• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 - The SPOILER Thread

DonJorginho

Banned
Venom is my favorite Marvel character, so was insanely excited when this game was announced.... and now here I am, didn't buy the game and am in a spoiler thread with zero F's given. It's because I read that they made Harry Venom and was gutted. Reading the critiques here just validate everything I was worried about. Eddie is Venom. Harry as Venom is just stupid at a fundamental level. It's like, hey in the next Batman game, Killer Croc is actually.... the Joker!

I just watched a video of the fights and they are sooooooooo bad. They are template battle scenes in tiny arenas. How the F do they do this when Venom and Spidey are the most mobile characters? The fight should be across the city, putting that PS5 SSD to good use.
The worst part is, the moments you do get Venom and Pete going across the City?

It's an uncontrollable cutscene that you only see splices of..... As you're instead sent into......

A MARY JANE SECTION YAYYYYY

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Remaster Kingpin intro. Music sounds like it’s from Heat. Cops in the shit.

I6ECh9D.jpg

What the fuck happened

tmlDan

I swear to god if the next game is just Miles i'm out, cant handle this level of pandering through an entire game.
I don't think anyone cares if you buy the next game

Miles is more fun to play, his abilities are awesome. Playing Pete again would be boring.

I'd prefer a Silk/Miles in the future but i expect Pete being pulled in again due to him being so tied to the Green Goblin.

Goddamn, that fight against symbiote MJ was a cringe fest.
The constant female validation that male feminists love. Bitch, Peter is risking his life out there fighting super villains every day while you sit at home typing on your laptop, drinking your starbucks. Fuck off.

And Peter needing to be saved by Wraith. What a hero.

Maybe Wraith, Black Cat and MJ should team up. They'd be invincible.

3liteDragon

My thoughts on the game (Best superhero game EVER, SM3's gonna be NUTS):
Just beat the story & finished 99.9% of the side stuff, gonna 100% & platinum tomorrow. This is easily the BEST fucking superhero game ever made by a COUNTRY MILE & one of the best game sequels I've played. The final hours are jaw-dropping, all the setups (there are setups in the side stuff as well, Flame ones & drone catching ones) for Spider-Man 3 are there & that game whenever the fuck it comes out is gonna be absolute fucking bonkers.

Things I didn't like:
- MJ missions, they're better than SM1 & I finished them all very quickly but I don't see the need for them to be in the game, completely unnecessary
- Brooklyn Vision side stuff were meh, prowler & spider-bot ones were alright but the rest of the side stuff were all:messenger_ok:imo, make sure you guys do them
- Wish Venom could've had more playtime

I'll update this post if i can think of any other negatives lol, everything else is top top-notch. Visuals, traversal, gameplay/combat, story, no other supe game comes CLOSE. I'm gonna play it again once the NG+ update drops in December I think, this is definitely one of my all time favorites.

There's also 2 post-credit scenes, BOTH are important & are setups for Spider-Man 3 as well.

9.75/10

I've taken 84 screenshots during my 5-hour play session today so I'm gonna take a long break & go to sleep cause my head's all fucked & sift through those tomorrow to post in the thread. I'll post a few here rn.

IMG_6368.png

IMG_6390.png

IMG_6373.png

IMG_6371.png

IMG_6395.png

IMG_6396.png

IMG_6397.png

IMG_6404.png

IMG_6398.png

IMG_6414.png

IMG_6415.png

IMG_6405.png

IMG_6411.png

SPOILER SCREENSHOTS (Easily one of the best final boss fights of all time):

IMG_6418.png

IMG_6417.png

IMG_6428.png

IMG_6416.png

IMG_6427.png

IMG_6426.png

IMG_6429.png

IMG_6420.png

IMG_6423.png

IMG_6424.png

IMG_6430.png

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Who is the Asian girl at the end? Another miles love interest or does she fit in somewhere for the comics?
Silk tease, Cindy Moon.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Silk tease, Cindy Moon.

Even more girl power, love it.

Next game is gonna be miles and her isn't? :lollipop_squinting:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Bc8xwbT.jpg

Seriously, the sequel was sorely lacking simple cool side shit like this. Spidey being Spidey. This stuff just wasn’t there at all. Antiquated QTEs be damned 😃

I don't think you can fail a QTE in Spider-Man 2. I've tried multiple times and there's no consequence. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Miles has to save Hailey. He gets there just in time to watch her save herself by defeating a symbiote with a can of spray paint.

Speaking of symbiotes, Agent Mary Jaw has a gun that can sometimes one shot them. She even fights a boss. Later I laughed out loud when I saw her giant stupid face wearing a bike helmet. Funniest scene in the game.

Honestly, games goes downhill after Kraven dies.

I enjoyed Harry/Venom. Martin Li's story arc. I even kind of liked Miles. That uniform is atrocious though.

Spidey 2 is overrated as fuck. I give it a 7/10. Buggiest Sony exclusive next to Days Gone.

I think the third act was easily the best one, would've loved if at least half the game was like that. I was just not having too much fun for too long in the beginning.

Probably the most overrated Sony game to date for me, and I usually love them. The main story missions were good (except for the unreasonably overpowered MJ stuff + the unbearable cringe) but most of the side missions and optional stuff was just plain boring and uninspired.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know? I just feel there was sooo much potential for fun, creative and exciting missions with lots of variation in environments but nope.

I'd love to explore the sewers and subways for example.

Most of he cutscenes and the graphics overall looked insanely good, with some weirdly bad textures and effects here and there. Sometimes the suit looked mind-blowingly good and sometimes it looked like shiny, cheap plastic in low resolution. What's up with that? 🤔

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Just started and got to the ship and the Ark part and I am combat rusty. They taught me super parry. I forgot how to do it immediately and died.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
More like spider—Mehn 2.

I like a lot of the game but the story was not great. Mary Jane is obnoxious and her missions are terrible and she is overpowered. Every npc is insufferable. The podcast stuff with the girl from the miles game is unbearable.

the swinging and combat are good. Lots of powers and lots of variety. The sand man bit is really cool. I thought getting the symbiot off of Peter and the death of kra were the real climax. Nothing really measured up after that to me.

I would give this game an A for presentation but a C for story. A solid B.

I bought a ps5 to play it. Maybe ff7 rebirth will justify the expenditure.

Top Bottom