• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Singleplayer, 4-6x size of Sunset, Spider-Man is 23, has Peter gameplay

c0Zm1c

I do hope it has a full day/night cycle.

I will be disappointed if it doesn't have that. I played a little Spider-Man 2 just recently and, given the age of that game, it's surprisingly atmospheric swinging around the lit up buildings at night after the sun has set. That in this game, with it's modern visuals and detail, could be absolutely jaw-dropping.

Spinluck

Maybe, it just me, but I don't want to believe that Spiderman is so cool for videogames that all the coolest setpieces have to be QTEs. I believe Insomoniac should design the coolest setpiece ever imagined in Spiderman game and use that to drive the development of the game by making it fully playable.

I complete agree. The train sequence actually drove the whole development of Uncharted 2. There was so much of planning and hard work to get that segment to be playable. They could have gone the route of QTEs but "Uncharted 2 was able to stand out from the crowd and wow players with things they have never seen before."

Watch this GDC video to set how much work it took to get the playable train sequence to work in Uncharted 2. Among Friends - An Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Post-Mortem Train Sequence

Once again, an asinine comparison.

The mission structure and game genres aren't even the same.

No one here has yet to show a game with a similar sequence that executed this with complete control over the main character. Instead lets arm chair game dev this, and add split seconds of controllable gameplay that will somehow make the game more fun even though the outcome will be the same, and the devs won't get to tell the story they want to tell.

Looking back at it, the QTEs served more as a transition into gameplay more than anything.

I don't think that's a common sentiment. Maybe on GAF, but for the majority, seeing the action on-screen, with prompts that reflect that actual controls (ie triggers for webbing, attack buttons for attacks in God of War, etc.) does make it feel like they are that character. By having the controls carry over, you are naturally pressing the same button that would perform that action but having a bigger cooler action happen, thus it feels like you're in control.

It's a psychological thing

Totally this, the prompts put some people into a negative feeling, the best thing would be to teach the player in a way that when that moment comes they don't need prompts, the know what to do but this is the first Spider-Man game in a long time that gets mainstream attention and people don't know what kind of things they do, how they should react or pay attention to in different situations.

As I said before, in Uncharted set pieces you don't have many prompts, you most of the time know what to do but is not that you have much choices. Some situations are more flexible but in others you just watch what happen and press the right buttons to see that happen, they just don't show you the buttons.

ITSMILNER

I will be disappointed if it doesn't have that. I played a little Spider-Man 2 just recently and, given the age of that game, it's surprisingly atmospheric swinging around the lit up buildings at night after the sun has set. That in this game, with it's modern visuals and detail, could be absolutely jaw-dropping.

A weather effects system on top of a day/night cycle would be immense, swinging around NYC at night in a thunderstorm is something I want to see

CryptiK

This is the first game in the MGU/MIU right? Wonder what we'll see next. Going by the release date on this alone nothing soon :(

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I just googled that Yuri Watanabe Pete is talking to in the demo and wow turns out she has an alter ego too.

Maybe we get to see Wraith in the game? :O

2017-06-1700_16_22-yu00uq5.png

Edit: and is that poster a hint at Black Cat?

2017-06-1700_20_54-ma7cufg.png

Woodchipper

Are Giant Bomb a bunch of Xbox fanboys or something? I just watched them talking over the Sony conference, and they still go on about Spider-Man "probably being a timed exclusive"

Are Giant Bomb a bunch of Xbox fanboys or something? I just watched them talking over the Sony conference, and they still go on about Spider-Man "probably being a timed exclusive"

They don't know everything about every game is the thing. I recall Dan Ryckert knowing basically nothing about this game during their stream.

Giant Bomb are not fanboys of anything. Probably just got confused because Insomniac has made Xbox games in the past.

Woodchipper

They don't know everything about every game is the thing. I recall Dan Ryckert knowing basically nothing about this game during their stream.
Fair enough.

Edit: Still, their lack of interest is quite provoking. After last year's conference, while basically everyone (including me) was out of breath, they were like "That was a weird conference, but God of War looked kinda cool"

Hopefully then they are able to talk more about the open world, like will this game feature a full day & night cycle and weather system or not.

I want to know this also! I know that they showed some shots on Twitter [I think?] of New York at night, but nothing has been shown regarding real-time weather. Imagine how good this game will look in the rain!!

_Ryo_

So about potential sequels for this game... Would they be PS exclusive too? Or would Spider-Man 2 be on XB1X?

So about potential sequels for this game... Would they be PS exclusive too? Or would Spider-Man 2 be on XB1X?

I mean, if Insomniac and Marvel wanted to forego Sony and do it themselves it's possible, but as far as we are concerned, Marvel approached Sony, who then got Insomniac, so it would probably ruffle a few internal feathers.

jtb

Banned
Man, Spider-Man 2 was so much fucking fun.

also QTEs suck. they always suck. there are no exceptions.

I mean, if Insomniac and Marvel wanted to forego Sony and do it themselves it's possible, but as far as we are concerned, Marvel approached Sony, who then got Insomniac, so it would probably ruffle a few internal feathers.

Doesn't Sony own the Spider-man IP?

I think Sony owns the exclusive rights to the spiderman games per the movie agreement.

jtb

Banned
Who do I have to beg for Bruce Campbell to be in this game?

The fanboys hate everything Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films stand for because QUIPZSZz. We need super serious, sexually confident quippy spiderman franchise.

NO BRUCE CAMPBELL ALLOWED.

seriously though, getting bruce campbell would be hilarious and an amazing nostalgia trip though probably as likely as getting, say, JK. would love to see it happen though

Regarding sequels and exclusivity in the future, this is what Marvel had to say last year:

"We've had a long history of success with Activision, and we still have a great relationship with them," Ong said. "But the future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac. We're delighted about this partnership, and that's something that's going to continue forward. With [regard to] other console partners, stay tuned. There's many more interesting additional things to come. But Activision is in the past, with regards to Spider-Man."

I doubt the game is over a year away from release - it was originally intended to release this year.

They are adding things and polishing it up with the extra time I would imagine. Spring 2018 is my guess.

Spider-Man was never given an actual release timeframe last year. Sony, Insomniac, and Marvel all said that they weren't talking about release dates when they were asked about it last year. So, this 2018 date is the first time they've given us an idea of when it'll release. Of course me saying that it won't be out for more than a year is just speculation, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it was a late 2018 title. It's kinda clear that they'll be given as much time as needed to get it into the shape they desire.

Giant Bomb are not fanboys of anything. Probably just got confused because Insomniac has made Xbox games in the past.

Even with Layden standing on stage and repeatedly saying that this was a "true exclusive"?

Lifeline

Nice to see they addressed the QTE. Now to address the swinging momentum.

They show "Playstation 4 EXCLUSIVE" throughout the entire video. They've never done that before for a game. I think they really want to remove any misunderstanding that is a console exclusive or a timed exclusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3AR3RSUBkA

I doubt the game is over a year away from release - it was originally intended to release this year.

They are adding things and polishing it up with the extra time I would imagine. Spring 2018 is my guess.

Who said Spider-Man was originally intended for this year?

I do think it will be over a year before it releases.

Lifeline

Who said Spider-Man was originally intended for this year?

I do think it will be over a year before it releases.

It's safe to assume that since the game has been in dev for 3 years, 3 years ago they were probably looking at launching alongside the new spidey movie.

But not really a big deal now since there's two more spidey movies coming out next year with Venom and Miles Animated movie.

Mifune

Mehmber

If I had a penny for every time video game journalists didn't know what the fuck they were talking about...

gamerMan

Once again, an asinine comparison.

The mission structure and game genres aren't even the same.

No one here has yet to show a game with a similar sequence that executed this with complete control over the main character. Instead lets arm chair game dev this, and add split seconds of controllable gameplay that will somehow make the game more fun even though the outcome will be the same, and the devs won't get to tell the story they want to tell.

Looking back at it, the QTEs served more as a transition into gameplay more than anything.

It's not like we are going to find a game that does the same mission or scenario. It shows that it is possible to design a set piece around a player's movement instead of a passive experience that requires hitting buttons unconsciously.

To be honest, while Spiderman (2000) looks very dated, it's gameplay looks more fun than Spiderman PS4 because it builds a scenario that focuses on the movement, traversal, and skill. See Spiderman(2000) Police Chopper Chase.

To be honest, while Spiderman (2000) looks very dated, it's gameplay looks more fun than Spiderman PS4 because it builds a scenario that focuses on the movement, traversal, and skill. See Spiderman(2000) Police Chopper Chase.

Watched a few mins and all I saw was Spidey running from a chopper shooting at him, not exactly groundbreaking gameplay design.

You saw a few minutes of one mission of Spiderman PS4, you can't write off the entire gameplay of the game because of that.

IMO, this would not be better.
987DoUR.jpg
Well, obviously. No one thinks that's better given the fact he's only running from a chopper there. Not running up a falling crane and spinning around said crane while webbing it up in multiple locations to keep it from falling.

I guess you're just trolling at this point.

Top Bottom