• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonys upcoming Multiplayer Games have the ability to take them to the next level

Batiman

Banned
And they’ll probably be right.
Why do you think so? Sony has a horrible history with MP. I’d like to be wrong though.

Spatoon is a good example. Highly overrated game from Nintendo fanboys hyping it up because it’s one of the only MP games they created. I liked the campaign though

Last edited:

BlueHawk357

If you want to play FPS games - PS5 isn’t the best place for it any more. Just like if you want to play 4K games - Switch isn’t good for that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you want to play FPS games - PS5 isn’t the best place for it any more. Just like if you want to play 4K games - Switch isn’t good for that. 🤷🏻‍♂️
The difference is one is a hardware limitation and the other is simply an allocation of resources issue which is being rectified. I know people want to hold these boxes to being good at one thing but its not really how it works. I think maybe some people love the idea of sony being a single player machine and xbox being a multiplayer machine, that way they can make it easier to choose which 500 dollar box to buy.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The difference is one is a hardware limitation and the other is simply an allocation of resources issue which is being rectified. I know people want to hold these boxes to being good at one thing but its not really how it works. I think maybe some people love the idea of sony being a single player machine and xbox being a multiplayer machine, that way they can make it easier to choose which 500 dollar box to buy.

Jesus christ I hope game is better than that website.

So terrible.

MonarchJT

Banned

it take years probably more than a gen...just like happened to Xbox one how much time is taking ? none of Sony studios are good at multiplayer games. That tweet say nothing honestly 🙄

Last edited:
I hope Sony can bounce back in terms of MP and put out some good shit. SOCOM II is still the pinnacle of online gaming imho, but that was generations ago. I think the game could still work. If you look at something like Rainbow Six, tactical shooters can be very popular still. Throw in third person, people love it.

But lately it seems like every Sony MP attempt has a “but…” attached to it. Killzone 2 was good, but, had sluggish controls and ugly art that threw people off. MAG was solid but, had terrible progression and wasn’t popular. Twisted Metal on PS3 was amazing in MP but, had horrific server issues that killed the game. Last of Us was also amazing, but, was ruined with microtransactions and pay to win bullshit.

Tbh I don’t have much faith that they’ll put something out and not ruin it with monetization.

Lognor

Banned
What stage of grief is this? Is it bargaining?

Other than TLOU, Sony's multiplayer games have been shit. Yes, they've added some talent but that does not guarantee success. They're competing against devs that have been making these types of games for YEARS. Maybe they'll make something like TLOU that has some stickiness for hardcore Sony fans, but I don't see them making anything in the near term that will become the zeitgeist. Nothing like COD or Fortnite or Halo. We'll see though! We haven't even seen what they're working on so it's possible. I'm just not going to be optimistic based on their output.

What stage of grief is this? Is it bargaining?

Other than TLOU, Sony's multiplayer games have been shit. Yes, they've added some talent but that does not guarantee success. They're competing against devs that have been making these types of games for YEARS. Maybe they'll make something like TLOU that has some stickiness for hardcore Sony fans, but I don't see them making anything in the near term that will become the zeitgeist. Nothing like COD or Fortnite or Halo. We'll see though! We haven't even seen what they're working on so it's possible. I'm just not going to be optimistic based on their output.
Have you even played the Killzone, Uncharted or Resistance MP before - all fantastic. Better than CoD and Fortnite for sure.

Barakov

Gold Member
there's not a single Sony MP game that ever rocked the boat in any way since the PS2... so I doubt that this will be big hits until I see it
Sad but true. There's been good stuff since then but nothing on the level of tentpole mp games.

Lognor

Banned
Have you even played the Killzone, Uncharted or Resistance MP before - all fantastic. Better than CoD and Fortnite for sure.
Yep, played every single one of them. And I wouldn't consider any of them fantastic. I hated Killzone and Resistance was okay. Uncharted was fun, but it's not a first person shooter. And no, none of them are better than Call of Duty. Fortnite maybe, but that game is trash.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Sure, studios famous for cinematic games, on a platform that hasn't had a multiplayer smash hit in over fifteen years, is going to put out multiple COD-level multiplayer titles in rapid succession. Why did they even both talking with Microsoft about COD exclusivity - clearly TLOU2: Factions is going to be the next Fortnight-level mega-hit.

Didn't Drunkman say Factions 2 was going to be very cinematic. Isn't that what all the hardcore competitive FPS players are looking for in their MP games -- more cutscenes. :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles:

Batiman

Banned
Seems like a lot of these projects are just getting started. With how long games take to make I wouldn’t be surprised if they come out in 3-4 years. Maybe longer

W11d

I don't think Deviation is working on a MP focused game. From their job listings it's a storydriven action rpg that you can play solo or co-op.
Firewalk is the one who working on some AAA PvP PvE game

Lognor

Banned
Reading the Uncharted 5 review thread I found out that Sony did not include the multiplayer component in the PS5 version! WTF? A real head scratcher.

I would not trust Sony to go all in on multiplayer content. They can't even be bothered to include it in a port of a game that had it! lol

Kagey K

Banned
I don't think Deviation is working on a MP focused game. From their job listings it's a storydriven action rpg that you can play solo or co-op.
Firewalk is the one who working on some AAA PvP PvE game
I didn't even get to the job listing I was too busy laughing at the front page.

BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS 😅

So much cringe all over it.

Seems like a lot of these projects are just getting started. With how long games take to make I wouldn’t be surprised if they come out in 3-4 years. Maybe longer

The Firewalk, Guerrilla, and Twisted Metal game have been in production since 2018. You can see from their linkedin pages most of these games started production a few years ago.

We also know factions 2 is most likely close to complete. Haven and Deviations games are probably further out. Helldivers 2 was leaked in the GeForce database so its probably this year.

Last edited:

Elios83

I'm not particularly interested in multiplayer games but it's clear that Sony has made deals with tons of talented people in the genre.
People who worked on COD, Destiny, Ubisoft Montreal and that's on top of what internal studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, London Studio are making.
The talents are absolutely there and we might see a few of these new projects being unveiled this year.

Concern

This thread is funny.

If you say anything that is not positive in an Xbox related thread, these guys in here get very defensive.

Now they're here roaming Sony related threads with no problem. lol

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'm not particularly interested in multiplayer games but it's clear that Sony has made deals with tons of talented people in the genre.
People who worked on COD, Destiny, Ubisoft Montreal and that's on top of what internal studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, London Studio are making.
The talents are absolutely there and we might see a few of these new projects being unveiled this year.

Yeah, look at the list of people on firewalks game…

The studio was formed in 2018 and is led by Hsu, who was general manager and senior vice president of Destiny at Activision; game director Ryan Elli, a former Bungie creative director; and executive producer Elena Siegman, who worked as a producer on Guitar Hero II and Bioshock Infinite as well as Destiny. Other team members have worked on the likes of Call of Duty, Apex Legends, Mass Effect and Halo.

SpokkX

There is literary NO precedence for Sony making good multiplayer. Every single multi game they have released has been mediocre, at best

Lets face it - they have never released a multiplayer game in the class of even Halo 2, let alone never multiplayer games like minecraft, sea of thieves, infinite, fortnite etc

I am sure they will try

…But expecting singleplayer studios to make ”the best multiplayer games”… yeah that is just not realistic expectations (even if you love Sony)

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

And you are getting very defensive. So yeah, I guess it goes both ways, huh?
Here's the difference.

I just said I found it funny. I never said you guys should leave.

Some of you guys, on the other hand (especially Concern) complain about Concern trolling in Xbox thread and try to get the Sony guys to leave. :messenger_tears_of_joy: You guys complain the most about this stuff and this is one of the very FEW times I pointed it out.

There is literary NO precedence for Sony making good multiplayer. Every single multi game they have released has been mediocre, at best

Lets face it - they have never released a multiplayer game in the class of even Halo 2, let alone never multiplayer games like minecraft, sea of thieves, infinite, fortnite etc

I am sure they will try

…But expecting singleplayer studios to make ”the best multiplayer games”… yeah that is just not realistic expectations (even if you love Sony)

Which single player studios?

Firesprite, deviation, and Firewalk are studios built by vets from multiplayer studios.

Guerrilla has been making multiplayer games for two decades and naughty dog has plenty of multiplayer experience.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

I am sure they will try

They had big succes in the PS2/PS3 era with Socom (Socom was huge) series and other games. They had also Sony Online Entertainment with Planetside, Everquest etc. H1Z1.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Thia thread is amusing. A lot of people downplaying Sony’s ability to make a popular MP game. Let me ask you people something: before the os3 demise and ps4, was Sony able to make the single player they are now? No, they weren’t. There’s this thing called hiring talent and learning stuff that helps, like sony has been doing. So, I know who are those trying to downplay Sony’s effort. I wonder why would they do that…

Thia thread is amusing. A lot of people downplaying Sony’s ability to make a popular MP game. Let me ask you people something: before the os3 demise and ps4, was Sony able to make the single player they are now? No, they weren’t. There’s this thing called hiring talent and learning stuff that helps, like sony has been doing. So, I know who are those trying to downplay Sony’s effort. I wonder why would they do that…

They want to continue having that be “their” thing. If Sony actually get it together and start putting out banger multiplayer games theres almost no argument against their capabilities as a publisher anymore.

No more “hur hur wun and duns” comments after next year/

Last edited:

T0minator

As much as I loved Ratchet on PS5 I really wish Insomniac used that time and resources to create a Multiplayer game utilizing the DualSense. Maybe a spiritual successor to Resistance or something entirely new. That would've been a great game to jump in and out of throughout the year.

PlayStation has plans for mp games...they're obviously in development. They've been pretty quiet about their plans, that's been kind of frustrating, but we all know those types of games are coming.

Naughty Dog is taking it seriously and I really like that.

I'm wondering which studio is going to release their game first. OP says Firewalk? Maybe this year?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

I am sure they will try

TLOU MP wasn't mediocre.
Gran Turismo Sport wasn't medicore
MLB The Show is not mediocre.

When Sea of Thieves was released, the game barely had any content and all Xbox fans were saying was "Oh, I think it's fun. That's all that matters." In their mind it was successful.

The game started doing much better (in terms of sales) when it was released on Steam. The concurrent player count peaked at 66k on steam and it averages around 20k on steam. The game is probably around the same ballpark on Xbox consoles.

So you're telling me that Sea of Thieves is in the league of the other MP titles that you just mentioned and it's an unachievable benchmark?

I said before that TLOU MP is probably their most popular MP game in recent years and it still has an active community online. People who criticize Sony's MP games think this game barely has any players or that it died shortly after it was released.

One of the most important factors when it comes to MP games is the concurrent player count. Xbox guys can't tell me the concurrent player count for Forza Motorsports, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, Gears of War, and Halo. Forza and Halo are two of their biggest MP games to date and the concurrent player count is low on Steam. I think Xbox guys tend to overestimate the popularity of their multiplayer games as some type of unachievable benchmark.

BlueHawk357

I own all 3 and honestly, PS5 really is not the console for FPS games at all. There are literally no exclusive FPS games on it. Heck even the Switch has a few questionable FPS games but it’s more than PS5 still. PlayStation only seem to care for Cinematic action adventure games which isn’t a bad thing at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As much as I loved Ratchet on PS5 I really wish Insomniac used that time and resources to create a Multiplayer game utilizing the DualSense. Maybe a spiritual successor to Resistance or something entirely new. That would've been a great game to jump in and out of throughout the year.

PlayStation has plans for mp games...they're obviously in development. They've been pretty quiet about their plans, that's been kind of frustrating, but we all know those types of games are coming.

Naughty Dog is taking it seriously and I really like that.

I'm wondering which studio is going to release their game first. OP says Firewalk? Maybe this year?

It’s between Factions 2, Firewalks game, and Arrowheads game. They’ve all had the same amount of production time, around 4-5 years. We’ll most likely find out at the next state of play

I own all 3 and honestly, PS5 really is not the console for FPS games at all. There are literally no exclusive FPS games on it. Heck even the Switch has a few questionable FPS games but it’s more than PS5 still. PlayStation only seem to care for Cinematic action adventure games which isn’t a bad thing at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I mean, i dont understand your argument. CoD and every other shooter sells the most on playstation so it is the console for FPS. If you’re talking about how they don’t care about making a exclusive FPS well i just explained in the op why thats changing. It’s the entire point of the thread

As of right now the only exclusive fps on xbox is halo and nintendo doesn’t have any, nintendo barely even has a functional network for competitive gaming

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
This thread is funny.

If you say anything that is not positive in an Xbox related thread, these guys in here get very defensive.

Now they're here roaming Sony related threads with no problem. lol

Let them have their fun. Xbox is in a good place for now and hopefully foreseeable future. Xbox has been the broken dog for an entire gen.

So now all the people who have stuck with the brand can actually share their enthusiasm that doesn’t come off reaching.

Mind you this changes nothing from a quality and top tier rating of Sony studios who in my opinion are in a league of their own.

So both party’s are fine doing well. It’s just they took different approaches to reach different goals.

T0minator

It’s between Factions 2, Firewalks game, and Arrowheads game. They’ve all had the same amount of production time, around 4-5 years. We’ll most likely find out at the next state of play
I'm hoping their state of play is actually on Feb 3rd like some have suggested... but if it's not announced by tomorrow then that state of play won't be happening next week. I'm not familiar with Arrowheads game but Firewalk seems interesting. I've been sick of CoD for a while now, when I'm really bored, I boot it up every once in a while, Halo is starting to get there for me. The PS5 controller is perfect for FPS shooters...they just need to release. Xbox fans wait for great single player experiences and PS fans are waiting great FPS experiences. They've both got what each other doesn't really have much of...its interesting

Swift_Star

Banned
Does a console need exclusive fps to be a place for fps? That makes no sense.

Top Bottom