• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Superstars Announced, coming Fall 2023 | Summer Game Fest

YCoCg

(Jun Senoue and Tee Lopes at the music)
That's like getting a perfectly cooked steak (Lopes) with a side order of actual human shit (Senoue), hopefully Lopes has some influence on Senoue here because Senoue just seems to think "classic" means sounding like a terrible MIDI track with bad synths.

Saber

Gold Member

Still not really convinced based on the gameplay video.
But since its Whitehead saying and I have high respects for him , I'm willing to believe him. I wonder if he have participation in this game.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Lets see how this end.
I was just talking about the physix, indeed. My main concern is uninspired level design...

But i think the game will be decent or good. (load of alternate paths, verticality, tee lopes, several characters for the replay value)

mcjmetroid

Yaaaaaaa.... this ain't it.

Camera is WAYYY too zoomed in.
The music although trying to be like classic sonic is too repetitive and annoying.
Level design isn't there.

No ....this isn't the second coming of Sonic Mania 2 and at full price? They're in for a rough ride here.

Fake

The music although trying to be like classic sonic is too repetitive and annoying.

No ....this isn't the second coming of Sonic Mania 2 and at full price? They're in for a rough ride here.

Thats my point overall. Replicate the old physics its just only one step... people think like 'the physics is just like older games' and homework is done.
There are still the level design, OST, zones art direction, gameplay design choises... things that modern Mario games are totally in another dimension.

mcjmetroid

Thats my point overall. Replicate the old physics its just only one step... people think like 'the physics is just like older games' and homework is done.
There are still the level design, OST, zones art direction, gameplay design choises... things that modern Mario games are totally in another dimension.
It just feels like they're ticking the boxes on what they think a Sonic game should be on what the fans would like.

Sonic, Amy, Tails and Knuckles? Check
Classic Sonic Physics? Check
16-bit sounding music? Check

But everything I see here is less than Sonic Mania and Sonic Mania was a budget title.

The sad thing is Sonic Mania was excellent but it still wasn't completely perfect. For me to honestly say it's the best Sonic game ever it would need to deliver all new zones on par with the classics and get it's own identity, perhaps introduce new characters and a new story. The sonic mania creators made an excellent template and should have been allowed to go all out in a sequel.

This ain't it anyway. A total shame.

and the graphics suck sorry.

Ristifer

I don’t know. I’m reserving my judgment on the level design until I see more. The other zone they’ve been showing has looked a lot different, and there are clearly several paths to explore through both zones. Even in Classic Sonic games, there’s a straightforward path that you can take, with little obstacles along the way. It’s all about how you explore the zones. Or the design could just blow. I have no idea.

I heard complaints about the level design when Mania came out, too. The levels were too complex and long for people. There needs to be a sweet spot for some. Sonic fans are fickle anyway. Finding that sweet spot is going to be damn near impossible. But I’ll give them a chance on this one.

Definitely gonna live or die by its level design. I think the rest looks good right now.

Fat Frog

I agree for the level design but your comment about the music is not relevant. It's a placeholder from Sonic 4 OST... not a real music from Sonic Superstars. The true Superstars music has in fact Tee Lopes's vibes because he joined the project...

As for the graphics, Oshima directly took inspiration from his early artworks which means it's extremely close to the Sonic of the origins.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

The music is from Sonic 4 and is confirmed to be a placeholder. The camera will more than likely zoom out if you have more players on screen because it's a 4-player co-op game. The level design must also accommodate 4 players. New Super Mario Bros. Wii also made some level design sacrifices for its co-op.

It just feels like they're ticking the boxes on what they think a Sonic game should be on what the fans would like.

But everything I see here is less than Sonic Mania and Sonic Mania was a budget title.

The sad thing is Sonic Mania was excellent but it still wasn't completely perfect. For me to honestly say it's the best Sonic game ever it would need to deliver all new zones on par with the classics and get it's own identity, perhaps introduce new characters and a new story. The sonic mania creators made an excellent template and should have been allowed to go all out in a sequel.

Mania is pixelart, this is completely 3D and looks like an average budget Nintendo game which isn't that bad, atleast it's not Sonic 4. It also does everything you mentioned, new zones, it's identity, a new character and story... What do you want?

Fat Frog

I don't think so or you didn't play Whitehead's classic Sonic CD in widescreen (amazing version and i don't remember many complains about the zoom in:
rUQ9ixB.jpg
B5g4sMK.jpg
MRsD6gc.jpg

Superstars is almost zoomed in like Whitehead's versions... and as you can see, there are already zoomed out situations (and as someone said, it's probably locked for 4 players mode).

Even if it was "waaaaay" too zoomed in, i don't think it would be a deal breaker: Virtua Racing wouldn't be mediocre if it had only 2 views available...

Last edited:

LRKD

I really wish this went for an aesthetic closer to Sonic Advance, those games looked really good on the gba, and the sprites were great. 'Classic' 3D sonic has always looked so bad, and somehow even some of the environments look really bland and plastic-y.
KwfgyJe.jpg
5titeun.jpg

Or maybe even the DS sonic titles, just literally anything else. Hopefully it's at least fun to play still, but I have like no faith in Sonic games anymore.

zNqWLep.jpg
SYnq4Hc.png

Astral Dog

This is what i believe the Advance and Rush series tried to do, it was like classic Sonic but with a 'modern' spin, not just trying to slavishly replicare the Genesis games

They had flaws but were pretty cool games

This new one doesn't look groundbreaking but it could be pretty good ,we need more impressions and the actual game out

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I don't think so or you didn't play Whitehead's classic Sonic CD in widescreen (amazing version and i don't remember many complains about the zoom in:
rUQ9ixB.jpg
B5g4sMK.jpg
MRsD6gc.jpg

Superstars is almost zoomed in like Whitehead's versions... and as you can see, there are already zoomed out situations (and as someone said, it's probably locked for 4 players mode).

Even if it was "waaaaay" too zoomed in, i don't think it would be a deal breaker: Virtua Racing wouldn't be mediocre if it had only 2 views available...

Agreed. As someone who tends to play the OG versions and their "squished" screens, I never had an issue. I doubt I will have an issue here either. This game looks like a lot of fun and a proper return to 2D in a new format that isn't ruined by mobile design and episodic structure.

Fat Frog

Agreed. As someone who tends to play the OG versions and their "squished" screens, I never had an issue. I doubt I will have an issue here either. This game looks like a lot of fun and a proper return to 2D in a new format that isn't ruined by mobile design and episodic structure.
Plus, it's proven there are already zoomed out situations (boss screen)

Top Bottom