• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Davey Cakes

I'm up to Mirage Saloon. I got through Act 1 but then had to quit.

My favorite zone so far is probably Press Garden. All of it. Utterly beautiful. I love the aesthetics, the design, and the soundtrack. One of the most refreshing stages I've played in a Sonic game in recent memory.

I'm up to Mirage Saloon. I got through Act 1 but then had to quit.

My favorite zone so far is probably Press Garden. All of it. Utterly beautiful. I love the aesthetics, the design, and the soundtrack. One of the most refreshing stages I've played in a Sonic game in recent memory.

I wasn't a great fan of Press Garden. Only completed once mind you, trying to get the emeralds by spamming Greenhill Zone

nkarafo

Well, seems i'm too old for this game. Can't handle the blue ball bonus stages. I managed to beat 3 of them after many tries but that's it :(

MrBadger

I wasn't a great fan of Press Garden. Only completed once mind you, trying to get the emeralds by spamming Greenhill Zone

Act 1 had to grow on me on replays. The gimmicks seemed hectic and frustrating at first. Act 2's one of my favourite stages in the game though. Really liked the ice gimmick and the general aesthetics.

Mit-

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Blue Sphere Extra/unlockable mode?

It has "original" and "Mania" settings. I figured Original was the same as the weird game you got when you plugged another game into Sonic & Knuckles. It had like 13 million generated stages. However I played it, got a perfect, and then it was over. No level counter, no advancement ten stages forward.

Then I played Mania mode. It has weird spheres that have to be passed over 2 or 3 times to turn red, and weird warp spheres as well. I don't think I beat the first level with it, but I wonder if it just ends after playing one level as well.

I dunno, it seems weird that they put it in the game, put unique levels/features to it, but haven't offered any explanation as to what it is, what they changed, why, etc etc.

Berordn

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Blue Sphere Extra/unlockable mode?

It has "original" and "Mania" settings. I figured Original was the same as the weird game you got when you plugged another game into Sonic & Knuckles. It had like 13 million generated stages. However I played it, got a perfect, and then it was over. No level counter, no advancement ten stages forward.

Then I played Mania mode. It has weird spheres that have to be passed over 2 or 3 times to turn red, and weird warp spheres as well. I don't think I beat the first level with it, but I wonder if it just ends after playing one level as well.

I dunno, it seems weird that they put it in the game, put unique levels/features to it, but haven't offered any explanation as to what it is, what they changed, why, etc etc.

They randomly generate stages like before, but there's no progression. Just there for kicks. Original mode features standard stages like you'd find normally in 3&K, Mania mode features two new types of spheres.

shaneo632

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how does the game handle Game Overs? Do you just start the stage again with a few lives?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how does the game handle Game Overs? Do you just start the stage again with a few lives?

You restart the zone you were in (If you were in act 2 you get sent back to act 1) with 3 lives.

After finishing this game with a sonic and Tails run, It's so much fun. Might have to do a Knuckles
and Knuckles
run (although I have to replay the game again on my PC as i beat the game using my brother's switch).

BckBWsX.jpg

Just beat my Solo-Sonic file to bring me to four complete save files, each character with all emeralds :) Pretty pleased with this, as even as a kid in the 90s I never managed to do this on Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Damn those blue spheres.

SoulUnison

Banned
I feel like Stardust Speedway 2 commits one of the worst sins of boss battle design.
It's an extremely "simple" battle, but the stars have to align for you to actually have a chance at hitting it, turning something that should be a 20 second segue into a minutes-long frustration fest where you just want it to be over, dammit, but the oppurtunity never presents itself.
Sometimes you get stuck in a loop of the Mini-Silver-Sonic simply never deciding to use a Spin Dash, and then when he finally does, he'll jump over you, or you'll miss the one chance you had in a long time because of one of Metal's potshots.

There might be some obscure trick to it, but on the surface this one section is just flat-out bad.

Actually, a lot of the mini-bosses and bosses seem to fall far on the extremes of the "you can kill them before they get an attack off" or "you have to sit around waiting through a braindead pattern for the one moment they're vulnerable" spectrum.

I feel like Stardust Speedway 2 commits one of the worst sins of boss battle design.
It's an extremely "simple" battle, but the stars have to align for you to actually have a chance at hitting it, turning something that should be a 20 second segue into a minutes-long frustration fest where you just want it to be over, dammit, but the oppurtunity never presents itself.
Sometimes you get stuck in a loop of the Mini-Silver-Sonic simply never deciding to use a Spin Dash, and then when he finally does, he'll jump over you, or you'll miss the one chance you had in a long time because of one of Metal's potshots.

There might be some obscure trick to it, but on the surface this one section is just flat-out bad.

Actually, a lot of the mini-bosses and bosses seem to fall far on the extremes of the "you can kill them before they get an attack off" or "you have to sit around waiting through a braindead pattern for the one moment they're vulnerable" spectrum.
There's a few sweet spots you can stand to mostly force silver sonic to spindash as he spawns, you can also spin into him while he is revving up to make him bounce, honestly you can crush metal sonic in a matter of 20-30 seconds once you get the feeling of the battle down.

SoulUnison

Banned
There's a few sweet spots you can stand to mostly force silver sonic to spindash as he spawns, you can also spin into him while he is revving up to make him bounce, honestly you can crush metal sonic in a matter of 20-30 seconds once you get the feeling of the battle down.

I think it's the ability to spin dash into him while he's revving that was the puzzle piece I was missing, but he still sometimes will decide to do his standing dash over and over instead of his spin dash even once.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just beat my Solo-Sonic file to bring me to four complete save files, each character with all emeralds :) Pretty pleased with this, as even as a kid in the 90s I never managed to do this on Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Damn those blue spheres.

How many hours do you have in the game now?

AHA-Lambda

AAGGHH!!! The final boss is pissing me off royally >_<

I'm simply sick of repeatedly wearing him down to the last tentacle on him, and then dying, and needing to repeat an entire near 15 min level.

Is there any way to avoid the hands? Or more easily avoid the spiked ball enemy?

AAGGHH!!! The final boss is pissing me off royally >_<

I'm simply sick of repeatedly wearing him down to the last tentacle on him, and then dying, and needing to repeat an entire near 15 min level.

Is there any way to avoid the hands? Or more easily avoid the spiked ball enemy?

If the hands send you to the room with the rings, save some of them for if you get sent there again. For the room with the two half pipes with a platform in the middle, with the spinning blade guy, just stay on the middle platform and avoid the blade attack. The room with the 3 cups was just down to luck for me.

Uh what it's literally an alternating pattern

Spin dash always follows standing peel out. If the bullets from Metal are giving you trouble, try drop dashing instead of spin dashing.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is it just me or is Knuckles faster in this game than he's ever been? When he's running at full speed his legs are really moving! Plus I just finished the hydro zone and he was running on water like Sonic. Could he do that back in Sonic 3?

Sciz

Is it just me or is Knuckles faster in this game than he's ever been? When he's running at full speed his legs are really moving! Plus I just finished the hydro zone and he was running on water like Sonic. Could he do that back in Sonic 3?

All three characters move at the same speed, just as they did back in 3.

Atrarock

Everyone could run on water in Sonic 3. Knuckles is always slower (just barely), but not so slow that he can't clear everything like Sonic can that requires a bit of speed.

dlauv

Everyone could run on water in Sonic 3. Knuckles is always slower (just barely), but not so slow that he can't clear everything like Sonic can that requires a bit of speed.

They all have the same speed values in all of the Classic 2D games, including Mania, lol. It's a common mistake.

Ash735

Does anyone know if SEGA Europe have a Denuvo deal like other publishers do where if the game gets cracked fast enough they get refunded on it (and some even patch it out)?

Been having a blast with debug mode today. I made it to the final boss battle and inserted a sign post, which killed Sonic after passing it.

Put a checkpoint, went inside for blue spheres, and came back out. The screen was completely black. Added another sign post and got booted back to the title screen.

Funny stuff.

Celcius

°Temp. member
On my first playthrough I was really having a tough time with the UFO stages but now I'm clearing them with ease on my second playthrough.

thefro

I'm completely stuck on flying battery zone. Is there a simple code for infinite lives or level select or something?

Yeah, the difficulty spike there is pretty ridiculous for someone who hasn't beaten any of the other 2D Sonics (sans save states) since I was a Nintendo kid. Lots of bottomless pits or places to get instantly squashed.

I think I finally figured out the running upside physics, so I made it to the end boss of the second act.

Metal and Amy

hmm...

Metal makes sense, but also features heavily in a level. Somebody also floated Mighty, which isn't really referenced in the game (unless the Armadillo badnik in Mirage Saloon being recolored red is just that), has appeared in prominent fan games and hacks, can be reworked from Sonic's sprites, and mechanically is just Sonic with a wallkick.

The thing that bums me out is that
Super Sonic can't fly in levels, which would be a terrific addition.
There's a mod that enables it, and it seems to work pretty well. Maybe after they clean out a few more collision bugs they can work it in.

Zubz

Banned
Considering how sure I was there'd be a fourth character, seeing extra signpost slots labeled "M" and "A" at least keeps the hope alive.

Unless that's just another carryover from the original fan game roots.

I really hope this game gets DLC for this reason.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished my 2nd playthrough as knuckles. I like how there are different stage layouts and bosses. Does finishing the game with all the chaos emeralds do anything for knuckles or is it only Sonic?

Stoze

So I ended up giving this game a shot despite not actually liking Sonic 1 and 2 much (haven't played 3&K), and to my surprise I ended up really enjoying it. Although the significantly stronger boss design and level design definitely helped, I think what actually made it click for me is the game being 16:9 and the drop dash. It feels like I can actually breathe and understand what the level design is going for while having fun mastering the movement.

And props to the music and pixel art convincing me to try again in the first place, god damn is this game a true audiovisual pleasure.

nkarafo

Can someone share a completed save file with everything unlocked? Since i will never be able to do it myself (hate those sphere stages) this is the only way for me to enjoy any extra content.

Atrarock

They all have the same speed values in all of the Classic 2D games, including Mania, lol. It's a common mistake.
Maybe I'm just thinking of the Super Forms. Super Sonic always feels like he can make it up a wall from a short distance. Never felt like Knuckles could.

Top Bottom