• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Superstars Announced, coming Fall 2023 | Summer Game Fest

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Naoto Ohshima shared the tweet about Sonic Superstars physics...
I think he is proud of Arzest's efforts in that regard 😌

Plus, Metal Sonic's creator seems involved as well.

😘

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

Calling back Naoto Ohshima for a Sonic game(Arzest confirmed) was a step in the right direction.
Good future incoming 😋

Oops, no it's gonna be terrible. This is seriously the worst Sonic level design I have seen.

Pay Yasukara all the money in the world to fix this.

gamer82

not played a sonic game ina long time but this looks like i may finally be ready to try, grpahics look cool. i think i prefer thr 2.5 d game to the 3d ones

Fake

Oops, no it's gonna be terrible. This is seriously the worst Sonic level design I have seen.

Looks bad IMO, but lets see if time make things better. I getting Sonic 4 vibes somehow with was a terrible game.

What I saw is they're reusing again and again Sonic Generations design.

Last edited:

Ristifer

Yeah, the level design is a concern. But I’m hoping that what’s been shown is just one pathway, and that the others are more interesting/challenging. I don’t know, but they better figure that out.

Saber

Gold Member
That music was in sonic 4 episode 2 lol.

Also the level design seems to be on par with that. Just hire someone frlm the community to make some decent maps, because sonic team clearly cant.

I honestly dunno if people were pretending or did not watched the video. Because when I pointed out this video from IGN and even complained about music I was told it was only placeholder. Ok but about the lameass simplistic visuals? What about the level design?
At this point I rather believe that since Frontiers people just lowered their standarts.

I honestly dunno if people were pretending or did not watched the video. Because when I pointed out this video from IGN and even complained about music I was told it was only placeholder. Ok but about the lameass simplistic visuals? What about the level design?
At this point I rather believe that since Frontiers people just lowered their standarts.

I mean it wouldn't be the first time a sonic game has a few recycled tracks, but to me it seems like the usual sonic team game.
Sonic 4 episode 2 wasn't as bad as episode 1, but clearly not on par with the genesis games and this seems it will be the same thing, except for the artstyle.
I hope to be wrong, but the issue is always the same. The lack of agency when it comes to letting the player build up speed. It's always the same thing: boost pad, boost pad, grinding or other gimmicks that get old quickly.

Saber

Gold Member
I mean it wouldn't be the first time a sonic game has a few recycled tracks, but to me it seems like the usual sonic team game.
Sonic 4 episode 2 wasn't as bad as episode 1, but clearly not on par with the genesis games and this seems it will be the same thing, except for the artstyle.
I hope to be wrong, but the issue is always the same. The lack of agency when it comes to letting the player build up speed. It's always the same thing: boost pad, boost pad, grinding or other gimmicks that get old quickly.

I don't mind recycled as well, but good lord those looks like recycled stuff from Generations. I'm more concerning about going on underground tunnels over and over...does people even noticed that? Boost pad spam is a clear a trademark of Sonic Team. They usually do this since they are not confident on how their physics work and needs pads to impulse Sonic to keep his speed momentum.

Last edited:

Ristifer

Boost pads are annoying as fuck, but I can live with them. Poor level design is a dealbreaker. If Sonic Mania 2 died for poor level design from Sonic Team, then they can go fuck themselves.

I’ll remain optimistic, but ST is on such a short leash for me. Glad people enjoyed Frontiers, but it showed just as much a misunderstanding of Sonic’s core gameplay mechanics as any other attempt in the past 20 years.

Last edited:

Ristifer

Yeah, I'm getting New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe vibes which is a bad thing.

Let us hope the Mania 2 whispers are real
They were real, until they decided to not work with Taxman again. Can’t believe we could’ve had a potential Mania 2/Sonic 5 with them, only for it to fall through. They better not shit the bed here.

Tarin02543

They were real, until they decided to not work with Taxman again. Can’t believe we could’ve had a potential Mania 2/Sonic 5 with them, only for it to fall through. They better not shit the bed here.

wth, Taxman is the best thing that happened to Sonic ever.

SF Kosmo

Yeah, the level design is a concern. But I’m hoping that what’s been shown is just one pathway, and that the others are more interesting/challenging. I don’t know, but they better figure that out.
The problem here isn't so much that it's linear it's that it's relying super heavily on forks in pipes and other choke points and allowing very little free movement or real platforming.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Yeah that's my understanding as well. It was in development at one point and is no longer.

Fat Frog

With Naoto Ohshima, i guess it will be a level design a la Sonic CD (the platformer he directed).

Don't expect Sonic 3 level but probably better than Dimps games. (Sonic 4)

(Jun Senoue and Tee Lopes at the music)

Last edited:

Unknown?

I don't mind recycled as well, but good lord those looks like recycled stuff from Generations. I'm more concerning about going on underground tunnels over and over...does people even noticed that? Boost pad spam is a clear a trademark of Sonic Team. They usually do this since they are not confident on how their physics work and needs pads to impulse Sonic to keep his speed momentum.
That's because the designer working on this also worked on Sonic CD. That was a Sonic CD trait, you ever play stardust speedway?

Ristifer

With Naoto Ohshima, i guess it will be a level design a la Sonic CD (the platformer he directed).

Don't expect Sonic 3 level but probably better than Dimps games. (Sonic 4)

(Jun Senoue and Tee Lopes at the music)

I’m going to be optimistic, but I’m still concerned. Tee Lopes is a gigantic win for the music, though. Jun can’t do classic music on his own.

That's because the designer working on this also worked on Sonic CD. That was a Sonic CD trait, you ever play stardust speedway?
Yeah I actually wanted to say it because It really reminded me of stardust speedway, which I think is only fondly remembered for the metal sonic race and not for its own merits as a zone.
I need to see more levels to make a proper judgement.

Ristifer

Judging level design just by the looks and not playing it, it's not very wise.
That’s fair, but it’s still okay to judge based on what’s seen. It does look like there are a lot of alternate pathways in the gameplay video. So, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the higher pathways are more platform-based. Would align with previous classic games.

Whitecrow

Banned
That’s fair, but it’s still okay to judge based on what’s seen. It does look like there are a lot of alternate pathways in the gameplay video. So, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the higher pathways are more platform-based. Would align with previous classic games.
Of course. It's okay.

But what I mean, is that I would not jump to conclusions just seeing others play.
Specially Sonic games, where physics, and how you use them to navigate the level is not something you can see when the player is speedrunning the level.

cireza

This is mediocre at best. Feels too much like Sonic 4 honestly. I think I actually prefer how Sonic 4 looked lol.

That music is insufferable, stage is way too long which makes everything super repetitive since there isn't much variety. Level-design is too much on rail.

Saber

Gold Member

Stardust Speedway(and Sonic CD) works on a different take.
There you can simply build up speed even without the pads, either by the help of Sonic speedbuild ability or proper loops/hills. And the main take of Stardust is changing sides so you can either go to a different route or focus on speed. Also must remind you that the level design was made that way in order to make use of timechange mechanic for Sonic, who needs to keep it's speed otherwise you lost your opportunity to go back in time. Tital Tempest is an example of the level design being made specifically to take make you go through time.

Here is just a case of mindless pad spamming so Sonic have a sense of speed, while going through the stage by itself. It's clearly a lack of proper level design.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Stardust Speedway(and Sonic CD) works on a different take.
There you can simply build up speed even without the pads. And the main take of the stage is changing sides so you can either go to a different route or focus on speed. Also must remind you that the level design was made that way in order to make use of timechange mechanic for Sonic, who needs to keep it's speed otherwise you lost your opportunity to go back in time. Tital Tempest is an example of the level design being made specifically to take make you go through time.

Here is just a case of mindless pad spamming so Sonic have a sense of speed, while going through the stage by itself. It's clearly a lack of proper level design.
I only saw pads on two places:

Before the long loop with also changes the depth (so you cant let Sonic just fall mid-loop), and before a circle vine, which doesnt do any harm either.

You can see how there is clearly a lack of fash pads in a lot of other places.

Saber

Gold Member
I only saw pads on two places:

Before the long loop with also changes the depth (so you cant let Sonic just fall mid-loop), and before a circle vine, which doesnt do any harm either.

You can see how there is clearly a lack of fash pads in a lot of other places.

Theres dashpads everytime you enter on these underground places. Also alot on any of those tube like paths(which I believe is supposed to mimic Stardust though Stardust lack dashpads on those paths).

Last edited:

Unknown?

Theres dashpads everytime you enter on these underground places. Also alot on any of those tube like paths(which I believe is supposed to mimic Stardust though Stardust lack dashpads on those paths).
That's just so you don't enter a tunnel too slowly and go backwards, making you spindash back in. It doesn't have anything to do with the physics.

Ristifer

This is mediocre at best. Feels too much like Sonic 4 honestly. I think I actually prefer how Sonic 4 looked lol.

That music is insufferable, stage is way too long which makes everything super repetitive since there isn't much variety. Level-design is too much on rail.
Honestly, I don’t see Sonic 4 in this at all. Sonic moves way better, there’s no homing attack (thank fuck), and there’s clear momentum. Aside from the placeholder music, nothing about this reminds me of 4. Still need to see more of the level design, but considering 4’s revolves around mobile mechanics and homing attacks, they’ll still be vastly different.

I think some need to be reminded of just how terrible 4 actually was.

WgtuTUp.jpg

Superstars:

oh4SJFL.jpg

One is an ugly piece of shit and the other is Superstars. Even if you don’t like how Superstars looks, it’s on a completely different planet from Sonic 4.

Saber

Gold Member
Well a game that's decades older should have quality of life improvements. My comment about it being like CD was the overall layout and design.

You came on me with silly CD comparison, asking if I played on Stardust. Which btw works differently since it propels Sonic to the direction he is running(not foward like other generic dashpads). You also mentioned that they both share the same designer, not sure for what. Also, might ask you what quality of life improvement is this that requires dashpads all over the level design?

Unknown?

You came on me with silly CD comparison, asking if I played on Stardust. Which btw works differently since it propels Sonic to the direction he is running(not foward like other generic dashpads). You also mentioned that they both share the same designer, not sure for what. Also, might ask you what quality of life improvement is this that requires dashpads all over the level design?
Exactly which explains the level design. The QOL improvement is that you don't go slowly through tubes or go backwards which sometimes could happen, now it never can. Also Sonic & Knuckles had boosters through certain loop de loops in Sandopolis Zone too. It has nothing to do with physics as you can see when he's just running.

cireza

Honestly, I don’t see Sonic 4 in this at all. Sonic moves way better, there’s no homing attack (thank fuck), and there’s clear momentum. Aside from the placeholder music, nothing about this reminds me of 4. Still need to see more of the level design, but considering 4’s revolves around mobile mechanics and homing attacks, they’ll still be vastly different.

I think some need to be reminded of just how terrible 4 actually was.

WgtuTUp.jpg

Superstars:

oh4SJFL.jpg

One is an ugly piece of shit and the other is Superstars. Even if you don’t like how Superstars looks, it’s on a completely different planet from Sonic 4.
I perfectly remember Sonic 4 and the 2D assets were high res ans looked good, despite the lack of variety.

The screenshots speak for themselves. One certainly isn't ugly as shit while the other good. They are pretty close in terms of look.

Last edited:

Ristifer

I perfectly remember Sonic 4 and the 2D assets were high res ans looked good, despite the lack of variety.

The screenshots speak for themselves. One certainly isn't ugly as shit while the other good. They are pretty close in terms of look.
Nah. They’re really not close at all in look. Superstars looks more similar to the Classic Sonic stages in Generations more than anything else. And both are way better looking than 4. 4 is one of the ugliest creations I’ve ever seen and should’ve stayed as a mobile game with a separate name.

cireza

Nah. They’re really not close at all in look. Superstars looks more similar to the Classic Sonic stages in Generations more than anything else. And both are way better looking than 4. 4 is one of the ugliest creations I’ve ever seen and should’ve stayed as a mobile game with a separate name.
Well, that's your opinion. I'd prefer 2D assets over 3D any day for something like Sonic.

I think it looks very promising, honestly. I DO NOT think this game is for longtime Sonic fans. This seems to be more for children. The 4 player Co-op is the lynch pin. If it can match the New Super Mario Bros Wii magic, I think Sega may have a bigger hit than people think.

Fat Frog

Sonic 4 physix theory is now out:

Glad to see they at least fixed that longtime pain in the ass.

Wait and see for the rest.

Fat Frog

Most previews are very positive.
The graphics are also the direct continuation of Naoto Oshima's artworks from the 90's(colors, style, there are several comparisons on that subject)

As for the jungle stage, a reviewer was asked about the "automated" feel but he didn't feel it since there are many paths, some are automated a la chemical plant tubs, some are tight platforming.Plus, it's obvious that characters like Tails or Knuckles will be able to avoid loops, grinds, tubs by exploring the confirmed Oshima vertical levels.

Nope, Sonic Superstars is not just Sonic/horizontal/automated/brainless corridors...

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I think it looks fantastic honestly. The style looks spot on. Level design i am not entirely sold on yet, though I absolutely loved Sonic CD because it enforced more exploration and finding spots to launch time travel. I can see the Sonic CD influence in this game, but the first level looks like a proper classic Sonic level. Its apparent there are some modern mechanics in there, like ring dashes, i'm not the biggest fan of those.

Unknown?

I think it looks fantastic honestly. The style looks spot on. Level design i am not entirely sold on yet, though I absolutely loved Sonic CD because it enforced more exploration and finding spots to launch time travel. I can see the Sonic CD influence in this game, but the first level looks like a proper classic Sonic level. Its apparent there are some modern mechanics in there, like ring dashes, i'm not the biggest fan of those.
Biggest thing for me is NO OLD levels! I'm tired of reused levels for nostalgia.

Top Bottom