• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man remaster won't be free even if you own Spider-Man PS4

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
25SgZvN.jpg

#4theplayers 👍🏻
Awesome. Gamers won. And good to see Sony corporate do it.

KAL2006

Banned
I can't believe people bought Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima this close to release of PS5. I'm glad I waited and will buy the PS5 versions of those games.

It's not like they didn't do that before with Last of Us Remastered.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Now this is arrogant Sony.

Fuck off with this shit.

Someone light a fire up their arse. Xbox I wish for a moment you'd get your shit together and actually be competitive so that Jim Ryan would actually feel the heat internally at Sony.
It's starting to feel like Xbox is the AMD to PlayStation's Nvidia.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Coconutt

That's disappointing, I bought the normal launch edition assuming that because I had the PS4 version on disc I'd be able to transfer it to PS5, not a big loss since I wasn't planning on playing the first Spider-Man but disappointing none the less.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I mean you could argue it is a 2 year old game, so new time and money was spent on it... but then we have CDPR remastering a 6 year old game and giving a free upgrade...

Arrogant Sony is back. Everyone, be afraid.
No need to be afraid. Microsoft doesn't have its thumb up its ass this time around, so it will keep Sony honest.

Nymphae

Banned
Because they bought the game already and are handing Sony $500+ for a new machine.

The corporate shilling is in overdrive in this thread.

Having the expectation that I pay for new products is "shilling". New game released, new purchase. You've already played the game stop crying they aren't giving you an updated version for free.

rkofan87

Gold Member
I mean I don't have a major issue with this for the following reasons:

• You can play the Full Spiderman with DLC via Backwards Compatability (or keep it on a PS4)
  • Its an added extra for a separate game, Mile Morales is supposed to be the main game in this package, so Spiderman is supposed to be an extra
  • If there is a considerable amount of content added to the original game, new content, costumes, ability to play as Miles in the main game (if only as a Model/voice swap) etc
Yes, it'd be nice to be free like the Witch 3 is going to be (and I fully believe that they are merely just unlocking the full Ultra settings from the PC version on it, which is still nice, I need to look it up tbh)
will then what 505 games is doing is fine.

SCB3

will then what 505 games is doing is fine.

For Control?

See that one I'm not 100% on agreeing as they kinda blindsided people with it, like I have the Game and season pass on PC anyway, but if I have that on PS4 with NO way to even pay a little extra, I'd be pissed, paying a bit extra is one thing, having to rebuy a complete edition is another.

Again, I'm buying Miles Morales for that game, an extra £20 to get a definitive version of an amazing game on top of that is fine, would I rather it be free or cheaper, of course, but at least I have the option to not buy it as well. Something Control doesn't offer.

N30RYU

I own the base game on PS4... but not the DLCs and the DLCs cost me as much as the increase from Miles to the Miles+Spiderman+DLC... so I'll get the later... but I understand that all the ppl that have Spiderman+3DLCs should be able to get a free update... more so if the spiderman game won't be sold alone...

SCB3

I own the base game on PS4... but not the DLCs and the DLCs cost me as much as the increase from Miles to the Miles+Spiderman+DLC... so I'll get the later... but I understand that all the ppl that have Spiderman+3DLCs should be able to get a free update... more so if the spiderman game won't be sold alone...

This is also a good point, I also haven't played the DLC or even own it, so thats good news as well

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So DMC5 upgrade is free but additional DLC is not? If that's true, I applaud Capcom for doing the right thing.

No, it's not free. Current owners will only get Virgil as purchaseable DLC. No upgrade path paid or free.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
That's disappointing, I bought the normal launch edition assuming that because I had the PS4 version on disc I'd be able to transfer it to PS5, not a big loss since I wasn't planning on playing the first Spider-Man but disappointing none the less.

You will be able to do that with BC. You're just not getting the Remastered along with it for free like all these crybabies want.

All this because Microsoft is desperate for games so they are upgrading Gears 5 for free (they have nothing else to show Series X tech) and CDPR is making bank with The Witcher TV show so the remaster will keep it in the news.

Destiny 2 is free to play. Borderlands 3 still have DLC coming up from the season pass.

Spider-Man was released over 2 years ago, all DLC released, even GOTY version.

Are we geting Demons Souls remake and Super Mario Galaxy for free too?

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
They have nothing to do with the Show

The game was on the best seller list of every store when the show came out. 5 years after release. You think they are not profiting from all the new exposure and new fans who want to suck Henry Calvill?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You will be able to do that with BC. You're just not getting the Remastered along with it for free like all these crybabies want.

All this because Microsoft is desperate for games so they are upgrading Gears 5 for free and CDPR is making bank with The Witcher TV show so the remaster will keep it in the news.

Destiny 2 is free to play. Borderlands 3 still have DLC coming up from the season pass.

Spider-Man was released over 2 years ago, all DLC released, even GOTY version.

Are we geting Demons Souls remake and Super Mario Galaxy for free too?

We're already getting a free version upgrade for Horizon Forbidden West.

I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to play the remastered version of Spider-Man, but they should at least give us an option to play their big PS4 exclusives at 4k 60fps.

If you're not willing to do this, then this only means they want to make money from consumers who have already purchased the game by releasing remasters of their other first party IPs by remastering them.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Yoboman

I dont understand why gamers are taking issue with $10 more for Spiderman remastered but no issue with full priced DMC remastered?

This isn't a GAAS where they can make money even if it's free. And Sony are already giving away dozens of great games day one

Yoboman

We're already getting a free version upgrade for Horizon Forbidden West.

I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to play the remastered version of Spider-Man, but they should at least give us an option to play their big PS4 exclusives at 4k 60fps.

If you're not willing to do this, then this only means they want to make money from consumers who have already purchased the game by releasing remasters of their other first party IPs by remastering them.
Who said that the standard version wont get minor enhancements? The remastered version has ray tracing, new models and textures, denser environments, more content, removed loading times

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Who said that the standard version wont get minor enhancements? The remastered version has ray tracing, new models and textures, denser environments, more content, removed loading times

I said if they're not willing to do this.

Bridges

Oh NOOOO. OHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Sony boo. Anti-Consumer..... bleh bleh bleh....

Guys, this has always been the case. Offering a game update for a new console free of charge has basically, until very recently, NEVER been a thing. Let me reiterate. It's NEVER been a thing. There's nothing wrong with continuing to not give gamers a free console generation upgrade to a currently owned title.

Moreover, both new consoles (Microsoft & Xbox) are backwards compatible with the previous gen's games. So, there is literally no reason to complain. Make NO mistake, those who are offering console gen upgrades are most likely not doing it for you (well, maybe CD Projekt Red cause they're bosses). They are doing it because they don't want to lose holiday sales on people choosing to skip a title because they don't yet have a next gen console but are planning to get one.

Peace out.

Didn't hear anyone saying this when the meltdowns over Control: Ultimate Edition were happening

Can you show me a free remaster on Xbox Series S/X
Yeah easy, just off the top of my head Gears 5 and Ori and the Will of the Wisps will both be getting "remastered" to run in 4K/120fps on Xbox Series X, free of charge for existing owners. Pretty sure at least one of the Forza games is coming as well. Even on this current generation, Xbox One X has been getting 4K versions of 360 games like Sonic Generations, Final Fantasy XIII, Crackdown, Left 4 Dead, Mirror's Edge... Since you asked.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Well sure but who would buy any of their games twice

That's because Xbox gamers aren't stupid enough to buy the same game multiple times. Sony Bros love to buy them over and over so Sony gives them what they love.

PS5 BC with older gens? Oh hell NO, who would want to play those old games?

Remaster of an 11 year old PS3 game? Oh hell yes here's our $70. Thank you Sony!

