• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man remaster won't be free even if you own Spider-Man PS4

Shmunter

By the sounds of it, it's totally doable. Doesn't PS5 have different BC modes, which one is boosts? It's not like remastered code even has to necessarily come on a disc or downloaded file if it's not anything like better textures or audio. If the system can do it on it's own, you shouldn't even need any source file.

Xbox One X can boost some old games res and frames and I'm positive there isn't even any data to download. The system can brute force it. I'm assuming Sony's boost code can do the same.
I’m totally hoping PS5 boost can double frames, even on locked profiles

It sucks for people who are accustomed to free upgrades but like others said, you are not being forced to buy it. I was hoping to get the upgrade free too but what are you gonna do?

I guess Sony is justifying the non-free upgrade with all the work that is going into it.

On PS5, we are announcing an Ultimate Edition that includes a voucher code* for Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered. You’ll be able to experience the complete storyline up to this point, which includes the remaster of the original game and all three installments of the Marvel’s Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps DLC so you can play the full narrative arc.
The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again.

If they are so confident of the Spider-Man upgrades, where’s the footage?

If doesn’t come so we can see for ourselves the level of improvement, I’m calling shenanigans.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. They said they made a ton of improvements and it isn't just a higher resolution. That's what I'm expecting to see if they are charging for this.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I wasn't expecting this for free, that's just crazy. A 30$ upgrade would be nice.

I understand that Xbox is giving free upgrades for Gears 5 and Forza 4 but they are desperate to sell consoles and Gamepass and they don't have an impressive library. What are they going to do? Sell Remastered Crackdown 3? They rely on Halo 5 and Gears.

Its amazing watching the same folks who praised the Witcher 3 Devs for doing all that work + providing the upgrades for free...who are the same folks who blasted the Control/505Games team for doing the opposite...now give Sony a pass :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I platinum'ed the game and just wanna play the Miles Morales story so I don't plan on running through Spiderman again, but this is wack man. Its just wack folks

Hostile_18

Banned
Only entitled gamers would think remasters should be free.

Boost mode is free and fine but if y’all want new textures and ray tracing? Then buy the upgrade.

What happens when developers start deliberately shipping with lower quality assets and saving the good stuff for another SKU? Your very trusting.

PC games have never charged to change the settings on a game you already own. Even if one or two guys worked on this full time it pretty much pays for itself in terms of goodwill and more people buying the expansion as a result of it. Not to mention mindshare with more people playing your game. Lastly it also benefits Sony by growing the PS5 install base quicker.

Kerotan

If I buy Miles Morales and get the remaster free thats actually a really generous bonus. If you don't buy miles morales can you still play the non upgraded version of spiderman on your ps5?

KAL2006

Banned
Why? The entitlement over this is strange to see. When did everyone start expecting free shit?

I think it's more to do with the fact that the competition does it, also 3rd parties on PS5 are also doing it. Finally PC has been doing it.

Luckily for me it doesn't bother me as I rarely replay games, and I haven't even played Spiderman so I can jump in finally and play the remastered version. I have been avoiding buying PS4 games for around a year so I can easily pick up Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima remasters.

MiguelItUp

Oh wow, I straight up thought they were including the Spiderman Remaster with Miles, that you didn't have to buy the Ultimate Edition or whatever.

Man, that's lame for fans of the previous game. Especially with how old the game is at this point.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh wow, I straight up thought they were including the Spiderman Remaster with Miles, that you didn't have to buy the Ultimate Edition or whatever.

Man, that's lame for fans of the previous game. Especially with how old the game is at this point.
I wouldn't be surprised if a free Spiderman remaster file download came later.

Just wait it out.

Sony is just trying to cash in on tying products together (bundling). As soon as the sales thin out on this Ultimate Edition, a free remaster download might come for existing owners.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Bloodborne was rumored to be getting remaster.

Now I'm starting to think they're going to sell remasters that are attached to their newer games.

New Uncharted - Pay an extra 10 for a remastered version of Uncharted 4, Uncharted Lost Legacy and Uncharted collection
God of War 2 - Pay an extra 10 for a remastered version
TLOU Multiplayer - Pay an extra 10 for a remastered version of TLOU 1 & 2
Horizon Forbidden West - Pay an extra 10 for a remastered version of Horizon Zero Dawn
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart _ pay an extra 10 for a remastered version of Ratchet & Clank

I'm starting to believe that they might actually do it.

If this rumor is true, then this at the very least.

At the very least the remaster should be free? So meaning Sony should actually do more than just give away the remaster for free?

Why? I'm pretty sure I own the OG version of every remastered Sony game and the remastered game has never been free. Why do people expect it now? Like how is this different from TLOU remastered?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bloodborne was rumored to be getting remaster.

Now I'm starting to think they're going to sell remasters that are attached to their newer games.

New Uncharted - Pay an extra 10 for a remastered version of Uncharted 4, Uncharted Lost Legacy and Uncharted collection
God of War 2 - Pay an extra 10 for a remastered version
TLOU Multiplayer - Pay an extra 10 for a remastered version of TLOU 1 & 2
Horizon Forbidden West - Pay an extra 10 for a remastered version of Horizon Zero Dawn
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart _ pay an extra 10 for a remastered version of Ratchet & Clank

I'm starting to believe that they might actually do it.
Now you're catching on.

That's called bundling.

If you want to see the biggest bundling cash grab. I don't think they do it anymore(?) but years back if you wanted season tickets to Maple Leafs you also had to buy season tickets to Raptors when Raps were crap.

MiguelItUp

I wouldn't be surprised if a free Spiderman remaster file download came later.

Just wait it out.

Sony is just trying to cash in on tying products together (bundling). As soon as the sales thin out on this Ultimate Edition, a free remaster download might come for existing owners.
Oh for sure. I could see it joining the PS+ Downloadable Game roster or whatever it was called that was advertised in previous stream.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At the very least the remaster should be free? So meaning Sony should actually do more than just give away the remaster for free?

Why? I'm pretty sure I own the OG version of every remastered Sony game and the remastered game has never been free. Why do people expect it now? Like how is this different from TLOU remastered?

The difference now... BC. The PS4 didn't have it as an excuse to do so, the PS5 does now. Would be a good gesture if they offered the upgrade for those who already bought and supported the game on the PS4, and they then purchase MM.

yurinka

It sucks for people who are accustomed to free upgrades but like others said, you are not being forced to buy it. I was hoping to get the upgrade free too but what are you gonna do?

I guess Sony is justifying the non-free upgrade with all the work that is going into it.
If you have Spiderman PS4 you will be able to play it on PS4 for free thanks to BC, very likely with some improvements related to BC. As it will happen with the 99.99% of the PS4 games that will run on PS5 BC.

Like in Series X, many (not all) crossgen games will give you for free the next gen version if you own the current gen version of the game. For some other games, specially on some 3rd party Xbox game, you'll have to buy them separatedly.

Separatedly from that, they are making a full PS5 remaster of this old Spiderman game, that seems isn't going to be free for the owners of the original PS4 game. As it happened with all remasted games in both PS and Xbox.

The difference now... BC. The PS4 didn't have it as an excuse to do so, the PS5 does now. Would be a good gesture if they offered the upgrade for those who already bought and supported the game on the PS4, and they then purchase MM.
They also did charge for remasters and remakes in Xbox and PS2 to PS3 remasters even if these consoles. The difference isn't BC. The difference is a full remaster of a game with extra content vs the same game but running in 2 different consoles with a different resolution, FPS and choosing Ultra insted of High settings. The first version requires more effort, they charge for it. The 2nd ones requires less effort, sometimes they give away it for free and sometimes not. This Spiderman Remaster is of the first group.

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Wow. Thank you Bo_Hazem, FranXico, Evilore
So shiny
iu

Cocky PS3-Era Sony is back with its "Gamer's will WANT to get a second job to buy our PlayStation" and "Next-Generation(which we totally believe in) doesn't start until WE say it does."

Hezekiah

Banned
You can play your PS4 Spider-Man on PS5,use boost mode, no problem. And it’s FREE!

This version is more of a remaster, new trophy list, etc. includes all DLC, and it’s only $20.

I’m fine with laying $20 to get a substantial upgrade.
Yeah pretty much this,has always been the case.

Shmunter

I'm pretty much in the same boat. They said they made a ton of improvements and it isn't just a higher resolution. That's what I'm expecting to see if they are charging for this.
Even so, let us buy a patch for a discount. Carry over our save, etc. Don’t force a rebuy. That’s the crux off it.

KAL2006

Banned
I checked inSomniac Twitter and they are very active and answering a ton of questions. However this question always get ignored so I'm going to assume it's likely that they will charge for a upgrade of the original. Most likely they are avoiding saying anything is due to backlash lol.

If you have Spiderman PS4 you will be able to play it on PS4 for free thanks to BC, very likely with some improvements related to BC. As it will happen with the 99.99% of the PS4 games that will run on PS5 BC.

Like in Series X, many (not all) crossgen games will give you for free the next gen version if you own the current gen version of the game. For some other games, specially on some 3rd party Xbox game, you'll have to buy them separatedly.

Separatedly from that, they are making a full PS5 remaster of this old Spiderman game, that seems isn't going to be free for the owners of the original PS4 game. As it happened with all remasted games in both PS and Xbox.

They also did charge for remasters and remakes in Xbox and PS2 to PS3 remasters even if these consoles. The difference isn't BC. The difference is a full remaster of a game with extra content vs the same game but running in 2 different consoles with a different resolution, FPS and choosing Ultra insted of High settings. The first version requires more effort, they charge for it. The 2nd ones requires less effort, sometimes they give away it for free and sometimes not. This Spiderman Remaster is of the first group.

I'm actually thinking about getting the Ultimate Edition from GameStop. I skipped the DLC on PS4 and wouldn't mind playing through it along with the added content. I wonder how much of difference we'll see from the PS5 version and the PS4 version running on PS5.

yurinka

I'm actually thinking about getting the Ultimate Edition from GameStop. I skipped the DLC on PS4 and wouldn't mind playing through it along with the added content. I wonder how much of difference we'll see from the PS5 version and the PS4 version running on PS5.
Sony listed the Remaster's improvement in the PS Blog, someone else quoted them in the thread. I'm not sure what benefit will have Spiderman when running on the BC boost mode if exists (seems to be the case). One thing they highlight from the remaster was 60fps, so I asume that the BC version will be still locked to 30fps, even if very likely they will be way more stable than in PS4.

killatopak

That’s just bullshit.

The only thing holding me back from going apeshit is the possibility of drastic improvements being worth it.

TimFL

I’ll have a shot at this one;

Free because the upgrade’s are not remasters, they are tweaks for last gen games taking advantage of more powerful hardware. Similar situation to Pro/X patches this gen. No new gameplay or levels are created. These sorts of upgrades do not require creative input, and can be achieved by a small skeleton crew, certainly nothing compared to the original investment and can even be nothing more than an R&D exercise for future games.

Furthermore, it’s a goodwill exercise by a platform holder to their user base. Even many 3rd parties are providing free patches.

From a business perspective, updates can reinvigorate interest and spur existing owners to revisit games by purchasing dlc they passed on previously. It’s not all a 0 sum game.

It’s bad optics and PR forcing loyal users to re-buy an update. The sour taste builds up overtime with fans and will cost more out the other end in due time.
I thought that the remaster also includes ray tracing and other stuff like performance mode. That doesn‘t sound like a cheap update.

brian0057

Banned
I've never understood those that throw a hissy fit over companies NOT giving them games for free.
I mean, it's nice that some companies are giving free upgrades but, and here's the thing, they don't have to.

Let's say you buy a DVD of a movie and later the Blu-Ray comes out. Why should you get the latter for free?
You already have the product. Tough shit if a better version of it releases at a later date and you can't get it.

Zimmy68

Just like 505 situation. I can understand not wanting to upgrade everyone for free but to make me pay full frieght, again!!?!!? That is nonsense.
Charge me $50 for the Ultimate Edition if I own all the full version of Spidey PS4.

NickFire

Just like 505 situation. I can understand not wanting to upgrade everyone for free but to make me pay full frieght, again!!?!!? That is nonsense.
Charge me $50 for the Ultimate Edition if I own all the full version of Spidey PS4.
I think there's a new thread where the dev said free upgrades

Edit: never mind, turns out it was fake

Last edited:
If someone spends £60 (or even £70)on something, I think it's fair to expect a level of support. That's doubly true for someone who then pays extra for DLC.

"We've added pretty lights and upped the resolution so pay for it again as if it's new" just isn't right. It's not that their work doesn't have value, it's that 15m people have already paid them for it.
Cool, my 2017 Raptor was 60k but Ford released a new one this year that has new features, i guess i should just get it for free because i spent 60k in the past on the same model right?

Doncabesa

What's interesting is, you do get the PS5 version of Miles Morales for free if you buy the PS4 version.
Because it's $50 and not $40 like Lost Legacy was. Same will go for Sackboy and HFW. They're $10 more than before so you get the new version because you're already paying that premium.

bender

What time is it?

$50 is Miles Morales. $70 includes the Ultimate Edition of Spider Man. What we don't know is if there is a path to upgrade the PS4 version to the PS5 version and what that cost is.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have given Sony a lot of shit over the last couple of days but this ain't it.

Insmoniac has done a lot of work on this.

Ray tracing
60 fps
Next gen character models
Better hair, facial animations, cloth physics
New gen assets for the entire city
more crowd and traffic density
Better draw distance
Dual sense controller support

This isnt a remaster like cod, watch dogs, and other third party games that just increase resolutions, up the framerate and shove the same game down our throat. This is a full on remake like sotc with completely new textures and character models.

I do find it funny that Sony fans have such high expectations for their next gen patches when Nintendo just released three ports with zero enhancements to the framerates and textures. A 30 fps mario 64 in 2020. And no one gives a shit.

Shit like this costs money. Nothing is free in this world. Let's stop being entitled and focus our energy on what really matters... Making sure gow 2 isn't held back by the ps4.

Banned
I have given Sony a lot of shit over the last couple of days but this ain't it.

Insmoniac has done a lot of work on this.

Ray tracing
60 fps
Next gen character models
Better hair, facial animations, cloth physics
New gen assets for the entire city
more crowd and traffic density
Better draw distance
Dual sense controller support

This isnt a remaster like cod, watch dogs, and other third party games that just increase resolutions, up the framerate and shove the same game down our throat. This is a full on remake like sotc with completely new textures and character models.

I do find it funny that Sony fans have such high expectations for their next gen patches when Nintendo just released three ports with zero enhancements to the framerates and textures. A 30 fps mario 64 in 2020. And no one gives a shit.

Shit like this costs money. Nothing is free in this world. Let's stop being entitled and focus our energy on what really matters... Making sure gow 2 isn't held back by the ps4.

CD Project Red will also massively improve Witcher 3 with new assets and raytracing for next gen FOR FREE if you own the game on current gen.

the issue is that other companies with way lower budget can somehow give their customers na free upgrade, and Sony can't... weird

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If they can easily upgrade the PlayStation Pro version of PlayStation 4 games, then they should be able to offer upgrades for PlayStation 5 for free.

This isn't 2013 anymore. Emulating PS3 games on PS4 would have been nearly impossible and that's why they were able to release Remasters for the PlayStation 4 console.

Mmnow

Cool, my 2017 Raptor was 60k but Ford released a new one this year that has new features, i guess i should just get it for free because i spent 60k in the past on the same model right?
What? That's some "you wouldn't steal a car" bull.

If you paid 60k for a car and there was some kind of digital update for it, the manufacturer absolutely wouldn't expect you to pay another 60k for that update. Obviously.

Top Bottom