• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars - Review Thread !

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game Information

Game Title: Sea of Stars

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 89 average - 99% recommended
Metacritic - 89 average - Based on 13 critics

Platforms:
  • PC (Aug 29, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Aug 29, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 29, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 29, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Aug 29, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Aug 29, 2023)

Critic Reviews

AltChar - 85 / 100
Sea of Stars is a pixel-art turn-based RPG that evokes memories of bygone gaming eras while delivering a distinctive experience immersed in a captivating narrative and very engaging gameplay.

But Why Tho? - 10 / 10
With Sea of Stars Sabotage has crafted a unique and engaging game that any fan of the genre will enjoy playing. Its polish and innovation make it not only a Game of the Year contender but also makes it deserving of being added to the pantheon of indie games’ greatest right up there with the likes of Celeste and Hades.

Cinelinx - 4.5 / 5
Sea of Stars may look and feel like an old-school RPG, but it’s story, music, and overall approach make for a stunning title for modern gamers to enjoy.

Console Creatures - Recommended
Sabotage Studio’s Sea of Stars is an instant classic. It is an engrossing story with beautiful characters bolstered with an exciting battle system that respects its predecessors while establishing its legacy.

Dexerto - 5 / 5
Sabotage Studio has accomplished its grand vision. With a mission statement of “creating definitive editions of the game genres we enjoyed as kids,” not only have they tactfully paid homage to their inspirations, but through a number of dazzling new ideas, they’ve now left an indelible mark on the JRPG genre. Sea of Stars is a modern classic.

Digital Trends - 4 / 5
Sabotage Studios blends aspects from Super Mario RPG, Illusion of Gaia, and Chrono Trigger to create Sea of Stars, its largest RPG yet. It incorporates combat quirks like timed hits and dual attacks that force you to pay attention way after you’ve selected a move, and keeps encounters exciting with the diverse enemies throughout the colorful, pixelated landscapes. All that, plus respectable storytelling, make it the best indie RPG that I’ve played this year.

GameBlast - Portuguese - 9 / 10
Sea of Stars is an exciting journey through a richly crafted world that combines nostalgic elements of classic RPGs with modern innovations. In the company of a captivating group of heroes, we dive into a spirited adventure full of twists and good times. In addition to having a well-constructed universe, the game enchants with beautiful visuals in pixel art and memorable soundtrack. As an RPG, the title offers a remarkable mix of elements. Turn-based combat captivates with real-time commands, many tactical options and characters with diverse styles. Exploration is agile with scenarios full of obstacles to be climbed or jumped, with several secrets, puzzles and alternative routes. And there's plenty to do, like optional quests and minigames. In the end, Sea of Stars perfectly balances nostalgia with contemporary elements, resulting in an unmissable RPG experience.

Gamepur - 10 / 10
Sea of Stars is a triumphant JRPG that pays homage to the classics and carves its own space in the pantheon of its best titles. The world and characters were excellent, and experiencing the story alongside them was an absolute joy. Whether it was combat, exploration, or puzzles, I always found myself fully invested in the adventures of Zale, Valere, and everyone else I met on the journey.

The masterful way that Sabotage Studio has been able to capture that feeling of adventure and nostalgia is nothing short of incredible, and Sea of Stars not only sits among some of the genre’s greatest, but it manages to exceed them. It is truly one of the best JRPGs I have ever played.

Gaming Instincts - 9.5 / 10
Sea of Stars is a true spiritual successor to turn-based JRPGs that I believe any fan of old-school Final Fantasy titles specifically Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire must play. I felt like I was teleported back to the PlayStation 1 days playing a classical turn-based JRPG.

Hey Poor Player - 5 / 5
Sure, it could be argued that in its opening hours, Sea of Stars doesn’t put its best foot forward, but when what follows an admittedly slow start is such a joyous experience, that’s nothing only a small blemish on an otherwise impeccable product that is easily forgiven. I’ve played a lot of retro-inspired RPGs over the past few years, and while I’ve enjoyed many, rarely have I come away with the opinion that they can hold a candle to their inspirations. Sea of Stars, on the other hand, not only manages to confidently stand shoulder to shoulder with the greats, but in many ways, improves on them to create an unmissable JRPG experience.

