• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales: In terms of UK boxed sales, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth's opening week is down nearly 30% over the launch of the previous game

saintjules

Yeah the Pandemic ironically helped Remake's sales during lockdown, so it makes sense here on the uptick of sales back then.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
down nearly 30% over the launch

Affirmation Smiling GIF by Digital Pratik

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Data is ALWAYS relevant. Don't be that guy that tries to eliminate context to push a narrative.
Install base is irrelevant. BOTW went on to sell 30M+ copies and started off with an install base of 0 (or 12M for the Wii U but no one bought that).

Games of that caliber move consoles, not the other way around.

The big x-factor here are digital sales because they represent a significantly higher amount than they did back when Remake was released.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Of course sales will be lower. This is not a stand alone game, you need to have played and finished the first game before you can start with Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. In my case I bought the first game when it came out back in 2020 but I never got around to playing it. Now the sequel is out, I'm in no hurry to buy it at full price. I can easily wait for a price drop. Don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.

Jaybe

Was Remake received really well? I had thought it was mixed. What I see tends to happen is a sequel to a mixed game doesn’t do so well, even if by accounts the sequel is much better. Same with the opposite.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think the twin pack where you get FF7 Remake for free for the same price was digital only? So I guess that would drive a few people towards buying it digitally.

Gaiff

Smaller install base, higher price, no more covid/stay at home factor.
Yet Spider-Man 2 is outpacing its predecessor. Higher install base is damn near irrelevant. Higher price doesn't seem to have much of an impact on this game of this level. The covid factor and the digital copies are the big differentiators.

Yet Spider-Man 2 is outpacing its predecessor. Higher install base is damn near irrelevant. Higher price doesn't seem to have much of an impact on this game of this level. The covid factor and the digital copies are the big differentiators.
As far as i know Spider-Man 2 didn't sell more physically than the first game. We don't know if FFVII Rebirth is doing better or worse than its predecessor overall.

Gaiff

Spiderman is a different beast entirely, the demographic for that game is much broader than it is for this one.
No, it isn't. The argument of the install base is easily debunked. BOTW was a launch title is now sits at 30M. Mario 64 is the best-selling N64 game and was also a launch title. FF VII on PS1 sold better than any other but came out on a smaller base than VIII and IX.
As far as i know Spider-Man 2 didn't sell more physically than the first game. We don't know if FFVII Rebirth is doing better or worse than its predecessor overall.
Which is my point. Digital sales likely explain why the boxed sales are down. Sales might be up overall but with more digital copies. The install base argument doesn't work and never has for major exclusives. They don't scale linearly. It's like when people were being foolish by trying to use attach rate as an argument. As if a game on a platform with 10M users will suddenly sell 10x the amount of copies on a platform with 100M users.

Gaiff

This is an absurd statement without data to support it.
No, it's the exact opposite. I used Spider-Man 2 as an example and BOTW as well. We have countless examples of launch (or early) games moving crazy amounts of units on tiny install bases because people buy consoles to play them.

The data doesn't support that AAA exclusive game sales scale with install base.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
a remake of an extremely old game from the 90s, hell I'm surprised it's selling as well as it is!
A remake (of sorts) of one of the most beloved RPGs of all time, a game that people who played it had an immense emotional attachment to, I'm surprised it's not selling better than it is.

Mowcno

Install base is irrelevant. BOTW went on to sell 30M+ copies and started off with an install base of 0 (or 12M for the Wii U but no one bought that).

Games of that caliber move consoles, not the other way around.

The big x-factor here are digital sales because they represent a significantly higher amount than they did back when Remake was released.
Of course it's relevant and your example makes no sense. This comparison is launch sales not lifetime sales.

BOTW sold 4.7m in 6 months, ToTK sold 10m in 2 days. Installbase absolutely effects sales.

Last edited:
I expected a lot worse, but if sales less than 400K in Japan first week like FFXVI is not going to look for the franchise at all.

No, it isn't. The argument of the install base is easily debunked. BOTW was a launch title is now sits at 30M. Mario 64 is the best-selling N64 game and was also a launch title. FF VII on PS1 sold better than any other but came out on a smaller base than VIII and IX.

Which is my point. Digital sales likely explain why the boxed sales are down. Sales might be up overall but with more digital copies. The install base argument doesn't work and never has for major exclusives. They don't scale linearly. It's like when people were being foolish by trying to use attach rate as an argument. As if a game on a platform with 10M users will suddenly sell 10x the amount of copies on a platform with 100M users.

Dude...it's Spiderman.

I get what you're saying and agree with you in part, but Spiderman's the most popular fictional character on the planet. Very few IP have that type of cache, and Final Fantasy isn't one of them.

But I agree VII Rebirth is probably doing a shitload of sales digitally. Even in the UK PS games tend to do better digital than Xbox versions. However, there's a factor where again, the early advertised date for "potentially other versions" in May could actually suppress sales for the game on PS5 if people genuinely think a PC or even Xbox version's releasing in 3 months.

Don't know who between SIE and SE keep putting that fine print in the adverts but it's one of the dumbest things I've seen a company trying to push sales at launch do in a very long time.

lifa-cobex

I know of a number of people who were turned off by the ending of the first game.
People who played the original so possible factor?

But then I know of a couple who are waiting to see if it's released on PC.
Another possible factor.

I'm in the latter.
Not that I appreciated the ending either.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Exception, not the rule.
Super Mario 64, best-selling N64 game and a launch title. The list can go on because once again, when a platform has lots of great games, people will buy them. The amount of great games explains the amount of console sales, not the other way around.

vOmDVuL.png

Look at the top-selling PS2 games. You'd think the best-selling ones would all be late games but 6/10 came out within 2 years of the platform's release.

What about PS4? Same thing. Second best-selling game is GTA IV that came out in 2014. Third one is Uncharted 4 that came out in May 2016, 1.5 years after launch. The The Witcher 3, 6 months later. And it goes on and on and on.

Of course it's relevant and your example makes no sense. This comparison is launch sales not lifetime sales.
I'm discussing long term sales and totals. The argument that the main difference explaining the boxed sales disparity is the install base is incorrect. A much more important factor is the split between digital and physical, and the fact that FF VII Remake was released during the peak of the COVID. These are much more relevant than a 60M install base vs 90-100M.
BOTW sold 4.7m in 6 months, ToTK sold 10m in 2 days. Installbase absolutely effects sales.
They don't have a major impact on AAA exclusive lifetime sales as countless examples show. Furthermore, the smashing success of BOTW is more responsible for those big numbers than the number of Switches available for TOTK. Games sell consoles, not the other way around. Halo 2 was one of the best-selling games of its generation and there were what, 25M Xbox sold?

Last edited:
People also bought Remake thinking it was a Remake and a lot of the liberal changes / VII-2 shit would have turned off a certain amount of buyers. Not saying that's the reason, but probably one of them.

Beginning of lockdowns, bigger install base, etc plenty of reasons for this to start a bit slower.

Top Bottom