• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars - Review Thread !

Toots

Gold Member
All that just to say “I don’t get why someone has a different opinion than I have. It’s so weird.”

Different folks and all that.
Three sentences to explain with a bit of argumentation that why i think these specific critics are not valid is too much for you.
You truly are an edgelord :/

PS : "I don't get people who...." is a figure of speech. It is a less harsh way to say : "of course i get why they don't like it, it's because they are formidable morons."

edit : people who don't like the combat system or say it is repetitive (moreso than any other turn based rpgs) aren't formidable morons, but i think they just didn't give it a chance and are making a dishonest claim.
There i feel better.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Hard not to take it personally when you .... personally start attacking me and accusing me of having an old plasma screen or something.

Like I said, go fuck yourself. In fact, blocked. I've never had a positive interaction with you (I remember you started some beef with me last time for no reason).
If you can’t take a joke about a TV, then it’s probably good to block me. Bye 👋

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I blocked that other person. No interest in interacting with dickheads who just seem to want a fight.

Anyway yeah I'm not saying others cannot enjoy pixel art games on TVs, I just found it a bit unbearable on my large 4K TV.

Also yes I found it very pleasant to look at on the Switch OLED screen. I'm usually not a handheld mode person but this game in particular looks great.
Just because you blocked me doesn’t mean I can’t see your posts. Calling me a dickhead after blocking me is classy.

Pimpollo818

Couple hours in and this game feels kind of soulless to me. I'm not sure why. The presentation is top notch though. Probably won't be enough to keep me playing unless the game picks up soon. Overall disappointed with what I've played so far.
This is interesting. I come from the codex and the general consensus seems to be: if the visuals and sound aren't enough to keep you hooked, again, the game does a GREAT job at throwing new music and art at you at a ridiculous pace, then ppl may nope out. it didn't/doesn't bother me that the story and characterization ARE NOT planescape torment tier, as I said, it's Saturday morning cartoon tone/tier writing.

SpiceRacz

This is interesting. I come from the codex and the general consensus seems to be: if the visuals and sound aren't enough to keep you hooked, again, the game does a GREAT job at throwing new music and art at you at a ridiculous pace, then ppl may nope out. it didn't/doesn't bother me that the story and characterization ARE NOT planescape torment tier, as I said, it's Saturday morning cartoon tone/tier writing.

I'm coming around on the game after spending more time with it. The story is picking up a bit and the gameplay is pretty solid. I'm gonna stick with it after all.

foamdino

Just an hour into this, not hit it's stride really. Love the art, not 100% convinced about combat (but then it's so early I haven't really done much). I'll probably keep going as I like turn-based games for when I'm too tired to engage in a real-time/action system.

September though - too many titles to play

SpiceRacz

I'm well past this area, but when you get to Coral Cascades and the music hits. Good lord. The art and music really start to come together.

I've never liked Triple Triad, Tetra Master, Gwent etc. not even poker in Read Dead. I never take to the side games in RPGs
I barely play side games too, but it would depend on how fun they are and if they serve any purpose other than just additional small side content. I thought it was ok.

RagnarokIV

I barely play side games too, but it would depend on how fun they are and if they serve any purpose other than just additional small side content. I thought it was ok.
Have you finished the game yet? I've been enjoying it but last night I saw the GamePass app says average of 26 hours to beat main story and almost shat my pants!
Where is everyone getting their free time from to finish this already?

Have you finished the game yet? I've been enjoying it but last night I saw the GamePass app says average of 26 hours to beat main story and almost shat my pants!
Where is everyone getting their free time from to finish this already?
No clue. I had the game since mid August (Review copy) but it was a bit tough playing it because I also had to review Atlas Fallen and Blasphemous 2 and those games were coming it. So I had to juggle 3 games at once prior to their embargo dates.

I got very close to the end I believe with the time I had before the embargo date lifted.

Last edited:

Fbh

Is Garl secretly the best character or something?
Because otherwise I don't see why anyone would add him to the party. He doesn't do anything better than the other characters and since he has no elemental attribute to his attacks he is useless to stop most strong attacks from enemies.

Unrelated but is there a list of which tracks Mitsuda composed? I have some guesses but I'd like to confirm.

So when exactly am I supposed to press A with serai on that move that she teleports and hits multiple people?

I struggled a bit with that one too
It's right AFTER she throws.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Just got to the ghost ship that you can control and I'm starting to get bored. Should I push on? How much/what is after this section?

jorgejjvr

Is Garl secretly the best character or something?
Because otherwise I don't see why anyone would add him to the party. He doesn't do anything better than the other characters and since he has no elemental attribute to his attacks he is useless to stop most strong attacks from enemies.

Unrelated but is there a list of which tracks Mitsuda composed? I have some guesses but I'd like to confirm.

I struggled a bit with that one too
It's right AFTER she throws.
Can it essentially go on forever like Valere?

She comes out of portal, throws spear, then instantly after press A?

