• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Official Trailer

royox

I watched the first season and the LGTBI and "Wemen are strong" pandering was too much to bear even thought I have to admit it ended in a good cliffhanger.

I enjoyed series 1 especially the loca twist. The main character looking like a lesbian but being straight whilst having a male name did annoy me at first.

My issue is with the second series being complete shit and stupid.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
Hmm I watched this first new episode in S3 tonight. It’s very bad. Shame, I thought the show had some promise. Just another fail for ST.

Quite sad to think there’s been nothing good since Voyager ended.

frostyxc

Hmm I watched this first new episode in S3 tonight. It’s very bad. Shame, I thought the show had some promise. Just another fail for ST.

Quite sad to think there’s been nothing good since Voyager ended.

You know, laddie, if you open your heart to Enterprise, Enterprise may just open its heart to you. There's nothing to be afraid of... except the usual caveat of season one being a bit bland.

Liberty4all

Banned
I guess I’m an outlier but I enjoyed Season 3 Episode 1. I thought season 1 was garbage but season 2 was better. Removing Discovery to the future opens up alot of fun storytelling avenues without worrying about canon.

I was a huge Andromada fan so very interested to see what they do with the same overarching “restore civilization” plotline they are ripping from Hercules in Space.

There was lots of fan service in this episode too such as the slipstream drive mention.

With that said this show is absolutely plagued with overbearing social justice worship so I’m not counting on much. I mean it’s not just a “little” SJW stuff ... it’s full blown, every SJW cliche possible. That’s the most annoying part of the show ... I enjoy the pew pew sci-fi stuff but the show is being produced by ideologues and suffers for it.

edit: Star Trek lower decks gets my vote too. It took a few episodes to find it’s feet but it’s loads of fun and feels very true to STNG storytelling style. Lots of fun!

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Not surprising that there's no thread for this yet. I'm guessing most people have given up on DSC. I didn't even watch any of season 2, based on the bad word of mouth. I'll check out CBS All Access again later this year for The Stand, and might give DSC another shot then.

Looks awful except for production values.

I just don't get this or Picard. Star Trek was always positive and hopeful and something the whole family can enjoy. I'm not against a more "adult" Star Trek but it's too much already.

This and Picard are dark, gritty and depressing. Parts of Picard lean close to Warhammer 40k levels like plopping out eyeballs out of people while they're awake and screaming.

Seriously what the fuck.

Even DS9 had hope. It had a strong leader and one of Star Trek's best main characters, Sisko. I love Sisko and Otto and Potatoes O-Brian and Quark. Even Quark being one of Star Trek's few regular characters that wasn't a "good guy" had lots of redeemable values.

You'll have an impossible time ever convincing me Gene Roddenberry would be okay with this.

Then I see the writers, directors and producers behind this and many have the thick rimmed glasses and beards and I keep thinking that these kinds of folks love violence and hopelessness.

Don't get me started on that awful looking cartoon too. Not a funny moment in the trailers.

I miss Star Trek.

Last edited:
I don't really understand how this is even called "Star Trek". Apart from a few trappings ("oh look, a phaser!", "it's Starfleet", etc) this has nothing to do with what Star Trek is about.

I wished they would have gone the way to show more regular stuff on board of the ship and finally show more of the crew.

But no, they went full action bullshit centering on Burnham, which has been a horrible character since episode 1 of season 1.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I don't really understand how this is even called "Star Trek". Apart from a few trappings ("oh look, a phaser!", "it's Starfleet", etc) this has nothing to do with what Star Trek is about.

I wished they would have gone the way to show more regular stuff on board of the ship and finally show more of the crew.

But no, they went full action bullshit centering on Burnham, which has been a horrible character since episode 1 of season 1.
Yup see my reply above your's because all of what you said is 100 percent true.

This is not Star Trek. Might as well be Rogue Trader 40k.

By the way I love Rogue Trader so that's not a knock against that game.

Last edited:
Apart from the show not being Star Trek, a few things I have to niggle on:

• feels in no way a thousand years into the future. More like 100 after TNG or Picard. In TNG they already had personal transporters (albeit dangerous ones). All that shit with the federaton could have happened in a hundred years as well.
  • imagine how crazy life would be in a thousand years from now on. It would be literally as not understandable to us as our current technology would be to a person from the dark ages. There would be a lot of transhumanistic shit going on probably.
  • yet they still need "bouncers" standing in front of the "shady place", and are still firing energy weapons that are not even finding their targets themselves.
  • imagine being the writer for this show, having the chance to depict humanity in the year 3000 and it's just a bit of different UI in space ships.
  • in the future, everybody seems to be a "person of color". Except white color... :D South Park was right, it seems. A few years ago I wouldn't even have noticed this, but the way this show went so far, you have to ask if this was deliberate.
  • Andorians look like ugly monsters now.
  • Michael Burnham is still a shitty protagonist and a Mary Sue.
  • it's Star Trek, yet it's punching faces and desintegrating people ALL THE FUCKING TIME like it's nothing. You are supposed to be the show with clever plotlines, not the PEW PEW one, tards.
I will watch a few more episodes, but if this is going to be "Michael Burnham's violent adventures in the year 3100", they can kiss my ass. Fuck them.

Forsythia

This has nothing to do with Star Trek anymore. Its generic scifi now. And Michael Burnham annoyed the fuck out of me this episode. Please kill her, I can't take it anymore.

And in the future the only white people you'll see are either crappy aliens or from the past. Wouldn't even have noticed honestly until somebody pointed out how great it was to have an episode without white people. Fuck you, you fucking racists, you're ruining another piece of media.

tkscz

Fat ginger bird is fuckable.

main character Michael looks like a Resetera member.
Fat ginger you say?

I've not watched the show after the first episode. It felt so much like they wanted Star Trek to be more like Star Wars. Rather than thought provoking characters, situations and plots, it's more about action and pseudo-emotional drama. I don't know if it happens in later episodes but where are the points where they sit and assess a situation and come up with resolutions for them? Where are the intrinsic character interactions and ideological headbutting? It's all space fights and Dead Space-esc gross out scenes. Just not what I was looking for.

This has nothing to do with Star Trek anymore. Its generic scifi now. And Michael Burnham annoyed the fuck out of me this episode. Please kill her, I can't take it anymore.

And in the future the only white people you'll see are either crappy aliens or from the past. Wouldn't even have noticed honestly until somebody pointed out how great it was to have an episode without white people. Fuck you, you fucking racists, you're ruining another piece of media.
I agree with some of your points but get a fucking grip about complaining about white people.

michael is the main character for 3 years who happens to be black. The episode introduces a new character who happens to be black. Don’t worry white people will make an appearance soon.

Forsythia

I agree with some of your points but get a fucking grip about complaining about white people.

michael is the main character for 3 years who happens to be black. The episode introduces a new character who happens to be black. Don’t worry white people will make an appearance soon.

I don't care that there are black characters, I'm just tired of the virtue signaling that it is great there are no white people in the episode. Imagine saying its great there are no black people in a show. That shit does more harm than good. My gripes with Burnham have nothing to do with her skin colour or gender.

Liberty4all

Banned

It’s clearly being done on purpose for racist reasons that’s why it’s being mentioned. It’s not a natural “this is just who the actors happened to be” it’s a full fledge SJW ideological bent to the show with racial, sexual and gender traits of every character clearly taking a top priority. Amusingly the only hetero white alpha male in season 1 they made sure to kill off horrifically after turning him into an evil villain. I’m sure though that sjw’s would state these thoughts are white fragility showing itself — it’s ironic that for the anti racists they claim to be, they are actuslly some of the most racist people in the world today.

anyways, the over the top SJW stuff is just a fact of life on the show, expect lots more of it -

i just block out or laugh at the SJW crap while enjoying the pew pew sci fi bits.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
Apart from the show not being Star Trek, a few things I have to niggle on:

• feels in no way a thousand years into the future. More like 100 after TNG or Picard. In TNG they already had personal transporters (albeit dangerous ones). All that shit with the federaton could have happened in a hundred years as well.
  • imagine how crazy life would be in a thousand years from now on. It would be literally as not understandable to us as our current technology would be to a person from the dark ages. There would be a lot of transhumanistic shit going on probably.
  • yet they still need "bouncers" standing in front of the "shady place", and are still firing energy weapons that are not even finding their targets themselves.
  • imagine being the writer for this show, having the chance to depict humanity in the year 3000 and it's just a bit of different UI in space ships.
  • in the future, everybody seems to be a "person of color". Except white color... :D South Park was right, it seems. A few years ago I wouldn't even have noticed this, but the way this show went so far, you have to ask if this was deliberate.
  • Andorians look like ugly monsters now.
  • Michael Burnham is still a shitty protagonist and a Mary Sue.
  • it's Star Trek, yet it's punching faces and desintegrating people ALL THE FUCKING TIME like it's nothing. You are supposed to be the show with clever plotlines, not the PEW PEW one, tards.
I will watch a few more episodes, but if this is going to be "Michael Burnham's violent adventures in the year 3100", they can kiss my ass. Fuck them.
Listen Fat, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Technology-advancement had been stunted by the great “burn” that led to a quasi dark-age. It explains pretty much everything.

I didn’t even notice the zero whites. Who gives a shit? I’m sure they’ll show up. Lower Decks and Picard are lousy with honkies.

Listen Fat, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Technology-advancement had been stunted by the great “burn” that led to a quasi dark-age. It explains pretty much everything.
No, it doesn't.
I didn’t even notice the zero whites. Who gives a shit? I’m sure they’ll show up. Lower Decks and Picard are lousy with honkies.
Like I said, a few years ago I wouldn't even have noticed this.
It just feels so obvious now they are pandering.

And don't even get me started on that "poor animals need to live in freedom" scene, which reminded me of that stupid horse liberation shit in The Last Jedi.

Stouffers

Banned
And don't even get me started on that "poor animals need to live in freedom" scene, which reminded me of that stupid horse liberation shit in The Last Jedi.
snl_1172_09_update_2_jeannie_darcy.png

It's just not a good show in general, neither is Picard. On the topic of 'diversity', the older shows handled it in a much more graceful and natural manner, this is just an affront.

MMaRsu

Banned
Can someone tell me what makes discovery bad? I've never been huge into trek but just started the next generation. If it's being too "woke" then star trek always has been. First interracial kiss, post-capitalist society, all genders equal. Diverse cast. It's literally what Gene's hope for the future was going to be, right?

Because its absolute trash

I miss real klingons. Honor bound warlike race. I miss seven of nine (pre pacard), miss me some Belana, and Deanna Troy, and crusher (Beverly not Wesley). Miss a captain will go nads, kirk, and sisko and Janeway to some extent. I miss compelling stories and believeable characters. I miss plots that had moralistic lessons and spoke against collectives and for individualism and against hive minds. Who did stories related to the real world by subtly and not beratting the audience. I miss when treks goal was to tell good scifi, not a political meesafe and woketard talking points. I miss Picard before he lost his mind and got TDS.

Okay, so this was the first episode where i really had to switch off while watching.
Damn, what a shit show.

And woke shit is officially through the fucking roof now in it.

* "Girl" with a Trill symbiont that looks like a retarded tomboy.
* Trill Symbiont was formerly in her former lover, also a gender fluid tomboyish girlish Idonthaveanyidea Trill.
* that rare male white Starfleet Admiral or whatever he was turned out to be gay after like one minute of screen time

I never had any problems with a racially diverse cast in Star Trek, and I didn't have a problem with the gay doctor and the fungus scientist in the first two seasons.
And maybe I wouldn't really care about all the woke stuff if the stories they are doing with it were ANY GOOD.
But what they are pulling off now is really a bit too much for me.

It's woke AND it's horribly bad, plus being Star Trek in name only.

I cannot relate to anything or anyone I see there anymore.
I really liked the show the first two seasons although seeing all of its story problems as well..
But at least I was reasonably entertained.
This is not bearable anymore.

Adios Discovery.

Forsythia

I'm hatewatching this basically. They literally nuked the universe for another "Michael Burnham will save everyone" plot. Burnham is an infuriating character, the uber Mary Sue. The whole universe revolves around her it seems.

It's woke for the sake of wokeness. The nonbinary and lesbian are the worst so far but I'm sure they find something to top this bullshit. What a way to mess up the Trill.

And to think there was a time where I thought Voyager was the worst Trek. That show is amazing compared to Discovery.

GreyHorace

So some disclosure, I'm watching this garbage on the same days The Mandalorian comes out. My brother is a big fan of the show though I'm at a loss as to why. It's nothing like any of the classic Star Trek series and has more in common with that other Kurtzmann abomination Picard.

The characters are fucking annoying and don't act at all like the crew of a military ship with a chain command. Episodes all seem to follow this stupid woke template of two factions fighting and it's up to the socially conscious crew of Discovery to settle their differences. Could they be more transparent with their agenda on this show?

I'll admit that I've only now started watching this crap and I never bothered with the first two seasons. But watching RedLetterMedia's hilarious reviews of them convinced me not to bother and I guess I was right. This really is a turd just like Mike Stoklasa and Rich Evans said it was.

I'm just sad that they may never review this newest season because Rich clearly has had enough.

Last edited:
They introduced The Burn because the writers don't want to have to deal with the difficult problematic imagination needed to render that far in the future. So let's reset back to medieval Starfleet.

I'll be interested to see if we get a look on a future Starfleet bridge, because that far in the future, consoles and buttons would be a thing of the past. Everything would be thought process, no clunky buttons. But that may take more imagination then Kurtzman can muster.

Forsythia

One good thing though, is that Discovery got my wife into Trek. We've watched TOS and are now on season 3 of TNG. It's quite the cleanser after watching Picard and Discovery. I appreciate the old shows even more (and I already loved them).

Stouffers

Banned
S3 has been fine, BUT I have an issue with the Trill character. Her “Wesley crusher” whimsical theme music and her dead boyfriends voice/acting almost did me in. Hopefully they move away from her music and the boyfriend stays dead.

Forsythia

So season 3 is over, and it has been a load of bull.

- The Burn was caused by some autistic kid who freaked out over his mother dying (at least it wasn't Burnham this time)
- Burnham is now captain of Discovery and Saru left without even a goodbye scene (the admiral was nearly brought to tears when promoting Burnham to captain 🤮)
- There are silly Star Wars like robots on Discovery
- The ship is mostly empty space which makes no sense whatsoever
- Culber and Stamets met this non-binary human and together with the Smurf symbionth which is inside them (lol) they're one happy queer family
- The Federation is already rebuilding after 1 season
- Georgiou went not only back in time but also to the mirror universe (yawn) and left the show

What a waste. The premise of this season (and the whole show for that matter) had great potential. But the writers have no idea how to write good characters and that is why we ended up with Burnham and this shitshow. It's sad what Star Trek has become.

Dr.D00p

The fat ginger bird still didn't die...I think the shows producers are just trolling her haters at this point.

Also, every time Burnham starts to cry, I feel like this

united airlines nasa GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom