• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro was just ok

SantaC

Maybe an unpopular opinion but sekiro was my least enjoyable FROM game. It wasnt bad at all, but i beat it and never had any reason to return. No weapon variation, boring rewards and a straight forward world. Parrying your way to victory wasnt my cup of tea. I admit that i prefer the more classic souls style of beating enemies. Fighting in sekiro felt like a chore.

I never understood the rave reviews for it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I might agree if every Souls game wasn't just i-frame rolling through enemy attacks and hitting them in the back. Or standing at the back throwing fireballs like a baby.

I love all of them, but when you really boil it down, that's what you're doing for X hours.

Skifi28

Gold Member
It has the most satisfying skill-based combat in any action game I've ever played. I can agree that from a souls perspective there wasn't the usual level of replayability: Just a single weapon, barely any RPG elements, no need for builds as you can change your tools on the fly etc. But the combat alone is reason enough for me to keep revisiting the game, I just can't get that sort of combat satisfaction from any other game.

Last edited:

cireza

I think it was their best game because it wasn't bloated with inventory and stats. Pure action game about skill and improving.

I don't know if I am going to play Elden Ring, but I am certainly not looking forward to raising stats and managing redundant weapons and armors...

SantaC

I think it was their best game because it wasn't bloated with inventory and stats. Pure action game about skill and improving.

I don't know if I am going to play Elden Ring, but I am certainly not looking forward to raising stats and managing redundant weapons and armors...
I am extremely happy they are going back to builds and RPG elements in Elden Ring. They realized that sekiro wasnt for everyone and ditched it.

Fbh

Top 5 games of last gen.
And that final boss:

SCB3

My least favorite Souls / FromSoft game tbh, once you mastered the Timing of the Parry and the Mirikari Counter, very little was hard afterwards.

I will admit though, the beginning of the game is really hard

Sekiro is special because there is only Sekiro. In Dark Souls, you could do a brain-dead cheese build or super-hard boring build and beat the same game with varying difficulty. Sekiro was Miyazaki saying, "can you beat my game with only one set of tools?" The shared experience is what makes it pog. If you beat the last boss, it was the same way everyone else had to beat it. Sekiro is perfection.

Miyazaki. Doesn't. Miss.

DelireMan7

I was in the same boat.

I played it on release and didn't like it much. I still beat it but I had to force myself.

Like you said no diversity and the Deflect mechanic is too powerful and boring. You can basically L1/R1 almost every boss.

Prosthetics needs emblems to use and I use them a lot at the beginning. But after the first boss I ran out of them and basically learn to fight without them (L1, L1 L1...) because I didn't want to farm emblems.

But I restarted it beginning of the month because a friend of mine beat it last year and we had lot of discussion about it (for him it's way better than any Souls and for me it was way inferior).

I beat it, then a NG+ and I am now on NG++.
I still think it has the same flaws ( deflect too powerful and emblems for Prosthetics) but when you know the game you can more easily experiment with the combat system without being restricted.

I have a lot of fun trying combat art and Prosthetics. But still in the back of my head I always have the feeling I put myself a handicap by using them. I could just L1 and be more safe and efficient.

Also I really dig the world and lore. I also appreciate the fact that some of the sidequests have different path and intertwined with some others.

I still prefer the Soulsborne but Sekiro's combat system is quite addictive once you make the effort to dig it. But unfortunately the game doesn't push you to explore it in my opinion.

Last edited:

Aesius

Sekiro is special because there is only Sekiro. In Dark Souls, you could do a brain-dead cheese build or super-hard boring build and beat the same game with varying difficulty. Sekiro was Miyazaki saying, "can you beat my game with only one set of tools?" The shared experience is what makes it pog. If you beat the last boss, it was the same way everyone else had to beat it. Sekiro is perfection.

Miyazaki. Doesn't. Miss.
You could see the trend towards that with bosses in DS3 and Bloodborne especially. Their attacks and movements became faster and faster and there was no way to beat many of them without being able to dodge and roll with near perfect timing. So while you could enter those battles with different builds, beating them was becoming pretty standardized across playthroughs.

Vangellis

I love all the soulborne games for different reasons. Sekrio has the smoothest and intense combat of all of them, but I totally get why people dont like this as much a Dark souls or bloodborne. As far as humanoid based bosses go Sekrio is fucking amazing, and the best.

The 2 Owl fights, Genichiro and the last boss are fucking sublime. The fact that you have to parry and be toe to toe with most bosses is intense.

MiguelItUp

I'm currently playing through Sekiro now, and I can't say I agree whatsoever. This is coming from someone that doesn't care to parry in Souls games, haha. Also from someone that doesn't return to a lot of the games. I'm more of a one and done person, though I may dabble in NG+ a bit. But the visuals, the sound, the music, the gameplay, I love it a great deal.

I'm about to beat it, so I'm not really sure where I place it just yet. But I do know it's not the bottom, I actually think Souls 2 takes that spot, as to me the game just felt diluted in every possible way. It was the only Souls game I played that felt like a chore to finish towards the end. Didn't care to check out the DLC either.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Something I loved was that the combat almost felt like a rhythm game: parrying and hearing those "CLANG" sounds one after the other, in perfect rhythm, was like touching a tit for the first time.

MiguelItUp MiguelItUp I think the DLC is actually the best part in DS2, or at least that's the feeling I got from when I was playing it. Only souls game I've never beaten, it's just boring and uninspired.

Last edited:
Maybe an unpopular opinion but sekiro was my least enjoyable FROM game. It wasnt bad at all, but i beat it and never had any reason to return. No weapon variation, boring rewards and a straight forward world. Parrying your way to victory wasnt my cup of tea. I admit that i prefer the more classic souls style of beating enemies. Fighting in sekiro felt like a chore.

I never understood the rave reviews for it.
I agree. It's a really good first playthrough but loses a lot of its lustre after that.

The core parry mechanic feels incredibly limited It only seems to work in one on one fights and in some boss fights its completely abandoned like the demon of hatred.

A cool experiment but I hope FROM abandons it after this

MiguelItUp

MiguelItUp MiguelItUp I think the DLC is actually the best part in DS2, or at least that's the feeling I got from when I was playing it. Only souls game I've never beaten, it's just boring and uninspired.
Well, maybe I'll go back to check it out at some point if that's the case, haha. Oh no kidding?! I really don't blame you. I'm telling you, when I realized the end was in sight, I was forcing myself to get through it, lol. It was super rough. Couldn't agree more with the boring and uninspired comment.

skneogaf

It took me a few hours to get sekiro I expected more of the same thing as other from software games but it is a different beast all together.

I ended loving it and ranking it as the most difficult from software games.

A masterpiece made by a magnificent studio.

Melfice7

I almost prefer dark souls 2 to sekiro, it was my least favorite souls game as well and i usually love sekiro's setting

rofif

Banned
It's not dark souls. No customization, gear or leveling.
But same amazing level design, movement and combat was fantastic aside from few too hard bosses.

But I can see why you say that

skit_data

Well, maybe I'll go back to check it out at some point if that's the case, haha. Oh no kidding?! I really don't blame you. I'm telling you, when I realized the end was in sight, I was forcing myself to get through it, lol. It was super rough. Couldn't agree more with the boring and uninspired comment.
The DLCs are good, way better than the base game. I’ve only played the Scholar of the First Sin edition so to me it all blended together.
Parts of The Sunken King DLC felt like playing a Zelda dungeon with puzzle elements and everything. If anything I found that DLC to be one of the more ”inspired” parts of the whole Dark Souls Trilogy. The Ivory King DLC has some really cool elements as well, especially Burnt Ivory king himself.

The main game is pretty weak overall though.

Last edited:

playXray

I really enjoyed it for the most part, but I got stuck on the fight with
Great Shinobi Owl
- I have platinumed Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but this boss just has me beat. Anyone else get stuck here? Any tips for going back in to give it another go?

Top Bottom