• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX building Starship in Texas (live videos of construction)

in Boca Chica that is. This thing is going to do a flight test sometime next month. It is not the final product but they have been working out how to build it

Live đź”´

If you have not been following the videos this stacking is super cool

channels to watch

mostly live

more info:

last test was StarHopper flight!! WATCH THIS

Last edited:
Explain it to me like I am one of your French girls.

Why is that impressive? It moved from one spot to another spot.

If you are one of my French girls, I'll explain it this way. That one is stumpy and small
the next test is going to be big long tall and erect and it moves the same way but with longer strokes

very big French girls like big. Like those big long breads called baguettes.

Last edited:
Super_heavy-lift_launch_vehicles.png

Musk's is gonna be bigger than everyone else's.

I am watching news of this almost every day since last September, and I still can't believe they think they can fly people to orbit and then to Mars with those shittily welded together aluminum cigars.

And producing two every week for 5 millions for one.
I mean, yeah, amazing if that will be the truth.
But I still feel like this is just the biggest con of all time, and one day Elon needs to confess that he was just goofing the world.

I am watching news of this almost every day since last September, and I still can't believe they think they can fly people to orbit and then to Mars with those shittily welded together aluminum cigars.

And producing two every week for 5 millions for one.
I mean, yeah, amazing if that will be the truth.
But I still feel like this is just the biggest con of all time, and one day Elon needs to confess that he was just goofing the world.

If you have been following how did you come up with this is the biggest con of all time?

If you have been following how did you come up with this is the biggest con of all time?
Just joking, off course..
It just feels so weird, seeing how much time and effort they spent on getting something like the crew dragon to work for many years now, and how that things looks like being made with so much care.

And on the Starship, it kind of looks like some dudes are plumbing together some shit from scrap parts they found in the back yard, but want to fly to mars with it in 2 years. And with a manned mission in 4 years.

Yeah, I know, the idea is to have short iterations to fail fast and getting better each time. And that this iteration is neither supposed to fly to Mars, nor having an actual crew on it.

Still, looks funny what they are doing there in a way.
You get what I am saying now?

Last edited:
Just joking, off course..
It just feels so weird, seeing how much time and effort they spent on getting something like the crew dragon to work for many years now, and how that things looks like being made with so much care.

And on the Starship, it kind of looks like some dudes are plumbing together some shit from scrap parts they found in the back yard, but want to fly to mars with it in 2 years. And with a manned mission in 4 years.

Yeah, I know, the idea is to have short iterations to fail fast and getting better each time. And that this iteration is neither supposed to fly to Mars, nor having an actual crew on it.

Still, looks funny what they are doing there in a way.
You get what I am saying now?

Oh,

I think the differences make a lot of sense. Crew Dragon was a NASA contract at first. They have competition there too but the other team was not even able to reach the ISS

while SpaceX has had some set backs with the Crew Dragon blowing up they are still ahead of Boeing's Starliner

Starliner failing and more expensive shows that putting a lot of money and care into something does not always equal success
Starliner has had some very serious technical issues very scary issues with their computers.

IF and that is still an IF Starship works it will make everything else look far behind including the Crew Dragon project.

I think it looks funny because they are not building them hidden behind closed doors like everyone else plus they test them often blowing them up and crashing them with plenty of videos showing how they failed. I don't think seeing it loses any of my respect for the process.

I'm glad this is not a SkunkWorks or Area 51 type process.
Yeah I get it, it looks nutty but I love it

Last edited:

I think the strangest thing about SpaceX's Boca Chica build is that they are building everything at the same time

You'll think they would build a factory building first then build the rocket but nope

every tent and building has been built at least 3 times, tents have gone up taken down and built up again a few feet to the right or left of the last tent

now they have structures that look more permanent

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Boca Chica is right next to a bordertown and people don't really live nearby outside a few ranchers. (the town closest to it is about 10 minutes away though. These space ships however are RIGHT next to the beach a shitloads of people go to btw.

V4skunk

Banned
Apparently it has no radiation shielding. :messenger_fearful:

Not sure why they're already cutting corners with space travel.
No such thing as radiation shielding on a spacecraft. Too much weight.
Going to Mars is 100% a one way trip and the chances of survival there are slim at best.
I believe every one will be dead with in 2 years of launch.

V4skunk

Banned
What a weird thing to believe in.
100 people travelling 9 months in a tin can through very powerful non ionising radiation with zero shielding! Then having to survive on a supposed dead planet, having to grow your own food and having to find lots of ice to make oxygen and water.
Chances of survival are slim.

Stouffers

Banned
100 people travelling 9 months in a tin can through very powerful non ionising radiation with zero shielding! Then having to survive on a supposed dead planet, having to grow your own food and having to find lots of ice to make oxygen and water.
Chances of survival are slim.
That’s what they said about the journey to the center of the earth.

I see a shiny new cone! Put it on, put it on!
updated live video link so should be 24/7 live stream until the next time they have to change links for downtime

Last edited:
nose cone stack

So to recap SN1 might just pressure test again and not fly :( best we could get is a raptor fire test too?

good news is a newer SN2 is going to start stacking soon that might be the one for the next flight test

Something might fly next month!

Last edited:
nose cone stack

So to recap SN1 might just pressure test again and not fly :( best we could get is a raptor fire test too?

good news is a newer SN2 is going to start stacking soon that might be the one for the next flight test

Something might fly next month!

That's what I heard as well yesterday :/
I don't yet believe we will see something flying until late summer, to be honest.
It's crazy how over optimistic those timelines are. I remember someone saying we might see the starship fly a month after the presentation last late september...
This stuff takes time..

Last edited:
That's what I heard as well yesterday :/
I don't yet believe we will see something flying until late summer, to be honest.
It's crazy how over optimistic those timelines are. I remember someone saying we might see the starship fly a month after the presentation last late september...
This stuff takes time..

It could just be the welding was not up to the standards on SN1, they are doing very different things on SN2 each version tends to add new and better solutions. Sure they might not fly until summer but I don't think Elon is afraid of flying and crashing these things in the Gulf of Mexico.

I'm still hoping SN2 will fly in late March

I mean they are the only ones with crews working 24 hour shifts on rockets like this that we know of. Not sure what the hurry is but Elon wants results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom