• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Pro's Tournament Victory Speech Calls Out Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

New002

Are they mad that Nintendo doesn't recognize and support smash as a competitive game? Or that Nintendo doesn't support Melee that way?

The former I can sympathize with. The latter not so much. Do others developers really sink money into supporting old versions of their fighting game franchises?

Nintendo supported Smash 4 for a pretty long time (or at least paid for Namco-Bandai to support it with oversight). Not sure what else can be expected of them now that the company as a whole moved on from that platform.

Smash is in the weird place of not necessarily being seen as a fighting game first by Nintendo like Capcom's games are. They may benefit from supporting SF for perpetuity, but Nintendo's probably more interested in the crossover potential.

Not really, they provided sometimes setup for huge tournament, but most of the tournaments you see are just sponsorised but Nintendo and that's it

NateDrake

The whole "well, people should just move on from Melee already!" thing gets to me because, when you think about it, they really don't have anything to move on to. Brawl and Smash 4 play radically different from Melee. That is why the fanbase has been split in two.

I still think if Nintendo/Sakurai/whatever just made a new Smash Bros. game that retained most of the cast from Smash 4, but changed the core gameplay to become the true successor to Melee's fast paced and technical gameplay, both camps would be satisfied and we'd finally be under one flag again, like every other fighting game series.

In other words, don't blame Melee's community for not moving on, guys. Blame it on Nintendo and Sakurai for not producing a proper followup to Melee, gameplay wise.
No they wouldn't. The Melee community will stay with Melee forever. If the did Melee HD and changed one minor thing, the community would reject it.

The whole "well, people should just move on from Melee already!" thing gets to me because, when you think about it, they really don't have anything to move on to. Brawl and Smash 4 play radically different from Melee. That is why the fanbase has been split in two.

I still think if Nintendo/Sakurai/whatever just made a new Smash Bros. game that retained most of the cast from Smash 4, but changed the core gameplay to become the true successor to Melee's fast paced and technical gameplay, both camps would be satisfied and we'd finally be under one flag again, like every other fighting game series.

In other words, don't blame Melee's community for not moving on, guys. Blame it on Nintendo and Sakurai for not producing a proper followup to Melee, gameplay wise.

Seriously, I don't get why so many people are compelled to shit on someone for playing their favorite game and wanting more of it.

No they wouldn't. The Melee community will stay with Melee forever. If the did Melee HD and changed one minor thing, the community would reject it.

What makes you say that?

If Brawl was basically Project M but an official game, Melee would of died forever ago.

MisterHero

Yeah I'm sure playing Marth/Fox/etc. exactly as they were in the early 2000s is the next big step for Nintendo.

Charamiwa

Banned
Yeah I'm sure Nintendo is about to promote this 16 year old game for the Gamecube any minute now.

Would make more sense to see how they treat Smash Wii U.

In other words, don't blame Melee's community for not moving on, guys. Blame it on Nintendo and Sakurai for not producing a proper followup to to their game, gameplay wise.

There is no game that plays like Street Fighter 3 in the Street Fighter series for a long time. Does it mean that people sticks with it ? No, They played Street 4 and Street 5 and moved along

Torokil

Really fuckin' lame speech, also most likely boils down to him wanting more money from a Nintendo moneyhatted prize pool.

SoulUnison

Banned
Welp, this is it, we've reached peak Melee pretentiousness.

I swear, this isn't even really about the game.

There's just a small, vocal population of gamers who are very, very upset that the calendar moved past 2001, and they demand we create some sort of living time capsule for them to exist comfortably in.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
that's like saying Pokken got a huge esports push by Nintendo because of that one tournament they held at the Nintendo Store in NY
This one has more to do with TPC. Nintendo did host a bunch of events throughout the lifetime of the first Splatoon.

NateDrake

What makes you say that?

If Brawl was basically Project M but an official game, Melee would of died forever ago.

If the one change put in place was the removal of wavedashing you'd have the Melee faithful reject the game. A lot of the complaints just sound like a community that mastered one game but won't learn to adapt to the new entries.

Smash 4 is a damn fine Smash Bros. game and wasn't this guy even at the E3 tournament?

Chindogg

Seriously, I don't get why so many people are compelled to shit on someone for playing their favorite game and wanting more of it.

As a ST and VS player, I don't expect Capcom to put money into my events. That's the thing with legacy games: once the new one's out the company moves on.

You either choose to stay with that game with minimum to no support or you move onto the next game that could be drastically different from the original you loved.

Firestorm

In other words, don't blame Melee's community for not moving on, guys. Blame it on Nintendo and Sakurai for not producing a proper followup to to their game, gameplay wise.
Street Fighter.

It's fine to stick to the old game, but why complain that a company isn't supporting a game they no longer sell on a platform they no longer make? They could push Smash 4 which draws more participants than Melee and maybe make a Switch port of that instead.
This one has more to do with TPC. Nintendo did host a bunch of events throughout the lifetime of the first Splatoon.
TPCi hosted Pokken tournaments across North America and Europe as part of the Pokemon Championship Series with it leading into a Pokken event as part of their World Championships.

Fancolors

The future of the Melee community probably lies within Dolphin. It's probably better this way

Nanashrew

Banned
that's like saying Pokken got a huge esports push by Nintendo because of that one tournament they held at the Nintendo Store in NY

Blame on this one goes to TPC. You'd think they would have handled it better seeing as TPC oversees tournaments for all things Pokemon.

Sephzilla

This is like some pro wrestler who thinks he just cut a sick promo but doesn't realize he just made the entire audience cringe

dezzy8

They need to adapt just like every other community does. The Capcom fighting game community all bitched about new entries to SF and MvC but they all still supported and played it. They adapted so that they can make it their "lifestyle" to play for a living. Nobody expects Capcom to push SFIV anymore. Shit they dropped it from EVO as soon as SFV came out. People complained but they all moved on to SFV. Melee players need to let it go. Just let it go or don't complain when it doesn't get support.

I think it's best to ignore comments like that. They either don't know what they're talking about or are just trolling.

Alucrid

Banned

i'm sure if they wanted to they could piggyback off the idea something like overwatch contenders for splatoon or capcom cup / injustice 2 series for arms, but they probably won't because they don't care that much.

good thing melee is on saturday at evo lol

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
They made the game you love and make a living from.

Come on, dude.

The ironic part about Hungrybox saying this is that he's one of the top Smashers with an (engineering?) job that's likely his primary income... Also, Nintendo HAS supported Smash 4 and has been a ton better about these tourney scenes lately (even those with Melee). Kind of weird to bring this up now as opposed to back in 2013, when they seemingly were working against the scene. Since then Bill Trinen has showed up at tourneys and tweeted about them and stuff.

Im not surprised Nintendo doesnt support Smash

Just like Mario Party, Smash is a party game first and foremost. Its not meant to be played competitively.

LotusHD

Banned
"How come Nintendo don't want me man?"

tumblr_m5g3gv4OUG1qm15teo10_r2_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom