• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonys upcoming Multiplayer Games have the ability to take them to the next level

Tschumi

Thats exactly what i said in the first place?
Please stop this bs, you've said worthy stuff, stop trying to pretend that you didn't say "copium: the thread", or that it was some kind of innocent observation
Like Titanfall (awesome game) COD, and Halo and Goldeneye before them, its like lightening in a bottle to make that something special, not only that it has to stick as well. Again see Titanfall.

Obviously there are more, but its just not that easy, although they have a good track record with there other stuff so who knows? Hopefully they make a hit, more decent games on the market the better.
I don't really understand that you're trying to say here. I don't care about mp and it's not the reason i buy consoles. I'll say My thing one more time.. no, I'll just quote myself:

. So i just came here to post my take, that this means little to me.
And i posted to say i don't need that kind of spin
Ragnarok, GT7 and HFW = already enough for me to not need any positive spin from PS fans

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It is very rare for new players to come in and blow everyone away. I can see if they get Bungie, but to pin your hopes on Jade Raymond and some ex-Treyarch and Bungie burnouts is wishful thinking. Besides, these games take like 4-5 years to make. Thats how long it took Respawn to make Titanfall after splitting up with Activision. Thats how long it took Kojima to release Death Stranding after he was fired by konami. Same goes for Bungie who split up with Microsoft in September 2010 after shipping Halo and had to wait a full 4 years to make Destiny and they still released half a game.

The ex-DICE guys who started Embark studios 3 years ago still arent even close to releasing their new shooter. Dont expect any of these games to ship before 2024-2025. There is a reason why Sony hasnt even revealed them. They are too far away.

Time for internal team creation is over. It's too late to nurture new studios and hope the new IPs grow and blossom into bonafide IPs like COD. CoD was big but not huge until its FOURTH game. Epic revolutionized the third person genre, single handedly invented coop horde modes and PvE and they still didnt get to CoD level success until Fortnite over a decade later. This shit takes time. Partnering with untested newly formed studios is good for long term investment, but they need to act now and if they dont go out and overpay for Bungie, GTA Online and Fortnite, there wont be a userbase to sell those new IPs to. They have already lost three of the biggest WRPGs in Fallout, Starfield and Elder Scrolls. They have already lost Doom, Overwatch, CoD and Wolfenstein. They cannot just sit by and hope a new studio turns into Naughty Dog in a flash. It took Naughty Dog 20 years of being a Sony dev to get to where they are today.

clarky

Gold Member
Please stop this bs, you've said worthy stuff, stop trying to pretend that you didn't say "copium: the thread", or that it was some kind of innocent observation

I don't really understand that you're trying to say here. I don't care about mp and it's not the reason i buy consoles. I'll say My thing one more time.. no, I'll just quote myself:
Ok one more time.

1) Copium the thread, small jibe not directly aimed at you. I own and have owned all 5 Playstations. If i upset you i apologize.

2) If COD does leave PS, then Sony will have to find another title that fills the void as you need PS+ to play it. You don't need PS+ to play the titles that sony are known best for. I personally fall into this group as i play those single player games and have no need for PS+ , you fall into this group as well (although looks like you have plus for other reasons, cool).

Can't you see that they need a banging MP game to help sell PS+ IF COD leaves? I AM NOT TALKING JUST ABOUT YOU.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Ok one more time.

Copium the thread, small jibe not directly aimed at you. I own and have owned all 5 Playstations. If i upset you i apologize.

If COD does leave PS, then Sony will have to find another title that fills the void as you need PS+ to play it. You don't need PS+ to play the titles that sony are known best for. I personally fall into this group as i play those single player games and have no need for PS+ , you fall into this group as well (although looks like you have plus for other reasons, cool).

Can't you see that they need a banging MP game to help sell PS+ IF COD leaves? I AM NOT TALKING JUST ABOUT YOU.
I don't know enough about mp to know if cod really is a huge slice of ps mp user base.. i wonder about battlefield, battlefront, pubg (i dunno if it's on console) , FIFA, etc etc etc? Anyway everyone hates the latest cod, i thought it was the death knell of the series before the buyout, might still be

Anyway, yep good enough points, i still think the thread was more about possible upcoming titles, not cod specifically, though i must say that to this point i still haven't read the op since, as we've agreed, i only posted here to say i don't need mp to like ps.

clarky

Gold Member
I don't know enough about mp to know if cod really is a huge slice of ps mp user base.. i wonder about battlefield, battlefront, pubg (i dunno if it's on console) , FIFA, etc etc etc? Anyway everyone hates the latest cod, i thought it was the death knell of the series before the buyout, might still be

Anyway, yep good enough points, i still think the thread was more about possible upcoming titles, not cod specifically, though i must say that to this point i still haven't read the op since, as we've agreed, i only posted here to say i don't need mp to like ps.
Wait you haven't even read the OP? why are you posting in a thread when you can even be bothered to read what the OP has to say?
So what? Do we really need to be concerned for that?
You can bet your ass sony will be concerned have you seen how much bank they make from PS+?

Totally sorry for the slight derail guys. Apologies.

Last edited:

Novacain

I'm old, I play mostly singleplayer games and that's the only thing that ever brought me to Sony consoles. This does literally nothing for me and probably decreases the value of the platform for me personally since they are less focused on what I like.

Though if this speaks to anyone, awesome!

Kerotan

"Lets sell PlayStation Plus subscriptions"

4XHOpwo.jpg
In fairness there are about 50M subbed to the service. By far the biggest sub service in gaming. And profitability wise it's off the charts. Increasing ps plus subs a much better idea then chasing ps now subs.

MonarchJT

Banned
It is very rare for new players to come in and blow everyone away. I can see if they get Bungie, but to pin your hopes on Jade Raymond and some ex-Treyarch and Bungie burnouts is wishful thinking. Besides, these games take like 4-5 years to make. Thats how long it took Respawn to make Titanfall after splitting up with Activision. Thats how long it took Kojima to release Death Stranding after he was fired by konami. Same goes for Bungie who split up with Microsoft in September 2010 after shipping Halo and had to wait a full 4 years to make Destiny and they still released half a game.

The ex-DICE guys who started Embark studios 3 years ago still arent even close to releasing their new shooter. Dont expect any of these games to ship before 2024-2025. There is a reason why Sony hasnt even revealed them. They are too far away.

Time for internal team creation is over. It's too late to nurture new studios and hope the new IPs grow and blossom into bonafide IPs like COD. CoD was big but not huge until its FOURTH game. Epic revolutionized the third person genre, single handedly invented coop horde modes and PvE and they still didnt get to CoD level success until Fortnite over a decade later. This shit takes time. Partnering with untested newly formed studios is good for long term investment, but they need to act now and if they dont go out and overpay for Bungie, GTA Online and Fortnite, there wont be a userbase to sell those new IPs to. They have already lost three of the biggest WRPGs in Fallout, Starfield and Elder Scrolls. They have already lost Doom, Overwatch, CoD and Wolfenstein. They cannot just sit by and hope a new studio turns into Naughty Dog in a flash. It took Naughty Dog 20 years of being a Sony dev to get to where they are today.
they should buy bungie

ZehDon

Gold Member
Sure, studios famous for cinematic games, on a platform that hasn't had a multiplayer smash hit in over fifteen years, is going to put out multiple COD-level multiplayer titles in rapid succession. Why did they even both talking with Microsoft about COD exclusivity - clearly TLOU2: Factions is going to be the next Fortnight-level mega-hit.

EDMIX

late ps3 generation and since then they haven’t really put a lot of multiplayer titles out

True, but I'd say they had solid reason.

During that PS3 gen, they went ham on MP titles.

Motorstorm series
LBP series
Killzone series
Resistance series
MAG
Socom reboot
DCU
Warhawk
Starhawk
lol... PS Home

They tried, they really went outside the box and for a company that didn't have much MP games the gen prior outside of stuff like Socom and Everquest etc

With PS3 you could tell they really wanted PSN to be solid, take on XBL feature by feature and have its games be MP focused and if you look it up, its waaaaay more then what I listed.

I think a of those flops is what got the direction to focus on what those teams do best, vs having a MP add on that simply can't compete with a COD or BF. I think that combo worked well for PS as their IP going forward for the most part wasn't competing with 3rd party MP games. You could buy Horizon Zero Dawn and play Call Of Duty that year on PS and not feel like it was an either or thing.

So with Sony wanting to give MP games another look in terms of more support then during the PS4 gen, i think it must be done carefully. if Killzone and Resistance didn't work before, let it die and move on, get teams that CAN do that concept and give the new IP funding to those MP titles and see where it goes.

I feel during the PS4 gen, its just over saturated with MP games and maybe Sony was right to sit that one out in regards to not making it their main focus. So many 3rd parties filled that gap for Sony, now they need to reconsider that with the latest shifts from 3rd party to first party.

MonarchJT

Banned
In fairness there are about 50M subbed to the service. By far the biggest sub service in gaming. And profitability wise it's off the charts. Increasing ps plus subs a much better idea then chasing ps now subs.
i don't know .....there's been a very strong rumor (from people who constantly follow Microsoft) that Ms will reset and abandon Live Gold, also because the console platform is the only one that is forced to pay beyond the gamepass, PC, iOS, android, MacOS with xcloud do not. If this were to happen Sony would really be forced to follow in Ms footsteps otherwise it would really risk losing a good part of its userbase .. Sony needs to think of a replacement.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Keep'em coming, this is just hilarious.
Salt, panic, anger, jealousy? Dunno what it is but this purchase has Sony fans sweating. It is going to be ok. The void will likely be filled with more quality 1st party games. Nothing to fear.

Who knows? We may look back and say MS wasted their money. Could be a blessing in disguise for Sony. They double down on what got them this far and release more high quality classics.

But these panic threads? 😆 Stop it

Kerotan

i don't know .....there's been a very strong rumor (from people who constantly follow Microsoft) that Ms will reset and abandon Live Gold, also because the console platform is the only one that is forced to pay beyond the gamepass, PC, iOS, android, MacOS with xcloud do not. If this were to happen Sony would really be forced to follow in Ms footsteps otherwise it would really risk losing a good part of its userbase .. Sony needs to think of a replacement.
No chance sony follow. 3BN a year in revenue off ps plus. When ps3 was free it didn't effect gold numbers.

MonarchJT

Banned
No chance sony follow. 3BN a year in revenue off ps plus. When ps3 was free it didn't effect gold numbers.
it affected userbase and with everyone that the PS3 didn't have a lot of games at launch(given the development difficulties encountered by First parties), being a lot more expensive that. xbox, and initially the games ran better on the rival platform .. it managed to overcome the initial defaillance .....free multiplayer helped for sure in the sales

The Alien

Banned
These aren't even hot takes anymore. Not even luke warm.

Microsoft confirmed they were planning on publishing the game on PlayStation still. Seriously what the hell is wrong with everyone?
Cuz everyone can see the writing on the wall.
COD will be on Sony until 2024. After that nobody knows.

MonarchJT

Banned
These aren't even hot takes anymore. Not even luke warm.

Microsoft confirmed they were planning on publishing the game on PlayStation still. Seriously what the hell is wrong with everyone?
there's a thread about it from a tweet of jason Reiner....2023 will be last cod ..like everyone with a brain was saying

We know nothing of these games, how can we already make assumptions like these when Sony doesn't have a good record with MP games?

Sony has a lot to prove in the MP department.

EDMIX

michael jordan laughing GIF

That doesn’t guarantee anything. I really enjoyed the mp in kill zone 2. Like I really fucking enjoyed it. But it was just a blip on the shooter radar and these future games could well be too
lol ikr

Sony has literally moved records units of home consoles, only console maker in history to move more then 85 million...EVERY CONSOLE, yet those MP games still flopped. So I don't really get this narrative that having a deep install base matters, Sony has always had a pretty massive install base. That doesn't always equal having everyone 100% like an IP.

PS indeed has a large install base, but they've always had a large install base, for fuck sakes the lowest install base by PS is something wild like 87 million, so I never get this whole thing were its like "I love killzone THUS dat install base funa like it too doe" its like....maybe lol

I understand you, but playstation fans would be willing to carry these games, as long as they are exclusives.

yea.....soooo this needs to stop. I love some of those IP too, but maybe people need to be more grounded and realistic.

Resistance? MAG? Socom? Killzone? How did those IP fair even with that massive install base? Did those games get carried too cause they are exclusive? If anything, look at the PS MP games right now on PS4, how many of them are really doing monster numbers outside of heavy hitters like GT?

So with all do respect, PS fans are willing to support GOOD GAMES, being exclusive, doesn't mean the PS community will buy a game, support a game or carry a game and the large install base is only part of that equation.

EDMIX

Put it like this, I agree with you both.

You and I have a ton of games that we agree on that we like as our taste in single player games is similar. I don't disagree with where you are coming from, but PS has such a massive install base not solely based on its single player which it does fucking awesome btw, but because someone who like Fifa, Madden, COD, Battlefield, Fortnite, PubG, Back 4 Blood etc. It has the massive install base as it might be one of the heathiest install base in gaming. You have small indies, you have massive AAA Single player, but you have massive AAA MP, you have lots of JRPG etc something for everyone.

What clarky clarky is trying to say with lighting in a bottle is that some, if not most MP titles are deeply gameplay focused to the point where the feel and movement of some titles become so legendary even without that series, you don't see a successor, as in even with some of the biggest MP series, they are struggling to even get the sales, of a title...IN THAT SERIES, that is how hard that concept is. We are never going to get some Golden Eye, Halo 2, Smash Bros Melee feels type thing unless its like a Sonic Mania type thing, even with stuff like Halo MCC, when its gone...its gone, even just doing a remaster and remake doesn't mean that past install base will return.

This shows just how hard that concept is if even a fucking remaster can't meet those massive sales, look at COD4 remaster, exact game, better looking, less sales then current COD.

So Battlefield at my age is the only series I actually play for MP titles, I'm done with 99% of that genre lol I mainly play SP titles and just like you, God Of War, Horizon 2, all of that is reason enough for me and anything else is secondary, but that simply isn't enough in terms of the bigger picture.

They indeed will need to fill that gap as they did rely on COD deeply as why put in a marketing deal? Why move your own games away from those releases to give them room to sell more? I'd argue Sony paid for that deal, instead of Killzone or Resistance or something as COD just moves more units and gets better results for their money. Clearly it means something to Sony as a business to do this.

So Clark is correct, this isn't easy and Sony has struggled a lot in the past with this concept and hopefully that new game being made by ex COD developers is able to fill that void and level things out for them genre wise. I don't play much new MP titles in terms of new series, but I'd be willing to try that out.

clarky

Gold Member

This is exactly what has already been said. MW2 warzone 2 if it exists and cold war next.

Upto 2023. Also that presents a timing problem for MS you wouldnt want to go exclusive on the next vangard lol. if i was them id skip a year and put those resources into MW3 2025. Thats a long way off.

Gives sony some breathing room for a contender to emerge thats for sure

MonarchJT

Banned
This is exactly what has already been said. MW2 warzone 2 if it exists and cold war next.

Upto 2023. Also that presents a timing problem for MS you wouldnt want to go exclusive on the next vangard lol. if i was them id skip a year and put those resources into MW3 2025. Thats a long way off.

Gives sony some breathing room for a contender to emerge thats for sure
then they will release an mid gen refresh with cod exclusive and boom 💥

Tschumi

Put it like this, I agree with you both.

You and I have a ton of games that we agree on that we like as our taste in single player games is similar. I don't disagree with where you are coming from, but PS has such a massive install base not solely based on its single player which it does fucking awesome btw, but because someone who like Fifa, Madden, COD, Battlefield, Fortnite, PubG, Back 4 Blood etc. It has the massive install base as it might be one of the heathiest install base in gaming. You have small indies, you have massive AAA Single player, but you have massive AAA MP, you have lots of JRPG etc something for everyone.

What clarky clarky is trying to say with lighting in a bottle is that some, if not most MP titles are deeply gameplay focused to the point where the feel and movement of some titles become so legendary even without that series, you don't see a successor, as in even with some of the biggest MP series, they are struggling to even get the sales, of a title...IN THAT SERIES, that is how hard that concept is. We are never going to get some Golden Eye, Halo 2, Smash Bros Melee feels type thing unless its like a Sonic Mania type thing, even with stuff like Halo MCC, when its gone...its gone, even just doing a remaster and remake doesn't mean that past install base will return.

This shows just how hard that concept is if even a fucking remaster can't meet those massive sales, look at COD4 remaster, exact game, better looking, less sales then current COD.

So Battlefield at my age is the only series I actually play for MP titles, I'm done with 99% of that genre lol I mainly play SP titles and just like you, God Of War, Horizon 2, all of that is reason enough for me and anything else is secondary, but that simply isn't enough in terms of the bigger picture.

They indeed will need to fill that gap as they did rely on COD deeply as why put in a marketing deal? Why move your own games away from those releases to give them room to sell more? I'd argue Sony paid for that deal, instead of Killzone or Resistance or something as COD just moves more units and gets better results for their money. Clearly it means something to Sony as a business to do this.

So Clark is correct, this isn't easy and Sony has struggled a lot in the past with this concept and hopefully that new game being made by ex COD developers is able to fill that void and level things out for them genre wise. I don't play much new MP titles in terms of new series, but I'd be willing to try that out.
I value a thoughtful take, well delivered, as an educational and much appreciated one.

What i understand from this is that COD is indeed a mainstay of PS MP userbase. An "impulse buy" title, as DF put it.

I like the sound of a game developed by former COD developers. It'll be hard to have a point of difference, but I didn't hold that against them. I remember the very first COD, the multiplayer level set in Stalingrad... I've barely played a single level since (world at war always too expensive, everything else not my style, most of my mp fps has been CS and BF)

I have made it clear I just came to this thread to say that I don't need MP developments to love my PS, that's still the case, but I can't deny the whole galaxy of MP intrigue has been interesting to peak in on.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
As of right now, the multiplayer titles that might have the most upside are TLOU Fractions and Gran Turismo 7.

Fractions on TLOU still has a community playing, and it's a game that's requested by a lot of fans, even the ones who didn't like TLOU 2.

It still remains to be seen if GTA 7 can be that huge seller that it was before.

Outside of that, there are promising devs working on other multiplayer titles, but it still remains to be seen if they will capture the casual audience that it needs to be successful. Thankfully, for at least two titles, they have recognization with the Killzone and Twisted Metal franchise.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think that's way over optimistic OP
  • No one can doubt how polished and technically amazing anything Naughty Dog does will be, but the first multiplayer had a small, loyal base of players. Now there are plenty of question marks around if it's going to be f2p, bundled, mtx driven etc. If it's f2p it might have a chance to draw people in but you have to look at precedent as well. Assuming it releases only on PS5, then compare it to Pro Clubs on Fifa 22 - that title is crazy popular and still had only a fraction of the PS4 users on, which made matchmaking painful even at peak EU times;
  • Firewalk/Firesprite/Guerilla - This is basically 'shooter', the category. We've seen a lot come and go the past year (Aliens Fireteam, Back4Blood) and we've also seen some f2p titles fail or be received poorly (xDefiant, Hyperscape). There's doubt whether Rainbow Six Extraction will still be played in anger within three months. Then you have the big launches which stumble down the ratings as well (Outriders etc.)
Out of everything, TLOU Factions has the best chance of breaking out in my opinion, but it's far from a given as a 'blockbuster'. The overlap of people playing TLOU and other cinematic games and wanting a multiplayer battle royale will not be significant I feel. Even Uncharted MP at its peak was not in that top tier of multiplayer titles played. If it has a co-op mode, something like a State of Decay mode (but more polished and properly supported), then that might be a big selling point.

Gran Turismo is the best multiplayer IP they have at the moment, and the precedent they are signing off on are new games like Destruction: All Stars. And that's not even mentioning the third party, cross play competition they are going to face from other live service games.

Sony don't need to chase this multiplayer crap, their strength is excellent quality singler player exclusives. Marvel multiplayer games? Nah. The Division is hugely popular so a proper reboot and updating of Socom could work especially given the community is stale around D2 and there;s no D3 news on the horizon.

Ceadeus

The problem is that Sony can't maintain any multiplayer server running more than a couple of years or less.

skit_data

They have quite a few MP games on development that may have the potential to at least partially fill the void from CoD, personally I’m looking forward to Factions 2.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Sony didn’t really hit their 1st party dev stride until the late ps3 generation and since then they haven’t really put a lot of multiplayer titles out, especially not any with a significant budget.

I think Sony in 2022 is an entirely different beast than the mid 2000’s
Sony's bread and butter and key differentiator are SP epic setpiece games, not MP titles. You are arguing a company that cultivates a certain culture for many years can suddenly do a 180. It's the same in tech - except few examples Apple engineers do not work at Microsoft, and vice versa. The culture is too different and both companies excel at different things.

Look at what happened to Playstation BR, it never had a fraction of the staying power that Smash had.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Don't expect Sony to go all in on multiplayer which IMO would be a big miss step. Think about it, a proper multiplayer game usually has a single player campaign tacked on (yes there are exceptions), the game is primarily built around multiplayer first and foremost. Sony are very good at the types of games that they do which on the whole are not primarily known for multiplayer and they sometimes add a multiplayer mode onto them. Multiplayer games are not something that you can just develop when you have not had much experience as a studio in that area, they are difficult. Its not as easy as just bringing on a few new multiplayer focussed people to the team, the whole game from the very bottom to the top has to be built as a multiplayer. If Sony move all their eggs into the multiplayer basket then they could end up in that shaky middle ground where their first attempts fall well short of the other offerings in the years they release as well as not providing those unique types of games that everyone expects. To find success Sony must carry on developing those single player games while also steadily pivoting to multiplayer.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Firesprite seems like was cooking something for Star Citizen:

games-tow1-optimisedjpg.jpg

games-tow2-optimisedjpg.jpg

And has a corridor, Dead-Space-knock-off game. But this Star Citizen thing looks more like Killzone.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
If they do it properly

Sony has a history of making MP games for boomers

Factions BR would set the world on fire tho

Interested in that GG games since they have a well seasoned director

Would you class Socom and Killzone boomer shooters if they come back with them with a big multiplayer push ? Thats what I want from Sony.

Top Bottom