• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Pro's Tournament Victory Speech Calls Out Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunonabi

PM gained traction with Melee players, so precedent had been evidenced.

That was the melee fanbase jerking themselves off and proving they know better so I doubt they would be nearly as receptive to the kind of tweaks Nintendo would actually make.

Seriously, I don't get why so many people are compelled to shit on someone for playing their favorite game and wanting more of it.

Their favorite game still exists. It's there for them to play, forever. Nintendo doesn't have the need nor the obligation to try and make an iteration of a nearly 15 year old game that is exactly like it.

udivision

The ironic part about Hungrybox saying this is that he's one of the top Smashers with an (engineering?) job that's likely his primary income... Also, Nintendo HAS supported Smash 4 and has been a ton better about these tourney scenes lately (even those with Melee). Kind of weird to bring this up now as opposed to back in 2013, when they seemingly were working against the scene. Since then Bill Trinen has showed up at tourneys and tweeted about them and stuff.

I think there's this gap between "Only Support Smash 4" and "Only Support Melee" that people are glossing over.

Sure, if it's either one or the other, than it makes sense to only support Smash 4.

But why would it be one or the other?

The other thing is that Melee is more popular as an eSport than Smash 4, despite Nintendo's support for the new game. And that's the same for Splatoon, and probably will be the same for ARMS.

Nintendo is in this weird position where they want to create a new eSport, but they can't quite achieve the (esport) popularity of something they made decades ago, but they also can't exploit, er support that decades old scene either.

smash fans proving once again to be the most cancerous community

Ironic phrasing considering the absurd longevity of the Smash community (which is the cause of this whole debate).

A sincere question about "the life style" reactions in the first page.

How is that much different than a Youtuber that gets 1000s in Patreon support, product donations from it's audience on top of the add revenew, just to play videogames? i mean people is supporting that "life style" after all.

There is no game that plays like Street Fighter 3 in the Street Fighter series for a long time. Does it mean that people sticks with it ? No, They played Street 4 and Street 5 and moved along
There's a memetic nickname for SFV among some Japanese players, "Duty Fighter V", that refers to an obligation for them to play the latest mainline SF rather than because they actually enjoy the game.

Who's the bigger sucker here, the people who stick with a game they love that will never receive developer support, or the ones who begrudgingly go with the one that actually brings home the cheddar? This isn't a rhetorical question btw

Oersted

This is like some pro wrestler who thinks he just cut a sick promo but doesn't realize he just made the entire audience cringe

tumblr_nk975ylkc41srbyoyo1_500.gif

JoeInky

I don't get exactly what he's asking for.

I guess it's just supposed to be some general speech about how they've never supported melee but, we know, nothing he's saying is worth saying.

As a ST and VS player, I don't expect Capcom to put money into my events. That's the thing with legacy games: once the new one's out the company moves on.

You either choose to stay with that game with minimum to no support or you move onto the next game that could be drastically different from the original you loved.

I don't think they're ever asking for too much that Nintendo wouldn't benefit from anyways. Put some money into the pot, help out with setting up tournaments and/or just straight up make a Melee HD. They'd get tons of goodwill and if Melee HD is cheap they'd easily get close to a million sales, especially if it comes out before the next Smash.

They could really capitalize off one of the most popular fighting games of all time.

Timeaisis

I like Hungrybox, but come on. Nintendo has a lot of shit to worry about outside of Smash bros. It sells great, unlike Street Fighter. And Smash Melee doesn't matter, anymore. Capcom is doubling down on the competitive scene because it makes business sense (well, kind of, but not really). Nintendo doesn't need to do that with Smash because it's already incredibly popular and there exists a grassroots community of competitive players.

I get that it's like annoying that the publisher doesn't push out like a tournament league thing like SFV and Overwatch or whatever, but seems like a misuse of resources to me. Especially with Melee. That's just a money hole right there.

robot

I don't think they're ever asking for too much that Nintendo wouldn't benefit from anyways. Put some money into the pot, help out with setting up tournaments and/or just straight up make a Melee HD. They'd get tons of goodwill and if Melee HD is cheap they'd easily get close to a million sales, especially if it comes out before the next Smash.

I'd be willing to bet the community would find things wrong with an HD version and go right back to what they're playing.

Rutger

Banned
If the one change put in place was the removal of wavedashing you'd have the Melee faithful reject the game. A lot of the complaints just sound like a community that mastered one game but won't learn to adapt to the new entries.

Smash 4 is a damn fine Smash Bros. game and wasn't this guy even at the E3 tournament?

You say that as if removing wavedashing is like changing a single move on a character and not like say removing airdashing in Guilty Gear, haha.

Of course the "Melee faithful" would reject a game that doesn't play like what they love.

Anura

People bringing up "but street fighter!" don't seem to realize how different Smash 4 and Melee are. The difference between the two Smash games isn't like the difference between something like SF3/4 and SFV at all. It has more common with trying to go from playing Marvel to playing SF.

If he means Smash in general then yeah they don't support the scene as much as they should and it's really sad.

If he means just Melee though it makes sense because that game is over a decade old. No company is still support games that old. Move on or accept what it is and keep playin Melee.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's nice that Capcom supports their competitive fighting game scene, but by no means does that mean Nintendo should be forced to do so.

I'm fairly certain Nintendo views Super Smash Bros. as a party game first and foremost. On top of that most of the diehard SSB players are playing a Smash game from 16 years ago; Nintendo wants to promote their new software, not software from almost two decades ago.

Edit: Oh shit, he's a Melee player? Well that definitely cinches it. That's like asking Capcom to sponsor Marvel vs. Capcom 2 matches. The game is 16 years old now. You're welcome to keep playing it competitive, but expecting the developer/publisher to support you in doing so is a bit much.

Edit: Also, a videogame as a lifestyle...yikes. Broaden your horizons, man.

Jamie OD

A sincere question about "the life style" reactions in the first page.

How is that much different than a Youtuber that gets 1000s in Patreon support, product donations from it's audience on top of the add revenew, just to play videogames? i mean people is supporting that "life style" after all.

I'm taking a wild guess that the people on the first page would have similar reaction to Youtubers.

zelas

Why would Nintendo put money into a game that they have no ability to sell. Learn a new game if you want this.

I mean you can support the league by developing a game that more aligns with the community's wants. There's more than just one alternative here.

Eidan

People bringing up "but street fighter!" don't seem to realize how different Smash 4 and Melee are. The difference between the two Smash games isn't like the difference between something like SF3/4 and SFV at all. It has more common with trying to go from playing Marvel to playing SF.

The very fact that you lobbed SFIII and SFIV together makes me think that it's absolutely true that the difference between Smash titles is much like the differences between SF titles.

Smasher89

Having to recomend newcomers to either probably a 100 dollar copy of the game, or getting it in other ways(emulate) is kinda bad, also the game is optimized for CRT, so a HD release (no need for new textures) that runs perfecly on flat screens would save all the TOs a ton of backs carrying 50-100+ CRT's for the major tournaments!

Online as the other improvement would be justifying a rerelease of the game!

The part about splatoon and Arms, we dont know if Switch can even be played at all in a esports enviroment, as far as we know now, there is only wireless controllers, which brings their own issues(more then input lag) when high in numbers in a decently small area.
Right now the "esports marketing" is just that, a marketing stunt.

I'd be willing to bet the community would find things wrong with an HD version and go right back to what they're playing.

If Nintendo does a poor job at porting it, sure, it's possible. If Nintendo can't port Melee with it's popular mechanics intact the blame is on them. Contrary to popular belief I'm sure that if the port had some little things off the community would still gladly play it for the sheer convenience of not having to carry CRTs everywhere alongside a ton of Gamecubes and Melee discs.

Anura

The very fact that you lobbed SFIII and SFIV together makes me think that it's absolutely true that the difference between Smash titles is much like the differences between SF titles.

I lumped them together not because I thought they were similar but because people are always telling others to "move on" to the most recent version. Nice try though

Alucrid

Banned

when you know that a smash player only plays smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom