• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Responds To Smash Bros. Pro's Callout, Wants To Keep Scene Grassroots

Makonero

One of the world's top Super Smash Bros. players recently knocked Nintendo for not sufficiently supporting the scene and said he hoped that Nintendo heard him. This week in Los Angeles, they did—after we played a clip of his speech to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.

Juan ”Hungrybox" Debiedma, a top-three-ranked Super Smash Bros. Melee pro, called Nintendo out a couple of weeks ago in his victory speech at Wisconsin tournament Smash ‘N' Splash 3: ”A certain company that acknowledges us but refuses to push us—I hope you're listening right now, because I want you to hear this," he said, as a room packed with players and fans cheered. ”I want you to hear the amount of people who support this league, the amount of people who want this to be a lifestyle for people. This is not just a video game. This is a lifestyle! All right?"

Listening to a recording of Debiedma's entreaty in a Los Angeles meeting room at E3 this week, Fils-Aime said: ”I love passionate Smash fans."
”I will say this," [Reggie] added. ”Five, six, seven years ago, as we engaged with our developers and talked to them about Smash Bros. and what was happening, there was not a lot of understanding about this space. And it's been people like [Nintendo of America's] Bill Trinen and JC Rodrigo and all of these folks who understand the space that have helped us educate our company and educate our developers around the benefits of engaging with the community and empowering and enabling this to happen.

”It was with the most recent Smash Bros. that we've done more tournaments and we're supporting both the Melee community as well as the Smash Bros. Wii U community and they're both vibrant and are continuing to grow."

Nintendo just doesn't want to do a league. Fils-Aime said as much to me when describing the company's philosophy about competitive gaming: ”It's community-oriented. It's enabling the community to drive it forward. We have relationships, obviously, with entities like Evo and Battlefly. We want to do this much more at a grassroots level than others' visions around leagues and big up-front payments and things of that nature."

Hungrybox had already seen Nintendo downplay the idea of making an official league, so he's not expecting it to happen, certainly not for Melee, which isn't even the Smash game that Nintendo seems most interested in promoting.

”I hope the best for the future and I respect Reggie and the Nintendo execs more than words can describe," he said. ”It just is always a dismay for our parent company to not see a venture in the same golden light we've been viewing it for over a decade."

Please read the rest here

I think it's a very rational response. Nintendo wants their games to cause communities to grow for their games if the interest is there. They want the communities to thrive from their own work while sponsoring certain bigger events such as Evo.

It sounds like they support what they're doing but as a company they don't want to invest the money. Which I can't really argue with.

Honestly for Smash in particular I feel like Nintendo throwing in more explicit support than they've already done by sponsoring major tournaments or the like would ultimately be more likely to piss off the competitive community by taking power away from their hands

Before the thread devolves into "entitled Melee fans need to MOVE ON" and other 4chan tier posts, I'd like to say that I wholeheartedly agree with Hungrybox. I feel like he's in the right and I wish Nintendo would do more to make Smash as whole reach it's potential. Same thing with Pokken and Splatoon really. And ARMS lol

woodland

E sports isn't a part of nintendos brand and people should learn to accept that.

I mean they're obviously a kid-friendly company, but they're trending towards adding more and more tournaments/competitive titles with Splatoon, ARMS, etc.

They're not gonna support Mêlée since they want these people to move on, but "grassroots" and "esports isn't nintendos brand" are pretty bad excuses with the current scene.

Edit: obvs I agree with HungryBox, it may be late for mêlée but shame on them for shit support previously.

I mean they're obviously a kid-friendly company, but they're trending towards adding more and more tournaments/competitive titles with Splatoon, ARMS, etc.

Obviously they're not gonna support Mêlée since they want these people to move on, but "grassroots" and "esports isn't nintendos brand" are pretty bad excuses with the current scene.

Edit: obvs I agree with HungryBox, it may be late for mêlée but shame on them for shit support previously.

Except they do support games like Melee by sponsoring major tournaments like evo. I'm not really sure what Hungrybox wants except maybe them throwing a huge amount of money in the pot, which would ultimately really only benefit the top 8-16 players anyways (which would include Hungrybox so no shit he wants it)

Pizza

Before the thread devolves into "entitled Melee fans need to MOVE ON" and other 4chan tier posts, I'd like to say that I wholeheartedly agree with Hungrybox. I feel like he's in the right and I wish Nintendo would do more to make Smash as whole reach it's potential.

I think a huge part of the issue is the guy who insists on making the whole game himself. Dude just actively works against the tournament/competitive scene and has been pretty transparent about that since Brawl.

Arms, Pokken Tournament, and Spla2n have been championed as games with high skill ceilings because that's why they're made. Smash is purposefully a training wheels baby game. Even if it's GOOD just look at the game as a /whole/ and it's super obvious. Fucking Mario Kart is made with more competition in mind.

I think if the game ever gets a new director there will be a clear shift away from extraneous modes, cumbersome custom moves, and unplayable stages

phanphare

Banned
that's actually a great response from Reggie

did they update his PR software or something? between this and the Metroid stuff he's been saying all the right things

Hero

that's actually a great response from Reggie

did they update his PR software or something? between this and the Metroid stuff he's been saying all the right things

Nintendo is finally changing for the good (for the most part). They are a very traditional and conservative company which is why they drag their feet with things.

And it's been people like [Nintendo of America's] Bill Trinen and JC Rodrigo and all of these folks who understand the space that have helped us educate our company and educate our developers around the benefits of engaging with the community and empowering and enabling this to happen.

This tells me Nintendo is/are still learning how to interact with communities that grow up around their more competitive IP. By having them support places like EVO, and hosting their own tournaments, this seems like the farthest they are going to go to interact with the community. For now at least. Baby steps towards that direction is acceptable, and in more recent years, their increased interest is still a vastly big improvement over them being silent for most of N64/Melee/Brawl's life cycles.

Except they do support games like Melee by sponsoring major tournaments like evo. I'm not really sure what Hungrybox wants except maybe them throwing a huge amount of money in the pot, which would ultimately really only benefit the top 8-16 players anyways (which would include Hungrybox so no shit he wants it)

Agreed, this is a totally valid point of view of the situation regarding HungryBox.

There are also Pokémon world championships. I think they're probably just not interested in doing this for Smash on the terms of its community, particularly if the scene is stagnant.

Sure, I would pin zero hopes on NoA or NoJ clawing back their Melee/Smash4 fanbase by sponsoring a Pro Tour like Capcom does, those ships sailed a long ass time ago. But I part of what Reggie is saying is that they're trying to make future commitments to the competitive scene a little more serious, the launch trailer for the Switch seemed to suggest that the lessons were sinking in a little bit, even if the actual message behind that Splatoon scene is the trailer ends up "gosh I sure hope somebody else does this for you Nintendo fans!"

Takat

I think it's a plan for Nintendo down the road, but I assume fans will be upset when it's not the games they want to be supported.

Also, Nintendo has a vested interest in releasing entries to series every console generation, so they can't really focus on one entry more than a generation.

Nairume

Banned
I think if the game ever gets a new director there will be a clear shift away from extraneous modes, cumbersome custom moves, and unplayable stages
I don't think it's entirely fair to lay that all at Sakurai, nor do I think they would just suddenly go away once he leaves the series. The crazy extra stuff is just as much a part of Smash's DNA as the fighting game itself.

I think a huge part of the issue is the guy who insists on making the whole game himself. Dude just actively works against the tournament/competitive scene and has been pretty transparent about that since Brawl.

Arms, Pokken Tournament, and Spla2n have been championed as games with high skill ceilings because that's why they're made. Smash is purposefully a training wheels baby game. Even if it's GOOD just look at the game as a /whole/ and it's super obvious. Fucking Mario Kart is made with more competition in mind.

Yeah definitely. I don't get why Sakurai initially rejected the scene and has remained lukewarm on it. The fact that a competitive scene exists doesn't make the entry bar any higher retroactively. I respect the dude for the love he puts into the characters and all that, but trying to ward off the competitive fans for whatever reason comes off as really arrogant and petty.

Why would nintendo want to support a version of the game that's three console generations old, that you cannot buy anymore, rather than the current iteration?

Pizza

I don't think it's entirely fair to lay that all at Sakurai, nor do I think they would just suddenly go away once he leaves the series. The crazy extra stuff is just as much a part of Smash's DNA as the fighting game itself.

I don't think another fighting game would have a pass if they slowed the whole thing down and added tripping. That was a direct result of sakurai not liking high level competitive play

All the wacky stuff was added for brawl and hyperfocused on in 4. Melee had like five fine-tuned modes and a high skill ceiling

Idk, he got pretty much all the credit for melee and made brawl as hard as he could. He can design some hella movesets and has tons of good ideas, but I feel like he has George Lucas syndrome and is put on a super weird pedestal where other people doing the same thing with their fighting games would be annihilated

collige

Banned
Why would nintendo want to support a version of the game that's three console generations old, that you cannot buy anymore, rather than the current iteration?

They idea is that they would also make an HD port of the game for the Switch. The scene would still be grassroots then, just with 100% less ancient hardware.

Makonero

I don't think another fighting game would have a pass if they slowed the whole thing down and added tripping. That was a direct result of sakurai not liking high level competitive play

All the wacky stuff was added for brawl and hyperfocused on in 4. Melee had like five fine-tuned modes and a high skill ceiling

Idk, he got pretty much all the credit for melee and made brawl as hard as he could. He can design some hella movesets and has tons of good ideas, but I feel like he has George Lucas syndrome and is put on a super weird pedestal where other people doing the same thing with their fighting games would be annihilated

maybe because to sakurai it is first and foremost a party game and a fighting game second hmmmm

Smash isn't really about high skill ceiling.

Its about the Characters and its legacy with Nintendo. As long as it plays like Smash, its not gonna start a riot. Its a vocal minority

sibarraz

Banned
They idea is that they would also make an HD port of the game for the Switch. The scene would still be grassroots then, just with 100% less ancient hardware.

At this point I feel that the melee scene will rather include items than playing in any other thing than a gamecube

True Fire

Nintendo doesn't even have voice chat or trophies, you're asking for a blizzard in the desert if you want heavy eSports support.

collige

Banned
At this point I feel that the melee scene will rather include items than playing in any other thing than a gamecube

There's really no reason whatsoever to believe that, especially because the Melee scene uses Wiis just as much for tournaments and also plays online on PC.

Durden77

Nintendo has come a very long way in a short amount of time from not even wanting Smash streamed at Evo, to sponsoring Evo themselves and encouraging these type of communities. I think even more so now with there pushes with Arms and Splatoon.

I can definitely understand Hungrybox's frustration, but Nintendo has been making a pretty strong effort to understand and support this stuff. This is new to them, and there's no way they could have expected this kind of thing for Smash, and have just caught on to it a few years ago and making an effort to adapt. They are learning as they go.

Joey Ravn

Banned

I'm positively sure that won't be the case. Melee players will continue to play regular Melee and shun Melee HD, just like Street Fighter II players continue to play that game, not HD Remix.

udivision

Understandable, I guess.

We couldn't have had something like the Smash 4 Civil War sponsored by Nintendo. They were able to have top-tier production value... and copyright infringement.

Competitive Smash guts so much of the game, though. Doesn't benefit Nintendo when large swathes of the game can't get visibility (i.e.: free marketing). Introduce a bracket with full items (sans Hearts and Stars) and full stages, and play the game in a way more people can actually relate to.

soultron

Banned
Nintendo will use staged eSports format presentations as an extension of marketing efforts for current titles and nothing outside of that. To expect anything else is foolish, IMO.

collige

Banned
I'm positively sure that won't be the case. Melee players will continue to play regular Melee and shun Melee HD, just like Street Fighter II players continue to play that game, not HD Remix.

Again, why do you think that wouldn't be the case? I'm entirely unfamiliar with the changes made to SF2HD. The pro this thread is about has repeatedly expressed desire for such a game happening and he as well as virtually every other top level player regularly practice on a modded, HD, online enabled version of the game anyway which is essentially what an optimized port would be.

Tomohawk

Melee is the 2nd most popular fighting game inspite of everything working against it. By not investing in one way or the other nintendo is losing out and I dont buy this grass roots PR bullshit. The grassroots has proven theres alot of interest and now its nintendos job to step in and fuel that growth, but they wont because nintendo of japan has some dumb ideas.

Based on what? A Melee HD would bring in plenty of fresh blood into the scene by making it far more easier to join it. Melee fans play on CRTS because it's the best option. Dolphin isn't 100% accurate and just connecting a Gamecube/Wii to a monitor/HDTV adds horrendous upscale lag, something a Melee HD wouldn't have to deal with.

Top Bottom