• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Pro's Tournament Victory Speech Calls Out Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn some daggers of truth right there.

I expect it of nintendo considering they basically just walked away from the racing and fps genre when it was good for them. They care for nothing but what earns them money and even then they still suck on supporting those that support them.

It's not like that was within Nintendo's control, Howard Lincoln left Nintendo a mess in the west.

They just announced new Amiibo for it.

this post is going to be funny in like two weeks

Are you guys kidding or are you just not understanding what Hungrybox's criticism is about?

In case you don't know it's about how Nintendo doesn't support the game as far as visibility and esports. In that respect they don't do much for the current smash.

I don't really get what releasing amiibo or doing a port to Switch has to do with any of that. It's not just about supporting the game because that's what any publisher/developer tries to do for their game. His criticism is about supporting the scene and Nintendo does a piss poor job at it.

With the viewers Smash tournaments get, there's no reason why Smash isn't on channels like TBS or ESPN, except for the fact that Nintendo doesn't give a shit.

kirby_fox

Banned
This is why I avoid the tourney scene. There's cool people, and then there's guys like this that are way too intense about a video game.

Oh and it's the Melee community? From my experience, there are Smash fans and there are Melee fans. And there's a very big difference between the two.

Takyon

This is just a smash player high off a big win that has a tendency to be overbearing and grandiose. Don't read to much into it.

rhandino

Banned
This is not just a video game, this is a lifestyle.
UiIsbqe.gif

BlackJace

It's just annoying because sentiments like this have created this stupid schism in the fanbase. There exists Smash fans, and then Melee fans. The two are completely different communities and it's sad and weird.
This just reeks of self-victimization from a member of a community that caught feelings that Brawl and 4 weren't graphical/roster updates to Melee. Come on now.

zenspider

Good for him I guess? If that's how he feel, good on him for speaking his mind.

Really, it's amazing how strong the Smash community is without Nintendo's support. Maybe it's for the best.

While I am sympathetic to his concerns, it is clear that Nintendo has very different priorities than companies that focus primarily on fighting games like Capcom or ArcSys. That's just how it is and I can't really fault them for it.

From what I can remember HBox is a pretty cool guy and it sounds like he's talking about the Smash community at large here.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the reason why nintendo doesn't support this game anymore is because it was trash.

broken just like mario kart ds

move on

Mael

Why the fuck would they even bother making a Melee HD when SSB is already selling so well without the added cost a remaster would cause?
Might as well make the next SSB and call it a day, at least you're going to cut into the last SSB for a reason.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
ive played every smash since 64, and melee+smash4 in tournaments.
Seen the competitive scene grow from nothing to what we have now from the very start.

What are you basing your opinion on, because if you think they're comparable games then the ignorance kind of stands out.

They are comparable games because they fundamentally revolve around the same concepts that basically no other games do (except for Smash clones). The fact that Leffen & Armada were able to take their Melee skills and briefly play Smash 4 without much difficulty shows that. They didn't like how it played given how they play top-level Melee and stopped, but it doesn't change that fact. It still comes down to frame data, spacing, neutral/advantage/disadvantage, and trying to get your opponent's stock by knocking them off the stage/screen.

I've played both competitively before and I do agree that they do FEEL different and the strategies behind each thanks to their different mechanics are different. Melee is generally a more offensive and fast-paced game than Smash 4 is. People often prefer one style over the other because it's hard to play BOTH at a high level (M2K's inconsistency in some ways proves this).

It's just annoying because sentiments like this have created this stupid schism in the fanbase. There exists Smash fans, and then Melee fans. The two are completely different communities and it's sad and weird.
This just reeks of self-victimization from a member of a community that caught feelings that Brawl and 4 weren't graphical/roster updates to Melee. Come on now.
I don't think this is a Melee vs. Smash 4 thing in Hbox's opinion. He's actually one of the Melee players that heavily promotes and loves the Smash 4 scene.

