• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX building Starship in Texas (live videos of construction)

What I really don't get is, why they build that whole fucking thing, just to use it for some pressure tests again.
Seems unreasonable to me.

Or they just want to improve their whole process of building Starships so they can build two of those in a week (for 5 million $ each :D) in future, like they seem to plan.
Which sounds insane as well...

Damn, I want to see this thing flying, so much.

What I really don't get is, why they build that whole fucking thing, just to use it for some pressure tests again.
Seems unreasonable to me.

Or they just want to improve their whole process of building Starships so they can build two of those in a week (for 5 million $ each :D) in future, like they seem to plan.
Which sounds insane as well...

Damn, I want to see this thing flying, so much.

they might already know it can't fly could be damaged or cracked during stacking or this was the plan all along.
I think your second point is what they are doing they want to improve the process until they have everything smooth

the rockets will look less barnyard junk and more sexy with each version so I'm happy with just being able to watch the progression without seeing just the final version

the rockets will look less barnyard junk and more sexy with each version so I'm happy with just being able to watch the progression without seeing just the final version
I mean, i love seeing this progress. Like I wrote above, I tune in every day after work, and watch what they are doing there, and check out some youtubers shows like everyday astronaut and whataboutit explaining stuff.

It's just so unsatisfactory seeing them working on yet another prototype for a month that literally does nothing in the end.

I mean, i love seeing this progress. Like I wrote above, I tune in every day after work, and watch what they are doing there, and check out some youtubers shows like everyday astronaut and whataboutit explaining stuff.

It's just so unsatisfactory seeing them working on yet another prototype for a month that literally does nothing in the end.

true that is why I think something might have gone wrong with stacking this monster or Elon and crew likes SN2 better for first flight

UPDATE: Epic FAIL

that is why they did not want to fly it they knew it would fail did not even pass the cooling test

at least they knew this. So much work though for boom

Slow motion

I think that took out the launch pad. Cleaning up the launch area might mean a longer delay, hope I'm wrong.
Need daylight to see the damage

Last edited:

Breakage

that is why they did not want to fly it they knew it would fail did not even pass the cooling test

Slow motion

I think that took out the launch pad. Cleaning up the launch area might mean a longer delay, hope I'm wrong.

Damn...how much money just went up in smoke?

Is there a reason the spaceship is so chubby? I figured there might be a reason most companies avoid chubby heavy rocket designs. Works for ballistic missiles but this is not one.

In that video it looked like the area was completely obliterated..
Imagine if there would have been people in that thing..

This is why they have to get it right. With 50 - 100 people on that big thing one day in the future we still that is a long ways off.
I really hope this project does not fail and we never get a Starship

to me it is just way too big but I think they already knew what would go wrong before they did the test and all this data will be helpful to the process

I'm excited.

Port of L.A. is bad news for those of us who want to see these things being built out in the open but they are going to need more hands on deck.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Slow motion

Damn. Impressive implosion though.

SN2 build looks very different more indoors and shielded from the elements

this is so weird to watch, it is like bringing in your bedroom set while building the walls of your house at the same time

Last edited:
SN2 build looks very different more indoors and shielded from the elements

this is so weird to watch, it is like bringing in your bedroom set while building the walls of your house at the same time

Guess we won't see that much anymore in future.

Just those finished starships getting transported to the outside here they blow up... :D

Guess we won't see that much anymore in future.

Just those finished starships getting transported to the outside here they blow up... :D

Yeah that time would have to come someday no other company builds in the open like that but still this is kinda of Elon's thing even some of Tesla's patents are opensource to share they don't care about spies taking secrets.

the only reasons we will see less and less are because of these new military contracts

they will not all blow up this company has been busy for a while

Look at this sexy thing go

Boca Chica - Starship Taxi arrives as SN2 and SN3 continue production
whoa pace yourself Boca Chica. I want to see this one fly the right way

Last edited:

Yesterday, I was reading that interview that he is referencing a lot in this video.
Best info we got about Space X and Starship for a while.

Elon is really insane in what he is trying to accomplish. But wow, that dude got a vision...

He aims really high, I still wonder what Blue Origin will propose. But activity with them is much slower.
SpaceX having 24hr Shifts just to build something that is still in pre-testing phase blows my mind.

I just noticed that what we see from the newer Starship builds looks a lot more streamlined and professional than the weird hastily welded together tin cans they produced before.

buizel

Banned
more close ups

love those thumbails

BANANA DESTROYED

BEFORE --->
bananawhole.jpg

AFTER --->>>
20080619-nanners.jpg

Top Bottom