• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Finished Sea of Stars ... any tips for what TB rpg to play next ?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Just finished Sea of Stars ... great TB game with a shitty story specially the end ... but it got me hooked while it lasted, in fact renewed my hope in TB Rpg (yeah fuck you square ... do FF properly again) , the TB semmed classic and fresh (for me anyway) and I never felt bored by it.

So any tips on same styles games I can play ? Realy liked the retro simplicity and straight "forwardness" of the game ... with little to no bullshit

Games that demand too much exploration or socialization are not my thing (persona for example) ...

Interfectum

Chained Echoes
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Cornbread78

Have you played any of the Persona games? I highly recommend them.... Also, free on GP since Phil sent SEGA/Atlus trucks full of cash to butter them up for a future aquisition

Thabass

Octopath Traveler 1/2, Star Ocean 2nd Story R, or Chained Echoes (though, I haven't played CE yet).

Reactions: Isa

Shifty1897

that is not turn based.. title says TB (turn based)

That being said star ocean is still great
Lol I read it as Throw Back, not Turn based. That makes more sense.

So yeah, Chained Echoes, Bravely Default 2, the Octopath Games, Triangle Strategy, Persona 5 Royal, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 3 Reloaded when that comes out.

If you have a Switch, Fire Emblem 3 Houses.

Last edited:
Just finished Sea of Stars ... great TB game with a shitty story specially the end ... but it got me hooked while it lasted, in fact renewed my hope in TB Rpg (yeah fuck you square ... do FF properly again) , the TB semmed classic and fresh (for me anyway) and I never felt bored by it.

So any tips on same styles games I can play ? Realy liked the retro simplicity and straight "forwardness" of the game ... with little to no bullshit

Games that demand too much exploration or socialization are not my thing (persona for example) ...
If you want to see the dark side of the genre I recommend Fear and Hunger 2: Termina. If you want the light side Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Fbh

Chained Echoes!.

- Way better story and characters than Sea of Stars
- Fun turn based combat. It doesn't have a timing/real time element like Sea of Stars which is a shame,but it has WAAAAAY more skills (both passive and active) for each characters and feels more strategic with stuff like buffs/debuffs as well as an interesting system where you need to balance out which skills you use to avoid your party getting into a weakened state.
- Like Sea of Stars it also has no random encounters, and IMO it has a great level system that doesn't encourage grinding.
- The actual dungeons aren't as good as those in Sea of Stars, but the world itself is way more fun to explore, with bigger areas and some great level design.
- The optional content is also way better, there's a small number of side quests but most of them feel meaningful. And once you get more advanced traversal options later on there's a ton of optional areas and things to find.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got Sea of Stars because the launch thread looked good. Then they said it sucked and that Chained Echoes was better. So I bought Chained Echoes.

Play Tactics Ogre Rebirth. I finished that and had a good time. I also really liked the PSP version.

I’d recommend Star Ocean 2, but that’s not the TB you want. I played CE for a bit and it looks like it’ll be a lot of fun.

Skelterz

If you want something short and sweet cosmic star heroine is worth a play, any of the classic FF games. If you want something challenging SMTV is good if you have a switch.

PanzerCute

Like many mentioned before: Octo 1 and especially 2, Triangle Strategy if you like TRPG, Bravely Default 2 (absolutely adore this game), Chained Echoes.

If you want some challenge dont sleep on Shin Megami Tensei V and Soul Hackers 2. In terms of pure gameplay they are the best imo: sometimes I had the impression the game was reading in my mind. So many insanely tensed and fascinating combats in these games.

Top Bottom