• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is SPLATOON really going to lock 45 single-player missions behind amiibo?

Shauni

This and the Hyrule Warriors Amiibo exclusive weapons are 2 implementations of the system that annoy the crap out of me. I'm assuming a lot of the lack of launch content complaints from reviewers would have been alleviated with the levels in the base game as bonus unlockables.

Weapon. There's only one unlockable weapon in Hyrule Warriors via amiibo.

MrBS

I think this thread has convinced me to buy that triple pack during my lunch break that I saw yesterday at EB ><

#partoftheproblem

TDLink

I'm seriously thinking about returning the game at this point. I was only interested in the SP which is about 5+ hours (and fine with me), but what really irks me is having only one weapon due to the Amiibo DLC. It's one thing if this was regular paid-dlc and I could pay it online, but now it is locked behind some expensive figurine that's sold out.

I really don't want to give this a pass and if the figures were available for a decent pricepoint and readily available ($15 or so) I would probably buy it but I'm not going to be to go hunt down these things.

To anyone that is playing the SP, even using one weapon, does the SP get repetitive?

What?

You have to beat the levels once normally before you are allowed to play the amiibo versions anyways. So it's not that they let you switch to roller or charger to get past the level, you still need to beat it with the normal gun first. You are only allowed to use these extra weapons on repeat runs, and only via scanning in the amiibo every time you want to do it. It's also not every level, just select levels for each weapon.

This game is very clearly multiplayer focused as well so while the single player is pretty good you really shouldn't be surprised that there is not a ton of content there. Try the multiplayer out, it will likely surprise you.

jnWake

This is one of the few amiibo implementations I dislike, since I feel this challenge mode is something that Nintendo would have added to the game if amiibo didn't exist. For example, NSMBU had one and I think there have been other Nintendo games with challenge modes.

Other amiibo DLC like Yoshi's Wooly World costumes, MK8 Mii Suits and cameos in FE:If or Codename S.T.E.A.M. don't bother me because they are things that are only happening because of the amiibo. Never before we saw Nintendo doing that kind of content for their games. Smash and MP10 also use the amiibo's portability in their modes so they wouldn't exist without the figurines either.

Overside

Banned
LMAO at all the people making up some imaginary amiibo defense force.

You all can stop pretending, the only reason you are so pissed is becuse you desperately want the peice of plastic to further clutter your hoaderesque habitat. but cant find any anywhere.

I saw someones squid with the school girl outfit in my lobby. Doesnt that mean you could just go up to them and order the stupid thing off of them and get it from spike?

You all can stop pretending, the only reason you are so pissed is becuse you desperately want the peice of plastic to further clutter your hoaderesque habitat. but cant find any anywhere.

I saw someones squid with the school girl outfit in my lobby. Doesnt that mean you could just go up to them and order the stupid thing off of them and get it from spike?

No, the game says it's unavailable for order.

TDLink

You can't order the amiibo gear (or the gear you unlock through story mode). That said, there's so much other cool gear in the game that it's not a huge loss if you never get the schoolgirl, samurai, or power suit sets.

Those 3 armor sets are pretty much the only substantial things the amiibo provide. None of the other stuff they give you is really "worthwhile".

Shauni

You can't order the amiibo gear (or the gear you unlock through story mode). That said, there's so much other cool gear in the game that it's not a huge loss if you never get the schoolgirl, samurai, or power suit sets.

Those 3 armor sets are pretty much the only substantial things the amiibo provide. None of the other stuff they give you is really "worthwhile".

I would say the minigames are more worthwhile than the suits to be honest. YMMV and all, but I think they're pretty fun. As much as I love Squid Jump, having a little variety does a lot there.

Though I have no idea what Squid Beatz is supposed to be.

Neiteio

The schoolgirl outfit is my favorite in the game, and the main reason I wanted the amiibo. I even got great abilities on it.

I also prefer Squid Volleyball to Squid Jump. Haven't unlocked the other arcade games yet.

And I know you don't like them, but I like the challenges. I loved the single-player, so I like having more content there.

TDLink

I would say the minigames are more worthwhile than the suits to be honest. YMMV and all, but I think they're pretty fun. As much as I love Squid Jump, having a little variety does a lot there.

Though I have no idea what Squid Beatz is supposed to be.

