• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella talks about the future of Xbox and multiplatform: "We are very happy with what's going on in gaming"

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sometimes here I feel like a 38 year old man creeping on 8 years olds on the playground arguing the superiority of the SNES vs. Genesis.

I Dont Morgan Freeman GIF

This so much. The amount of gifs etc I'm seeing like this is some huge betrayel to xbox and my personal feelings are like...put the games everywhere. Who actually gives a shit. 😆

Last edited:
People make the mistake to underestimate Apple.. they are way more efficient than Microsoft, and equally ruthless. You really DO NOT want Apple as a direct competitor. They will destroy you.
Seeing the transformation of Apple TV+ has had in the last couple of years and the accelerated growth of Apple Music confirms this.

I said it before that if somehow, Apple starts to invest heavily in Gaming, they’ll release an Apple One subscription including music, cloud, series/movies, AAA gaming, etc that will eclipse most content companies.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People make the mistake to underestimate Apple.. they are way more efficient than Microsoft, and equally ruthless. You really DO NOT want Apple as a direct competitor. They will destroy you.
If Apple can jump in and offer even better games and hardware, then why not? Just because Sony and Nintendo would be threatened. Fuck them.

We want better games and experiences. Sony and Nintendo are providing them right now, so they are buying their offerings. Microsoft isn't offering good games, so we aren't buying their games. If Apple offers even better games than Sony and Nintendo, then we'll happily jump ship and buy Apple's games.

Obviously trolling but I don’t give a shit what the tweeter is saying, I’m only listening to the words from Satya’s mouth and it’s not sounding good for anyone that’s thinking MS aren’t pivoting.
He's actually referring to the Activision deal and of course that's what they're currently doing with COD and some other games. Nothing new here and certainly not going full third party.

Microsoft know certain games will do well and should be multiplatform (Minecraft for eg) but unfortunately for you guys on Gaf you've not engaged your common sense and you've created your own little world where Microsoft brings all its games to everyone 😆 you lot do make me laugh.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jim Ryan once said they believe in generations, yet we know how that turned out.
Yes, a bunch of fools and/or bad faith actors kept misinterpreting the quote intentionally to troll or to try to make their faction feel better, the ones that actually read it understood what it meant and saw Sony actually delivering it and they are keeping their expectations in check for PS5 Pro.

kyliethicc said:
Sony never said shit about Microsoft and never said "no cross gen games."

Find the lie. (Spoiler- there is none.)

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features."

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

- Jimmy Sony

Its standard marketing saying "PS5 is not just a PS4 Pro 2.0." Its hyping the hardware.

After so many years and discussions on the topic, parroting that line just outs you ;). So fill your boots…

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

That being said, they really are about the same size and both make a lot of money for shareholders. And Apple would need strong partners if they ever wanted to launch a real console.
I think the brand would give it a big boost, regardless of the competition. There are some people that would just buy it because it says apple, and there are others that would buy it if it had a clear performance advantage.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You did it man.

3-9.png

The thing I find funny about all these comments, is what loss is their? What of anything is lost? - Being able to say a game is exclusive to a console, thats available on Xbox and PC day one anyway?

Its like fanboys of streaming services using the fact that John Wick 4 is exclusive to Amazon Prime before Netflix lol

I can't believe people in their 40s argue over this shit lmao and the strange passive aggressive gifs etc just make me feel so much better that I truly don't care about any of this stuff.

I've had the best year last year playing Nintendo Switch and PC / Gamepass and then one good game in Spider Man 2 on my PS5...how can any of this stuff bother any of you/us? It's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Microsoft is, at heart, a software company. They can't resist the urge to have CoD and Minecraft and the like on every platform because it makes them too much money. As a result, they will never have the exclusive appeal required to build a successful platform of their own. At this point in time, the Xbox console is more like an OEM PC - good enough to play what you want, but not so much a brand in itself as a default option for people who don't have a particular preference. And Microsoft likes it that way because they believe Xbox will become a commodity, just like a Windows PC.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Microsoft and Satya doing an amazing job at creating a narrative before they sit down and get grilled by the FTC and questioned by "gamers"

It's like everyone's forgetting that the ABK purchase is being challenged.

You got it backwards. If ms gets more games to more platforms that will help them buy even more of the gaming industry.

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by trying to acquire a leading console manufacturer in the 90's and get laughed out of the room by their executives. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame and pronouns to yourself, and the only way to get rid of those shame and pronouns, is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Xbox consoles at all, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Satya and Phil, publicly apologize and cancel this abomination named Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League and bring back Scalebound, or you can kiss your business goodbye.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
This so much. The amount of gifs etc I'm seeing like this is some huge betrayel to xbox and my personal feelings are like...put the games everywhere. Who actually gives a shit. 😆
When you’re out here calling people shills for just stating a view, you obviously give a shit. When you're complaining about gifs, but then post emojis like that’s some superior alternative, you obviously give a shit. When you come to the defense of a brand to the extent that you have, you obviously give a shit. 💩

You’re better off not trying to drive a narrative and just accept that you like what you like and want to see the Xbox device remain in place. From that angle, I’d understand. If you’re truly all about “when we all play, we all win”, why does it matter if people think hardware will drop at some point?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Nobody I've seen has been talking about "betrayal".
Weird choice of words.

Only fanboys would consider business-decisions betrayal, the rest just looks at it as business. No need for emotional attachment.

Fabieter

Nobody I've seen has been talking about "betrayal".
Weird choice of words.

Only fanboys would consider business-decisions betrayal, the rest just looks at it as business. No need for emotional attachment.

I mean "scamming" people is part of alot of businesses

King Dazzar

The thing I find funny about all these comments, is what loss is their? What of anything is lost? - Being able to say a game is exclusive to a console, thats available on Xbox and PC day one anyway?

Its like fanboys of streaming services using the fact that John Wick 4 is exclusive to Amazon Prime before Netflix lol

I can't believe people in their 40s argue over this shit lmao and the strange passive aggressive gifs etc just make me feel so much better that I truly don't care about any of this stuff.

I've had the best year last year playing Nintendo Switch and PC / Gamepass and then one good game in Spider Man 2 on my PS5...how can any of this stuff bother any of you/us? It's nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Hey man, you're posting with an awful lot of energy for someone who doesn't care. It would be far more refreshing if Xbox users, came across straight up and were on the level. Recognising the PR brand handling of all of this is mismanagement in action. You'd expect some reassurance at the least for existing customers on their console as to what the future holds for them, when investing anymore in either their digital library or hardware. Instead we've got GAF being blamed as though its their fault for having the intelligence to see whats taking shape.

Why wont more Xbox customers demand better of the Xbox management team. Instead its just spin and constant deflection.

Brucey

Then he goes to think about reusing gaming hardware that were used for graphics (notice he talks in past) for AI, their main focus right now:
I read that as GPUs can do graphics for games or be used for AI. Very similar. Not that they are repurposing xcloud blades for AI. But what he's trying to sell the shareholders/board is that these tens of billions of spending for Xbox is strategically related to their AI push. Seems like gibberish but they'll prob love it.

Jakk

Wtf, that quote confirms nothing. They are making some games across all platforms right now, it doesn't mean they are going full 3rd party. Why are so many people over-analyzing every word some CEO says. It really feels like some of you were born yesterday.

And before someone calls me an Xbox fanboy, I couldn't care less if they go 3rd party, I would actually welcome it. I have always had a PS + PC combo.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Wtf, that quote confirms nothing. They are making some games across all platforms right now, it doesn't mean they are going full 3rd party. Why are so many people over-analyzing every word some CEO says. It really feels like some of you were born yesterday.

And before someone calls me an Xbox fanboy, I couldn't care less if they go 3rd party, I would actually welcome it. I have always had a PS + PC combo.
If that quote confirms nothing, why did you give it so much energy? I always scratch my head at the posts that act like they have some superior thinking while doing the same thing everyone else is — speculating. If this were the only thing to happen recently, I'd get being more skeptical.

Why not question their management about letting the speculations run wild? Under any other circumstance, we'd either hear a flat out "no" or "we don't comment on rumors and speculations". What are people to assume when these weeks long discussions continue to fester unchallenged? They don't have to be going full 3rd party for it to be apparent that something major is going on.

Last edited:
I wonder if they’ll just announce some new product line called like “xbox originals” or something that you can get on other consoles.

Jakk

If that quote confirms nothing, why did you give it so much energy? I always scratch my head at the posts that act like they have some superior thinking while doing the same thing everyone else is — speculating. If this were the only thing to happen recently, I'd get being more skeptical.

Why not question their management about letting the speculations run wild? Under any other circumstance, we'd either hear a flat out "no" or "we don't comment on rumors and speculations". What are people to assume when these weeks long discussions continue to fester unchallenged? They don't have to be going full 3rd party for it to be apparent that something major is going on.
Not sure how is writing one short post "so much energy". I would also say a quote from a random PR interview not confirming anything is a fact, not a speculation.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Not sure how is writing one short post "so much energy". I would also say a quote from a random PR interview not confirming anything is a fact, not a speculation.
Problem is, no one said anything was fact. All folks are saying is there are plenty of signs showing that something's up. Satya's input is but one of several. Of course, nobody knows anything for sure. Maybe nothing's up, but you can't claim that as some form of hard truth either.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
When you’re out here calling people shills for just stating a view, you obviously give a shit. When you're complaining about gifs, but then post emojis like that’s some superior alternative, you obviously give a shit. When you come to the defense of a brand to the extent that you have, you obviously give a shit. 💩

You’re better off not trying to drive a narrative and just accept that you like what you like and want to see the Xbox device remain in place. From that angle, I’d understand. If you’re truly all about “when we all play, we all win”, why does it matter if people think hardware will drop at some point?

Hey man, you're posting with an awful lot of energy for someone who doesn't care. It would be far more refreshing if Xbox users, came across straight up and were on the level. Recognising the PR brand handling of all of this is mismanagement in action. You'd expect some reassurance at the least for existing customers on their console as to what the future holds for them, when investing anymore in either their digital library or hardware. Instead we've got GAF being blamed as though its their fault for having the intelligence to see whats taking shape.

Why wont more Xbox customers demand better of the Xbox management team. Instead its just spin and constant deflection.

Completely agree that the only thing I "care" about is if the hardware is supported and my past purchases etc will be covered. That's the only thing that would piss me off, and the uncertainty of IF MS killed hardware and in essence my account. I get the whole, that's the risk of making any online purchase but I would genuinely be pissed at them if they cut hardware off and i essentially lost all of my account history.

The rest, I genuinely am more than happy if games go to other platforms. That is nothing but a good thing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Can you please point where Satya said "some games?"

Here is the full quote for your convenience: "We're very, very excited about everything that's going on in gaming, especially with the close of ABK. We think that now, we have the ability to really do what we've always set out to do, which is to build great games and deliver them to folks on all platforms, right, which is Xbox and consoles, the PCs, and now even including mobile gaming and cloud gaming."

Last edited:

Klayzer

For real. Microsoft could have shut all the speculation down last week with a definitive statement. Their silence only gives credence to the rumors.

Interfectum

For real. Microsoft could have shut all the speculation down last week with a definitive statement. Their silence only gives credence to the rumors.
My assumption is that Nadella might have informed Spencer that the Xbox sales weren't sufficient to justify a significant investment in exclusive software, and he likely set a specific sales target. This could be the reason behind the significant discounts on Xbox during Christmas. It seems Phil Spencer may not have met this target, which might explain his silence. Nadella appears to be opposed to exclusivity, and given the current sales figures, it's challenging for Spencer to make a case for it. This situation seems to be a clear indicator of the platform's future direction.

Last edited:

Jakk

Problem is, no one said anything was fact. All folks are saying is there are plenty of signs showing that something's up. Satya's input is but one of several. Of course, nobody knows anything for sure. Maybe nothing's up, but you can't claim that as some form of hard truth either.
I've seen multiple people say Microsoft going 3rd party is pretty much confirmed in this thread, and that's who I was mainly referring to in my original post. I never said nothing's happening, I just said a random quote from the CEO doesn't confirm anything. Mainly when Microsoft already has some games on other platforms.

I'm aware of the rumors about Microsoft bringing more games to other platforms and I think that's much more likely than them going full 3rd party.

Klayzer

If I had to guess, I bet Nadella told Spencer there was not enough Xbox's sold to warrant this much exclusive software on console and that he was tasked with getting over a certain number. It would explain the fire sale at Christmas for the Xbox. And I'm guessing Phil didn't reach the number which is why he isn't saying shit. The writing is on the wall for the platform.
I mentioned before, that it looks like Phil has been muzzled. No way in hell he wouldn't have an opinion on these rumors.

