• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Going Third-Party as BioWare Focuses on Mass Effect and Dragon Age

Draugoth

Gold Member

EA is nearing an agreement to move the ongoing development and operation of MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic from BioWare to third-party studio Broadsword Online Games, IGN has learned.

According to sources familiar with the matter, Broadsword and EA have signed a letter of intent, with the deal expected to be finalized as soon as this month. The agreement would see The Old Republic handed over to current Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot developer Broadsword Online, which is run by former Mythic Entertainment co-founder and BioWare VP Rob Denton, who previously worked on The Old Republic in its early days.

After the publication of this story, EA addressed the news in the following statement:

“Almost 12 years after launch, Star Wars: The Old Republic remains a success and continues to grow its dedicated and passionate community. We’re so proud of the work the team has done, and the future of the game and the community continues to be very bright. We’re evaluating how we give the game and the team the best opportunity to grow and evolve, which includes conversations with Broadsword, a boutique studio that specializes in delivering online, community-driven experiences. Our goal is to do what is best for the game and its players.”

Currently, roughly 70-80 people are part of the core development team of The Old Republic, more than half of whom are expected to move to Broadsword. Those remaining with EA would have an opportunity to look for roles elsewhere within the company, but may otherwise face layoffs.

The Old Republic will continue to see planned content updates, such as the upcoming patch 7.3 and the next PvP season, with more expected down the line. EA will remain as the game's publisher, while BioWare will focus its resources on single-player games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect. T=

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
That's the end of SWTOR as an impact MMO, once the original devs dump the MMO this is how it goes. It will be in lights-on mode going forward (though based on the length and quality of DLC the last couple of years you could argue it was already there).

JayK47

Interesting to hear that The Old Republic is still going strong. I still do not expect any new Dragon Age or Mass Effect games anytime soon. It is sad how long it takes to make a game these days.

diffusionx

Gold Member
From what I recall a different team entirely was set up in Austin to make this game, are they shutting down that studio? Transferring it to this other company? Because it’s the wrong BioWare to shut down. Does anyone actually think they will deliver a good new RPG?

Last edited:
Broadsword Online is good at keeping the lights on for old MMORPGs, but they sure as heck don't add much. Of course I had no idea this one was still alive, so..................

I KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2. I played the KOTOR MMO. I have the mmo installed but haven’t played it in months. I liked all those games, but the single player games were far superior simply because I like the gameplay better than mmo gameplay.

The real tragedy is that they quit making normal single player KOTOR games. I would have bought those every year if they had kept the formula the same.

Top Bottom