• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software sales: PlayStation crushed Switch in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pallas

Gold Member
I feel that quite a few people were saying source for a reason other than lack of source. It is a zero-effort method of discrediting anything, even when the source is patently obvious to anybody who can grasp the data presented.

The sad part is that this skirmish in the fan wars is meaningless when it comes to enjoying the products made by the companies referenced unless you're a lunatic.

True but could you blame them with how the thread was titled? It was very inflaming.

Everyone should know this. The difference is the majority of Switch sales are first party Nintendo games that Nintendo gets 100% of the money from and the majority of Playstation sales are third party sales that Sony only gets 30% from. That's why the Switch is printing way more money than the PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
Everyone should know this. The difference is the majority of Switch sales are first party Nintendo games that Nintendo gets 100% of the money from and the majority of Playstation sales are third party sales that Sony only gets 30% from. That's why the Switch is printing way more money than the PS4.

It that comparison before or after the record profits this quarter?

Edit - Actually the thread is missing Q3 from Sony because it was made before Sony release the results lol

Last edited:

yurinka

WTF? are these worldwide?

I legit thought Switch games were making a killing from the NPD charts.
Yup, worldwide. NPD is US only and only cover the few best selling games. There are tons of games sold, even in US, not covered in the sales rankings. Same goes from the other rankings from other countries (specially those rankings that don't include digital games).

Pretty sure, by now the PS4 has overtaken the PS2 in terms of software sales?

PS2 around 1,300,000,000 after 10 years?
PS4 around 1,200,000,000 after 7 years? (last time they reported them)
-PS2 sold 1537M games in ~12 years.
-Switch (as of Dec 2020) sold 532M games in almost 4 years.
-PS4 sold 1477M games in ~7 years (as of Sept 2020). In the last quarter report they combined PS4+PS5 software sales (103.7M), so we don't know the current exact number as of Dec 2020, but very likely as of now PS5 already sold more games than PS2 as of now.

So PS4 sold in 7 years the same or more than PS2 did in 12 years. And PS4 sold in 7 years around 3x the games Switch sold in ~4 years.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
jackson_pop_corn.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Throw them in if you want, its not like its gonna be way bigger than Nintendo's quarter to close the huge gap.
Actually it makes a lot of difference... add Q3 FY20 to the data to match what Nintendo in that thread... plus Q4 for both.
After do the inflation adjusts and see the results.

I should fix his data but I don't have the time right now.

Edit - Just to understand better... only the Q3 FY20 missing from Sony add $765 million profit that drops the diff to around $500 million if the others quarters are right.

Last edited:
Actually it makes a lot of difference... add Q3 FY20 to the data to match what Nintendo in that thread... plus Q4 for both.
After do the inflation adjusts and see the results.

I should fix his data but I don't have the time right now.

Edit - Just to understand better... only the Q3 FY20 missing from Sony add $765 million profit that drops the diff to around $500 million if the others quarters are right.
Bro its comparing only 2017-2020 for Nintendo to 2013 to 2020 for Sony, its literally giving Sony double the amount of time and Nintendo's profits were still higher by over 1 billion...

ethomaz

Banned
Bro its comparing only 2017-2020 for Nintendo to 2013 to 2020 for Sony, its literally giving Sony double the amount of time and Nintendo's profits were still higher by over 1 billion...
Yeap... it is lacks Q3 FY20 for Sony... Oct-Dec 2020.... $765m.
Needs to be fixed.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Who cares? That's not even enough to close the 1 bil gap and that's even with giving Sony a handicap of double the amount of time. They aren't even in the same league.
I care... the guy that create the thread seems to care... everybody that replied to the thread cares?

I mean it is wrong data being showed.... the gap or who made less or more are unimportant.
It is a comparison actually using wrong data... to be fair missing data.

Last edited:
I care... the guy that create the thread seems to care... everybody that replied to the thread cares?

I mean it is wrong data being showed.... the gap or who made less or more are unimportant.
It is a comparison actually using wrong data... to be fair missing data.
Like I said before, adding that quarter is not even close to being enough to make them even comparable. Do whatever manipulation you want with the data with inflation or whatever, you can't come close to closing that huge gap.

ethomaz

Banned
Like I said before, adding that quarter is not even close to being enough to make them even comparable. Do whatever manipulation you want with the data with inflation or whatever, you can't come close to closing that huge gap.
Manipulation?
It doesn't matter if it is close or not... it matter to be accurate to anybody that will read.