The schoolgirl outfit is my favorite in the game, and the main reason I wanted the amiibo. I even got great abilities on it.

I also prefer Squid Volleyball to Squid Jump. Haven't unlocked the other arcade games yet.

And I know you don't like them, but I like the challenges. I loved the single-player, so I like having more content there.

The minigames are probably the one thing that would have been in the base game had they not been tied to Amiibo. They are a relatively small part that I barely even have an opportunity to play since matchmaking works so fast though, so I don't really mind it. Especially since none of them are all that amazing.

I would like the challenges if they were at all actually challenging. As is they are mostly just very lazily letting you play the same levels but with different weapons. The kraken levels completely trivialize the levels as the kraken is invincible and can just go up any surface.

The 7 or so ink saver challenges on the squid amiibo are the only exceptions. Maybe if there were more like that it would be a different story.

Jesus christ, and people defend this as a form of DLC.

And see posts like this are why I'm trying to argue against the OP of this topic. It's just leading people to think there's a lot more scuminess going on with the content the Amiibo provide than there actually is. Claiming it's 45/60 full single player missions is being pretty deceptive when the "extra" content is so trivial and lazy and just leads to people generating unwarranted hate.

Neiteio

Hey TDLink, you can play the arcade games on the machine in the plaza if you ever want to try and get farther in them without being interrupted by matchmaking. I do this occasionally when I need a palate cleanser after many matches.

Neiteio

And see posts like this are why I'm trying to argue against the OP of this topic. It's just leading people to think there's a lot more scuminess going on with the content the Amiibo provide than there actually is. Claiming it's 45/60 full single player missions is being pretty deceptive when the "extra" content is so trivial and lazy and just leads to people generating unwarranted hate.
It's not deceptive. I lay out what they are, which is clearing existing stages with new tools under new conditions that require you to take a new approach. That's legitimate content that is restricted by amiibo.

If people think that it's something else, blame them for not reading the thread.

TDLink

Hey TDLink, you can play the arcade games on the machine in the plaza if you ever want to try and get farther in them without being interrupted by matchmaking. I do this occasionally when I need a palate cleanser after many matches.

Yes, but I don't think they're good enough to just sit there and play like that. They're okay as a distraction from matchmaking for a minute or two but I am not going to just go to the plaza and specifically play them. They're incredibly simplistic by any standards (and Beatz doesn't even have a goal). If I want a palate cleanser I have games on my phone, 3DS, or I could just do something that isn't video games for a bit haha. Those minigames are literally a time waster.

It's not deceptive. I lay out what they are, which is clearing existing stages with new tools under new conditions that require you to take a new approach. That's legitimate content that is restricted by amiibo.

If people think that it's something else, blame them for not reading the thread.

I think you knew exactly what you were doing by titling the thread the way you did. Even with your update that bumped this topic you were alarmist by saying "oh it's not 45, it's actually 60!"

Shauni

The minigames are probably the one thing that would have been in the base game had they not been tied to Amiibo. They are a relatively small part that I barely even have an opportunity to play since matchmaking works so fast though, so I don't really mind it. Especially since none of them are all that amazing.

Psst, Squid Jump is amazing.

Cuburt

Would people really be willing to pay $35 for the ability to access all the content?

Or would it just be another issue of things being over priced? Or would people complain that you have to buy in in a pack tied to a figure when they only want the stages or they only want the weapons or they only want the outfits or they only want the mini-games?

I hope Nintendo makes enough to let everyone who wants them get a chance to buy them (I was lucky enough to grab a 3 pack when they went on sale since they actually went on sale on the day they said they would), but otherwise, it's a problem with no solution that will satisfy everyone.

I'm actually glad that there is a good amount of content for figures that likely won't have another game any time soon to be compatible with. I would not have bought any if they were just clothes (as cool as the outfits are and as great as the amiibo look), and I most certainly wouldn't have bought all 3, nor would anyone but the most hardcore collectors (and the scalpers).

The only thing I can really say is that Nintendo needs to get the availability of cards out A.S.A.P., because that's the closest thing I can see to a reasonable solution that will satisfy the most amount of people, and even then people will still have reasons to hate the whole idea.

Neiteio

I think you knew exactly what you were doing by titling the thread the way you did. Even with your update that bumped this topic you were alarmist by saying "oh it's not 45, it's actually 60!"
This is making my head hurt. How can you accuse me of this stuff with a straight face?

I updated the OP to say 60 instead of 45 because it's 60 instead of 45. It turned out there was even more single-player content locked away behind amiibo than what we knew when I originally made the thread back in April.

There's nothing alarmist about this. It's the truth. Nintendo used amiibo to gate off stuff that significantly extends the single-player. You may not like the extra content, but I do, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. And what if someone wants to try it and decide for themselves? Thus we circle back to the original point: To simply try this content, you need to find the amiibo. And that's no guarantee since Nintendo doesn't provide enough supply.

I'm not a corporate ball-washer. I'll point out when Nintendo does things that are anti-consumer. Hopefully with enough feedback, they'll create alternate means of obtaining content tied to amiibo. Like more readily available amiibo cards, perhaps.

Would people really be willing to pay $35 for the ability to access all the content? Or would it just be another issue of things being over priced?
If Nintendo sold the game content alone, it wouldn't cost $35. If I had to guess, I'd say between $3-$4 for for one set of content, or $9-$12 total. The amiibo figures would still cost more because you get a physical object with them.

KDR_11k

So that's where I got this idea that there are multiple arcade games from. The volume of amiibo locked stuff in Splatoon is far too big, especially compared to the base content in the game. They should've left it at costumes, not lock challenges and arcade games too.

Neiteio

On a lighter note, LegendX48 encountered my Inkling in his plaza, lol:

18340676266_cf9ea4aaa3_o.jpg

Cuburt

If Nintendo sold the game content alone, it wouldn't cost $35. If I had to guess, I'd say between $3-$4 for for one set of content, or $9-$12 total. The amiibo figures would still cost more because you get a physical object with them.

But how can you break it down like that when the content, as it is, is already directly tied to individual characters?

I still paid $35 as a package deal to get the content and would have had to pay $12 a pop to get them separately. Nintendo does that and that's a big "Fuck you" to me as well as anyone like me who want the content and paid the price. Someone who actually already paid the money, not hypothetical customers who might only want to buy the school girl outfit if given the chance.

It's already been put out there the way it has. The options are to attempt to meet demand and not over produce (good luck; thanks scalpers) or to put out cards and probably charge a similar price (you know many people telling Nintendo just to make more figures or just to offer digital wouldn't like that).

Neiteio

But how can you break it down like that when the content, as it is, is already directly tied to individual characters?

I still paid $35 as a package deal to get the content and would have had to pay $12 a pop to get them separately. Nintendo does that and that's a big "Fuck you" to me as well as anyone like me who want the content and paid the price. Someone who actually already paid the money, not hypothetical customers who might only want to buy the school girl outfit if given the chance.

It's already been put out there the way it has. The options are to attempt to meet demand and not over produce (good luck; thanks scalpers) or to put out cards and probably charge a similar price (you know many people telling Nintendo just to make more figures or just to offer digital wouldn't like that).
It wouldn't be a "fuck you" if they added a DLC alternative at a lower cost, because you got a physical figurine for the extra money.

DirtyLarry

I picked up the girl and boy Amibo late Friday night since Amazon had them and I did not realize so much controversy surrounded them.
I just really was enjoying the game and read they gave the user some more content.
First amibos I have purchased actually. I figured it was like purchasing DLC but the stupid figures unlocked it.
I am apparently part of the problem. Then again I do not really have a problem with it, but I suppose I can see how others would.

Neiteio

I picked up the girl and boy Amibo late Friday night since Amazon had them and I did not realize so much controversy surrounded them.
I just really was enjoying the game and read they gave the user some more content.
First amibos I have purchased actually. I figured it was like purchasing DLC but the stupid figures unlocked it.
I am apparently part of the problem. Then again I do not really have a problem with it, but I suppose I can see how others would.
I started this thread. I own all three of the Splatoon amiibo. I just want Nintendo to provide enough supply so that others can try the special content if they want to try it. If Nintendo can't guarantee reasonable supply, they shouldn't tie this much content to them.

Cuburt

It wouldn't be a "fuck you" if they added a DLC alternative at a lower cost, because you got a physical figurine for the extra money.

But I wouldn't have bought the figure, let alone all 3, for 3 times the cost you propose, if it wasn't tied to the extra content.

Bottomline.

Arttemis

People claim this is bullshit, and there are multiple responses saying it's not because the minigames are not as fun as what's included in the game, and costumes are just costumes.
And then there are people insinuating that there isn't a defense force.

I used to be ambivalent regarding amiibos, but I'm now becoming increasingly revolted by them, their following, and their implications in games.

Neiteio

But I wouldn't have bought the figure, let alone all 3, for 3 times the cost you propose, if it wasn't tied to the extra content.

Bottomline.
No, the bottom line is that better deals come along all the time. Do you also moan and groan when some time after you bought a system at full price, it gets a discount or a bundle?

Arttemis

No, the bottom line is that better deals come along all the time. Do you also moan and groan when some time after you bought a system at full price, it gets a discount or a bundle?
Are you implying DLC or amiibos drop in price? Both seem like a rarity from what I've seen.

Neiteio

Are you implying DLC or amiibos drop in price? Both seem like a rarity from what I've seen.
No, I was saying they should release the game content as paid DLC at a lower price than the amiibo, and he was saying that would be unfair since he already bought the figurines at a higher price when he only wanted the game content. And I was saying that it's not unfair since he got a figurine out of it, so it's not like he got nothing, and even if he doesn't want the figurine, it's similar to how we buy other things at one price and then, some time later, better deals come along (in this case, the game content by itself at a lower cost).

Cuburt

You know who else is part of the problem? Scalpers and the people buying amiibos from them.

Neiteio

You know who else is part of the problem? Scalpers and the people buying amiibos from them.
Yep. That's one thing I won't do. Too much dignity to stoop that low and buy from scalpers, although I feel bad for parents who have a kid who desperately wants one for their birthday or Christmas. Sucks to have to say, "Sorry, honey, but some person snatched them all up and is selling them at 10x the cost." :-(

Cuburt

No, I was saying they should release the game content as paid DLC at a lower price than the amiibo, and he was saying that would be unfair since he already bought the figurines at a higher price when he only wanted the game content. And I was saying that it's not unfair since he got a figurine out of it, so it's not like he got nothing, and even if he doesn't want the figurine, it's similar to how we buy other things at one price and then, some time later, better deals come along (in this case, the game content by itself at a lower cost).

So if they put out amiibo cards tomorrow that cost the exact same price to fill the demand, then everything should be fair, right?

After all you are getting the cards, it's not like you get nothing.

They have exactly the same functionality except without a piece of molded plastic on top.

Neiteio

So if they put out amiibo cards tomorrow that cost the exact same price to fill the demand, then everything should be fair, right?

After all you are getting the cards, it's not like you get nothing.

They have exactly the same functionality except without a piece of molded plastic on top.
I imagine cards would cost a lot less than a plastic figurine. Not sure what you're saying.

Cuburt

I imagine cards would cost a lot less than a plastic figurine. Not sure what you're saying.

Cards obviously cost less to produce but that doesn't determine pricing.

A digital game costs less to distribute than a physical copy but that is not the sole determining factor of the price of a digital game, which often launches at exactly the same price as physical.

They don't have to cost the same price, but they can. If people are willing to pay, which they may be, then you could be paying the exact same price for the same functionality without the piece of plastic.

Neiteio

Cards obviously cost less to produce but that doesn't determine pricing.

A digital game costs less to distribute than a physical copy but that is not the sole determining factor of the price of a digital game, which often launches at exactly the same price as physical.

They don't have to cost the same price, but they can. If people are willing to pay, which they may be, then you could be paying the exact same price for the same functionality without the piece of plastic.
I mean, they could price the cards the same as the figures, but I think Nintendo would be savvy enough to know that people would think, "That doesn't seem like a comparable product," even if the functionality is the same. They'd probably cost more than a booster pack of regular cards, due to the NFC chip, but less than an amiibo figure.

MrBS

Well I got the last triple pack at my local. At least I'm going to use it rather than sell it. That's something right? Guys?
Sorry.

Would people really be willing to pay $35 for the ability to access all the content?
No, because it would be overpriced like you said. Why should I have to pay the same amount as people who wanted the physical toy just because I want the content they lock behind the toy? Those two people aren't getting the same amount of product, they shouldn't have to spend the same amount of money.

Top Bottom