• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about parries in action games?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think it's an overused mechanic, but can potentially be fun in the right context.

The bigger problem is that modern games are so damned laggy that it's really hard to get a feel for the timing. Developers need to get a grasp on responsive controls before trying to get fancy with them.

bender

What time is it?
I think it's an overused mechanic, but can potentially be fun in the right context.

The bigger problem is that modern games are so damned laggy that it's really hard to get a feel for the timing. Developers need to get a grasp on responsive controls before trying to get fancy with them.

I think that's why we've seen wider and wider parry windows instead of addressing the core problem.

El Muerto

I think the parry system in The Surge 1+2 was my favorite out of any souls like. It was a little more involved because you had to determine what direction the attack was coming from.

Crayon

Little bored of how it's typically done with massive feedback and slowdown. Then the huge canned followup. I'd like to see something built around weapon clashes that flowed better.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think that's why we've seen wider and wider parry windows instead of addressing the core problem.

Probably, and the wider parry windows feel a lot less gratifying since you can just kinda tap the button randomly and usually have it work. The fun of parrying is that you feel like you did something surgical, and there's a super satisfying response in-game. Take that away, and you're missing the point altogether.

Killjoy-NL

Imo they should be implemented in any game with melee-combat.
Just timing-based.

Doesn't even need to be like Souls.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Parries can be awesome. I dislike the parry system in Dark Souls, but I love it in Sekiro. One of my favs is in Dragon's Dogma, Easy Kill, I think.

But one of my absolute favourites is in an MMO called Vindictus. It's not a full blown parry, but you can parry a specific attack from pretty much all bosses(including Raid) in the game. The boss does his move, and the Karok character 'clashes' with them, holding them, allowing your mates to get in some hits, then if you win, you get a free hit and a bit of a stun. Also looks pretty cool. Ahhh Vindictus, why do you have to be run by Nexon....

Wildebeest

Tired of hearing about them and seeing them in games. They could probably be done in a more interesting way, but right now they seem to be a way of sneaking QTE into games by the back door.

Solidus_T

Modern action games rely on them too much in lieu of spacing and hitbox interactions. A good action game can have parries and they can be fun, but when it is the only way the devs intended for you to play the game, it gets stale, and at a certain point, the game turns into a rhythm game.
An example of an action game with a perfect balance between parries and hitbox interactions is Metal Gear Rising. It's over 10 years old at this point, but it implemented them well.

KXVXII9X

orgasm GIF

Top Bottom