• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you improve elden ring?

Majukun

less obtuse quests...but i know that many people like souls game BECAUSE of those first two weeks of community research and wiki entries

Easy mode.
the game has already that due to the abscence of any kind of balancing.

Last edited:
my only observation: making elden ring in any way, shape, or form more like sekiro would be a detraction, not an improvement....

These are mine:

1. Ability to ride my horse any time and have it be able to do a crouch walk in low ceiling areas.
2. An item like Old Hunter Bone in Bloodborne that makes my rolls into Bloodhound Step before the patch.
3. An expanded combat system on horseback with less delay and skills to be accessible.
4. Treasure maps like in Resident Evil 4, which tell me the locations of all the collectibles in an area.
5. A guaranteed drop system with bestiary log (1 kill: item v; 5 kills: item x; 10 kills: item y; 20 kills: item z)
6. A unique fist weapon like DS2's Bone Fist.
7. A quest log.
8. Ammo categories to be a customizable selection wheel without the need to equip.
9. Light flickering in Consecrated Snowfield during snow storm on PC.
10. More types of Blood incantations/sorceries.
11. Make Frenzy and Deathblight into valid player tools.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Either improve the way it tells you how to advance the story or get rid of the open world.

Perhaps not a problem for most, but I gave up when I couldn't work out where to go next, and couldn't be bothered to trudge across the map hoping it was the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Denton

at this point it'll never happen. that's part of what makes these games great. if you don't like it then it's not for you.
Except that's bullshit. I enjoy these games, they are for me, but that doesn't mean they can't be better on storytelling front.
You should hope that it will happen, since I bet you would enjoy them more too.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I do not want OP's request for a "more traditional story" or normal quests with dialogue trees.

Screw all of that, the downplaying of typical narrative and quest-chain mechanics is what made it feel genuinely freeing like BOTW, instead of brain-numbing like Ubisoft open worlds.

Ar¢tos

Just curious how would you take from software formula further or fix issues you think it has?

1. Randomized loot. There really isn't any reason to explore on replays and it also makes looking at guides mandatory if you want the best items.

2. Parry system more like Sekiro. With exception that parry would be block and then attack button so, you couldn't just spam block button for alright results. Also you could also parry swords and stuff but not mega big bosses, to give bit variety in terms of avoiding attacks.

3. Some kind of quest system, and dialog tress. No need to make it too big and I generally don't even like side quests.

4. No upgrade materials and simpler stats. It would more fun if I found new slightly more powerful weapon of different class, I could just start using it instead not using it due to having first to upgrade it.

5. Armor that matters, I don't really like leveling up vigor or endurance, just make armor powerful and have different stats, like vigor and endurance.

6. Fixed healing from start of the game with no way to upgrade it. Just make like 5 full heals. Its kind of fun since you would have risk and reward mechanic. Lower your health more you would heal, but riskier it is.

7. Boss challenge like Sekiro. ER went overboard.

8. Easy to use magic, that would act like small damage boost instead of complex stat driven system with op spells and shitty spells. Hold RT and press face button to blast 4 different spells of your choosing and mana regains little bit by dealing damage to enemies, melee included.

9. Improved bow mechanics, like hold LT and get bow with improved aim. Rechargeable bow of like 5 arrows, would Inzentive using bow for stunning few enemies out of group for instance.

10. I prefer face button attacks and I don't really need two attacks like heavy and light since typically one is better than the other statically. It would free shoulder buttons for magic and bow.

11. More traditional story delivery and than cryptic item descriptions.
You know you can play other games if you need that many changes to "improve" ER.
I don't see how turning ER into a cookie cutter western rpg would be an improvement.

fart town usa

Gold Member
No, I just like my games polished and not filled with jank and artificial difficulty due to input lag, bad controls and shitty cameras.
You Lie Harry Potter GIF by Sky

GametimeUK

Take away the vast open world, keep the structure of the legacy dungeons and then interconnect them. Add some looping shortcuts and a hub type of area that branches out to each location in the game. The hub will also act as a safe haven for the NPC's you find on your travels.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Here's a video the other way...

If you want to call, "starts an attack immediately when a button is pressed" not input reading, well, ok.

But the player is standing well within range whenever he goes to heal and has a falcion (no range). Crucible Knights are some of the toughest enemies in the game, nothing about the video looks cheap, the person playing was just using bad tactics.

It took me various tries over the course of a few weeks to take that version of the Crucible Knight down.

I_D

Except that's bullshit. I enjoy these games, they are for me, but that doesn't mean they can't be better on storytelling front.
You should hope that it will happen, since I bet you would enjoy them more too.

At the risk of getting destroyed in this thread...
I skip through the cutscenes and dialogue in 99% games I play. The storylines are the worst part of games, imo.
The emergent story that takes place in Souls games (and quite a few indie games, actually) is far superior, to me. I like when the environment does the talking, instead of two floating heads that talk back and forth for a grand total of hours of gameplay.
I will say that Souls games have pretty bad voice-acting, and the choreography of the characters is pretty PS3-ish, and so forth; but I don't think that's what most people are talking about when they mention "story" in games.

If I was to improve Elden Ring, a game I consider to be the best open-world game ever, and is the only game I have ever 100%-achieved in my entire life...
* The non-story dungeons should have been far closer to Bloodborne's chalice dungeons. Randomization would have added a TON of replay value to the game. Or hell, even if they weren't randomized, they could at least be a bit more different. At least change the color-palette from time to time, or something.
* Bosses should never be repeated, so definitely change that. There might be some story-reasons to repeat an enemy here and there, but Elden Ring was pathetic in this aspect.
* The level-design of the castles really isn't as good as in the previous Souls games. I would say Elden Ring is the worst-level-designed game in the whole series, even including Sekiro which has pathetic levels compared to its predecessors.
* I'm not a fan of the spirit-jump points. I would have preferred spells that aid in exploration, or upgrades to the horse, or something like that. That would also help with the level design, if done correctly.
* But the biggest issue is balancing. Some enemies are far too strong, and some enemies are far too weak. Some builds are far too strong, and some builds are nearly useless unless you're a streamer.
* Obviously better graphics would be nice, too, though I do consider Elden Ring to be absolutely beautiful for what it is. The gameplay could be tweaked a bit, though. The hitboxes, for example, are far worse than FROM's previous games (other than DS3's through-wall attacks that are still the worst part of that game).

Here's a video the other way...

Honestly, this person just kinda sucks at the game. Walking straight back instead of strafing, not using circling attacks, healing when the enemy is clearly closing the distance, etc. It's just not a good player.

Last edited:

Duchess

The one thing I'm sure everyone who's played the game would agree on:

Make Radagon the final boss, with two major phases (and remove Elden Beast entirely).

JCK75

Been playing ther fuck out of it and I have a new one.. fix the god damned lockon system.. doing one of those bearing hunter MF'ers and I just want to lock on to him.. it just keeps spinning me backwards to nothing every time I try.. and by the time I get oriented I'm dead.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's just missing the same thing Bloodborne was missing and prevented it from being a true 10/10 absolute timeless masterpiece.

Sex with the doll.

Bartski

Gold Member
Trim more fat. Cut some evergaols that make zero sense lore-wise, like the one with Godrick. Cut out most phantom enemies and bosses, especially where game introduces phantom versions (=shit looking) before the real thing. Definitely cut Godrick the golden shade like what the fuck was that, other than a pointless self-spoiling of the finale. Also, give Radagon a banger 2nd phase and cut this alien squid abomination that might as well be the worst final boss in Fromsoft souls history. Still GOTY.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a revamp of armor. There's so much customization with weapons, and so many stats attached to them. It would be great to see a similar experience with armor. Like an armor that gives resistance to poison, scarlet rot.. Or buffs to certain stats if you have a full set on.

Some kind of quest log. I appreciate the loose approach Elden Ring takes, but at the very least some kind of note or log to track hints or progress through quests would be nice.

Seamless drop in drop out coop. The current system is tedious and archaic, I would love to just be able to do a coop playthrough with a friend without having to fuss over "Hey I put the sign down.. Do you see it? No no I put it next to the rock.." It's just.. so unnecessary. I just want to do a full, uninterrupted playthrough in coop.

• waaay less copy-paste dungeons/caves/underground areas/castles/outposts
  • fix the player movement--feels like a cheap knockoff compared to other souls games
  • make the world feel less empty and more... lived in
  • more interconnectedness (lifts/elevators to different areas dont count)
  • more random acts/encounters/roaming stuff
  • more somber/melancholy boys sitting around, waxing philosophical when you chat with them (setting the tone)
  • fewer bosses that can kill you in a couple hits but require you to hit them 400 times
  • make those hero dungeon places less annoying to explore (running away from a friggin wheel or whatever time after time after time after time gets annoying)
  • exploration that takes you to weird places for exploration's sake
  • dragons were lame
  • maybe lose the horse
  • add rivers... i dont know, something about a good river
  • updated graphics/better RT support
  • keep the tone, obscurity, and difficulty.. but make it all fit together better (i know, i know)

Antwix

Just hope in the DLC that there's some sort of alternate/side game mode. Something like Bloodborne's chalice dungeons or Sekiro's boss gauntlet. Just something to do after you beat the game other than just ng+. Especially since you can't as easily rush thru the game on account of it being so big and open.

bender

What time is it?
Do you want randomized loot as in Diablo or for the locations of the set items to randomized. I hate the former and, at first blush, don't hate the latter. My biggest issue with loot chests in the game is that too many contained consumables which always felt disappointing.

I think the biggest thing I would have done with Elden Ring is parred back the recycled content. The first time I robbed one of the stage coaches being pulled by those giants was such a great moment and then the game repeated that another time or two which took away the novelty. The side dungeons also repeated bosses a lot and I would have enjoyed fewer dungeons with less boss repetition and they could have just upped the amount of loot available. And like with most open world games, I wish they'd scaled back the density of content and let the open world breathe and have downtime. To be fair, it isn't as egregious with this as most other modern open world games.

SHA

Learning how to do things in one way that wouldn't be possible otherwise is old schoolish, that doesn't improve players skills no matter how you look at it, it just takes time from you.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Learning how to do things in one way that wouldn't be possible otherwise is old schoolish, that doesn't improve players skills no matter how you look at it, it just takes time from you.
Please give this post some meaning by being far less vague, I'd love to know what you mean but right now it has no meaning

Last edited:
Top Bottom