• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series x could cost $400

Jtibh

Banned
And that not a bad thing they will support it for like 2 years there are still people who just bought the One X from like last year so supporting it for a little longer is super consumer friendly why is that a bad thing it not like it effect any 3rd party games the people mad over it is probably Playstation people who does not play on a Xbox anyway.
Its a good thing but also means a lot longer transition into true next gen

Its a good thing but also means a lot longer transition into true next gen
How one version of the game is design for the Xbox One wile the other version is design for Next Gen and let me remind you it is for 1st party Microsoft studio own games only not 3rd party so it will not hold anything back.

Jtibh

Banned
How one version of the game is design for the Xbox One wile the other version is design for Next Gen and let me remind you it is for 1st party Microsoft studio own games only not 3rd party so it will not hold anything back.
I trully hope so.
I hope this last reveal that included all third party titles is not representative of what to expect before we fully switch over to next gen only.
Though the medium which cought my eyes is series x only so either its far out or we will have full next gen titles sooner then we though.
One can only hope.

I trully hope so.
I hope this last reveal that included all third party titles is not representative of what to expect before we fully switch over to next gen only.
Though the medium which cought my eyes is series x only so either its far out or we will have full next gen titles sooner then we though.
One can only hope.
Those games that was shown are 3rd party MS said only their 1st party studio games will support Xbox One for up to 2 years 3rd party games studio do not have to support the Xbox One if they do not want to people need to quit getting confuse over 1st party and 3rd party games studios.

MCplayer

Xbox instastory
d25UR7c.jpg

Jtibh

Banned
Those games that was shown are 3rd party MS said only their 1st party studio games will support Xbox One for up to 2 years 3rd party games studio do not have to support the Xbox One if they do not want to people need to quit getting confuse over 1st party and 3rd party games studios.
I know .
I am not confused well a bit cuz everything is all over the place but if we say for fun that only first parties will support old consoles for the next 2 or 3 years and third party will release only on next gen then there will be no point to keep or buy the old systems.
And if that will happen i can see first party also to go next gen only if they are 2 years out like we heard from microsoft.

I dont know but i say we have to move past current gen maybe force out crossgen for the first year and then just give it a rest.
I want microsoft to be a force to recon with and i want them to show sony they way so we all win as both will have to compete but if lets say sony comes out day one with ps5 only game that blows everything away xbox can show off due to crossgen i think all that power wont matter as the consumer will see a large gap in visuals and might make their choise easier which to pick.

I know .
I am not confused well a bit cuz everything is all over the place but if we say for fun that only first parties will support old consoles for the next 2 or 3 years and third party will release only on next gen then there will be no point to keep or buy the old systems.
And if that will happen i can see first party also to go next gen only if they are 2 years out like we heard from microsoft.

I dont know but i say we have to move past current gen maybe force out crossgen for the first year and then just give it a rest.
I want microsoft to be a force to recon with and i want them to show sony they way so we all win as both will have to compete but if lets say sony comes out day one with ps5 only game that blows everything away xbox can show off due to crossgen i think all that power wont matter as the consumer will see a large gap in visuals and might make their choise easier which to pick.
Xbox is supporting Xbox One for up to 2 years into next gen cause not everyone upgrade right away people wait that fine and Xbox decided to support those people their customer who have gamepass and what not with new 1st party games for up to 2 more years it is for those people that do not upgrade right away day 1 if you are the people that will upgrade day 1 than it does not concern you as you will enjoy next gen games on your next gen system.

12Dannu123

Xbox is supporting Xbox One for up to 2 years into next gen cause not everyone upgrade right away people wait that fine and Xbox decided to support those people their customer who have gamepass and what not with new 1st party games for up to 2 more years it is for those people that do not upgrade right away day 1 if you are the people that will upgrade day 1 than it does not concern you as you will enjoy next gen games on your next gen system.

Agreed, if you end support of 1st party games on a subscription service and make it only exclusive to a next gen console. It will cause fragmentation. Something that no company wants to deal with. Why would Microsoft want to leave behind 10 Million Subscribers?

When Sony wants to gain any foothold in the Netflix-subscription space, they will have this problem as well.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Agreed, if you end support of 1st party games on a subscription service and make it only exclusive to a next gen console. It will cause fragmentation. Something that no company wants to deal with. Why would Microsoft want to leave behind 10 Million Subscribers?

When Sony wants to gain any foothold in the Netflix-subscription space, they will have this problem as well.
Sony has along way to go with psnow. Ita getting better but nowhere near gamepass level.
Therefor for sony its important to sell hardware. First . So they have to show what its capable off from day one where as xbox has some wiggle room.
But this is what i mean. You will have sony games destroy everything that xbox has to show at the beginning regardless of its weaker hardware as it wont be limited to the lowest common denominator.
And that might impact xbox hardware sales.

But again its just me speculating . We will know more in a month.

iHaunter

Highly highly doubt it. Will be interested to see the prices and how efficient their building processes are.

I expect XSX to be $500
I expect PS5 to be $550 (Due to controller)

12Dannu123

Sony has along way to go with psnow. Ita getting better but nowhere near gamepass level.
Therefor for sony its important to sell hardware. First . So they have to show what its capable off from day one where as xbox has some wiggle room.
But this is what i mean. You will have sony games destroy everything that xbox has to show at the beginning regardless of its weaker hardware as it wont be limited to the lowest common denominator.
And that might impact xbox hardware sales.

But again its just me speculating . We will know more in a month.

The question is: When the next next Gen Console is coming, would Sony make their games exclusives to their next next gen console? Doing so would abandon millions of subscribers. TBH I've said it here multiple times. I don't see any route where Sony can become a dominate player in the Subscription/Cloud Streaming market outside of Consoles. There are huge barriers for Sony to get through.

Last edited:

Relativ9

Okay, we need to clear the air on this because it's a long-running notion with real-world decisions that are the complete opposite of it. As in, if Xbox as a brand was not important to the company, why would they spend multi-millions of dollars in purchasing/setting up at least 15 studios, many of them new, specifically for gaming content? Why are they spending half a billion dollars on a single game in Halo: Infinite (granted that definitely probably includes marketing costs and engine costs as well)?

That doesn't sound like a company which has almost no regard for a gaming division to me. Yes compared to their other divisions like Windows, Office and server markets the Xbox side is not worth as much, but that is all relative. If the division were not worth it t them, they would not have pursued development into XSX and (allegedly) Lockhart to the level they have, either. Simply building a mid/top-range gaming PC in a box as a next-gen Steam machine at an affordable price would've been enough, no need to custom design an APU with AMD or tailor a specific implementation of their OS for just a gaming device if that were the case.

As for their historical tendencies for hardware subsidizing, well we know that wasn't the case with 360 as they sold it for at least a $125 loss (on the Premium model). The XBO sold at-cost, and we don't know what their intentions with the XSX are in that regard. However, Seeing as how the 360 and XBO had similar BOMs ($525, $471), and that XSX is already said to have a BOM of around $460 (could be a bit higher or a bit lower), and that we know for sure XBO was the first MS console sold at-cost at launch, I think it's fair to say the OG Xbox may've had a BOM notably north of its $299 MSRP. The fact the DVD remote had to be purchased separately at $30 to enable DVD playback is somewhat indicative of this (plus MS trying to pinch pennies on costs).

We all know that MS's pricing and marketing strategy with the XBO at launch was not what it needed to be, it was not positioned as a gaming-orientated device and the MSRP (as well as the design) reflected that. We also know MS is steering away from that this time around, so they are more likely to price XSX with at least a small loss per system sold. General BOM estimates seem to have it between $460 to $480 or so, going by sources like the Bloomberg article. Keeping that in mind and the reality that they have willingly taken subsidized hardware losses on the 360 and very likely OG Xbox as well, the probability they price XSX at least as low as $449 is honestly pretty favorable right now, even with Lockhart possibly being a thing.

It's much less likely they will price it at $399 because there is the chance of Lockhart happening, plus additional software and services-based means of subsidization they can use to supplement instead like Gamepass, but there's two historical precedents of them willing to take a noticeable loss on each system sold, versus one where they didn't (that one currently being the exception, not the rule). Since I don't think the OG Xbox had a BOM in excess of $100 over the MSRP, if the XSX follows either previous system's MSRP strategy it'd likely be OG Xbox's just...without needing you to spring $30 for a feature-accessing remote this time :p

Who said they're working towards a console-free future? They are probably working towards a future where console development costs are not as pricey as they are today and have traditionally been, which would mean some sort of tech medium has to be eventually established, but the idea of a console as a device to play the games on, regardless if it's running locally or streaming? Provided production costs could get low enough and it could be sold at even a slight profit, why would MS stop manufacturing such said console with their branding on it if it could mean more revenue and profit?

It might go against the concept of a console as we currently know them but consoles today have already changed drastically from what we knew them back with PS2, Gamecube etc. which were quite different from consoles like SNES, MegaDrive etc. Especially the current consoles, which have more in common with PC architectures than any have before them. In the mass market the definition of a console is always changing, whether we like it or not. That's just bound to happen as technology continues evolving and improving.

So your idea hinges on the notion that consoles as we know them won't change as time goes on, and that the same level of production costs associated with them today doesn't change in result to shifting evolution in the tech market. But we know both of those things are bound to adapt and change over time, so 10 years..maybe even 5 years from now (slim chance but still), we can have consoles that are affordable enough to produce that it'd make bad business sense for a company like MS (or Sony) to not continue making and selling them at mass making small profits on each unit in addition to the subscriptions and services, digital software sales etc. stacking on top of that.

The more vertical integration of your ecosystem you have the better, no matter what. Just look at companies like Nintendo for proof of that; controlling both the software and hardware side of things helps with fanbase retention and coalescing the fanbase to a common platform. Even if they were to at some point start providing their games on other devices, there would be brand identity to their hardware driving the purchase.

It's like, hey I can watch a Sony Pictures film or listen to a Sony Music album on any blu-ray player or MP3 device, but they still manufacture their own branded blu-ray players and MP3 Walkmans for a reason. There's still a suitable market for their branded devices of the sort, in spite of the software itself usable with other brand devices.

I'm not going to address all your points cause honestly you've got me here, I concede defeat :) I spoke to soon and with too many assumptions, my bad.

I still don't think a 400$ price point is likely, but you make some very good points that I believe will probably be MS' reasoning if they do decide to go for that price point.

leo-j

Sony has been very stingy w pricing this gen. Ps4 is $299 and pro is $399 currently. But it makes sense considering a last gen tech switch is $299 and the ps4 is still selling well.

Top Bottom