• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella talks about the future of Xbox and multiplatform: "We are very happy with what's going on in gaming"

Sneaky CEO

sKhd9iI.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont understand the end game here. Are they sick of losing money on making hardware? If they really want to go software only like SEGA, whats the reason for getting CoD when they couldve acquired so many other studios for a fraction of the cost?

For a company that makes $40 billion in profits every year, having a gaming division that barely evens out is probably not ideal. I get that part, but why would they double down on software when they are attempting to leave the hardware business?

I think there is a clear lack of direction over at Microsoft. They want to sell subscriptions but they wont be able to without their own consoles. They want to post profits, but are spending $70 billion just to be able to do so. If they go third party it doesnt guarantee higher profit margins because Xbox wouldnt exactly exist. If Xbox exists then the R&D costs on hardware, operation systems and server costs for XBL will eat away all the profits just like its doing today.

I dont think they have thought any of this through.

Fabieter

not everything is going to be perfect.

Apple has introduced so much bad shit into the world since but that still doesn't change the fact that the Original iPhone was one of the most important innovations we have had in tech for a long long long time

Nokia had their smartphone first but it didn't manage to get past their crash test.

twilo99

Because this guy made a valid point:

Stuff like this creates mindshare. In turn, it can result in increasing marketshare and before you know it, they could become competitive again.

That's definitely something Sony, as a business, should keep in the back of their minds.
As do some Gaffers.

Tables can turn pretty quickly.

Top tier fan paranoia… maybe?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The question is which games will go multiplatform and which will stay exclusive.

The next question is who gives a fuck as long as I get to play everything and more on PC?

BlackTron

The thing about these comments is that MS has already been doing all of the above. It's up to the reader to read between the lines on the intended messaging with the timing of the comments.

He left the door open to make utterly no change, small changes to the strategy, or massive ones. Internally, I think it's probably still "wait and see just how bad it really is and figure it out as we go" as it always has been.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Two points that people keep forgetting but they are important and answer the questions you have:

I dont understand the end game here. Are they sick of losing money on making hardware? If they really want to go software only like SEGA, whats the reason for getting CoD when they couldve acquired so many other studios for a fraction of the cost?
1. Timing.

It was a very different time when they acquired ABK/COD and were planning to make it exclusive. Xbox S|X was outselling PS5 (because of PS5 shortage supply), Nadella was bragging about it to the investors, Game Pass was growing and had hit 25 million subscribers, revenue was going up, and they had hopes that the upcoming games -- Starfield, Redfall, Forza -- will be super successful and increase Xbox's market share.

The situation is completely reversed by now.

Xbox consoles came to a halt, Game Pass stagnated and missed targets 3 years in a row, Satya Nadella removed GP from his bonus KPIs, Bethesda's $7.5 billion acquisition failed.
For a company that makes $40 billion in profits every year, having a gaming division that barely evens out is probably not ideal. I get that part, but why would they double down on software when they are attempting to leave the hardware business?
2. Microsoft would see the Xbox division as a failure even if it breaks even (which I'm confident it doesn't even do that), because the operating expenditures would be roughly $18 billion.

If Microsoft invests those $18 billion elsewhere, I'm sure they would be able to increase their overall profits by roughly $2 billion.

This is without even mentioning the nearly $80 billion they have invested in the Xbox division for acquisitions -- like Bethesda, which failed to yield any positive results.

I think there is a clear lack of direction over at Microsoft.

Bingo

They have zero cohesive strategy. They are throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks (not a lot, thus far).

The one thing they really needed to do since 2010, they didn’t do - cultivate amazing first party studios and exclusive games

Too late now. Activision seems like a vanity purchase for a company with too much dumb money to throw around

And now they are anchored to the reality that they can’t compete on exclusivity, it’s simply not a tenable strategy. And doing it for their smaller studios while getting a pass from Activision is just plain dumb. All their studios need to be third party for them to stay relevant

Turn Xbox into a high end PC that can swap out PC parts for a niche audience, support PlayStation and Nintendo hardware for the mainstream

I think the end goal is streaming/cloud but the tech isn’t there yet. Once we get off hardware completely they are more in control of their ecosystem, but they have to remain relevant until that time

Fabieter

Nah never heard of them really. They did nothing. We all chat about the nPhone today 🤣🤣

Dude you can be big and dont innovate fucking anything if you just better at selling your stuff because let's be real that's the most essential stuff for any business in the end. I dont know why this is bothering you.

StueyDuck

Dude you can be big and dont innovate fucking anything if you just better at selling your stuff because let's be real that's the most essential stuff for any business in the end. I dont know why this is bothering you.
Lol... historically the world will remember the Nokia smartphone that wasn't.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I think there is a clear lack of direction over at Microsoft. They want to sell subscriptions but they wont be able to without their own consoles. They want to post profits, but are spending $70 billion just to be able to do so. If they go third party it doesnt guarantee higher profit margins because Xbox wouldnt exactly exist. If Xbox exists then the R&D costs on hardware, operation systems and server costs for XBL will eat away all the profits just like its doing today.

I dont think they have thought any of this through.
Your problem is that you have agreed to believe that they are going to stop making console hardware and become an EA-type publisher simply because there is a current that is telling you that it is the only option for MS?

Perhaps you could also add other questions that would lead you to expect the opposite:

If MS's plan was to become a publisher like EA and abandon console hardware....

1-For what reason has it put (and continues to put in danger) the acquisition of ABK by refusing the obligation to release its games to PS5 and Switch beyond COD for 10 years?

2-Why is it that in the FTC appeals it still defends console exclusives today and does so on the basis of differentiating MP vs SP games. "case by case"

3- Why do they "reward" Sarah Bond with the leadership of Xbox hardware if they have decided that there will be no more hardware? Are they trying to humiliate her?🤔😅

4-Why does MS continue to sign agreements for the arrival of 3rd party games (AAA and indi games) to its console and ecosystem if the plan is to liquidate that ecosystem and its console business and become the same as EA and Take2?

5-The one that seems funniest to me🤣. Why is SONY still supporting the FTC against the acquisition of ABK by MS if by now they should already know that XBOX is stopping making consoles and all XGS+Bethesda+ABK games will be released on Playstation and will no longer have competition? 🤔🤗

I keep wondering what is the reason for the 180° change of opinion of some regarding what was defended during the ABK acquisition thread.

We have gone from "MS buys ABK with the sole objective of annihilating PS", "case by case is a lie to confuse judges and regulators", "the judge cannot believe that COD will come out on PS because it can afford to lose money and also only They sign for 10 years and then make it exclusive as well. "MS is thinking about its next Xbox and making all the games exclusive for it"...

It was simply adjusting the narrative to what is convenient at the moment.... They cannot admit that the situation means that MS must decide on a case-by-case basis what to make exclusive or not. Because supposedly that statement was a lie 🤗.

Now it is "they no longer need console hardware or ecosystem because they must recover the investment".... before it was that "they can afford to lose money to impose their console and the monopoly of their ecosystem...

Anyway. It is easier to wait and see what steps are taken before drawing conclusions. Firstly, because with MS it is difficult to be 100% certain about something. Secondly to avoid being portrayed like many people here that have changed the narrative 180° based on the same facts 😂

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Well you aint alone I always dream of all the innovationapple did. Must be the reason I cant remember any of my dreams tho.
I can only dream of Nokia though. They invented everything you know 🤣 some guy on the internet said so... that's why Nokia is one of the biggest mobile companies out there.

You know what you should do? You should randomly shout at people on the internet when they forget that Nokia is one of the biggest companies in the world with their nPhone we all use. 🤣

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Tom Warren is certainly a shill, and on the MS communications payroll, but far from a Sony shill…

With everyday that passes here, I think there's more Sony plants coming out of the wood work. Its like the message is to constantly spread fud that Microsoft are going full third party and dropping consoles yet there has been 0 communication to hints at the latter....or even full third party at all.

Shouldn't it just be people saying "cool, xbox games might come to playstation and switch" why does it mean hardware is ending?

What will the Sony industry line be from these shills or fanboys or whatever they are when Microsoft announce new hardware in the coming couple of years?

With everyday that passes here, I think there's more Sony plants coming out of the wood work. Its like the message is to constantly spread fud that Microsoft are going full third party and dropping consoles yet there has been 0 communication to hints at the latter....or even full third party at all.

Shouldn't it just be people saying "cool, xbox games might come to playstation and switch" why does it mean hardware is ending?

What will the Sony industry line be from these shills or fanboys or whatever they are when Microsoft announce new hardware in the coming couple of years?

Well we heard rumors from insiders of MS launching next gen early, which seems very peculiar

Hardware won’t end, but probably scaled back dramatically and sold at a profit to a more niche crowd

We have Nadella and MS shills coming out saying directly that MS is going third party

This isn’t something being planted by Sony shill sources

Fabieter

I can only dream of Nokia though. They invented everything you know 🤣 some guy on the internet said so... that's why Nokia is one of the biggest mobile companies out there.

You know what you should do? You should randomly shout at people on the internet when they forget that Nokia is one of the biggest companies in the world with their nPhone we all use. 🤣

They were the biggest by the time but missed their mark with the innovation they did but yes its alright. Apple is the best company of all time. Jesus.

StueyDuck

They were the biggest by the time but missed their mark with the innovation they did but yes its alright. Apple is the best company of all time. Jesus.
Jesus won't help you when it comes to praising the true lord and savior... the Nokia smartphone that never existed really 🤣

Top Bottom