Kakuchopurei - 100 / 100
There's no other way to put this: Sea Of Stars is sublime from start to finish. It's a love letter to the best era of JRPGs -the late 90s to 2000s- made to look like the past but comes with a lot of newfangled modern-day features to duplicate the spirit and joy it emanates. And despite its obvious inspiration, it stands tall and proud on its own two feet, sword in one hand and Solar/Moon powers to blast away all doubt of JRPGs existing in proper and fun form in 2023.

Multiplayer First - 9 / 10
Sea of Stars will take any seasoned gamer back to a simpler times, when the games were colorful, flat, and lengthy. If you want a turn-based RPG that is easy to pick up and yet quite challenging, then you’ll want to check out Sea of Stars. Some of the enemies can occasionally cheese you to death, but it’s nothing that can’t be overcome. The added accessibility options are appreciated, and the imaginative story is entertaining. If you ever want to just chill with a simple game after a long day, Sea of Stars would be a good choice.

Pure Dead Gaming - 9 / 10
Sea of Stars is an outstanding title, if any newcomers were curious about turn based RPGs, this is the game I would steer them towards. Old hands will also have a great time revelling in this nostalgic quest. Although it may lack the full heft of a classic RPG, there is still enough meat on the bone to satisfy the seasoned RPG connoisseur. In a year already packed with future classics, this stands tall among them. Sabotage’s Kickstarter project has delivered exactly what the fans wanted and took no shortcuts in delivering their promised vision.

Rectify Gaming - 9 / 10
Sea of Stars is more than just a video game; it’s an enchanting journey that captures the essence of what makes RPGs beloved by gamers of all generations. Sabotage Studio has crafted a masterpiece that effortlessly balances nostalgia with innovation, creating a world that players will want to explore and protect. With its compelling narrative, stunning visuals, engaging gameplay mechanics, and unforgettable music, Sea of Stars is a celestial gem that deserves a place in every gamer’s collection.

The Beta Network - 9 / 10
Featuring a terrific turn-based battle system, eye-popping pixel-art, a colourful cast of characters and engaging exploration mechanics to boot, this prequel to 2018's The Messenger is more than worth the 30-hour time investment.

The Outerhaven Productions - 5 / 5
Sabotage Studio creates another masterpiece with Sea of Stars. With great gameplay mechanics, a thrilling narrative, and stunning visuals, there isn’t anything I would change about this game. Perfection is a word that comes to mind.

WellPlayed - 9.5 / 10
Sea of Stars is a breathtaking ride through familiarity and originality, engaging in its mechanics and colourful in its story, culminating in some of the best twists and turns of any RPG I’ve ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Excellent reviews so far

epEfJlM.png

Last edited:
Early reviews coming in strong! You love to see it!
Use the BB code feature from opencritic and paste all the data in the OP like this:

Game Information

Game Title: Sea of Stars

Platforms:
  • PC (Aug 29, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Aug 29, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 29, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 29, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Aug 29, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Aug 29, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Sabotage Studio

Publisher: Sabotage Studio

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - -1 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 85 / 100
Sea of Stars is a pixel-art turn-based RPG that evokes memories of bygone gaming eras while delivering a distinctive experience immersed in a captivating narrative and very engaging gameplay.

But Why Tho? - Charles Hartford - 10 / 10
With Sea of Stars Sabotage has crafted a unique and engaging game that any fan of the genre will enjoy playing. Its polish and innovation make it not only a Game of the Year contender but also makes it deserving of being added to the pantheon of indie games’ greatest right up there with the likes of Celeste and Hades.

Cinelinx - Becky O'Brien - 4.5 / 5
Sea of Stars may look and feel like an old-school RPG, but it’s story, music, and overall approach make for a stunning title for modern gamers to enjoy.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Sabotage Studio’s Sea of Stars is an instant classic. It is an engrossing story with beautiful characters bolstered with an exciting battle system that respects its predecessors while establishing its legacy.

Dexerto - Brad Norton - 5 / 5
Sabotage Studio has accomplished its grand vision. With a mission statement of “creating definitive editions of the game genres we enjoyed as kids,” not only have they tactfully paid homage to their inspirations, but through a number of dazzling new ideas, they’ve now left an indelible mark on the JRPG genre. Sea of Stars is a modern classic.

GameBlast - Farley Santos - Portuguese - 9 / 10
Sea of Stars is an exciting journey through a richly crafted world that combines nostalgic elements of classic RPGs with modern innovations. In the company of a captivating group of heroes, we dive into a spirited adventure full of twists and good times. In addition to having a well-constructed universe, the game enchants with beautiful visuals in pixel art and memorable soundtrack. As an RPG, the title offers a remarkable mix of elements. Turn-based combat captivates with real-time commands, many tactical options and characters with diverse styles. Exploration is agile with scenarios full of obstacles to be climbed or jumped, with several secrets, puzzles and alternative routes. And there's plenty to do, like optional quests and minigames. In the end, Sea of Stars perfectly balances nostalgia with contemporary elements, resulting in an unmissable RPG experience.

Gamepur - Matt Fuller - 10 / 10
Sea of Stars is a triumphant JRPG that pays homage to the classics and carves its own space in the pantheon of its best titles. The world and characters were excellent, and experiencing the story alongside them was an absolute joy. Whether it was combat, exploration, or puzzles, I always found myself fully invested in the adventures of Zale, Valere, and everyone else I met on the journey.

The masterful way that Sabotage Studio has been able to capture that feeling of adventure and nostalgia is nothing short of incredible, and Sea of Stars not only sits among some of the genre’s greatest, but it manages to exceed them. It is truly one of the best JRPGs I have ever played.

Gaming Instincts - Leonid Melikhov - 9.5 / 10
Sea of Stars is a true spiritual successor to turn-based JRPGs that I believe any fan of old-school Final Fantasy titles specifically Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire must play. I felt like I was teleported back to the PlayStation 1 days playing a classical turn-based JRPG.

Hey Poor Player - Shane Boyle - 5 / 5
Sure, it could be argued that in its opening hours, Sea of Stars doesn’t put its best foot forward, but when what follows an admittedly slow start is such a joyous experience, that’s nothing only a small blemish on an otherwise impeccable product that is easily forgiven. I’ve played a lot of retro-inspired RPGs over the past few years, and while I’ve enjoyed many, rarely have I come away with the opinion that they can hold a candle to their inspirations. Sea of Stars, on the other hand, not only manages to confidently stand shoulder to shoulder with the greats, but in many ways, improves on them to create an unmissable JRPG experience.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 100 / 100
There's no other way to put this: Sea Of Stars is sublime from start to finish. It's a love letter to the best era of JRPGs -the late 90s to 2000s- made to look like the past but comes with a lot of newfangled modern-day features to duplicate the spirit and joy it emanates. And despite its obvious inspiration, it stands tall and proud on its own two feet, sword in one hand and Solar/Moon powers to blast away all doubt of JRPGs existing in proper and fun form in 2023.

Multiplayer First - Paulmichael Contreras - 9 / 10
Sea of Stars will take any seasoned gamer back to a simpler times, when the games were colorful, flat, and lengthy. If you want a turn-based RPG that is easy to pick up and yet quite challenging, then you’ll want to check out Sea of Stars. Some of the enemies can occasionally cheese you to death, but it’s nothing that can’t be overcome. The added accessibility options are appreciated, and the imaginative story is entertaining. If you ever want to just chill with a simple game after a long day, Sea of Stars would be a good choice.

Pure Dead Gaming - DeadbeatpunK - 9 / 10
Sea of Stars is an outstanding title, if any newcomers were curious about turn based RPGs, this is the game I would steer them towards. Old hands will also have a great time revelling in this nostalgic quest. Although it may lack the full heft of a classic RPG, there is still enough meat on the bone to satisfy the seasoned RPG connoisseur. In a year already packed with future classics, this stands tall among them. Sabotage’s Kickstarter project has delivered exactly what the fans wanted and took no shortcuts in delivering their promised vision.

Rectify Gaming - Henry - 9 / 10
Sea of Stars is more than just a video game; it’s an enchanting journey that captures the essence of what makes RPGs beloved by gamers of all generations. Sabotage Studio has crafted a masterpiece that effortlessly balances nostalgia with innovation, creating a world that players will want to explore and protect. With its compelling narrative, stunning visuals, engaging gameplay mechanics, and unforgettable music, Sea of Stars is a celestial gem that deserves a place in every gamer’s collection.

The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 9 / 10
Featuring a terrific turn-based battle system, eye-popping pixel-art, a colourful cast of characters and engaging exploration mechanics to boot, this prequel to 2018's The Messenger is more than worth the 30-hour time investment.

WellPlayed - Mark Isaacson - 9.5 / 10
Sea of Stars is a breathtaking ride through familiarity and originality, engaging in its mechanics and colourful in its story, culminating in some of the best twists and turns of any RPG I’ve ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

Last edited:
I'll repost mine in here since I didn't see the review thread lol. adamsapple adamsapple (Sorry mods, you can delete the one in the OT thread if you want, there was no review thread prior to that so that's why I posted it there)

Reviews are out - here is ours (mine) - ANOTHER BANGER!

Score - 9.5/10 - Welcome Back Chrono Trigger

Written - https://www.gaminginstincts.com/review/sea-of-stars-review-welcome-back-chrono-trigger/

man its crazy how 2023 turned into like, one of the best gaming years in a long ass time
I need to contact my local time traveling agent and ask him for additional days in the year or extended hours for a day lol. But sadly, I am a poor man and the service is very expensive...I'll try to nickle and dime him for a 1 month extended year deal.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Scores are better than I was expecting so far. The demo honestly didn't leave a fantastic impression, so I'm glad that it seems like it delivers.

30 hours sounds just about perfect.

Currently sitting at a 94 on Opencritic.
That's pretty absurd for an indie with all the crazy titles that are out already and are coming out and what's crazier to me is that I had play in OpenCritc meta average, kind of feels surreal. Jesus, what a year to be an RPG fan. This year will go down in history.

Last edited:

TexMex

Been extremely excited for this for a couple years now. Huge fan of The Messenger. I can't wait, can't believe it's almost here. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

StereoVsn

My wallet can't take all these amazing games, and more importantly, i don't have a clone of myself to have the time to play all of these when i want to!
Yeah, that's even more important. I might grab it on Steam anyway, to support the devs and because the game looks damn good.

It's on GamePass as well for folks with the sub.

Edit: Oh damn, PS+ as well...

Last edited:
Any word on length? Wouldn’t complain about 20-25 hours, but wouldn’t mind more. Paper Mario is 20 hours, and one of my all-time favorites. So I wouldn’t complain either way!

I never had any doubts, I've been championing this as my most anticipated indie game and one of my most overall ever since the Kickstater 3.5 years ago. So excited to play and so happy for the team to get such great reviews!

StereoVsn

This probably might interest you, there's a physical release coming early 2024: https://rpgamer.com/2023/08/sea-of-stars-getting-physical-release-in-early-2024/. I'm planning on grab it then to support the devs and now I'll just play it via PS+.
Ooh, thanks for the tip and yeah, that's a great idea! Will do some remote play on PS+ version (it's just asking for that handheld look) and will grab the Switch physical!

And let's face it, between BG3, my backlog, Cyberpunk expansion and Starfield (will try to hold out for patches on this one, but will probably fail) I won't have much time right now anyways.

Wow; my mind is so warped... Thought this was a secretive Starfield Review thread... WIll check this out, its looking better anyway.... no platform to play Starfield(No Xbox, no PC) but I do have PS5 and Switch... And THE better space based RPG. lol

Edit: AND I don't even have to pay for it on PS?!(Was sorta considering switch Piracy, but is been so long since I've touched the switch)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Oh awesome, it looked neat but didn't think it'd land as hot as this. Might have to peek in.

bender

What time is it?
Looking forward to trying this but I can't help but to think back to the critical reception of The Messenger and how far divorced my thoughts were to the critical reception. /Debbie Downer

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Looking forward to trying this but I can't help but to think back to the critical reception of The Messenger and how far divorced my thoughts were to the critical reception. /Debbie Downer
I havent seen anything that would make me rate this a 94 yet. Just gonna wait to play it. Would love for it to live up to that. We'll see.

Top Bottom