• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella talks about the future of Xbox and multiplatform: "We are very happy with what's going on in gaming"

Killjoy-NL

Bruh read the shit you're saying lmao
I know exactly what I'm saying.

I'm surprised that you fail to understand such a simple concept.

Let's say MS releases Sea of Thieves and Hellblade 2 on Playstation.
Both become a succes and MS then decides to make the sequels exclusive after all on their console. This could potentially lead to part of PS installbase moving over to Xbox.

That would be a bad business decision by Sony then and make Xbox more competitive again.

Now, if MS were to become a proper 3rd party publisher like EA, it would be a completely different scenario.
(And sure, this doesn't mean that MS couldn't pull such a move anyway, but that goes for publishers like EA and Ubisoft as well.)

Last edited:

dorkimoe

The PS2 had no other hardware competition. Their competition were 3rd parties. First party games costed $10 less.
The Xbox launched a year later…
So Xbox Was there for 99% of its life

So Nintendo don't count and I take it PC and mobile don't count either. Well, in that case....
No they absolutely don’t. Nintendo doesn’t get like 90% of the third party games. Get out of here with that comparison.

Last edited:
I know exactly what I'm saying.

I'm surprised that you fail to understand such a simple concept.

Let's say MS releases Sea of Thieves and Hellblade 2 on Playstation.
Both become a succes and MS then decides to make the sequels exclusive after all on their console. This could potentially lead to part of PS installbase moving over to Xbox.

That would be a bad business decision by Sony then and make Xbox more competitive again.

Now, if MS were to become a proper 3rd party publisher like EA, it would be a completely different scenario.
(And sure, this doesn't mean that MS couldn't pull such a move anyway, but that goes for publishers like EA and Ubisoft as well.)

That wasn't hard was it?

Killjoy-NL

If Microsoft is publishing their games on PlayStation and Xbox, why would PlayStation owners buy an Xbox when they can just save $500 and play the games on PlayStation?
And what if after a period of time MS decides to make games exclusive to their platform again, after getting people hooked on their games?

Why don't all platform-holders just release their games on all competing platforms?

Sushi_Combo

And what if after a period of time MS decides to make games exclusive to their platform again, after getting people hooked on their games?

Why don't all platform-holders just release their games on all competing platforms?
And lose out on potential sales? I don't think they'd be foolish enough to do that. Maybe they make it a timed exclusive for their system but Xbox is not a brand that most consumers gravitate to anyway so most folks would just wait it out.

Killjoy-NL

And lose out on potential sales? I don't think they'd be foolish enough to do that. Maybe they make it a timed exclusive for their system but Xbox is not a brand that most consumers gravitate to anyway so most folks would just wait it out.
Going by that logic, all three platform-holders have been missing out on potential sales for generations.

Business doesn't work like that.

No, I said it in a simpler way, but apparently you need it spelled out.

Your argument was xbox selling all their first party titles on PlayStation might make people switch because reasons I won't say

Don't conflate simplifying an argument to actually explaining your argument

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

Going by that logic, all three platform-holders have been missing out on potential sales for generations.

Business doesn't work like that.
Nintendo and Sony have not been missing out on the 5 people who own Xbox's.
vince mcmahon wwe GIF

Killjoy-NL

Your argument was xbox selling all their first party titles on PlayStation might make people switch because reasons I won't say

Don't conflate simplifying an argument to actually explaining your argument
I said (all). And the reason should be obvious. Didn't expect common sense to need explaining.

Interfectum

No, but Nintendo missed out on millions of Playstation customers and vice versa.
No they aren't because they would have to staff up to port those games to the platforms. Nintendo runs a very lean and tight ship, it would cost them a lot to go Multiplatform.

MS, on the other hand, just bought the biggest multiplatform studio on the market. They are ready to go and would be stupid to not do it.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

No they aren't because they would have to staff up to port those games to the platforms. Nintendo runs a very lean and tight ship, it would cost them a lot to go Multiplatform.
Sure, there's much more to releasing multiplatform games than just installbase.

That's obvious. That's why I spoke about hurdles earlier, plural.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
We've been watching you shill relentlessly, only for Phil to turn around and "Proverbially" bitch slap you in your face. So now we're waiting for you to evangelise that proverbial slap and explain how it's a good thing like...

5gp.gif

You truly have nothing more rewarding or productive to do with your time? 🤣

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Microsoft needs to release new games day 1 with game pass for pc/xbox and 3-6 months later on other platforms.

They will still maintain an exclusive timeframe and generate some gamepass for most people who won’t wait for 3-6 months for COD / ElderScrolls etc

NickFire

Is that good for the industry? Not sure how it would play out to be honest.
I think it would be bad if Xbox completely went away, but I don't think that happens until they are comfortable being all cloud. That said, I don't really put much stock in the notion that MS continuing on the 2021/2022 plan is something we should root for or should have rooted for. They weren't spending all that money to advance or better the industry. And if has to be an all or nothing proposition, I prefer that the company who needs gaming to survive be the last one standing.

Until they concede from making consoles I would say no if I was Playstation as well.

It only really benefits Xbox for Playstation to release their games to a much wider audience.

If they aren't making consoles, that's a different story.

In the past I would have thought you were crazy. Then recently I found out that Fallout 76 was essentially saved by PS+. I think that's a pretty big deal and it made me rethink the whole strategy. PS has built a massive ecosystem of players and allowing MS access to them is helping MS more than I thought it was.

twilo99

As long as Xbox is selling consoles, it would be dumb for Playstation to just casually allow MS to start selling (all) their 1st party titles on their platform, since there is a chance it might persuade people to switch platform.

How is this even a question?

Why? They can be like Apple and collect 30% on sales… all gravy

Killjoy-NL

Why? They can be like Apple and collect 30% on sales… all gravy
Because this guy made a valid point:
In the past I would have thought you were crazy. Then recently I found out that Fallout 76 was essentially saved by PS+. I think that's a pretty big deal and it made me rethink the whole strategy. PS has built a massive ecosystem of players and allowing MS access to them is helping MS more than I thought it was.
Stuff like this creates mindshare. In turn, it can result in increasing marketshare and before you know it, they could become competitive again.

That's definitely something Sony, as a business, should keep in the back of their minds.
As do some Gaffers.

Tables can turn pretty quickly.

Top Bottom