• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man remaster won't be free even if you own Spider-Man PS4

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS5 Boost of PS4 games will primarily serve the purpose of having more stable framerates.
Probably. And I expected Higher (consistently) resolution on games with dynamic resolution. Would be nice to hear about a how a few first party games run in boost.
I think BC has various modes including one called Legacy which is simply that. It runs but no boosts or adjustments.

Probably depends on the game and studio.

Last edited:
I guess I am missing information. I wouldn’t expect to get a free update when they remaster a game or package and Ultimate Edition/Game of the Year edition.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The worst part is that people still gonna buy and this will go away like an angel's kiss
For sure.

If I was in charge of Sony, I'd probably do the same. LoU Remaster sold something like 9 million copies. And when it came out, PS4 only had maybe 10 million consoles at the time as the remaster launched in summer of 2014. Over time, it sold as many copies as the original game on PS3 which had around 85 million consoles!

Charge money for the gamers with loose pockets. Give away enhancement for free when sales thins out.

Wasn't it you who was arguing that upgrades would be free ? What a disappointment.

They still are for other games. Maybe you should do some research?

In a way we were both wrong. I'm still waiting to see if Sony charges for patches to games like Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
For sure.

If I was in charge of Sony, I'd probably do the same. LoU Remaster sold something like 9 million copies. And when it came out, PS4 only had maybe 10 million consoles at the time as the remaster launched in summer of 2014. Over time, it sold as many copies as the original game on PS3 which had around 85 million consoles!

Charge money for the gamers with loose pockets. Give away enhancement for free when sales thins out.
But that time was two different architectures, now the publisher can do with just a little work. It's cheap from Sony, and other publishers confirm this, like CDPR

Only entitled gamers would think remasters should be free.

Boost mode is free and fine but if y’all want new textures and ray tracing? Then buy the upgrade.
Only morons would pay for a remaster for a system that has full BC because the architecture is the same.

Do you really believe they worked on Spider-Man 2018? They were working on Miles Morales, they created the new assets and improvements for that (at first PS5 exclusive) add-on, not for Spider-Man 2018. They simply added the improvements to the old game and are now asking for money again.

Imagine people having to pay for the hundreds of games that received their Pro/X Enhanced patches, this here is the same principle. It's an upgrade to an existing game and is perfectly playable on the next system, they didn't have to port the game.

It's an embarrassment for a 1st party studio.

Last edited:
Gamers
"We don't want to spend a lot of money on the PS5!"

SONY
dozsrt-f9715e17-8754-41a1-93c2-403806c97115.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But that time was two different architectures, now the publisher can do with just a little work. It's cheap from Sony, and other publishers confirm this, like CDPR
If Spidey is an indicator, for anyone getting a PS5 and anticipating seeing what a LoU2 or Ghosts PS5 boost will be like, you can. Just got to buy the PS5 remaster.

On the plus side Sony prices remasters $10-20 cheaper than the original game.

Shmunter

Yup.

I knew Sony wouldn't give free upgrades. No wonder they kept their mouth shut all year, while MS talked about smart delivery.

The argument was PS4 remasters had to be charged money because it was so much work as the old game was on PS3 which is different architecture. And there weren't any digital upgrade downloads to apply it against. Ya right.

PS4/PS5 is no different than Xbox One/Series X. Systems are similar enough to allow BC and enhancement patches.

A remake is different because that's a game rebuilt from the ground up, a remaster is really just an enhancement patch that can easily apply to a PS4 file.
If these cunts don’t give us 60fps patches for Ghosts and TLOU2, I’m flipping tables.

cormack12

Gold Member
There actually is no way to buy the remaster standalone either, is there?

At the moment, no. Thought I expect given the backlash there will be, but not for some time. They want to sell Miles Morales at the end of the day, and if they can get a bigger return on investment by bundling tbe remaster in thats what they will do. It wont look as good if 8 million people buy a remastered spiderman at $30 and MM is struggling to break 5 million etc. (Example only)

All they have to report is:

MM sold 10 million combined.

whitesugar

Banned
Why should ANYONE have to buy the same game twice? When they paid fulf price to begin with (even more with the digital delux)? Especially when you are paying a premium for the new hardware?
who is forcing these poor people to buy anything twice? and again, this is not the same game, it is remastered with all the DLC. no remaster with all the DLC has ever been free. why should someone who only bought the base PS4 game get a PS5 remaster plus all the DLC plus all these little additions for free?

REDRZA MWS

I won't get a new game free if I own a different game? You don't say. How are people expecting this for free lol
Nobody is asking for miles morales to be free. They are asking for a game they already own and paid full price for, to be playable with upgrades on the NEW hardware they just bought.

MS is offering cross buy, cross play, and with “smart delivery”, you automatically get the same game optimized for whatever you are playing on. Not a hard concept. This is total greed and anti consumer bs.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If these cunts don’t give us 60fps patches for Ghosts and TLOU2, I’m flipping tables.
By the sounds of it, it's totally doable. Doesn't PS5 have different BC modes, which one is boosts? It's not like remastered code even has to necessarily come on a disc or downloaded file if it's not anything like better textures or audio. If the system can do it on it's own, you shouldn't even need any source file.

Xbox One X can boost some old games res and frames and I'm positive there isn't even any data to download. The system can brute force it. I'm assuming Sony's boost code can do the same.

REDRZA MWS

who is forcing these poor people to buy anything twice? and again, this is not the same game, it is remastered with all the DLC. no remaster with all the DLC has ever been free. why should someone who only bought the base PS4 game get a PS5 remaster plus all the DLC plus all these little additions for free?

Remaster? It is up rez’d and runs at a higher frame rate courtesy of the hardware itself. And FYI, I bout the digital delux edition so I paid full price for the game and dlc. I’m also buying the 500 dollar plus tax version of that upgraded hardware because they made so few DE models but boldly boast and market the “399” model.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Why would a remaster be free? Was Master Chief remasters free to those who bought the games?

Kagey K

Banned
Witcher 3.

You don't give people the DLC, a simple patch for the base game that adds the next-gen improvements (which they worked on anyways, because of Miles Morales) is all people want.

Just like people wanted and got Pro Enhanced patches for their games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
By the sounds of it, it's totally doable. Doesn't PS5 have different BC modes, which one is boosts? It's not like remastered code even has to necessarily come on a disc or downloaded file if it's not anything like better textures or audio. If the system can do it on it's own, you shouldn't even need any source file.

Xbox One X can boost some old games res and frames and I'm positive there isn't even any data to download. The system can brute force it. I'm assuming Sony's boost code can do the same.

I would not assume that... see this is the one scenario losing efficiency by giving devs/forcing devs through abstractions helps. You win some, compatibility, you lose in efficiency see PC.

REDRZA MWS

I remember getting 2 free remasters on steam already. Will get a third one with The Witcher 3
It will be free with MS’s smart delivery. Buy a game once, play on ANY Xbox console or PC, and get the game fully optimized for whichever hardware you play on.

Soin away, but this is bs. Hard pass for me.

Nymphae

Banned
They are asking for a game they already own and paid full price for, to be playable with upgrades on the NEW hardware they just bought.

It's nice to want things. It is playable, I have the game on PS4 and if I bought a PS5, I could pop it in and play it. you want upgrades for free? Why?

GymWolf

I think it's reasonable after all.

4fflyu.jpg

Do we know the entity of this remake? Is miles morales graphics or some lazy ass work?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why would a remaster be free? Was Master Chief remasters free to those who bought the games?
Why would MS give away enhanced copies of Halo 1 and 2 which were on Xbox OG and never BC on 360 or XBox One to begin with?

Googling it, Halo 3 and 5 are enhanced and were free if you had the games standalone.

Last edited:

yurinka

People thought Sony was gonna give yall that smart upgrade for free like Microsoft? Nah gotta pay for the best place to play according to Sony.
Bullshit.

In PS5, like in Series X, they will give you for free the PS5 version for PS4 owners of most main crossgen games like Miles Morales, Sackboy, Horizon 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Rainbow Six, Watchdogs Legion, Far Cry 6, Doom Eternal, FIFA, Madden, GTAV, Destiny 2, Avengers, WRC9 and like over a dozen more.

These free upgrades both in Sony and Microsoft now and always (Sony's crossbuy between PS3/PSP/PSVita/PS4, PS1/PS2/PS3/PSV BC or XB/360/XBO BC) have been of the same game. When a game got fully remeastered and bundled with DLC and extra content (like 3 new costumes, new photo mode features, etc) they sold it as a diferent game and never gave it away for free to previous gen users.

In fact, there are even -non remastered- crossgen games that will have a free PS4 to PS5 upgrade while it's going to be paid at XBO to Series X.

Backwards compatibility
Yes, the original PS4 Spiderman will be backwards compatible on PS5 for free with very likely some improvements related of being run in a more powerful machine (shortened loadings, more stable fps, etc) that mostly any other PS4 BC game will experience.

But this doesn't mean they will give away for free the remaster to the owners of the PS4 version of the game.

If its just a resolution and lighting update then yeah it should be free, maybe they will be adding more though
Look at the PS Blog, they said it has been fully remastered: it features way more changes like more cars and pedestrians, longer drawing distance, skin/hair/eyes/facial gestures for characers, almost no loading times, 60fps, raytracing, better shadows and lighting, full art assets improvements, 3 new costumes, additional photo mode, all 3 DLC bundled, etc.

70 dollar remaster of Spiderman or is it going to be at discounted price?
20 dollar difference for adding the remaster+its 3 DLCs in a bundle with Spiderman Miles Morales.

We don't know if they are going to sell it separatedly, and if it's the case at which price, but I'd say it's very likely.

Last edited:

SCB3

I mean I don't have a major issue with this for the following reasons:

• You can play the Full Spiderman with DLC via Backwards Compatability (or keep it on a PS4)
  • Its an added extra for a separate game, Mile Morales is supposed to be the main game in this package, so Spiderman is supposed to be an extra
  • If there is a considerable amount of content added to the original game, new content, costumes, ability to play as Miles in the main game (if only as a Model/voice swap) etc
Yes, it'd be nice to be free like the Witch 3 is going to be (and I fully believe that they are merely just unlocking the full Ultra settings from the PC version on it, which is still nice, I need to look it up tbh)

Top Bottom