• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Superstars Announced, coming Fall 2023 | Summer Game Fest

stickkidsam

Would've liked to see a 2D animated art style akin to the CD movie or those Sonic Mania shorts, but this still looks nice.

That multiplayer is looking fun though! I wonder how much of the gameplay is designed with that in mind...

Edder1

They could way more with the graphics, in parts things look way too static and unimaginative. I'm in for 2.5D Sonic, but it needs better art style. I'll keep my expectations in check for now, it's Sonic Team after all, the biggest enemies of Sonic.

Last edited:

Ristifer

I’m into it. Hope the zones have a bit more life to them and the physics are done well. Don’t give me this slow Sonic running bullshit, otherwise it’s Sonic 4 all over again.

BlackTron

Yeah... will grab it in a year or two for $20.

If they actually did a good job and made a great game I would pay $100 but I suspect it will have serious flaws that make it another disappointment with just enough redeeming value to play anyway for cheap.

Right now, the physics look especially stilted, with Sonic sliding great distances with zero sense of momentum.

This might just be the trailer, but the camera needs to zoom out. Gotta go fast doesn't work when you can't see what's coming - they already made this mistake in trash like Sonic 4.

PanzerCute

Came here to say this.

The art style isn't THAT bad but the plasticky effects and seemingly bad physics aren't doing it any favors.
Bad physics? The trailer was clearly designed to show that they replicated Megadrive Sonic games physics 1 to 1 imo.

Can't be sure until we get to play the game, but I think it was pretty clear and the whole point of the first sequence in the trailer.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Bad physics? The trailer was clearly designed to show that they replicated Megadrive Sonic games physics 1 to 1 imo.

Can't be sure until we get to play the game, but I think it was pretty clear and the whole point of the first sequence in the trailer.

If they designed the trailer to show 1:1 physics, bad job. When Sonic was doing loop-de-loops on Genesis, the physics were the same as on flat ground, not pre-scripted actions like Sonic Adventure. Where once you trigger the script, Sonic starts moving at the predetermined speed no matter what your momentum was. Which is half of this trailer. Sonic should slow a little going into a loop and gain speed as he careens out of it...not happening here

Ristifer

Yeah, I think this game is rumoured to be running on the Retro engine, isn’t it? Either way, I hope they understand that they can’t fuck up the physics for the eightieth time.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No Shadow or Blaze bums me out a little. But I understand with this and Frontier they just wanna focus on the og characters for now. I’m cautiously optimistic. The physics will determine how good this is.

edit: oh I see every1 is already talkin about the physics. We still got Sonic 4 ptsd.

Last edited:

Unknown?

If they designed the trailer to show 1:1 physics, bad job. When Sonic was doing loop-de-loops on Genesis, the physics were the same as on flat ground, not pre-scripted actions like Sonic Adventure. Where once you trigger the script, Sonic starts moving at the predetermined speed no matter what your momentum was. Which is half of this trailer. Sonic should slow a little going into a loop and gain speed as he careens out of it...not happening here
I don't think that was ever the case? He always went full speed through loops if you were going maximum speed.

YCoCg

BlackTron

Well, the good thing is that shows old physics are in the game, unlike Generations.

But if you watch the entire trailer again and not just one tiny snippet of loop-de-loops, you'll see that it's still full of Sonic Adventure style "the game takes over" parts. At least it appears that way but I hope I am wrong.

This game looks amazing. I understand it is only a trailer and we have to see more. Yet, as a fan of the first two games and Sonic CD. This looks wonderful!

It doesn’t appear for the hardcore Sonic fan. It appears to be for kids and families. This is the exact way Sonic 2D should be.

Gives me New Super Mario Bros Wii vibes!

Need to see more. If they can truly deliver a GREAT 2D Sonic game, I think this will be one of the surprise sellers of the Holiday season!

Last edited:

Unknown?

This game looks amazing. I understand it is only a trailer and we have to see more. Yet, as a fan of the first two games and Sonic CD. This looks wonderful!

It doesn’t appear for the hardcore Sonic fan. It appears to be for kids and families. This is the exact way Sonic 2D should be.

Gives me New Super Mario Bros Wii vibes!

Need to see more. If they can truly deliver a GREAT 2D Sonic game, I think this will be one of the surprise sellers of the Holiday season!
I'm still curious who the developers are. Dimps doesn't exist anymore, right? Sonic Team hasn't done a fully 2D game since S&K. Advance, Rush, etc were all outsourced.

Last edited:
I'm still curious who the developers are. Dimps doesn't exist anymore, right? Sonic Team hasn't done a fully 2D game since S&K. Advance, Rush, etc were all outsourced.
It was rumored to be apart of the Sonic team. We will have to see. There is still that rumor that Sonic Adventures Remake is coming as well.

——————————————————

This might just be a coincidence. The Disney Mickey Mouse game is also 4 Player.

I wonder if Sega & Disney secretly know something about the rumored 2D Mario game. Will that new Mario game also be 4 players?

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Yeah you might be right, I have to watch the trailer again. I remain (cautiously) optimistic tho, I really liked what I saw.

Holammer

There's a strange little drama happening because of the Superstars chara design.
Turns out they are identical to Rafa Knight's designs. A Brazilian 3D artist that's been doing cover work for Sonic comics since the late Archie run. By the looks of it, she haven't been informed or given credit.

GustavoLT

wise sonic choice:

R.03befb9e12e2cf97865d439e8417503a

jcorb

Even though I do sort of prefer "Modern" Sonic visually, I'm glad to see they're picking a design and sticking to it. Definitely looks to be something up my alley, and I like that it seems to be just a bit slower pace, more like an actual platformer.

I'll say, there's still "something" sort of missing from the visuals I feel like. Knuckles looks shockingly good in his running animations, but the stages themselves seem a bit plain? I dunno. Studiopolis Zone really set a new high-water mark, I think Sega has struggled coming up with new stages that feel as memorable as Green Hill Zone.

X-Wing

There's a strange little drama happening because of the Superstars chara design.
Turns out they are identical to Rafa Knight's designs. A Brazilian 3D artist that's been doing cover work for Sonic comics since the late Archie run. By the looks of it, she haven't been informed or given credit.

She should complain the the people making the Cable Guys figures too...
sonic_amy_rose_cableguy_2.jpg

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Arzest logo spotted.
Sonic Team + Oshima's studio partnership.

A 2023 Sonic game by Naoto Oshima is wild.

Saber

Gold Member
Just saw the gameplay from IGN Japan I think, and yeah its garbage.

Soundtrack is Sonic 4 levels of terrible(probably the same composer), the level design is hideous(the guy playing keep entering underground tunnel rails over and over) and the physics is clearly from to Sonic from Generations/Forces rather than closer to the classics.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

garbage.
Soundtrack is Sonic 4 levels of terrible(probably the same composer)
Wrong. It's litteraly...a track from Sonic 4...a placeholder.

You should also give a closer look to the physics:

(I doubt Whitehead would praise a garbage physix)

Last edited:

Ristifer

The IGN Japan gameplay looks interesting, even if it’s a bit too on-the-rails for what I want. One of the YouTube comments says that Tee Lopes has hinted he’s working on the OST, which is an instant boner for me.

Fat Frog

Saber Saber
"Save for Sonic Mania, each successive 2D Sonic console experience has felt off. Whether you’re talking Sonic 4’s broken physics and momentum mechanics or the floaty and imprecise nature of the 2D sequences in 3D games like Sonic Forces, the 2D gameplay has left much to be desired in most games in the modern version of the franchise."

😜
Sonic Superstars veers closer to the Mania end of the spectrum, giving off a feel of picking up momentum that is

loyal to the classic 2D entries in the series.
I really enjoyed my time with Sonic Superstars. My initial assessment upon seeing the gameplay featured in yesterday's trailer was that it would basically give us Sega's version of Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. series,

but Sonic Superstars not only feels good, it feels bold and novel in a way the New Super Mario Bros. series doesn't anymore,

all while feeling like a strong continuation of the original 2D Sonic games.

I can't wait to experience more of this modern 2D adventure when Sonic Superstars arrives this fall.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Wrong. It's litteraly...a track from Sonic 4...a placeholder.

Nowhere I though it was supposed to be a placeholder though lol
Also, its not like I remember Sonic 4 entire soundtrack(its being more than decades since I've played), so let me know about all those placeholders.

You should also give a closer look to the physics:

(I doubt Whitehead would praise a garbage physix)

A 10 minute video is better than a 10 seconds clip and I didn't notice similarities with the classics physics. But if Whitehead did say that I'm willing to believe him.

Last edited:

Ristifer

I would bet they’re working on implementing the Retro Engine as faithfully as possible, especially if Taxman is hinting at it. Whether or not Sonic Team shits themselves is a whole other story.

Fat Frog

I would bet they’re working on implementing the Retro Engine as faithfully as possible, especially if Taxman is hinting at it. Whether or not Sonic Team shits themselves is a whole other story.
It's probably a real Arzest/Sonic Team product. Oshima directed Sonic CD so i guess we'll have a similar game in terms of quality. (2D gameplay)

Ristifer

It's probably a real Arzest/Sonic Team product. Oshima directed Sonic CD so i guess we'll have a similar game in terms of quality. (2D gameplay)
I was thinking it felt that way in the gameplay video. Lots of tunnels, but not totally disorienting like CD could be with its level design. Hopefully, the zones have a nice variety.

Unknown?

Saber Saber
"Save for Sonic Mania, each successive 2D Sonic console experience has felt off. Whether you’re talking Sonic 4’s broken physics and momentum mechanics or the floaty and imprecise nature of the 2D sequences in 3D games like Sonic Forces, the 2D gameplay has left much to be desired in most games in the modern version of the franchise."

😜

Not to mention that's incorrect. Advance 1 is very much like the Genesis games.

Top Bottom