• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike Video Game Award nominees

Game of the Year
Halo: Reach (Microsoft/Bungie Studios)

Studio of the Year
Bungie Studios

Best Xbox 360 Game
Alan Wake (Microsoft/Remedy)

Best PS3 Game
God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment/SCE Studios Santa Monica)

Best Shooter
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Electronic Arts/DICE)

Best Multiplayer Game

Best Music Game
Rock Band 3 (MTV Games/Harmonix)

Best Soundtrack

Best Song in a Game
Won't Back Down by Eminem (Call of Duty: Black Ops)

Best Original Score
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games/Rockstar San Diego)

Best Graphics

Best Adapted Video Game
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft Chengdu)

Best Performance by a Human Male
Rob Wiethoff as John Marston (Red Dead Redemption/Rockstar Games)

Best Downloadable Game
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal/ Ubisoft Chengdu)

Best DLC
Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare (Rockstar Games/Rockstar San Diego)

Best Independent Game
Super Meat Boy (Team Meat)

Most Anticipated Game
Portal 2 (Valve/Valve)

Aokage said:
I'm sorry. Uh.

Bayonetta isn't nominated for "Best Action Adventure Game"? What the FUCK?

Not trying to start anything, but do these shows have something against Japanese, non mainstream games? No Galaxy 2, Super Street Fighter 4, BlazBlue, Bayonetta, Vanquish? Was Demon's Souls even nominated for anything last year? It seems to be more of a popularity contest based on mainstream appeal or unit sales instead of quality unfortunately.

Best PS3 Game
Heavy Rain (Sony Computer Entertainment/Quantic Dream)
ModNation Racers (Sony Computer Entertainment/United Front Games)
RDR is multiplat, right?

Nert

Rhazer Fusion said:
Not trying to start anything, but do these shows have something against Japanese, non mainstream games? No Galaxy 2, Super Street Fighter 4, BlazBlue, Bayonetta, Vanquish? Was Demon's Souls even nominated for anything last year? It seems to be more of a popularity contest based on mainstream appeal or unit sales instead of quality unfortunately.

I'm kind of surprised by the existence of an indie category at all. At least Super Meat Boy might end up getting *something.* But yeah, not a lot of Japanese games on those lists.

sdornan

GhaleonQ said:
Japan, represent!

Metroid: Other M (Nintendo/Team Ninja/Nintendo)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Konami / Kojima Productions)
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (Nintendo/ Level-5)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo/Nintendo)
Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix/Square Enix)
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo/Good-Feel)

Oh, come ON, Spike. I know this award show is purposely bad, but no amount of Mountain Dew plugging can distract from 9 slots out of 100 or so.
Which games do you think are missing?

I think it's a fair list. Could be way worse. Did you really expect them to nominate <insert_niche_game> for <insert_category>?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Rhazer Fusion said:

The fact that they don't have a fighting game category baffles me.

kinggroin

Banned
sdornan said:

I think it's a fair list. Could be way worse. Did you really expect them to nominate <insert_niche_game> for <insert_category>?

If there was any kind of integrity, being niche wouldn't (shouldn't) factor into this.

Meier

I am surprised that SMG2 did not get nominated more. I think it's a pretty good list of nominees though all told.

sdornan

kinggroin said:
If there was any kind of integrity, being niche wouldn't (shouldn't) factor into this.
But it always does. Look at the list of Grammy nominees for the past decade.

I guess I just have low expectations when it comes to awards shows.

szaromir said:
By dudebro games I meant exactly the games above - I know the term is oriented more towards shooters akin GoW or CoD, but I meant high budget blockbusters that are shooter oriented (5 out of 7 fit the description). Look at this year's GOTY nominees...
And 5 out of 7 critically acclaimed games fit that description as well. You're really grasping at straws if you're calling Bioshock or Uncharted 2 "dudebro" games.

szaromir

Banned
Loxley said:
I have a feeling Red Dead and Black Ops will sweep the show, which I have no problem with; both were excellent games.

I am, however, staying tuned in to GAF during the awards anyway to watch the obligatory "Yeah these awards are bullshit anyway" reactions when ME2 doesn't win GotY :lol

I can't believe I'm actually defending this B-list award show, but here's a list of the previous GotY winners:

2003 - Madden 2004
2004 - GTA: San Andreas
2005 - Resident Evil 4
2006 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2007 - Bioshock
2008 - Grand Theft Auto IV
2009 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Yeah man, just look at all those Dudebro shooters that won the Game of the Year. Absolutely none of those games were critical darlings :lol
By dudebro games I meant exactly the games above - I know the term is oriented more towards shooters akin GoW or CoD, but I meant high budget blockbusters that are shooter oriented (5 out of 7 fit the description). Look at this year's GOTY nominees...

squicken

It's weird that FF13 got a nomination, but I doubt the nomination panel plays obscure Bulgarian CRPGs.

The only categories that bug me are the voice acting set. Sam Worthington? I don't hate him like most people on GAF, but his accent was all over the place in Blops. Felicia Day? Just b/c she is some nerd goddess?

More broadly, celebraphilia makes sense with the Oscars and VMAs. But by pandering so sadly to Hollywood, it just cheapens the work that the actual game makers do.

Miggytronz

Game of the Year
Studio of the Year
Bungie Studios
Best Xbox 360 Game
Best PS3 Game
Best Wii Game
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo/Nintendo)
Best PC Game
NA
Best Handheld Game
God of War: Ghost of Sparta (Sony Computer Entertainment / Ready At Dawn Studios)
Best Shooter
Best Action Adventure Game
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal)
Best RPG
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts/BioWare)
Best Multiplayer Game
Best Individual Sports Game
NA
Best Team Sports Game
FIFA Soccer 11 (Electronic Arts/EA Canada)
Best Driving Game
NA
Best Music Game
NA
Best Soundtrack
NA
Best Song in a Game
Far Away by José González (Red Dead Redemption)
Best Original Score
Best Graphics
Best Adapted Video Game
Transformers: War for Cybertron (Activision/High Moon Studios)
Best Performance by a Human Male
Nathan Fillion as Sergeant Edward Buck (Halo: Reach/Microsoft)
Best Performance by a Human Female
Yvonne Strahovski as Miranda Lawson (Mass Effect 2/Electronic Arts)
Best Downloadable Game
NA
Best DLC
Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare (Rockstar Games/Rockstar San Diego)
Best Independent Game
Limbo (PlayDead)
Most Anticipated Game
Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment/Rocksteady Studios)

Pooya

squicken said:
The only categories that bug me are the voice acting set. Sam Worthington? I don't hate him like most people on GAF, but his accent was all over the place in Blops. Felicia Day? Just b/c she is some nerd goddess?
No, her performance was surprisingly great in the game, I didn't expect it to be that great, she deserves it I think. Sam Worthington is awful I agree.

I bet Black Ops will win Game of The Year.

It's almost inevitable really.
Though I'm hoping either Mass Effect 2 or Halo: Reach wins.

Also, Bungie should win Studio of the Year, without a doubt.

szaromir

Banned
sdornan said:
And 5 out of 7 critically acclaimed games fit that description as well. You're really grasping at straws if you're calling Bioshock or Uncharted 2 "dudebro" games.

Definitely not.

GhaleonEB

squicken said:
It's weird that FF13 got a nomination, but I doubt the nomination panel plays obscure Bulgarian CRPGs.

More broadly, celebraphilia makes sense with the Oscars and VMAs. But by pandering so sadly to Hollywood, it just cheapens the work that the actual game makers do.
I like how Fillion is up for a nom when he has one minute of dialog on a sub-mission that appears once in three play thorughs of the level he's on.

squicken

GhaleonEB said:
I like how Fillion is up for a nom when he has one minute of dialog on a sub-mission that appears once in three play thorughs of the level he's on.

Rabbitwork said:
how is nathan fillion nominated for THREE LINES OF DIALOGUE?

okay this is the worst nomination. I had forgot he was even in the game.

WillyFive

Man, these awards are absolutely awful. Might as well be the MTV Awards.

It's like honoring which games had the biggest budget on the HD systems.

RDR should take GOTY.... but it's Spike, so either Halo, CoD, or Mass Effect will. :lol

But anyway, who cares about the rewards. I'll be watching for the Uncharted 3 premiere *crosses fingers*

MAtgS

sdornan said:

I'd say Kingdom Hearts BBS for best handheld would've been a heck of a lot less niche than layton & scribblenauts.

& maybe TvC for Wii.

sdornan

szaromir said:
Definitely not.
Okay, I was exaggerating, but my point still stands: the majority of high-profile game releases involve shooting things, so it shouldn't be too surprising to see a bunch of shooters on this list.

MAtgS said:
I'd say Kingdom Hearts BBS for best handheld would've been a heck of a lot less niche than layton & scribblenauts.
Fair enough, though Layton did get better reviews than the two others.

& maybe TvC for Wii.
I've gotta admit that not having a fighting category is kind of weird.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah I would have rather seen Hakeem Kae-Kazim (Jorge's voice actor) up there, I thought he did the best job in the game. But of course, he's not famous.

Xater

Black Ops is fun but no where near GOTY material. :lol

Sam Worthington as Alex Mason (Call of Duty: Black Ops/Activision)

Holy shit I almost missed this. Oh fuck off Spike. :lol

English isn't my native language and even I heard the Australien in his perfomance.

GhaleonEB

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I would have rather seen Hakeem Kae-Kazim (Jorge's voice actor) up there, I thought he did the best job in the game. But of course, he's not famous.
Same, he did a great job. Heck, I thought Kat's voice actor was excellent. But like you said, Fillion - whom I like a great deal - got the nom for who he was. It was a cameo, FFS. It's an insult to all the other excellent voice work in Reach, not to mention other games.

scently

GhaleonEB said:
Same, he did a great job. Heck, I thought Kat's voice actor was excellent. But like you said, Fillion - whom I like a great deal - got the nom for who he was. It was a cameo, FFS. It's an insult to all the other excellent voice work in Reach, not to mention other games.

Indeed.

Sadist

Donkey Kong as best Wii game? It's not even out yet.

