• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Valhalla Is Surprisingly Awesome

GymWolf

To be fair there are only 3 Roguelites I like, Hades, Rogue Legacy and a game that this reminded me of, Returnal
I kinda hate the art design in rogue legacy and i don't like the combat, and i think returnal was a splendid tps but a pretty shitty roguelite.

I like many roguelites, but none has captured the magic of hades, the sequel is one of my most hyped games.

Last edited:

SCB3

I kinda hate the art design in rogue legacy and i don't like the combat, and i think returnal was a splendid tps but a pretty shitty roguelite.

I like many roguelites, but none has captured the magic of hades, the sequel is one of my most hyped games.
Yea I get that, RL was more nostalgic as I remember playing it on a PS Vita on a coach trip to London and back which took close to 18 hours round, completing it all in that time,

Since you are good with old games, there was another game that i played in arcade cabinet form that i think it was also on megadrive, you could play in coop and you command a kid, the first weapon was kinda of a yo-yo but you could upgrade with rock spikes or other things.
That sounds a lot like Rygar but that game wasn't co-op as far as I can recall.

Yoboman

Finished my third run. Fucking final boss keeps changing his weapons and adding new attacks to his arsenal on each run lmao. thankfully, I am also getting stronger thanks to the perma upgrades so its been manageable.

Its absolutely crazy how each new run is adding more and more new enemies to the game. Game is full of surprises. Im honestly blown away and am reminded of just how good SSM can be as game designers. I didnt much care for the therapy session endings of the last two runs but i guess thats what this game is, very similar to Hades in that regard.

My only real complaint besides the game being overly talky is that their perks system doesnt reward for completely different play styles like in Hades. I can still pretty much play with an Axe on every run. I almost wish they added the cestus or the hammer to spice things up along with some new moves for Kratos. The new rage ability is fantastic but there is very little experimentation when it comes to weapons and moves on each run.
There is some incentive to pick a play style though. You only end up with a certain number of buffs per weapon and rewards with the labours for using each if the weapons. I'm finding I main one of the weapons and shields each run which changes the play style

Monkfish877

Damn shame I sold my copy after I platinumed it, no Atreus sounds like a dream. Playing as the boy for a third of the game left a bad taste in my mouth, ruined the experience for me

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finished it. I get now why it was free. Only 4-5 actual runs before the credits roll. They do a fantastic job mixing in things during those 5 runs but ultimately it feels a bit hollow at the end. Its definitely no Hades.

Did 3 more runs after that because the gameplay loop is fucking amazing, and there are still some dialogue sequences. I honestly wish this featured a lot more of the OG game bosses. They had such a genius idea and they did a lot with it, just couldve taken it much futher than that. Imagine fighting Hades, Zeus and other Greek Pantheon bosses in this. Imagine wielding the cestus and the Thor hammer. I wouldve paid actual money for it.

Yoboman

Finished it. I get now why it was free. Only 4-5 actual runs before the credits roll. They do a fantastic job mixing in things during those 5 runs but ultimately it feels a bit hollow at the end. Its definitely no Hades.

Did 3 more runs after that because the gameplay loop is fucking amazing, and there are still some dialogue sequences. I honestly wish this featured a lot more of the OG game bosses. They had such a genius idea and they did a lot with it, just couldve taken it much futher than that. Imagine fighting Hades, Zeus and other Greek Pantheon bosses in this. Imagine wielding the cestus and the Thor hammer. I wouldve paid actual money for it.
It was definitely cool

Would love it if the next GOW had it as post game stuff from day one but expanded like you said

Mjordan23

Neo Member
Gotta try this soon, even though I didn`t like Ragnarok (felt like they copied the beginning of the 2018 game and the leveldesign felt very gamey).

Madjaba

It was a really nice closure to Valhalla.

I thought that the original game fell flat in its ending but THAT is what I was expecting and a very nice conclusion for Kratos for now.
That's the definition of what a really good DLC can be.

Aenima

Also loving how each run feels rewarding. You get Hades like perma upgrades even if you die so no run feels like a wasted run. I am looking at you Returnal. There are like half a dozen new systems introduced with this DLC. This is going to be a fun one to replay.
Ok, you convinced me. Hated Returnal system, felt like i was deleting the save at the end of most runs. And if thers new story bits gotta check it out.

SCB3

And done, I agree with someone else here, it does get a little stale as the rooms do repeat, but as its a free short Epilogue, its forgivable, a full fleshed out game like this would need a lot more

I enjoyed it a lot, the story is actually better than Ragnoroks in a lot of ways, in the main game I was just waiting for more Kratos stuff and Atreus was just in the way, I hated how his character was in Ragnorok, he was much much better in 2018

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Save it for the sequel as a PS5 only title brother

I’d be pissed if they wasted an epic return of Zeus boss fight on cross gen

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ha nice. That was a fun game back in the day.

Super fun and you can grab it as part of the Arcade Archives collection on PSN

GymWolf GymWolf

RAIDEN1

Last year/earlier this year I decided to finally check out what the fuss was about all things God of War, and tried to get into the 2018 edition, but it just didn't grasp me, one person here on NeoGaf once said it just felt like one slog after another....and that's how I felt, couple of weeks ago I sold my copy of the game, well aware I wouldn't get much for it, but that is one amongst others in recent years that I have no regrets in selling on...(the other one being Metal Gear 5)

Last edited:

tmlDan

Last year/earlier this year I decided to finally check out what the fuss was about all things God of War, and tried to get into the 2018 edition, but it just didn't grasp me, one person here on NeoGaf once said it just felt like one slog after another....and that's how I felt, couple of weeks ago I sold my copy of the game, well aware I wouldn't get much for it, but that is one amongst others in recent years that I have no regrets in selling on...(the other one being Metal Gear 5)
okay? its not a slog, but you go off unrelated to the topic lol

The Stig

I'm a massive God of War fan (I own and have beaten them all, except the psp game with his brother in).

I've never really played roguelite games before. they sounded a bit too much like souls games (I played the first a lot but the frustration didnt feel worth it, i respect the games, but theyre not for me)

This DLC has opened my eyes. It's a real challenging type of game play but very rewarding. Once I'm done with this I am going to returnal.

So far I've beaten what appears to be the first boss and
met Helios! So funny and what a callback! I finished GoW3 remastered just a few months ago!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm a massive God of War fan (I own and have beaten them all, except the psp game with his brother in).

I've never really played roguelite games before. they sounded a bit too much like souls games (I played the first a lot but the frustration didnt feel worth it, i respect the games, but theyre not for me)

This DLC has opened my eyes. It's a real challenging type of game play but very rewarding. Once I'm done with this I am going to returnal.

So far I've beaten what appears to be the first boss and
met Helios! So funny and what a callback! I finished GoW3 remastered just a few months ago!
Returnal has some very POOR rougelike mechanics. You cannot upgrade your stats after you die so every failed run feels like a failure. you make zero progress in everything other than weapon traits which are randomized, and the progression for them is effectively a grind. You will not see the true potential of the guns until like 50 runs because thats when you will have them upgraded.

GOW is structured more like hades. You have various different currencies that let you level up your health, damage and other stats so you are always making progress. Returnal has no such systems. That said, the final form of some of the guns are absolutely incredible and OP so go in to that game with the mindset of playing it for dozens of runs after you officially beat the campaign. Returnal also has better gameplay, especially if you are into shooters. But again, it is much harder than GOW because of the lack of permanent upgrades.

The Stig

Returnal has some very POOR rougelike mechanics. You cannot upgrade your stats after you die so every failed run feels like a failure. you make zero progress in everything other than weapon traits which are randomized, and the progression for them is effectively a grind. You will not see the true potential of the guns until like 50 runs because thats when you will have them upgraded.

GOW is structured more like hades. You have various different currencies that let you level up your health, damage and other stats so you are always making progress. Returnal has no such systems. That said, the final form of some of the guns are absolutely incredible and OP so go in to that game with the mindset of playing it for dozens of runs after you officially beat the campaign. Returnal also has better gameplay, especially if you are into shooters. But again, it is much harder than GOW because of the lack of permanent upgrades.
ok cool, thanks for the advice. i am a fan of shooters so I think I'll give it a try, but appreciate the warnings.

I think I going to take a look at hades

GHG

Returnal is more of a roguelike than it is a roguelite.

I didn't gel with Returnal for the reasons you outlined and it was only upon realising there's a distinction between the two (roguelikes and roguelites) that understood why.

I prefer roguelites much more than I do roguelikes. The complete failure state of roguelikes with little in the way of meta-progression is not something I enjoy.

Edellus

Maybe I like roguelikes (Returnal and now this).

I'm having so much fun that I almost feel guilty for not having to pay for it lol.

Muffdraul

I have still to play Ragnarök is it better than 2018 ?
When I finished 2018, I thought to myself, "Good lord, just imagine... as epic as this game was, the next two games in this trilogy are going to make it seem like a wimpy little shriveled up prologue."

Well, sad to say, Ragnarok did not live up to that hype. It wasn't bad, but there were certain aspects that really disappointed me. e.g. In 2018 I would look around at environments like Tyr's Vault and think "Damn, if they could do this in 2018, imagine what the environments in the next one will look like!" Sad to say, there was literally nothing in Ragnarok that was even as awesome as Tyr's Vault, let alone surpassed it.

It's not super deep but combat of GOW is some of the most satisfying and visceral combat ever created
I think it's deeper that a lot of people people give it credit for. Is it at DMC or Ninja Gaiden level? Probably not but it's a just a level below and I think it objectively it does certain things better. Mainly fluidly combining ranged and melee combat better than just about any game ever.

BUUUT and I can't stress this enough. It's Leagues and I mean Leagues above souls and souls like!

After booting this up after playing Lies of P a great game which frankly has better combat than any FROM game. It's beyond comparison I make more choices against a bunch of average goons in Ragnarok than I do against the hardest boss fight in that game.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I can't believe they released a Dlc like this for free.

I finished the main game today after completing many side quests (the game was fantastic). However, I didn't even have the enthusiasm left to play the Epilogue; I thought I had exhausted everything the game had to offer. Plus, my left thumb was swollen. Then, out of curiosity, I downloaded this DLC with low expectations and started playing. I'm still surprised at how I enjoyed it for 3 hours after a 4-hour main game adventure today. It felt like I was playing a whole new game. I'll continue from where I left off tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone involved in creating this DLC.

I hate roguelikes so I'm playing on the lowest difficulty, but there is a surprising amount of story content. Makes me think we will see a GoW Norse 3.

nowhat

Makes me think we will see a GoW Norse 3.
It's possible, but at least previously Santa Monica has said that the "Norse saga" is over, if the series continues at some point, it will be in a new setting.

(Cory is working on something at SSM, but it's not God of War related as far as we know)

Bartski

Gold Member
Just beat the whole thing in one sitting, so good. Almost forgot how deep the combat system is, just a joy to re-explore while the game pushes you to experiment with different loadouts.
Kida wish they took it further down memory lane but as it stands it's an amazing epilogue to Ragnarok

Edellus

Just beat the whole thing in one sitting, so good. Almost forgot how deep the combat system is, just a joy to re-explore while the game pushes you to experiment with different loadouts.
Kida wish they took it further down memory lane but as it stands it's an amazing epilogue to Ragnarok
The whole thing? 5 hours after the credits and I'm still finding new enemies and story bits (I already have every collectible already tho).

This thing is addictive.

Top Bottom