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I assume we will get the following

Ghost of Tsushima: Aftermath (Remastered GoT bundled with Legends multiplayer and new standalone story expansion)
Last of Us Factions (Remastered LoU2 bundled with Factions multiplayer)
Dreams for PS5 (more expansive creation tools thanks to power of PS5)

All those games that come in PS4 Plus collection likely not getting remasters. I reckon some may get basic patches for example God of War let's you choose between framerate mode and graphics mode on Pro, a patch will basically enable both modes on PS5. So basically free patches with less work and full remasters for games that they put more effort in such as RT etc.

jakinov

It'd be nice to get it free but it cost them money to remaster it. Why would they want to give it away for free. Other companies want to do it for free because they are worried people will wait for re releases or don't want people to wait out and buy the better version later.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Yeah easy, just off the top of my head Gears 5 and Ori and the Will of the Wisps will both be getting "remastered" to run in 4K/120fps on Xbox Series X, free of charge for existing owners. Pretty sure at least one of the Forza games is coming as well. Even on this current generation, Xbox One X has been getting 4K versions of 360 games like Sonic Generations, Final Fantasy XIII, Crackdown, Left 4 Dead, Mirror's Edge... Since you asked.

These games are on Gamepass, it's not really "owners" getting it for free. Ori is a small indie game, no one is getting Series X for that. I have zero interest to replay those other games in 4k. I'm sure I got them all with my One X. I never checked, don't care. I own them all on PC anyway.

You are not winning any points with that pitiful list. Sorry.

But for Spider-Man...I want to play it Day 1 on PS5. It is THAT good.

They sold like 15 millions copies, they are not going to give them all away.

If Spidey is an indicator, for anyone getting a PS5 and anticipating seeing what a LoU2 or Ghosts PS5 boost will be like, you can. Just got to buy the PS5 remaster.

On the plus side Sony prices remasters $10-20 cheaper than the original game.
So if they price them at $10 less than the original game, and add the $10 next gen tax they will cost the same! WHEE!

Bridges

These games are on Gamepass, it's not really "owners" getting it for free. Ori is a small indie game, no one is getting Series X for that. I have zero interest to replay those other games in 4k. I'm sure I got them all with my One X. I never checked, don't care. I own them all on PC anyway.

You are not winning any points with that pitiful list. Sorry.

But for Spider-Man...I want to play it Day 1 on PS5. It is THAT good.

They sold like 15 millions copies, they are not going to give them all away.
Okay, what if I purchased Gears 5 for $60 when it came out and didn't have gamepass?
Then now it's a free upgrade.

I don't understand how your personal feelings about the quality of Spiderman or 360 games effects the truth that Microsoft is giving you free next-gen upgrades to their first party games and Sony is not. Spin it all you want, doesn't change facts.

EDIT: and if we're using personal anecdotes as argument now, it's worth mentioning that when I get a Series X the first game I will be playing on it is Ori.

Last edited:
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem took some pretty good images from the trailer. Since we are talking about paying for the upgrades I thought it might be nice to have them here. Up to you to decide if it's worth paying more.

Marvel's Spider-man: Miles Morales screenshots:

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h35m43s598.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h39m05s716.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h39m32s141.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h41m56s869.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h44m34s271.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h44m53s393.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h45m57s231.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h46m45s627.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h47m50s928.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h48m21s781.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h49m39s069.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h50m31s184.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h50m43s988.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h51m02s839.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h51m16s075.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h04m02s271.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h04m29s438.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h18m06s122.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h22m10s154.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h23m25s335.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h46m33s031.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h47m51s643.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h49m31s777.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h53m33s174.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h54m05s653.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-00h58m27s163.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-01h01m22s211.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-01h02m57s426.png

I would definitely prefer free but the upgrades look pretty good in my opinion.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
People not even being able to upgrade for anything other than $70 is the issue here. Completely locking the game behind MM is a crappy move.

I don't understand how your personal feelings about the quality of Spiderman or 360 games effects the truth that Microsoft is giving you free next-gen upgrades to their first party games and Sony is not.

They are with Sackboys Big Adventure and Horizon Forbidden West. I guess with Sony is a game by game basis with them.

People not even being able to upgrade for anything other than $70 is the issue here. Completely locking the game behind MM is a crappy move.

I definitely agree there. If there is a way to upgrade it they should let people know.

Last edited:

Bridges

They are with Sackboys Big Adventure and Horizon Forbidden West. I guess with Sony is a game by game basis with them.

I definitely agree there. If there is a way to upgrade it they should let people know.
I completely missed this. I'm glad they're offering this but it makes it even more strange that they'd not do the same for Spiderman. I wonder if this is actually a Disney/Marvel thing where they have an agreement in place that prevents these kind of free upgrades?

Top Bottom