I've seen multiple people say Microsoft going 3rd party is pretty much confirmed in this thread, and that's who I was mainly referring to in my original post. I never said nothing's happening, I just said a random quote from the CEO doesn't confirm anything. Mainly when Microsoft already has some games on other platforms.

I'm aware of the rumors about Microsoft bringing more games to other platforms and I think that's much more likely than them going full 3rd party.
9Lt1mWZ.jpg

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Again, if it was just a random quote, sure. That's not what's happening and what Satya said wasn't just random words.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

My assumption is that Nadella might have informed Spencer that the Xbox sales weren't sufficient to justify a significant investment in exclusive software, and he likely set a specific sales target. This could be the reason behind the significant discounts on Xbox during Christmas. It seems Phil Spencer may not have met this target, which might explain his silence. Nadella appears to be opposed to exclusivity, and given the current sales figures, it's challenging for Spencer to make a case for it. This situation seems to be a clear indicator of the platform's future direction.
Wasn't the specific target for the continuation of Xbox as we know it the 100M GP subs by 2027?

They are never going to reach that number. I even doubt they'd reach it if they would go 3rd party completely.

Jakk

Can you please point where Satya said "some games?"

Here is the full quote for your convenience: "We're very, very excited about everything that's going on in gaming, especially with the close of ABK. We think that now, we have the ability to really do what we've always set out to do, which is to build great games and deliver them to folks on all platforms, right, which is Xbox and consoles, the PCs, and now even including mobile gaming and cloud gaming."
I refuse to believe you can be serious with this :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Interfectum

Wasn't the specific target for the continuation of Xbox as we know it the 100M GP subs by 2027?

They are never going to reach that number. I even doubt they'd reach it if they would go 3rd party completely.
Probably.

My point is more that we know Nadella is against exclusive software. So Phil has to pose an argument to him as to why Xbox needs exclusive software. It's kind of hard to push that argument to stay exclusive when your console is a distant third place.

Nadella is up in trillion dollar land, he doesn't give a fuck about 20-some million xbox's getting sold. He wants his AI/Azure driven shit everywhere and not even Phil can stop it.

Interfectum

Like I said, I never even owned an Xbox, so I don't really care. I just find it funny how many people are overanalyzing a random quote.
"random quote" backed up by many other random quotes. Also Phil throwing in the towel on KF. Also zero platform announcements for Blade. etc etc etc.

It's happening.

Expect new marketing materials for Xbox to be along the lines of "play it here first on Game Pass" and shit like that. Xbox will become the early access console for their games.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

"random quote" backed up by many other random quotes. Also Phil throwing in the towel on KF. Also zero platform announcements for Blade. etc etc etc.

It's happening.

Expect new marketing materials for Xbox to be along the lines of "play it here first on Game Pass" and shit like that. Xbox will become the early access console for their games.
They should've put an end to the rumors already if they weren't true.

This is going to spiral out of control, effectively killing the brand.

Soon FFVII Rebirth will release on PS5 and it'll become a slaughterhouse in sales numbers. Momentum for PS5 will gain even more traction.

Last edited:

Gravemind

Seemed inevitable for a long time. Probably the best path forward for Xbox and MS to be honest. Software is where the money is and its no secret Xbox hardware is generally sold at a loss. I don't think they'll stop making XBox consoles, but the importance of the console to their overall strategy will be even less than it is now. Software will be at the center of their business and the console will shift to being just one small avenue to sell that software. I can see them releasing a premium $800-$1000 console/PC hybrid, where components are upgradable, releasing new components yearly or bi-yearly. They'll likely have a very cheap cloud streaming based system as well to target the "casual" audience. For everyone in between, PC will be an option as well as games being made available on other consoles.

Everyone seems to be dunking on MS with these moves but they'll undoubtedly be a stronger and more lucrative business going forward if this is the plan. The dunking should probably instead be focused on the die hard Xbox console warriors who are more interested in gatekeeping games away from other players. The same will happen to Sony die hard warriors years from now when Sony inevitably starts releasing their games day 1 on PC. They're going to start chasing that software money as well, as they already have by testing the water with older titles.

Exclusivity as we know it today will likely be a thing of the past within the next decade or so as it starts making less and less sense economically.

Exactly, I prefer my Xbox over my PlayStation but I don’t give a fuck, put all the Xbox games everywhere!

Top Bottom