And Galaxy 2 nowhere near the game of the year nominees?

Ha

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My picks, given the nominees:

Game of the Year: Only played Mass Effect 2 of the five; don't like GoW as a franchise, don't like Call of Duty as a franchise, still haven't finished ODST single player, and stopped about a quarter of the way through RDR.

Studio of the Year: All four nominees suck; RSD released a pretty great game, but it had a seriously troubled development. Bungie released, again, a supposedly pretty great game, but they've been working on it for years. Ditto Blizzard. Ditto BioWare, really. Unless Studio of the Year means "Studio that made the Game of the Year", this is a pretty bad category. Of the four I'd give it to BioWare simply because they appear to be working on a lot of projects at once, doing well with all of them, and did good in terms of post-release Mass Effect 2 DLC support.

Best 360 Game: Played every nominee except Halo Reach; liked Alan Wake, liking Fable 3 so far. Mass Effect 2 is pretty unambiguously the best received game of the three, though.
Best PS3 Game: Didn't play GOW, don't think it makes sense to give it to a multiplatform title. Heavy Rain and Modnation Racers both succeeded in very different ways. I'd probably give the edge to Heavy Rain although I liked MNR a lot.
Best Wii Game: DKCR isn't out, M:OM is seriously divisive, KEY is divisive on GAF (AKA Amir0x doesn't like it and will make this point very obviously everywhere he posts). SMG2, meanwhile, huge metascores. Personally SMG2 didn't really capture me, I'd give it to KEY between the two.
Best PC Game: I'd eliminate FNV and ME2 by virtue of being multiplatform. Haven't played either of the other two.
Best Handheld Game: Haven't played any of them.

Shooter: Only played BS2, wasn't all that impressed.
Action Adventure: SMG2 isn't an action adventure game, haven't played ACB or GOW, didn't finish RDR... so....

RPG: I think I'd say that I liked Mass Effect 2 more, but F:NV is the better RPG.
Multiplayer: Haven't played any of them.
Sports/Team Sports: Haven't played any of them.
Driving: LOL no GT5. This has gotta go to Hot Pursuit, although I've only played MNR
Music: Dance Central by a long shot.

Soundtrack: No input, depends on the type of music you like. Clearly all 4 nominees well represent the target genres of music they were going for.
Best Song: The Goldeneye theme is the only one recorded specifically for the game, so fuck the other ones. It's not like we're talking about "best use of a song", half the nominees are just tracks in music games.
Original Score: No input, played 1.5 out of 4
Graphics: No input, but I'd argue that KEY has the best style of the four while GOW3 is the most technically complex. Both RDR and HR looked greater though.
Adapted Video Game: Lego HP is good, but probably I'd give this one to Scott Pilgrim. Didn't play any of the other three.

Male: Illusive Man; Craig, Oldman, and Worthington didn't really do that great from what I've heard, Cleese is good but really is just lending his voice, there's not much "acting" involved, Fillion is barely in his game.
Female: No input, but Jennifer Hale's VA for ME2 is quite good.

Best Downloadable: None of the above, holy shit. I liked Costume Quest the best.
Best DLC: I don't see how, based purely on scope, it could be anything other than Undead Nightmare.
Independent: I'd give it to Meat Boy over Winterbottom, didn't play the full Limbo and haven't tried Joe Danger.

Most Anticipated is a joke category by definition, although I'm personally anticipating all four nominees quite a bit.

szaromir

Banned
sdornan said:
Okay, I was exaggerating, but my point still stands: the majority of high-profile game releases involve shooting things, so it shouldn't be too surprising to see a bunch of shooters on this list.
Why do nominees have to be high profile releases? That's my point, shooting is a secondary complaint. But again, these nominations have million other retarted choices (just look at VA discussion).

jergrah

ModNation Racers for best PS3 game? What? The game isnt horrible by any means, but it's not good enough to be mentioned as a nominee in my opinion.

Anyways - as for GotY - my vote would be #1 Mass Effect 2 #1A RDR

graywolf323

Best PC Game
Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda Softworks/Obsidian Entertainment)
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts/BioWare)
Sid Meier's Civilization V (2K Games/Firaxis)
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Blizzard Entertainment/Blizzard Entertainment)

oh man that category is loaded

Hamblasto

Fimbulvetr said:
Next thing you're gonna want holographic cartoon characters at US pop concerts?

While not pop, it has been done.

On topic, I would like to see a more varied list of nominees, but for such a joke of an award show, that's like saying I'd like better bread with my turd sandwich.

Hey You

Why cant we vote in any other categories beside Most anticipate game?

Edit: Best PS3 game catergory includes a Mult-Platform game? Sony must not have much exclusives this year.

Dizzy-4U

Best Soundtrack
Def Jam Rapstar (Konami/Autumn Games /4mm Games)
DJ Hero 2 (Activision/FreeStyleGames)
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (Activision/Neversoft Entertainment)
All licenced music? What's the point? Fuck that.

No Super Meat Boy? No Nier? This sucks...

wmat said:
CMD-F —› "Amnesia" —› 0 Results.

Fuck this shit yo.
Agreed.

Top Bottom