Last edited:

Thief1987

Just got to the ghost ship that you can control and I'm starting to get bored. Should I push on? How much/what is after this section?
Oh, you are not even at the half-point, close to it though. It's for you to decide is it worth to continue or not, but I can say that nothing will change in the game to make your experience more interesting.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I need to bitch about this game. WTF!!!!! I am only 2 hours in and there are these burrowing worms that summon others that kill my party if the RNG tells them too. It seems like nobody play tested this. Battle starts with 3 worms. They are very strong against normal attacks so you need to do the charge thing which requires burning normal attacks to drop the orbs you can use to charge. Anyway what tends to happen is that 2 of them will summon more. You have 2 chances to break this but chances are you won't be in a position to do so because the break requires the right people 2 attack and you have to deal with 2 of them and where you are with who is up in the roster. These 2 summon 2 and then you have 5 of them, then maybe you kill one and 2 summon 2 more. It's basically impossible to win. It is so awful and so avoidable as a dev. Games that have a clue limit summons so they don't stack.

Other than this terrible design escape, the game seems good. I just don't want to get assraped by shitty design again.

I need to bitch about this game. WTF!!!!! I am only 2 hours in and there are these burrowing worms that summon others that kill my party if the RNG tells them too. It seems like nobody play tested this. Battle starts with 3 worms. They are very strong against normal attacks so you need to do the charge thing which requires burning normal attacks to drop the orbs you can use to charge. Anyway what tends to happen is that 2 of them will summon more. You have 2 chances to break this but chances are you won't be in a position to do so because the break requires the right people 2 attack and you have to deal with 2 of them and where you are with who is up in the roster. These 2 summon 2 and then you have 5 of them, then maybe you kill one and 2 summon 2 more. It's basically impossible to win. It is so awful and so avoidable as a dev. Games that have a clue limit summons so they don't stack.

Other than this terrible design escape, the game seems good. I just don't want to get assraped by shitty design again.
Yea i had the same complaint. Read the thread. (use magic)

As far as Garl, yea i hated him as a pseudo main character, it gets worse and everybody is head over heels for this chubby bastard. Not me.

The timing is awkward, its more of a musical feel than a graphical tick, just go with the rhythem. Almost all my boomerangs were 25x same with that ninja chick, just dont watch the screen.

Raven117

Im about half way…. It’s a good game. But it’s not super excellent or anything.

Lasts a bit of the special sauce that the truly great games of this style have

Thief1987

Yeah they are very annoying enemies for sure, especially if RNG is against you. In my case I was lucky and they swarmed me only once and in the other fights RNG was on my side. There won't be enemies like this further in the game, so you need to deal with them only in this level.

Last edited:
It looks like there might be more sequels. At least that's what I've heard.

Sabotage has stated they have most of the studio working on their next game now. Nothing necessarily confirmed but I would imagine, given their style and the universe they created, it may tie in with The Messenger and Sea of Stars. I wouldn't mind a direct sequel either, Golden Sun 2 style. At this point I trust their team to make an excellent quality game no matter what direction they take. If both of your studio's first games are this good, despite being completely different genres, that is something special.

100% annoying situation that should not have made it past play testing. I think it's intentional and meant to get you in the habit of using your magic early and often. If you get a moonerang or dash strike in early and use the orbs with Garl, they go down quickly.

Im about half way…. It’s a good game. But it’s not super excellent or anything.

Lasts a bit of the special sauce that the truly great games of this style have

I went in blind and was in agreement with you. Between the demo and early hours of the game, even though I was having fun, I was nervous it would not deliver and feel like too much of a copycat game to be special on its own. It really improves after the halfway point, in terms of plot and narrative, and most would say it gets better from there.

Raven117

Sabotage has stated they have most of the studio working on their next game now. Nothing necessarily confirmed but I would imagine, given their style and the universe they created, it may tie in with The Messenger and Sea of Stars. I wouldn't mind a direct sequel either, Golden Sun 2 style. At this point I trust their team to make an excellent quality game no matter what direction they take. If both of your studio's first games are this good, despite being completely different genres, that is something special.

100% annoying situation that should not have made it past play testing. I think it's intentional and meant to get you in the habit of using your magic early and often. If you get a moonerang or dash strike in early and use the orbs with Garl, they go down quickly.

I went in blind and was in agreement with you. Between the demo and early hours of the game, even though I was having fun, I was nervous it would not deliver and feel like too much of a copycat game to be special on its own. It really improves after the halfway point, in terms of plot and narrative, and most would say it gets better from there.
I’m at the
alchemist in my party point
. You think it gets better from here?

Honestly, I’m thinking about dropping it, but if you are saying it gets better…. I May reconsider. (Again, not that it’s bad, it’s just that there is a lot of good stuff out right now)

I’m at the
alchemist in my party point
. You think it gets better from here?

Honestly, I’m thinking about dropping it, but if you are saying it gets better…. I May reconsider. (Again, not that it’s bad, it’s just that there is a lot of good stuff out right now)

The story picks up a lot from here, and that character is awesome. Adds a lot to the gameplay and plot.

Top Bottom