Takyon

What about all the N64 and PM players? They're not just "smash" fans either, they are fans of the specific game and mechanics that they love and put time into. When people get competitive, it's inevitable that this will happen to some extent.
Even so, you still find that most melee people will be a fan of the general series in addition to their chosen "main" game.

Axass

I mean I understand him, he wants Nintendo to support his favourite 16 years old video game, just like Capcom and all the other fighting game devs are doing. That's why at EVO people will be playing SFV, Tekken 7, The King of Fighters XIV, Injustice 2, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, etc...

Asking Nintendo not to go against them, or try stopping Melee tournaments, absolutely he'd be goddamn right. Demanding that Nintendo support a 16 years old game is all kinds of ridiculous.

Melee isn't worth pushing

It's not worth it for Nintendo to push Smash as a dedicated fighting game bcause it'll make the game less fun and harder to play

Melee was great for both casual players and competitive which came much later.
Nobody except Nintendo themselves asked for a slower, floatier sequel with a random chance of tripping and removed single player modes.

RedShift

I'd much much rather just have smash 4 on Switch than a HD version of Melee that the Melee community will 100% immediately reject for some reason or another (eg PAL balance changes)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This.

Regardless of what you think of the quality, Melee and what Smash has become post-Brawl are entirely different games with distinct communities. The Melee community took it into their own hands to make Brawl into the sequel it should have been in the first place and Nintendo's response was to shut it down.

Hbox is right. It's absurd that they got Melee people to help them sell Smash 4 and still refuse to listen to the huge demand for an HD remaster.
There's never been a confirmation that's Project M was C&D'd. The actual developer stopped production of their own accord.

Majukun

I get the passion,but melee players should really stop thinking they know what's bets for the franchise and for nintendo

Dyle

Hbox is, for the most part right, but how the message was delivered was poor, mostly because SnS3 was the first major he's won in 6+ months. Nintendo is missing out on a lot of consumer good will by ignoring many of its fan communities. Whether it's Melee or speedrunning there are opportunities out there to improve customer loyalty and brand awareness that they are not capitalizing on.

Also Melee HD with online play would be a cheap and easy port that would absolutely move enough units to generate lots of revenue, would discourage people interested in joining the scene via netplay from pirating the game, and would not substantially cannabalize Smash 4 Deluxe sales given how drastically different the games are, in terms of content, gameplay, and polish. Do they need to support the Smash community? No, and Smash will be just fine without support from them, but they are leaving money and good will on the table by only being involved, in the most minor way, in Evo.

There's never been a confirmation that's Project M was C&D'd. The actual developer stopped production of their own accord.

From my understanding, they stopped production because they were afraid of Nintendo knocking on their doors.

And after seeing what happened to fan projects such as AM2R, their fears were probably justified.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You'd think he'd be rather happy with Nintendo's stance on the Melee scene since it's a constant rather than a variable.

jviggy43

Ill refer you to this

People making fun of the lifestyle argument, why? These pros make a living from doing this and it's a extreme passion for them. Doing what you love to do and making a career out of it is pretty much what everyone aspires to do so it's odd that some are critiquing it for being a lifestyle, which it very clearly is for these people.

Elaboration on what it is thats so funny would be great because I don't get why its such a laughable life style choice.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Melee was great for both casual players and competitive which came much later.
Nobody except Nintendo themselves asked for a slower, floatier sequel with a random chance of tripping and removed single player modes.

Right, and then they realized their mistake and made a much better sequel to Brawl with Smash 4. Not saying it's better than Melee, but it's just very different without impeding the competitive scene in any way. They balanced patched that game for over a year pretty much ENTIRELY for the competitive scene. The changes made didn't affect casual play in anyway.

From my understanding, they stopped production because they were afraid of Nintendo knocking on their doors.

And after seeing what happened to fan projects such as AM2R, their fears were probably justified.

The thing is PM had been around for years and generally was left alone. I think Nintendo had learned their lesson and was playing the careful game of "we won't explicitly support you, but as long you keep things as is we probably won't do anything".

Was this ever actually confirmed? All I remember was that there was a bunch of theories sounding it and why it actually ended. The devs were staying silent on it for a while.

It's pretty obvious why a company isn't going to put money into promoting tournaments of an old game. It's not going to benefit them in any way.

On top of that, both games that came after sold more copies than Melee, and while some of that has to do with the systems they're on, the other part is that most people don't give a shit about the competitiveness of Melee and enjoy Smash as a dumb fun party game.

I mean most developers stop supporting the past entries in franchises, but I understand where he is coming from. Nintendo doesnt really push professional Smash, when they should considering the numbers you get of people entering tournaments for both 4 and Melee. Its honestly baffling how many people are apart of the competitive scene and Nintendo is so hands off. Together Melee and 4 pretty much have bigger numbers than Street Fighter, and instead of capitalizing on it like any sane publisher of a fighting game franchise, they just don't seem to care to much besides a sponsorship for Evo.

Neoxon

Nintendo could capitalize on Melee with an HD port or a sequel that actually builds upon the gameplay instead of just lowering the skill ceiling.

There's really nothing wrong with what he says but I feel like this thread is just gonna turn into an echo chamber of "DAE hate competitive/Melee/tournament players?!?!" or "move on already!"
The most we're likely gonna get is the rumored Virtual Console release for Melee. If Smash 4 Deluxe turns out to be a thing, I doubt that Nintendo would want to steal its thunder (or ARMS's). I say this as someone who wants Sakurai & Bandai Namco to actually make a Smash 5 that's closer to Melee in gameplay.

collige

Banned
No lies detected, but we all know Nintendo is too proud to anything.

PM was dead in the water well before development stopped, largely due to being dropped by VGBC.

BlackJace

What about all the N64 and PM players? They're not just "smash" fans either, they are fans of the specific game and mechanics that they love and put time into. When people get competitive, it's inevitable that this will happen to some extent.
Even so, you still find that most melee people will be a fan of the general series in addition to their chosen "main" game.

You know that I mean that Melee is the standout title garners the most vocal community. There are people that also loved 64 more than any sequel...no shit.

What I'm saying is that Melee marked a point where the Smash community drove a wedge into itself and now no new Smash installment is met without dumbass infighting and constant comparison to Melee.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

The onus of shutting it down still falls on the developers. Otherwise we are just speculating

Mael

Hbox is, for the most part right, but how the message was delivered was poor, mostly because SnS3 was the first major he's won in 6+ months. Nintendo is missing out on a lot of consumer good will by ignoring many of its fan communities. Whether it's Melee or speedrunning there are opportunities out there to improve customer loyalty and brand awareness that they are not capitalizing on.

Also Melee HD with online play would be a cheap and easy port that would absolutely move enough units to generate lots of revenue, would discourage people interested in joining the scene via netplay from pirating the game, and would not substantially cannabalize Smash 4 Deluxe sales given how drastically different the games are, in terms of content, gameplay, and polish. Do they need to support the Smash community? No, and Smash will be just fine without support from them, but they are leaving money and good will on the table by only being involved, in the most minor way, in Evo.
Nah, they're awfully similar to anyone but the dedicated community who can't stop talking about it.
They could do a move like ATVI did with CoD:MWR lately but otherwise?
It would be a nice gesture to the community (and would include any patch made for the PAL version because that's how Nintendo handles remasters/ports/stuffs).
Asking them to basically port to the newest system a HD port of a nearly 2 decades old game instead of the latest one that is STILL being supported makes no sense for anyone but the fan of the HD ported game.

What I'm saying is that Melee marked a point where the Smash community drove a wedge into itself and now no new Smash installment is met without dumbass infighting and constant comparison to Melee.

Maybe Sakurai shouldn't of completely changed the core gameplay with Brawl in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom