• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonys upcoming Multiplayer Games have the ability to take them to the next level

Swift_Star

Banned
Let them have their fun. Xbox is in a good place for now and hopefully foreseeable future. Xbox has been the broken dog for an entire gen.

So now all the people who have stuck with the brand can actually share their enthusiasm that doesn’t come off reaching.

Mind you this changes nothing from a quality and top tier rating of Sony studios who in my opinion are in a league of their own.

So both party’s are fine doing well. It’s just they took different approaches to reach different goals.
They should share their enthusiasm without trying to downplay PS, that shows they don’t really trust their favorite brand.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I own all 3 and honestly, PS5 really is not the console for FPS games at all. There are literally no exclusive FPS games on it. Heck even the Switch has a few questionable FPS games but it’s more than PS5 still. PlayStation only seem to care for Cinematic action adventure games which isn’t a bad thing at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Then how do you explain the following?

- Expanding the staff of their current studios.
- Naughty Dog's next game is a stand-alone Multiplayer title.
- Guerrilla Games recruiting ex Rainbow Six: Siege Devs
- Twisted Metal Multiplayer game
- Haven multiplayer title
- Deviation multiplayer title.

So how can they only care for single-player titles when they're hiring devs for multiplayer titles?

Beechos

To be fair there were more than enough fps franchises around that sony themselves didnt really have to do anything/worry about it. Now that ms have bought bethestha and activision they pretty much own all the big fps franchises. Off the top of my head ea is the only 3rd party left that has any fps worth a damn that ms doesnt own, i guess ubisoft with its farcry series. Kinda insane now that i think of it.

Last edited:
To be fair there were more than enough fps franchises around that sony themselves didnt really have to do anything/worry about it. Now that ms have bought bethestha and activision they pretty much own all the big fps franchises. Off the top of my head ea is the only 3rd party left that has any fps worth a damn that ms doesnt own, i guess ubisoft with its farcry series. Kinda insane now that i think of it.

And some independent studios like Bungie. I think all these devs hop from studio to studio its hard to even pinpoint which will stay dominant. These devs don’t want to be locked down under activision who are now locked down under microsoft.

Beechos

And some independent studios like Bungie. I think all these devs hop from studio to studio its hard to even pinpoint which will stay dominant. These devs don’t want to be locked down under activision who are now locked down under microsoft.
Its also crazy too that sony doesnt have a bigger 1st party multiplayer presence. Sure their games selling 10-20 millions units are amazing but that pales in comparsion to what some of these multiplayer games make from mtx and dlc.

Its also crazy too that sony doesnt have a bigger 1st party multiplayer presence. Sure their games selling 10-20 millions units are amazing but that pales in comparsion to what some of these multiplayer games make from mtx and dlc.

They probably thought they could coast off the third parties and be a “speciality” publisher but i think when Hermen Hulst and Shu and a bunch of people got promoted and shuffled around a few years ago they decided they had to diversify the line up. Thats something Hulst has been saying a lot in interviews.

I think it was under Shawn layden that the open world/action gams became the dominate game under sony. The studios were also a lot smaller last gen. They didn’t really have the capacity to develop multiple games at once like they do now

Last edited:

Damigos

Well they need a couple of good Multiplayer games, Im not even a big multiplayer gamer but a few good choices would be great.

And yes I dont want current franchises destroyed or changed to be multiplayer. But some new IP or older IP brought back with multiplayer modes like Killzone, Socom, Twister Metal, MotorStorm etc would be cool
For those i agree. And i had some of the best MP ever in Driveclub. But imagine skin packs for The Last of Us and Battle Passes for God of War...

Warablo

The victim complex is crazy

I expect TLOU II online to be good. No idea how big it will be though.

Last edited:

SpokkX

TLOU MP wasn't mediocre.
Gran Turismo Sport wasn't medicore
MLB The Show is not mediocre.

When Sea of Thieves was released, the game barely had any content and all Xbox fans were saying was "Oh, I think it's fun. That's all that matters." In their mind it was successful.

The game started doing much better (in terms of sales) when it was released on Steam. The concurrent player count peaked at 66k on steam and it averages around 20k on steam. The game is probably around the same ballpark on Xbox consoles.

So you're telling me that Sea of Thieves is in the league of the other MP titles that you just mentioned and it's an unachievable benchmark?

I said before that TLOU MP is probably their most popular MP game in recent years and it still has an active community online. People who criticize Sony's MP games think this game barely has any players or that it died shortly after it was released.

One of the most important factors when it comes to MP games is the concurrent player count. Xbox guys can't tell me the concurrent player count for Forza Motorsports, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, Gears of War, and Halo. Forza and Halo are two of their biggest MP games to date and the concurrent player count is low on Steam. I think Xbox guys tend to overestimate the popularity of their multiplayer games as some type of unachievable benchmark.
I am saying Sea of thieves is on another level than anything Sony has produced in the multiplayer space, and by FAR.

MLB? TLOU? None of the games you mentioned are even better (iin systems etc) than Halo 2 from 2004...
Oh an Gran Turismo sport is very mediocre multiplayer compared to the competition in multiplayer space (see Forza Horizon games for example)

Sony has focused on singleplayer and is untouchable there - but they have NEVER produced an amazing or even very good multiplayer game. Their multi games have either been niche (Starhawk, Twisted Metal) och mediocre compared to the singleplayer modes (Killzone, Uncharted, TLOU, Tsushima)

They dont have a single successful game a service - so yeah expectations should not be high here

Is this a weird take? Do you expect Microsoft to produce an amazing singleplayer cinematic linear third person experience "Sony-style" also?

Last edited:

T0minator

No way sony doesn’t or hasn’t acquired them if they’re expanding like that

I'm sure at this point Sony is eye ballin these independent devs more than ever. Deviation being built with PlayStation. Naturally an acquisition seems very likely. Haven Studios has been so quiet I haven't seen job postings

Last edited:
I'm sure at this point Sony is eye ballin these independent devs more than ever. Deviation being built with PlayStation. Naturally an acquisition seems very likely. Haven Studios has been so quiet I haven't seen hitting postings
No job listings because they are poaching like crazy from Ubisoft. They’ve been getting al ot of senior talent from there and i think she already had a team in place from the google game.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I am saying Sea of thieves is on another level than anything Sony has produced in the multiplayer space, and by FAR.

Better based on what? Your own opinion?

MLB? TLOU? None of the games you mentioned are even better (iin systems etc) than Halo 2 from 2004...
Oh an Gran Turismo sport is very mediocre multiplayer compared to the competition in multiplayer space (see Forza Horizon games for example)
You're literally bringing up games from 2022. That's how far you're reaching.

The main motorsports series hasn't been a huge hit. GT games have been much bigger than the Motorsports mainline series. So based on your post, GT sport was bigger than the just about every single one of those.

Sony has focused on singleplayer and is untouchable there - but they have NEVER produced an amazing or even very good multiplayer game. Their multi games have either been niche (Starhawk, Twisted Metal) och mediocre compared to the singleplayer modes (Killzone, Uncharted, TLOU, Tsushima)

They dont have a single successful game a service - so yeah expectations should not be high here

Is this a weird take? Do you expect Microsoft to produce an amazing singleplayer cinematic linear third person experience "Sony-style" also?
Where's your proof that GT Sport, TLOU MP, and MLB have been niche.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It is usually a good idea to take a look at twitch to see hos successful any game a service is

lets see

GT Sport currently has 54 viewers on Twitch
Helldivers currently has 1 viewer on Twitch
MLB the show currently has 156 viewers on Twitch

...clearly we have a different definition of "successful"
You're going by twitch views? LOL

The desperation is real.

Yoboman

You're right, Sony doesn't have a single successful multiplayer game just like MS dont have a single successful single player game

SpokkX

You're going by twitch views? LOL
The desperation is real.

Well games as a service has long legs.. and streaming reflects that. These games seem pretty dead

Gt sport etc does not seem like a good example of a successful ”as a service” game. Any other ideas?

Oh and any other metrics you can show to prove Sony have had successful games of this kind?

SpokkX

You're right, Sony doesn't have a single successful multiplayer game just like MS dont have a single successful single player game
Yeah this is actually a good point.

Sonys "successful" titles have been good pretty much 100% because of their singleplayer modes (many even lack multiplayer)
TLOU
Uncharted
Ratchet
Returnal
Ghost of Tsushima
the list goes on

MS "successful" titles have pretty much all have multiplayer (of some kind of games as a service) at the front, or at least a big part
Halo (multi is played way more and has coop)
Gears (multi is played way more and has coop)
Sea of Thieves
Minecraft
Forza Horizon

Ori is the only singleplayer title of note from MS really.. (If you count Bethesda there are however lots of course)

Last edited:

yurinka

It is usually a good idea to take a look at twitch to see hos successful any game a service is
This is a dumb idea, GaaS performance and Twitch viewership are totally unrelated, specially for games released many years ago.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sonys "successful" titles have been good pretty much 100% because of their singleplayer modes (many even lack multiplayer)
TLOU
Uncharted
Ratchet
Returnal
Ghost of Tsushima
the list goes on

They also have many important MP games even if most of them aren't as popular:
Gran Turismo
Twisted Metal
Little Big Planet
MLB? (I have no idea if it has MP)
Singstar
Wipeout
Motorstorm
Helldivers

Last edited:

SpokkX

They also have many important MP games even if most of them aren't as popular:
Gran Turismo
Twisted Metal
Little Big Planet
MLB? (I have no idea if it has MP)
Singstar
Wipeout
Motorstorm
Helldivers
yeah but that was my whole point. Sony has had lots of multiplayer games - But none have been really successful or big.

Every single multiplayer game/mode has faded away quickly unlike Sonys MASSIVE success on the singleplayer front. Sony has really relied on third parties for multiplayer (Destiny, Rocket L, Fortnite, CoD, Battlefield, Minecraft etc)

Riky

$MSFT
We will have to wait until these games are even announced then released years from now before we know if they can maintain any sort of online community which in my opinion Sony hasn't managed since the early years of Killzone 2.
Destruction All Stars was the last effort and it was terrible.

Loxus

We will have to wait until these games are even announced then released years from now before we know if they can maintain any sort of online community which in my opinion Sony hasn't managed since the early years of Killzone 2.
Destruction All Stars was the last effort and it was terrible.
I like how you ignore Uncharted and the Last of Us multiplayer.

yurinka

yeah but that was my whole point. Sony has had lots of multiplayer games - But none have been really successful or big.
Not true:
Gran Turismo has been their best selling IP for decades with over 80M units sold.
Singstar franchise sold around 20M copies.
LBP with a few games sold over 10M copies and a shit ton of DLC.
Twisted Metal and Wipeout were some of their biggest brands in their early days.
MLB sells a shit ton, last year it was one of the best selling games of the year.

I like how you ignore Uncharted and the Last of Us multiplayer.
And games like Gran Turismo Sport

Last edited:

Three

While I'm not a huge fan of online multiplayer, I think the best way for Sony to succeed with multiplayer games is to have them on PC day and date. This will ensure there is a higher playercount to keep engagement and if there is a matchmaking option on console to keep to console players only then it alleviates the fear of cheating.

This method would give them the best possible chance to succeed.
I think this is the only way. A lot of the PS playerbase enjoy single player games and to reach critical mass for a f2p type game they would need to also release it on PC.

kyliethicc

lets see

GT Sport currently has 54 viewers on Twitch
Helldivers currently has 1 viewer on Twitch
MLB the show currently has 156 viewers on Twitch

...clearly we have a different definition of "successful"
Twitch lol

Success is sales and reviews.

MonarchJT

Banned
Twitch lol

please stop with this ridiculous ... Sony is a sucker when it comes to multiplayer. and if that weren't enough, their network hasn't always shone for stability and what's more, they are famous for shutting down early servers that they believe are no longer profitable enough. Sony's rating for multiplayer titles is below mediocrity

MikeM

there's not a single Sony MP game that ever rocked the boat in any way since the PS2... so I doubt that this will be big hits until I see it
Warhawk stands out to me. Hell, my dad played it like a religion and he is not a gamer.
Does Sony really need to replace Call of Duty with some other game? Would Call of Duty players give up Call of Duty and stay on PlayStation for a new Sony multiplayer game? I think the answer to both is no.

The real question is whether Sony needs a shooter to replace this one. No matter what they build it won't be the same so the better play is probably to just focus on more new IP of the kind that only Sony is making these days and let the chips fall where they may with the loss of CoD.
If Sony made one compelling enough, i’m sure if everyone’s current COD PS buddies were willing to switch, then they would too. COD is not unbeatable.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony needs a online multiplayer shooter we know Gurrellia games is occupied with Horizon but going against Halo and Gears year after year is difficult for Sony.

Loxus

you mean those two games that everyone with their friends can't wait to jump in everyday to play in multiplayer ? ah no sorry probably you talking about wrong games
Did you even played those games?
Late PS3, early PS4 had the best multiplayer.

Everyone had their own preference.
Mine was:
Gran Turismo: 5&6
Grand Theft Auto: 4&5 + DLC
Last of Us (PS3&4)
Max Payne: 3
Red Dead Redemption: 1&2
Uncharted: 3&4

Not everyone on the planet plays FPS games or do you live under a rock?

MonarchJT

Banned
Did you even played those games?
Late PS3, early PS4 had the best multiplayer.

Everyone had their own preference.
Mine was:
Gran Turismo: 5&6
Grand Theft Auto: 4&5 + DLC
Last of Us (PS3&4)
Max Payne: 3
Red Dead Redemption: 1&2
Uncharted: 3&4

Not everyone on the planet plays FPS games or do you live under a rock?
people talk about Sony first party releases ..GTA max Payne Rdr are not sony ip's
Fps (and mobas) games are clearly the most multiplayer played games around the world. But my point was that multiplayer offer from Sony first party is at best mediocre

Last edited:

Elbereth

CTRL+ F Warhawk
Feelings Reaction GIF

SpokkX

Twitch lol

in singleplayer games yes

in games "as a service" multiplayer games it is 100% about player engagement over time

Look at the reviews for Sea of Thieves - it was critically panned. But it is a massive success as a service game that improves over time

how can you not know this? this is the ONLY metric for multiplayer games these days. come on

BlueHawk357

Then how do you explain the following?

- Expanding the staff of their current studios.
- Naughty Dog's next game is a stand-alone Multiplayer title.
- Guerrilla Games recruiting ex Rainbow Six: Siege Devs
- Twisted Metal Multiplayer game
- Haven multiplayer title
- Deviation multiplayer title.

So how can they only care for single-player titles when they're hiring devs for multiplayer titles?
You raise some very fair points, I appreciate that tbh. First of all I’m going to discard Naughty Dog completely as their MP add-one have been very poor. I hope they prove me wrong though.

The ones that intrigue me most are Guerilla Games, and Deviation personally. I believe they can both bring out decent multiplayer titles.

Hey, let’s have our fingers crossed. Would be nice for a bit more variety. 👏

Last edited:

kyliethicc

in singleplayer games yes

in games "as a service" multiplayer games it is 100% about player engagement over time

Look at the reviews for Sea of Thieves - it was critically panned. But it is a massive success as a service game that improves over time

how can you not know this? this is the ONLY metric for multiplayer games these days. come on

Twitch views lol.

Most people play their games, they don't go watch other people play their games.

Loxus

people talk about Sony first party releases ..GTA max Payne Rdr are not sony ip's
Fps (and mobas) games are clearly the most multiplayer played games around the world. But my point was that multiplayer offer from Sony first party is at best mediocre
I list the type of multiplayer games I play which includes PlayStation exclusive.

My friends and I had more fun playing those games than any FPS game.

You act like FPS games can only have good multiplayer but you clearly never played TLOU or Uncharted multiplayer.

SpokkX

Twitch views lol.

Most people play their games, they don't go watch other people play their games.
Yeah and I imagine a MASSIVE audience plays killzone multiplayer, tlou multiplayer, uncharted multiplayer, gt sport multiplayer

only.. none of them are the stream anything - they just play!

But there are biillions playing these games I tell you! billions!!!!

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Warhawk stands out to me. Hell, my dad played it like a religion and he is not a gamer.

If Sony made one compelling enough, i’m sure if everyone’s current COD PS buddies were willing to switch, then they would too. COD is not unbeatable.
An exclusive online shooter so compelling that it not only gets you to switch from COD, but also gets all of your friends to switch from COD, seems like a pretty big lift.

kyliethicc

This is an old archaic way to look at the industry. Fortnite and warzone are the highest played / revenue generating pieces of software on PS. F2P Multiplayer games literally sustain the PS platform and you want to come on here and say it’s about sales in 2022 your outlook is very outdated.
Sales meaning money. Including mtx.

Top Bottom