• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella talks about the future of Xbox and multiplatform: "We are very happy with what's going on in gaming"

Mr Hyde

So he mentioned Sony and Nintendo this time. Interesting.

Wow. Straight from the horses mouth. Pretty much a guarantee now. I wonder when MS is going to rip off the band-aid. Is it gonna be quick and painful? Or slow and gentle?

And some people in this thread are still in denial about them pivoting and going third party….

I guess some people really wanna go down with the ship, nuts if you ask me.

maqsulE.gif
iGo9qrX.gif

KBJfGCH.gif

6Bmj77m.gif

TransTrender

Gold Member
And some people in this thread are still in denial about them pivoting and going third party….

Watching that clip I don't see a part where Nintendo is mentioned twice.
The quote is '...Sony and Nintendo and PCs and EKSBAAKS.'
Not sure if the Tweet is trying to troll.

Watching that clip I don't see a part where Nintendo is mentioned twice.
The quote is '...Sony and Nintendo and PCs and EKSBAAKS.'
Not sure if the Tweet is trying to troll.
Obviously trolling but I don’t give a shit what the tweeter is saying, I’m only listening to the words from Satya’s mouth and it’s not sounding good for anyone that’s thinking MS aren’t pivoting.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The reason why Apple would consider this is no upfront cost and potential exclusive titles. They have no software companies or experience in the area. It would be a rebirth, with the apple logo on it, if it had some sort of monster dual M3 chip in it, there might be something there.
They definately need somebody's help or buy every other publisher left. I know it's unlikley though, they aren't exaclty best friends. I think a MS / Nintendo alliance would be more likely.
What do you mean when you say Apple has no experience in the software area? Who do you think develops MacOS, iOS, TvOS, the Metal API, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, Garage Band...they have a huge library of software applications. They created the software and development environment that people use to create apps and games for the Apple ecosystem.

There's no console play for Apple that makes sense. They wouldn't do any better against Sony or Nintendo than Microsoft has. But it's not because they don't know anything about software.

Rob_27

Just make games people want. Personally I prefer single player and more adult themed. Throw a bit of sci fi or apocalypse type shit in and I'm there. No kid multiplayer bollocks.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wouldn't hardware include VR headsets? Or did they say consoles?
Sony released so much different hardware recently it could be everything except consoles. They were also doing price promotions recently so....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

twilo99

I'm surprised that he said gaming/xbox is "core" now but if you think about it when they add the revenue from ABK the xbox division might actually overtake Windows in terms of revenue..

Likely not in terms of profit, but it's a significant jump

Last edited:
Anyone of you remember that PlayStation fan here on GAF, who was permed last year, the one with the cowboy hat profile pic, who gets triggered when Sony announces PC ports? Lol

twilo99

Heard him say gaming was a core business not xbox.

Did you just make that up as part of your process?

Sure whatever you want to call it, it’s obviously gaining importance internally, and I think it’s mainly due to ABK.

Astray

Gold Member
Man, some people in this thread are headed straight towards some great emotional hurt.

Sometimes the 2.9T company CEO just.. knows what he's talking about, no?

twilo99

But what ship is going down? The obsession with the actual boxes as a separate thing?

It’s almost like everyone just wants them to not make plastic boxes but I don’t see a reason for them to stop

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
What do you mean when you say Apple has no experience in the software area? Who do you think develops MacOS, iOS, TvOS, the Metal API, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, Garage Band...they have a huge library of software applications. They created the software and development environment that people use to create apps and games for the Apple ecosystem.

There's no console play for Apple that makes sense. They wouldn't do any better against Sony or Nintendo than Microsoft has. But it's not because they don't know anything about software.

They have no internal software teams that make games. Zero experience making games. All games for Apple Arcade were farmed out. It's not that complicated.
Are suggesting that making an OS somehow makes you ready for game development?

It took MS like 20 years and 300 billion dollars and they still don't have it down, but ok, Apple knows software so they don't need anyone, lol.

Last edited:
This sounds like a third party and it basically renders owning their console pointless. What do they think this will do to XBOX hardware sales if this becomes normal? I feel it’s common sense. I understand they are hoping this will maximize software sales, but if they really do plan on staying in the console/device business this is probably going to be even more detrimental to their hardware sales.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

IGN did a write-up, and provided their take.
Nothing official in it / from Microsoft.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
There will always be more money in software and services than just selling hardware. People are crazy if they think MS will just give away their game on other platform for nothing. They will want to push gamepass first.

IGN did a write-up, and provided their take.
Nothing official in it / from Microsoft.

If those TV shows about politics and corporations are telling the truth, i could see this piece being a product of MS´s PR in a direct or indirect way.

There will always be more money in software and services than just selling hardware. People are crazy if they think MS will just give away their game on other platform for nothing. They will want to push gamepass first.
there are to giving their games away for nothing . they are getting a 70% cut of each unit sold in other platforms.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If those TV shows about politics and corporations are telling the truth, i could see this piece being a product of MS´s PR in a direct or indirect way.
Most of the recent news is a part of that PR. Even these leaks.

Imagine the shit show if there were no leaks an discussion at all, and Xbox just one day announced Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves for PlayStation.

Killjoy-NL

They’re not dropping hardware, they’re going to double-down on GamePass with an extremely cheap cloud only console to try get more people through the door.

IvMhiaV.jpg

Perhaps the games going everywhere is to supplement if that fails.
Seems plausible.

That's also why I mentioned there being hurdles irt MS releasing games on PlayStation.

They're down, but not out yet.

Last edited:

twilo99

They have no internal software teams that make games. Zero experience making games. All games for Apple Arcade were farmed out. It's not that complicated.
Are suggesting that making an OS somehow makes you ready for game development?

It took MS like 20 years and 300 billion dollars and they still don't have it down, but ok, Apple knows software so they don't need anyone, lol.

People make the mistake to underestimate Apple.. they are way more efficient than Microsoft, and equally ruthless. You really DO NOT want Apple as a direct competitor. They will destroy you.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft and Satya doing an amazing job at creating a narrative before they sit down and get grilled by the FTC and questioned by "gamers"

It's like everyone's forgetting that the ABK purchase is being challenged.

Last edited:
Top Bottom