• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella talks about the future of Xbox and multiplatform: "We are very happy with what's going on in gaming"

Baki

"We'll payer lower royalties because I want to" is pretty big dickin' it but you cope however.
We will give you exclusive marketing rights and content for a reduced royalty fee. Otherwise we’re going back to MS with this deal, which worked well during the 360 era.

Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 by over 15M units in the USA. COD is a heavy hitter in the USA. It made sense during the early PS4 era to sign a long term marketing deal with COD to strengthen PS and weaken Xbox in key markets.

Stooky

"We'll payer lower royalties because I want to" is pretty big dickin' it but you cope however.
making deals is not big dickin. making deals is compromising so both parties feel like they win. sony got many console sells from this and exclusive content. Did we need to revisit Activision sells per platform again? some of ya'll are just delusional about how this works.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

We're talking about Bobby big balls?
“If we did not move beyond standard revenue share that he [Bobby Kotick] intended to not place Call of Duty on Xbox", Bond has claimed.

Microsoft's Corporate VP added, "It was clear that Call of Duty would be on PS5 and that would not have been good if it was not also on Xbox if it was launching at the same time."

Bond said that Microsoft was sort of forced to cut a new revenue deal for Call of Duty. “Time was limited. We had players whose expectations we wanted to meet, so we ultimately made a decision that it was the best thing for the business.”

Cyberpunkd

We think that now, we have the ability to really do what we've always set out to do
Ah yes. All according to keikaku all along.

League Of Legends G2Army GIF by G2 Esports

Killjoy-NL

I believe both of those acquisitions directly link to the "spend Sony out of business" strategy.

Hence they were quick to cancel PS5 development of any Bethesda games.
I dunno.

Somehow it seems like MS bought ABK to make COD exclusive to GamePass and use the ABK catalogue as leverage to get GamePass on Playstation eventually.
Owning ABK will already be cheaper for them to get COD on GamePass.

Might also explain why Sony puts more focus on GaaS, so they have an alternative to COD.

Del_X

making deals is not big dickin. making deals is compromising so both parties feel like they win. sony got many console sells from this and exclusive content. Did we need to revisit Activision sells per platform again? some of ya'll are just delusional about how this works.
It’s unreal how you somehow think a $3 Trillion company is going to find themselves at the behest of a barely profitable electronics company

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
From 1:15:50 to 1:23:35.

Zenimax's Product Manager (Deli) essentially confirms the future multiplatform strategy, acknowledges the concerns from Xbox fans, but says that these concerns are not being considered. The decisions are based on metrics. The hardcore audience has concerns, but the money is made outside of that hardcore bubble.

Tsaki

Zenimax's Product Manager (Deli) essentially confirms the future multiplatform strategy, acknowledges the concerns from Xbox fans, but says that these concerns are not being considered. The decisions are based on metrics. The hardcore audience has concerns, but the money is made outside of that hardcore bubble.

Imagine going to an Xbox enthusiast podcast and telling them straight to their face "You don't matter in the grand scheme of things". Like yeah, these people are the 1% of the 1% but on the other hand Xbox relies so much on these enthusiasts for their marketing and feeding the hype machine.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Imagine going to an Xbox enthusiast podcast and telling them straight to their face "You don't matter in the grand scheme of things". Like yeah, these people are the 1% of the 1% but on the other hand Xbox relies so much on these enthusiasts for their marketing and feeding the hype machine.
Yep. I think it is going to be one of those scenarios where they created a 'monster' that now they are themselves struggling to deal with.

I also now 100% believe THIS is one of the big reasons why Sarah Bond was promoted to the Head of Xbox at this time. So Phil himself doesn't have to make this announcement and feel the wrath of the hardcore Xbox community.

giphy.gif

Tsaki

Yep. I think it is going to be one of those scenarios where they created a 'monster' that now they are themselves struggling to deal with.

I also now 100% believe THIS is one of the big reasons why Sarah Bond was promoted to the Head of Xbox at this time. So Phil himself doesn't have to make this announcement and feel the wrath of the hardcore Xbox community.

giphy.gif
Oh yeah. Though if it was Spencer he could make those sad-puppy eyes and weather the storm a bit, but he is probably done with this shit.

Stooky

It’s unreal how you somehow think a $3 Trillion company is going to find themselves at the behest of a barely profitable electronics company
i feel like i’m talking to 3 year old. ‘Xbox ’ is not 3 trillion dollar company. put your green cape up.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've had the best decade playing Playstation, Nintendo and PC, but 0 good games on XBox...how can any of this stuff bother you?

Xbox is dead, MSFT will be a "good publisher" for the rest of the platforms.

It's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

You personally have had 10 years of 0 good games on xbox, so xbox is dead?

Lol. OK.

Maybe dead to you but you have missed out on some good games.

I loved the massive amount of copium that the one host had...

"yeah I do data science for a living and know how dangerous it can be to mislead using statistics"

I'm like, bro, Xbox has less than 20% marketshare in EU/Japan.....and is getting outsold in the US as well. Microsoft just spent nearly $100B to have these studios fail on their own little walled garden? Talk about living in a fantasy world where Xbox is actually competitive. They are doing worse than the Xbox One era, despite releasing the biggest exclusive last year they will ever have in Starfield....and it did not matter one bit. Xbox sales went down.

That is not misleading statistics. That is cold hard reality that the clique of Xbox extremists does not matter whatsoever.

So basically this product manager says that MS is saying: screw you all loyal fanbase, we don’t care about your support and making our Xbox brand great by buying our stuff from the og Xbox to now. We’ll go full casual now because the data says so. (What could possibly go wrong)

Wulfer

I've had the best decade playing Playstation, Nintendo and PC, but 0 good games on XBox...how can any of this stuff bother you?

Xbox is dead, MSFT will be a "good publisher" for the rest of the platforms.

It's nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Would you like a sponge for your wet dream?

JTCx

giphy.gif
Lie Dispenser could soften the blow a bit by wearing a gamer tshirt.

Killjoy-NL

So basically this product manager says that MS is saying: screw you all loyal fanbase, we don’t care about your support and making our Xbox brand great by buying our stuff from the og Xbox to now. We’ll go full casual now because the data says so. (What could possibly go wrong)
He's not saying "screw the loyal fanbase", he's saying "we're running a business and 1% is insignificant".

People have been moving away from Xbox since last-gen and this gen it's clear that Xbox has become irrelevant.

Hence why Spencer was saying "I read the discussions online, but people are wrong. It's not just a matter of releasing good games".

He also denies that Halo Infinite is going multiplatform, so it’s possible that it really is just a limited selection of games.

Crayon

What kind of 3rd party support switch 2 gets is a big question for me. If it's possible to release a game like starfield or cod on it, that becomes this whole other big userbase to ignore while it eats into yours. In the worst case (most multiplatform games release on switch 2) it would become a multi-front battle for Xbox. If they went 3rd party it would turn that situation good for them.

The loyal fanbase need the least amount of pandering to keep. Mathematically that means you don't spend your marketing and discounts on them because it is inefficient.

The purpose of a Fan is to GIVE, not to TAKE. Fans are suppose to spend more money than they need without needing the rewards. If you need rewards to be a fan, you are just a regular consumer.

The loyal fanbase need the least amount of pandering to keep. Mathematically that means you don't spend your marketing and discounts on them because it is inefficient.

The purpose of a Fan is to GIVE, not to TAKE. Fans are suppose to spend more money than they need without needing the rewards. If you need rewards to be a fan, you are just a regular consumer.

True, but if the fan that promotes your stuff is hang out to dry completely without even giving a finger to this fan, the fan will become a non-fan, not making free commercial for your brand anymore, contrary, creating anti-commercial because of delusion and sadness. The casuals slowly take this over and Bammmm, nobody buys your stuff anymore after a while.

True, but if the fan that promotes your stuff is hang out to dry completely without even giving a finger to this fan, the fan will become a non-fan, not making free commercial for your brand anymore, contrary, creating anti-commercial because of delusion and sadness. The casuals slowly take this over and Bammmm, nobody buys your stuff anymore after a while.
If what recent interviews are implying what i think, it is suggesting that superfans in Xbox are just not spending enough money overall for the big wigs in Microsoft to care. yes, individually they spend a lot of money, but overall the total amount of money is nothing to Microsoft. As the interviewee said, it is all about the Metrics.

Killjoy-NL

If what recent interviews are implying what i think, it is suggesting that superfans in Xbox are just not spending enough money overall for the big wigs in Microsoft to care. yes, individually they spend a lot of money, but overall the total amount of money is nothing to Microsoft. As the interviewee said, it is all about the Metrics.
Why is this even up for debate?

This should be obvious to anyone. The hardcore Xbox fanbase is insignificant when you look at the broad picture, just like forums are an insignificant portion of the gaming community.
They live in their own little bubble and are in no way representative of reality and the average consumer.

You think rich Daddy, Nutella is gonna keep bailing out his underperforming son, Phil Spender forever? That's a possibility.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
We will give you exclusive marketing rights and content for a reduced royalty fee.
We will let you sell our game for us and in exchange we will keep more money for every copy you sell and also ... a hat or something.

RickMasters

you can connect a pc to a tv too though. 360 BC isn't actually BC, it downloads and requires internet to play, you wont be able to play "BC" when they take the servers down eventually.

Huh? I play BC games without an internet connection all the time. Maybe you are talking about the online MP components? I can assure if you bought and downloaded something like blue dragon for example then disconnect your Xbox from the internet it is still playable. And what do you mean it isn’t actual BC…. I have a bunch of OG Xbox and X360 games dowanloaded to my Xbox series X, playing them right off the same external Hard drive I used to have plugged into my one X. I was literally playing panzer dragoon orta during an internet outage on Friday evening, just gone. So you are deffo wrong about needing an internet connection to play BC games you have bought and downloaded.

Brucey

I have seen people say they are going full 3rd party and withdrawing from the console making business which I don't see happening, I see more of whats been happening

The 80b spent did what it was intended to do, increase their revenue

What happens next is what will be interesting
MS spent 80 billion on acquisitions so they could bring in 8 billion a year in revenue and some potential profit in there as well?

Of course if this money was sitting in some offshore account maybe it made sense to spend it.

Top Bottom