• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software sales: PlayStation crushed Switch in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

Everyone should know this. The difference is the majority of Switch sales are first party Nintendo games that Nintendo gets 100% of the money from and the majority of Playstation sales are third party sales that Sony only gets 30% from. That's why the Switch is printing way more money than the PS4.

You should take another look at those graphs.
Sonys is listed in the billions of yen while Nintendos states millions of yen.

On top of that the higher parts of Nintys graph is revenue (blue), while Sonys is entirely based on profit. (Green is the operating profit)

Edit: Here are the graphs.

XphBNkG_d.webp

EXZlL8rWsAAme5J

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned

On top of that the higher parts of Nintys graph is revenue (blue), while Sonys is entirely based on profit. (Green is the operating profit)

Edit: Here are the graphs.

XphBNkG_d.webp

EXZlL8rWsAAme5J
Look again, compare the profits.

MagnesG

Banned
That’s a massive thread, are you saying the graphs are wrong that the OP was using as a basis for their thread?
It's correct, but you sure didn't read it correctly when you mention about millions and billions metric from your post about that.

Also yeah for 2017 during the Switch launch year it didn't manage to beat PS4 for operating profit numbers, but close enough - 138m yen. But then again, that's normal for every launch of console performance vs peak console performance; it's at the start of a steep slope. Even PS4 chugs on profit number during their and PS5 too later.

bitbydeath

It's correct, but you sure didn't read it correctly when you mention about millions and billions metric from your post about that.

Also yeah for 2017 during the Switch launch year it didn't manage to beat PS4 for operating profit numbers, but close enough - 138m yen. But then again, that's normal for every launch of console performance vs peak console performance; it's at the start of a steep slope. Even PS4 chugs on profit number during their and PS5 too later.
OK, maybe it was a fluke that Sony beat Nintendo in 2017, let’s look at 2018.
Sony - 311.1 billion yen
Nintendo - 200,000 million yen

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I think it's more than just PS+ subscriptions which only make up around $1-2 billion. I think it's the fact that the switch simply does not have any big releases from third parties. They get some ports every now and then a few years down the line, but overall, there is no AC Valhalla launching on the switch. No CoD. No Madden. No Fifa. No Warzone. Let alone other somewhat smaller third party titles like RE3, Watch Dogs, Avengers, Cyberpunk, etc. I think they only got Fenyx Rising on day one. And Doom Eternal late last year. Sony gets 30% in revenue from every single digital sale. 10% from physical sales. thats a lot of third party revenue Nintendo is missing out on. Im sure they are happy with their first party sales. Rise did well too, but third party exclusives are very

I own a PS4 brah.

Animagic

Banned
I’m glad the industry is healthy. I don’t really care who makes more money. Imagine being all-in on a dog of a console like the Jaguar, Atari vcs, or amico, that’s got to be the worst.

Everyone should know this. The difference is the majority of Switch sales are first party Nintendo games that Nintendo gets 100% of the money from and the majority of Playstation sales are third party sales that Sony only gets 30% from. That's why the Switch is printing way more money than the PS4.

How did he even arrive at those numbers? I double checked just to be sure and he's way off on operating profits

Nintendo

2018 - $1.6 billion
2019 - $2.2 billion
2020 - $3.1 billion

Which is over $7 billion

Same with Sony from 2018 to 2020 they're over $6.5 billion

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
What I could find:

Nintendo Annual Net Income
(Millions of US $)
2020$2,379
2019$1,746
2018$1,256
2017$903

Nintendo Annual Revenue
(Millions of US $)
2020$12,038
2019$10,805
2018$9,501
2017$4,304

Sony Annual Net Income
(Millions of US $)
2020$5,356
2019$8,246
2018$4,417
2017$682

Sony Annual Revenue
(Millions of US $)
2020$75,991
2019$77,991
2018$76,896
2017$70,710

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Oh wow. I didn't expect such a disparity after seeing those NPD charts week after week.

PlayStation really is the undisputed king of the video game industry right now. Hope the company continues to improve its games and services for us.

MagnesG

Banned
OK, maybe it was a fluke that Sony beat Nintendo in 2017, let’s look at 2018.
Sony - 311.1 billion yen
Nintendo - 200,000 million yen
Lol, it's not a fluke, it's objective. Remind me what is the year number of PS4 for 2018 again?

How did he even arrive at those numbers? I double checked just to be sure and he's way off on operating profits

Nintendo

2018 - $1.6 billion
2019 - $2.2 billion
2020 - $3.1 billion

Which is over $7 billion

Same with Sony from 2018 to 2020 they're over $6.5 billion
This is the correct one straight from their earnings reports:

Nintendo - 12.22 billion USD of operating profits from 2017-2020 FY17/18 to FY20/21
Sony gaming division - 10.98 billion USD of operating profits from 2013-2020 (less a quarter compared)

Those numbers operate from FY17/18 to FY20/21 for Nintendo, we have 5 FY earnings to consider not 4, not 3. Also that Sony numbers are from 2013-2020 only, so Sony numbers are off for one quarter, the numbers from Sony should be higher than that.

It doesn't matter though, Switch in its current lifecycle had already beating PS4 around half the time for their operating profits.

Outrunner

Basically, we're gonna need a source and some more detail. There is some muddy number malarky going on here and any time something decides to combine services and software into a single figure without making a distinction I'm always curious what they're hiding
Xbox has done that for years and no one blinks an eye

yurinka

Lol, it's not a fluke, it's objective. Remind me what is the year number of PS4 for 2018 again?

Nintendo - 12.22 billion USD of operating profits from 2017-2020 FY17/18 to FY20/21
Sony gaming division - 10.98 billion USD of operating profits from 2013-2020 (less a quarter compared)

Those numbers operate from FY17/18 to FY20/21 for Nintendo, we have 5 FY earnings to consider not 4, not 3. Also that Sony numbers are from 2013-2020 only, so Sony numbers are off for one quarter, the numbers from Sony should be higher than that.

It doesn't matter though, Switch in its current lifecycle had already beating PS4 around half the time for their operating profits.
Your comparisions of 2013-2020 in a company vs other in 2017-2020 don't make sense because they also have other consoles (portables, previous consoles, mobile, vr). In any case it would make a bit more sense to compare both companies -as a whole, not counting as it would be only for a console- in the 2013-2020 period or both companies in the 2017-2020. Or a bigger period or per year periods. But again, wouldn't still make sense because their predecesors, portables or mobile would be affecting (plus multi platform services or accesories like VR, Amiibo, Labo etc).

But well, looking at this graph I understand why Nintendo fanboys don't want to include Nintendo's 2013-2016 years in the profit comparisions:

EXZlL8rWsAAme5J

The closest thing you have to compare only 2 consoles alone is to compare is their hardare, software and maybe accesories sold (I wouldn't include services here because they are mixed with other consoles like PS3, Vita or 3DS):

(Since March 2017 until December 2020)
Switch Hardware: ~80 million units
Switch Software: 532 million units

(Since November 2013 until December 2020)
PS4 Hardware: 115 million units
PS4 Software: ~1.5 billion units

And maybe to be more accurate to make compare them launch aligned and aligning their quarters per fiscal years to align the bump each console has with the Holidays season etc because weren't released in the same part of the year so if you don't align them per fiscal year every few months one or the another get a big bump compared to the other during some months. Which at the same time wouldn't be too fair because by doing that the covid bump would be included in Switch and not in PS4.

Is this why TLOU 2 bombed?
As I remember it was the best selling PS4 exclusive of the year in a year with exclusives like FFVIIR or GoT, it also was the fastest selling PS4 exclusive ever and it won more GOTY awards than any other games before and a 93 metacritic. It sold more than GoT, which untils this month sold 6.5M units. It should be around 8-9M units sold and will continue selling (has the MP coming, possible PS5+PC versions, who knows if a single player DLC too, more sales/price cuts, etc), so it didn't bomb at all.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Hahaha, it's cute nintendo gaf thought they could compete with Sony when it comes to sales.

Friendly reminder to know your place:

31H3eq7.png

As a third party box that needs third parties to do most of the leg work for them?

🤣

If Playstation disappeared over night we'd all just get an Xbox and nothing would be different.

Everybody knows Nintendo is the best. Even Sony knows which is why they pathetically copied their every move countless times. Even when they were outselling them they were still scared shitless of them and embarrassed themselves by aping their motion controls while pretending they had the idea in the works all along.

Best characters, best series, most talent, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Playstation = third party box you could get on PC or Xbox.

You can brag about all the FIFA sales you want but that doesn't change who the actual best in the industry is.

Last edited:
As a third party box that needs third parties to do most of the leg work for them?

🤣

If Playstation disappeared over night we'd all just get an Xbox and nothing would be different.

Everybody knows Nintendo is the best.

Best characters, best series, most talent, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Playstation = third party box you could get on PC or Xbox.

You can brag about all the FIFA sales you want but that doesn't change who the actual best in the industry is.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Not Sony's fault third party doesn't care about Nintendo. Keep on crying, Sony is king.

iu

carlosrox

Banned
Sony is king.

King of third party sports games 🤣

Sony wouldn't survive a generation without third parties cuz they're bitchmade.

Cry more that Nintendo is the most important and best thing that ever happened to gaming and everybody knows it.

Where's the Crash Bandicoot theme park? Oh I forgot, that's not even a Sony IP anymore and Crash is on Nintendo now and he'd get into Smash before PSBAR or whatever the fuck that forgettable copied Nintendo game was called 🤣

How many Nintendo characters went over to Playstation?

Last edited:
King of third party sports games 🤣

Sony wouldn't survive a generation without third parties cuz they're bitchmade.

Cry more that Nintendo is the most important and best thing that ever happened to gaming and everybody knows it.
Nintendo is best at ripping off their gullible fanbase, that's all they're good at.

But keep on crying third party companies look down on nintendo and don't even waste their time with Switch :D

Hahaha, nintendo even behind Tencent, LMFAO! Btw who won GOTY 2020? LOOOOOL!

dance GIF

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Nintendo is best at ripping off their gullibe fanbase, that's all they're good at.

But keep on crying third party companies look down on nintendo and don't even waste their time with Switch :D

Hahaha, nintendo even behind Tencent, LMFAO!

dance GIF

Sony's good at selling to morons who think their toy is for adults 🤣

FIFA. GTA. MLB. COD and AC box. All games you can get elsewhere but all the Sony casuals buy them there for some reason 🤣

Do those sales include all the MOVIES you can rent/buy on PSN? 🤣

carlosrox

Banned
EA or any other third party never had their own console

Which is why I was talking about Nintendo and Sony's console genius.

Third parties know they can't compete with Nintendo's games on their console but they know they'll smack Sony's games! Sports crap sells GREAT on Playstation! Where do you think most of these sales come from??

🤣

Last edited:
Yet Animal Crossing has sold 31 million.

How much did TLOU2 sell?

How much did PSBAR sell vs Smash?

🤣
Animal crossing? Lol I thought you hated casual crap?

Oh and now sales matter once more.

I'll repost this again then friend, just so you know how far behind your favorite company is when it comes to sales:

31H3eq7.png

2cc.jpg

Anyway, I had enough fun with you now, mods will mod me if I keep pushing your face in reality. But thanks for the tears friend! :D

carlosrox

Banned
Animal crossing? Lol I thought you hated casual crap?

Oh and now sales matter once more.

I'll repost this again then friend, just so you know how far behind your favorite company is when it comes to sales:

31H3eq7.png

2cc.jpg

Anyway, I had enough fun with you now, mods will mod me if I keep pushing your face in reality. But thanks for the tears friend! :D

Care to post what's going on in Japan?

Y'know, complete Sony irrelevance 🤣 ?
King indeed!

Yes, ta!
Enjoy your FIFA, GTA, and movie box!

Last edited:

I mean, first that's 4 FY, not not 5

Second, why are you using a FY that's not even been reported by Nintendo or Sony yet?

Last edited:

pasterpl

Nintendo is best at ripping off their gullibe fanbase, that's all they're good at.

Hahaha, nintendo even behind Tencent, LMFAO! Btw who won GOTY 2020? LOOOOOL!

dance GIF
$70 games

Yet Animal Crossing has sold 31 million.

How much did TLOU2 sell?

How much did PSBAR sell vs Smash?

🤣
Wtf is PSBAR?

Shubh_C63

Nintendo has always been crushing it when it comes to actually making games. But for how long, as current market shows rich keep getting richer buying all the talent.

Nintendo isn't even available in so many countries while Sony has a worldwide reach. For now it's game, but sooner or later this Netflix and ecosystem era will leave Nintendo behind unless they are ok being the quirky toy maker for kids (not dissing here).

Nintendo could be the Japan Disney. Hook the kids while they are young and your "market" never really goes away. While Sony/MS all want a pie for that working class man child money, especially Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom