• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software sales: PlayStation crushed Switch in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
I see the situation in that way:

Nintendo sells a lot related to first party games... they sells tons... but sells moderate on 3rd-party front (there is way less releases too).
Sony sells a lot of 1st-party games (way less than Nintendo).... and a lot 3rd-party games (more releases and more related sales).

Overall Sony did sells more Games units, DLCs, MTXs, subscriptions, services, etc... and the difference is not small.

Think like for each big Nintendo game there is like 100 3rd-party games being released on PS... that include big hits like GTA, CoD, AC, Battlefield, etc etc etc... plus them multiplatform 3rd-party games are normally have way better sales on PS than Nintendo systems.

That doesn't change that Nintendo first-party sales are really outstanding... way better than PS first-party sales... and PS first-party sales is not bad at all the opposite it is just Nintendo 1st-party sell really that well.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Nintendo crushes Playstation in profits.

Dr House Oops GIF
Nintendo crushes fans wallets.

Boss Mog

The digital vs physical on Playstation is heavily and wrongfully skewed by the fact that digital sales includes indie games with no physical version, dlc which also doesn't exist in physical and I'm pretty sure it includes microtransactions such as V-Bucks, Apex Tokens, Shark cards and other digital in-game currencies sold on the PS Store. If you only compared full retail games that are available in both formats, I bet physical would hold its own a lot better.

I won't check the documents to confirm but I believe Nintendo doesn't breakdown separably like Sony.
On Nintendo docs everything is included in Digital Sales (digital games, DLCs, MTX, services, subscriptions, etc).

Then the title in this thread is incorrect. It's not software sales, it's how much money circulates on their online stores, right? Can a mod fix it?

ethomaz

Banned
The digital vs physical on Playstation is heavily and wrongfully skewed by the fact that digital sales includes indie games with no physical version, dlc which also doesn't exist in physical and I'm pretty sure it includes microtransactions such as V-Bucks, Apex Tokens, Shark cards and other digital in-game currencies sold on the PS Store. If you only compared full retail games that are available in both formats, I bet physical would hold its own a lot better.
That should not be fair I guess... you are excluding games just because it doesn't have a physical release?
And people that have a PS5 DE and are buying games?

I mean NPD at least started to fix that... GFK same... Famitsu is still not doing it so it is becoming more irrelevant with the digital push made by COVID-19.

Boss Mog

That should not be fair I guess... you are excluding games just because it doesn't have a physical release?
And people that have a PS5 DE and are buying games?

I mean NPD at least started to fix that... GFK same... Famitsu is still not doing it so it is becoming more irrelevant with the digital push made by COVID-19.
I'm not doing anything. I'm calling out the fact that some people will use this to say physical is dead even though it's not when you exclusively compare sales of what's available in both formats.

Duchess

No one cares about console wars.
Oh, believe me, a lot of people do.

I'm a PlayStation gamer, but both my neighbours have got Xboxes.

Every time we cross paths, they grumble and shoot some snippy remarks my way, along the lines of:

"Enjoying God of War, are you?!", or

"Enjoying Ghost of Tsushima, are you?!",

as well as, "Enjoying Horizon Zero Dawn, are you?!",

and "Enjoying The Last of Us Part 2, are you?!",

not to forgot "Enjoying Days Gone, are you?!"

I always try and fire one back, but for the life of me I can't think of anything to say ...

:)

Calverz

Absolute domination.

Absolute obliteration.

Absolute murder.

If these consoles were humans PlayStation would be locked up for what it's doing.

Don't let the box charts in Japan fool you folks. PlayStation is selling software at record pace. We are beyond satisfied. Beyond.
“We are beyond satisfied”
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Waiting for it to dip back below 100 before diving back in. Sold out at 115 back in Feb.

Unfortunately their share price is currently outstripping their efforts in the gaming space. Maybe that's why we're seeing them do the shit that they are doing at the moment, it's all about the money now.

I kept fluctuating going in and out, as I was never confident in just investing as a gaming company regardless of how much money it was bringing in (why i'll never invest in Nintendo) but after a long look at them and their refocus as an entertainment company (games, music, movies and anime) I've decided to settle long term.

Last edited:

Nintendo sells a lot related to first party games... they sells tons... but sells moderate on 3rd-party front (there is way less releases too).
Sony sells a lot of 1st-party games (way less than Nintendo).... and a lot 3rd-party games (more releases and more related sales).

Overall Sony did sells more Games units, DLCs, MTXs, subscriptions, services, etc... and the difference is not small.

Think like for each big Nintendo game there is like 100 3rd-party games being released on PS... that include big hits like GTA, CoD, AC, Battlefield, etc etc etc... plus them multiplatform 3rd-party games are normally have way better sales on PS than Nintendo systems.

That doesn't change that Nintendo first-party sales are really outstanding... way better than PS first-party sales... and PS first-party sales is not bad at all the opposite it is just Nintendo 1st-party sell really that well.

A lot of your posts come off as a huge Sony fanboy, but you’ve hit the nail on the head and are being quite objective here. I agree with your assessment.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
There are a ton more Sony consoles worldwide than Nintendo. So they should sell a ton more.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not doing anything. I'm calling out the fact that some people will use this to say physical is dead even though it's not when you exclusively compare sales of what's available in both formats.
Physical used to be bigger than Digital... I always said that in the best case Digital was around 30-40% but sadly COVID-19 happened and changed habits.

Digital today is higher than physical sales.

Even Japan that used to have very little digital are sawing 30-40% digital in new titles.

Nintendo didn’t breakdown Digitial sales between package and DLC/MTX but if you look at Sony financiais you will see digital today sells at 3:1 with physical.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Handhelds sell well for Nintendo. If Switch was a console it would be another Wii U commercial failure.
I loved the Wii U btw

GHG

I kept fluctuating going in and out, as I was never confident in just investing as a gaming company regardless of how much money it was bringing in (why i'll never invest in Nintendo) but after a long look at them and their refocus as an entertainment company (games, music, movies and anime) I've decided to settle long term.

What I've noticed with it over time is that it's very sensitive to earnings. Selling after positive earnings or buying on the dip after bad earnings is a sensible thing to do if you're interested in swing trading it.

That said, it's held up surprisingly well during the market shitting itself over the last month, I was expecting a return to 90s by now.

Woopah

This is pretty much how I see it too. Sony's first party sales are improving and Switch's third party sales are improving so its going to be very interesting ow this changes in the future.

Great Hair

Banned
Why are Sony fanboys so insecure?

No one cares about console wars.

Edit: Sony gets 30% of PSN sales? Damn.
I thought this looked bad until I saw the retail version.
A more expensive console gets more money spent than a less? Amazing.
So Switch wins this gen?
I thought Nintendo made more last year than Sony did during the entire PS4? There was some story about that a month or two ago.
815051.jpg
What Is That Smash Bros GIF

Episode 2 Judge GIF by The Simpsons

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is surreal, you're in every other thread arguing how the PS5 has no positives against the XSX and now find you writing a lame ass comment in a Sony sales thread.. and yet we're the ones insecure? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hope you had fun today warrior.
Ps5 absolutely has positives, I rate it. I’m just enjoying bouncing some ideas off some hardcore Sony fans. I’d do the same to ms fans if they were going at it the same.

i Don’t think I’m the warrior haha. There's plenty of those around here.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
looking at the sector breakdown, 2/3s of sony's non hardware gaming revenue seems to be subsciptions/vc/microtransactions etc, anyone that thinks sony won't work to protect things like fifa ultimate if they ever have to is naive

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I will need some summary lol
Ehhh, I let you go first, aight? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

okay...
That's what it says:
Today (October 28), Sony officially released its financial report for the second quarter of fiscal year 2020 (July to October). The report shows that Sony’s sales revenue for the quarter was 21135 billion yen (approximately RMB 136 billion). It was flat last year. In order to achieve comparability, excluding one-off factors such as business transfers, tax rate differences, inventory impairment, and New Crown Global Assistance Fund expenditures (this fiscal quarter and the same period last year), operating profit increased by 19% year-on-year to 330.6 billion yen (approximately RMB). 21.3 billion yuan); net profit increased by 46% to 255.4 billion yen (about 16.4 billion yuan).
In terms of its game and network business, sales this quarter reached 506.6 billion yen (a year-on-year increase of 11%) and revenue reached 104.9 billion yen. In the quarter, sales of game hardware (PS4 consoles, etc.) were 41.7 billion yen, and game software was 331 billion yen (including 33.9 billion yen for physical version, 125.5 billion yen for digital version, and 171.5 billion yen for additional game content).

In terms of actual sales, 1.5 million PS4 consoles were sold this quarter, and 80.9 million PS4 platform games were sold (digital version accounted for 59%, down from 74% in the previous quarter), of which 12.4 million were first-party games. The number of PS+ subscribers reached 45.9 million, and the number of monthly active users reached 107 million
Part of the data of the first party game:
Part of the data of the first party game:

-"God of War" sold 3.1 million three days after its release;

-"Marvel Spider-Man" sold 3.3 million three days after its release;

-"The Last of Us 2" sold 4 million three days after its release;

-"The Ghost of Tsushima" sold 2.4 million three days after its release.

Keywords: RMB Sony Financial Report

Last edited by a moderator:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Sony reports PS+ and PSNow subscriptions as "Network Services," not software. Try again.

Microtransactions are simply a form of DLC.

Who cares? This metric you're using is totally meaningless nowadays. It doesn't matter to anyone whether someone spends $60 on a game or $60 in Fortnite skins. The alternative is to treat everyone who has ever downloaded Fortnite has having "purchased" the game.

Who cares? it's the subject of the thread and the point supposedly shown by the figures posted.

Okay, let's make it simple for you

The OP asserts:

PlayStation owners buy more
-games

But the figures don't show this

No unit figures are shown so we can't say that playstation owners buy more games. That claim specifically requires unit sales figures in order to determine if the number of games (not services or microtransactions) purchased is higher. This is why units matter. If you're going to claim the number of units per owner is higher you need the number of units sold. Without that we'd be left making an estimation based upon revenue however this is flawed owing to differing pricing structures for games. This is then made impossible as the digital revenue figures for games are mixed with services and no distinction is made.

The only figure we have that we can say is representative of actual game sales is the physical figures as no services or microtransactions are sold physically (that I'm aware of). Unfortunately that figure directly contradicts the assertion that PS owners buy more games because that figure is more than 3x higher for the Switch than the PS. This means that digital would have to show a completely inverse consumer trend on ratio and make up quite a difference - which is possible, but we can't see it because the figures are dirty and mixed with services.

Whether a system is selling more of something is a question of units not revenue.
You can't determine quantity from revenue without a breakdown of revenue by unit type.

Bob sells 2 apples and mows a lawn for $30. Steve sells 5 Melons for $20. We can say that Steve sold more fruit (quantity) because we know he sold 5 (units) of fruit. However, without that information and based solely off the amount of money taken (revenue) the opposite assumption may be incorrectly made because we have no way of knowing how much of Bob's income (revenue) is relevant to the measurement (units sold) we are trying to gauge versus how much comes from services rendered (mowing a lawn).

Last edited:

Fake

The level of insecurity from some users posting about insecurity.

What's your point lol?

About what? Sony earning profit by online space aka PSN?

Dude, before quote me at least read the follow up.
Isn't the reason that PS4 has a much larger share of its sales as digital while Switch is mostly physical? While all the nintendo switch sales threads usually compare physical sales

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Neverending circle of insecurity from both sides lol Still, I couldn't care less about anything Nintendo, so I will just laugh and move on...

Woo-Fu

Banned
Thanks, but everyone was saying source because OP omitted the source of that information. Could mods or OP add that to the original post?

I feel that quite a few people were saying source for a reason other than lack of source. It is a zero-effort method of discrediting anything, even when the source is patently obvious to anybody who can grasp the data presented.

The sad part is that this skirmish in the fan wars is meaningless when it comes to enjoying the products made by the companies referenced unless you're a lunatic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom