• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX will try to launch most powerful rocket ever Monday

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Now that I’m almost 40 I’ve resigned myself to the fact that we’re not getting out of the solar system in my lifetime but it would be awesome if regular inter planetary travel becomes a thing in the next 50 years or so that I’ve got left :)
M8 I hate to break it to you, we're getting fucking nowhere for a long long long time and we're certainly never getting out of our solar system

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
M8 I hate to break it to you, we're getting fucking nowhere for a long long long time and we're certainly never getting out of our solar system

outer space GIF by PBS

sono

Gold Member
10 days later.. is there any information on why so many raptors (8?) failed in the ascent
There is a lot of information on the launchpad but I haven't read anything on that topic

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
10 days later.. is there any information on why so many raptors (8?) failed in the ascent
There is a lot of information on the launchpad but I haven't read anything on that topic
I thought I heard the debris kicked up from the launchpad was a likely culprit

Ironbunny

I remember reading that its most likely due to disintegrating launch pad and flying debris from it. They had no flame trench which you usually have under the rocket.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
I remember reading that its most likely due to disintegrating launch pad and flying debris from it. They had no flame trench which you usually have under the rocket.

That seems like a massive risk that they took that they really didn't need to.

I get trying new things, but I don't think this, even though it was expendable, was the right one to try it on. It sounds like a bit of hubris even.

Ironbunny

I get trying new things, but I don't think this, even though it was expendable, was the right one to try it on. It sounds like a bit of hubris even.

Yea it was a known risk from them.

You're not wrong, but the Sol system is unimaginably massive in its own right. Ironically 40k is the only sci-fi property to actually get population scale correct. A fully industrialized solar system with cheap fusion and automation pumping out O'neil cylinders can provide palatial accommodations for a human population in the hundreds of trillions.

Ehh, innovation is built upon the mountain of failure. They thought they cracked to code to a cheap launch platform, and it seems like it didn't work. It might just be that flame trenches are the only way to do it, but you gotta try things out if you want to think big.

Tams

Gold Member
Ehh, innovation is built upon the mountain of failure. They thought they cracked to code to a cheap launch platform, and it seems like it didn't work. It might just be that flame trenches are the only way to do it, but you gotta try things out if you want to think big.
Yeah, but despite what they claim, they did waste a whole Starship just to find out something pretty obvious.

It wasn't like it was some minute cracks and chips. It blew a crater into the ground through reinforced concrete.

Top Bottom