It is not even a huge gap it is basically a quarter of difference.... $500m.
Haaaaa you will say but the time frame... yeap try to add de Wii U "profit" there... you know there is some "lose" quarters there.

Last edited:
Manipulation?
It doesn't matter if it is close or not... it matter to be accurate to anybody that will read.
What are you talking about? I said throw the quarter in and it doesn't change the picture at all. Your trying to sweep everything under the rug and act like it doesn't exist because you found something wrong with the thread. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying throw your quarter in there they still don't come close.

ethomaz

Banned
What are you talking about? I said throw the quarter in and it doesn't change the picture at all. Your trying to sweep everything under the rug and act like it doesn't exist because you found something wrong with the thread. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying throw your quarter in there they still don't come close.
Wut?
The thread is missing a quarter for Sony lol
It doesn't matter if it closes or not the overall result that is actually wrong right now.

Just think a bit about... sometime in the future a guy will use that thread to show add some others numbers and it will be all wrong.
Threads with sales data should be accurate for not have issues in future references.

How can I manipulate anything with actual public data? (I should have that power... and buy some stocks... and nahhhh).

Last edited:
Wut?
The thread is missing a quarter for Sony lol
It doesn't matter if it closes or not the overall result that is actually wrong right now.
Your right, instead of Nintendo making over 1Bil over Sony in half the time now they only made 600m over Sony in half the amount of time. Everything is null and void and Sony profits are now on the same level as Nintendo.

ethomaz

Banned
Why stop there? Add the PS3 quarters for Sony :messenger_winking:
That should make the thread 2006-2020.
I'm not the one complaining about the choose periods... it was the guy replying to me.
It just that the OP choose period is missing a quarter on Sony data while it is added on Nintendo data.

Last edited:
That should make the thread 2006-2020.
I'm not the one complaining about the choose periods... it was the guy replying to me.
It just that the OP choose period is missing a quarter on Sony data while it is added on Nintendo data.
The thread literally gave Sony double the amount of time and your complaining about it missing one quarter...when 2X the amount of time isn't a big enough handicap...

MagnesG

Banned
Again, profit matters.

All that revenue from plebs buying and paying MTs for annual FIFA, COD, Fortnite, ACs for years mostly on PS4 because Xbox shot down themselves in the foot during the start of the gen, but still can't win on the overall profit.

It's telling that nobody can provide actual numbers. With Nintendo we know that they spent $775m on R&D in 2020.

Also blowing a shitload of money on marketing deals and then making very mediocre profits compared to revenue is kinda bad management.

It's telling that nobody can provide actual numbers. With Nintendo we know that they spent $775m on R&D in 2020.

Also blowing a shitload of money on marketing deals and then making very mediocre profits compared to revenue is kinda bad management.

Mate Sony spent just slightly under half of that on external 1st party games alone lmao

I don't think you have the slightest clue about what's good or bad mangment tbh

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

Jesus christ. Why one hasn't hire this guy yet? Wasting his talents on neogaf.

Growing the company is blowing money now?

Let's put this way.
We both sale cars. I bought a bmw for 10k sold it for 11k. And you bought a Mercedes for 5k and sold it 8k. You made more profit than me but you got nothing on me.

Money dont sit in the bank. That's bad management.

See how far sony grow from 2013 and said bad management again

Airbus Jr

Banned
This is blasphemy on nintendo part

Im going to summon bodomism

Someone made a title : "Playstation is crushing Nintendo"

Bodo be like :

images

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
It’s alright, Nintendo is still the most casual brand.

Puh-leez. You know how many casuals buy Playstation just because it's the "adult" toy and has kept that image for generations?

And how many casuals do you think buy the console just for sports shit and AC/COD?

Show me a moron who thinks PS is dope and Nintendo is kiddy/beneath them and I'll show you a dumb ass casual who doesn't know shit about gaming.

(Hint: that's a LOT of people)

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
And my point is, if I can outprofit you 2 to 1 while spending half the money, you're doing it wrong. Feel free to disagree.
I give up. Do yourself a favor and try to learn about this stuff. Maybe you will understand. Business is a science for a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom