• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro was just ok

DelireMan7

Lacking in fun factor, is a Hard disagree for me. Once you master the game it is literally the most fun
This is an interesting statement. I agree with you but I have the feeling you need to invest a bit to understand well it's combat system to make it fun.
For some it can be immediately fun but for some others there is an "entry fee" to access the fun factor because it can be brutally hard for a newcomer.

It was my case. Not many fun on my first run but now the combat system is crazy fun.

This might be due to the "imposed" combat compare to the diversity the Soulsborne offers. But this not a could comparison since they are completely different genre.
Sekiro "suffered" from the comparison with Soulsborne I guess.

playXray

Problem is that if you beat him, final boss is A LOT harder. I don't know if you want to face more rage inducing bosses, worse than that boss.
No, I probably don't. I didn't have too much trouble up to this point, but I get the feeling he's one of those "skill gatekeepers" that force you to get to a certain level so you're ready for the next set of mobs/bosses. If that's the case I might just leave it. I did have a lot of fun up to this point though.

GasTheWeebs

Banned
Top 3 favorite games of the last gen to me.
Controls and camera can be frustrating at times, quite unresponsive for a 100% combat game. And difficulty is based on how frikin slow you character is with the light attack, a way to force you to parry, but still.

I prefer a protagonist with a cool design and a katana like the Wolf than those generic mannequins from Dark Souls.
Hopefully Elder Ring has a unique protagonist too, I haven't seen anything from that game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Gameplay wise is by far the best from game, yes better than bloodborne.

But it had a lot of things that i hate in games

Parry based combat
No armours or loot to find except the arms
Mono weapon

But the game is great, not just ok, the gameplay is just too good and you have the usual from software great art design for locations, enemies and bosses and seamless level design.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I love all souls games, and sekiro became my favorite after bloodborne, I replayed more them anyother from game , you just cant grind your level you HAVE to get good, and anyone that comes here and says that the gauntlets specially the last one is easier that souls games , Its just bullshitting

Graciaus

I enjoyed it but I wouldn't want another. It looks great in motion when a skilled person plays. But it is basically a rhythm game at its core. Once you get it well that's it. I beat it twice but it doesn't have the replay value their other games have.

Last edited:
IeB1kjO.jpg

I've got the plat trophy, one of the finest videogames ever made, the combat and movement in the game is sublime. When I finally *finally* beat that last boss after countless attempts it gave me a sense of elation like no other, not even the Souls games could produce a feeling within me quite like it. Coming from a dev that has given us the best the industry has to offer for the better part of a decade, Sekiro stands shoulder to shoulder with their other masterpieces whether it be Bloodborne, Dark Souls or take your pick.

I've got the plat trophy, one of the finest videogames ever made, the combat and movement in the game is sublime. When I finally *finally* beat that last boss after countless attempts it gave me a sense of elation like no other, not even the Souls games could produce a feeling within me quite like it. Coming from a dev that has given us the best the industry has to offer for the better part of a decade, Sekiro stands shoulder to shoulder with their other masterpieces whether it be Bloodborne, Dark Souls or take your pick.
It is the only plat trophy I have ever got...

Braag

These are just opinions at the end of the day. Sekiro is my least favorite From game that I've played. It took me a long ass time to finally beat it. Once I was done with it, I had no desire to play anymore of it, ever. The parry based combat was just not my thing.

Nankatsu

Sekiro is the pinnacle of boss battles in recent years.

It took me quite a few tries to get the hang of the parry system, but damn, the combat is so damn tight and well made. It's a truly remarkable game.

I was in the same boat of "this game has no replayability". As mentioned in another post, my first run (at release) didn't let me a good impression on the game.

I started all over again this month and it's a different beast. Once you know the game already, the combat system becomes really addictive and it's great to experiment again and again with it.
Currently on NG+2, no charm/bell, and the boss fights are even better. I love spending hours on reflection boss (training for gauntlets).

That being said, I really wish they remove the need to farm emblems. It's mostly a problem for first timer but many quit the game because of that. It was the main reason why I didn't like the combat system on my first run. I used very rarely the prosthetics because I didn't want to farm.
If they made the emblems refilled on death it would solve the problem. But again this is mainly a problem for first timer.
God this is my biggest PET peeve with all souls games lol. Your exactly right they are only useful once you reached a certain skill level and by that point you likely good enough to just beat the boss/game without them.

They should change it with all consumable's across the board either you should refill a base amount when you die or have them respawn with the enemies in the environment when you reset the bonfire.

It seems to me the only players that use consumables in souls game are speed runners.

Spacefish

This opinion is actually very common and it boils down to not liking Sekiro because its different from souls. I don't see how adding a bunch of souls flab would be an improvement beyond making it similar to what they already did, the game was meant to be a different, hyper focused sword centric combat experience. Judged according to what they set out to achieve the game is stellar, I don't need to replay every FROM game 5 times to enjoy them.

cortadew

For me it was just ok too, that's why I completed it 8 times only and going for a 9nth run with Resurrection mod.

My problem with criticism against Sekiro is that its really not proper criticism, its just people hoping to be RPG.
Do we really need every game to be RPG these days?
I feel this is a bit unfair.

My biggest gripe is Sekiro demands that you play a certain way. Forgot the souls games it's much more restrictive than other action games like Devil may cry, Bayonetta and Ninja gaiden

Same weapon, no combos there's just very little room for player creativity. The parry system seems to only work well in 1 and 1 fights I feel a good combat system should be able to scale well with all numbers of enemies. Sekiro's doesn't.

This video some's up what I mean every enemy need to be isolated to be taken out.( If you have a video that is done differently please show me) This is fine because it encourages stealth and other tools but the core combat depth is lacking.

Honestly in some ways Sekiro has more in common with stealth games MGS and Splinter Cell than it does Devil May Cry and Bayonetta.

RafterXL

It's ok to be wrong.

Sekiro has the best combat of any game in the last decade. It's brilliant in every way, a masterpiece from start to finish. I actually like the Souls games atmosphere and aesthetic better, but in terms of sheer gameplay Sekiro is unmatched, and the focus on the single weapon and playstyle is exactly why.

I also dont understand the "lack of RPG elements" complaints. We literally knew this to be the case before the game released, so it's not like a bait and switch and people were tricked into playing it. If you want better than Souls combat, with RPG elements, tons of gear and build options there's always the Nioh series, which is also excellent.

Hestar69

Yeah I Agree.Fan of from since kings field and I don't like the parrying combat.I see why people like it,just not for me. Maybe one day itll click for me though.

lillars

I have a love/hate relationship with the game. I love the combat feel and some of the environments are fantastic. Bosses too. On the other hand this was the first From game that felt like a chore to get through. By that I mean it felt padded and needed to be tightened up. There were too many mini-bosses and many were just plain reskins/repeats. The environments also got stale with their reuse admittedly some of that was optional. Still even the optional areas in the Souls games were more unique.

The real lack of leveling hampered progress to me. I missed that dearly. Prosthetics were alright, but the majority didn't feel useful. I wish they didn't have the emblem system to limit them so I didn't feel like I was wasting them when I used them. Same thing with items like the confetti paper except that was even worse. I hated fighting headless because I was afraid I would run out of paper! Also some of the bosses were too spongy (the last boss was ridiculous... 4 damn health bars).

Even with those complaints I had a lot of fun and really loved a lot of the game. It may be the "worse" souls game in my book, but that's not bashing it considering how high I hold them all in regard.

Elog

Anyone claiming that Sekiro is just ok is someone I have very little to nothing in common with when it comes to taste in games. The combat in Sekiro was poetic in its perfection. Just amazing. As someone that have played computer games for a very long time, Sekiro is up there with a very small number of truly great games (for me).

Shut0wen

I like the game, only criticism i have about the game is how easy it got after reaching the middle part of the game, dunno why people are saying git gud when it isnt really tgat hard once you learn to parry before they hit you, ninja blade on the hardest difficulty is way more harder then shadows die twice

yugoluke

Maybe an unpopular opinion but sekiro was my least enjoyable FROM game. It wasnt bad at all, but i beat it and never had any reason to return. No weapon variation, boring rewards and a straight forward world. Parrying your way to victory wasnt my cup of tea. I admit that i prefer the more classic souls style of beating enemies. Fighting in sekiro felt like a chore.

I never understood the rave reviews for it.
Hard disagree. Sekiro made every other souls game that came prior feel unpolished and goofy (constantly rolling into the feel of enemies and have your weapon clip into their body as you strike...) to the point where I just cannot play them anymore.

I find the "variety" argument to be in the same category as "mAp sIZe", or "gAme lENgth". A stupid criticism from the start. There is this idiotic idea that stuffing a game to the gills millions of build/weapon/attachment combinations is indicative of quality. It is not. The only thing you get is replay ability, and a less polished game overall. Making every build combination feel good is impossible, and only a certain few feel good. Sekiro does not have this problem because it is optimized for a single weapon and attachment combination.

Sekiro feels dynamic, fast, and replicated the intensity of sword combat really well. It promoted fast and unrelenting striking. It has elements of a rhythm game as well, in terms of strike and parry timing.

And by god the polish. It plays soooo well.

Bad take.

Last edited:
The last boss broke me, I'm a 35 year old gamer from the last 20 years finished almost everything but the last boss in sekiro broke me

Ulysses 31

I like the game, only criticism i have about the game is how easy it got after reaching the middle part of the game, dunno why people are saying git gud when it isnt really tgat hard once you learn to parry before they hit you, ninja blade on the hardest difficulty is way more harder then shadows die twice
You didn't ring the demon bell when things were getting on the easy side for you? :lollipop_confounded:

Could also start a new game without Kuro's charm and demon bell after you beat the main game, you'll have to replay it anyway for all the endings. :lollipop_grinning:

MiguelItUp

Finally beat it yesterday morning, and yeah, I loved it. Such a great game. Don' t know if we'll ever see a sequel, but I'd be happy if we did.

I was anxious about the last fight after everything I heard about it, but I died half the amount of times there than I did to Demon of Hatred, haha.

Top Bottom