• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

Banned
Luigison said:
This SNES talk got me wondering about the price of Blu-ray and DVD vs. solid state memory chips like the 3DS uses. Could we possible be going full circle in the future? Imagine the reaction if Nintendo went BACK to cartridges/chips in a home console.

manufacturing cost is low on the 3DS cards, you can see here how much of it is silicon and it is not much larger than your fingernail. It is not the memory capacity perse that is costly, it is the physical silicon that makes up these chips. Capacity costs more if you have to double up on ROM chips like they used to do on larger N64 or SNES cartridges, but the limit of current ROM is how small they can print the circruits in these chips.

NDS-disassembly-08-300x225.jpg

That said, it currently is still a premium to produce 2GB cards in mass production.

I don't see them going with a format that is slightly larger than GC discs when they already have plain old DVDs that hold twice that amount single sided.

The worst you can expect is that is uses NoD (Nintendo optical disc) format and not its blu-ray equivalent.

That said, I think there is a possibility they may include a cartridge slot for DS/3DS games. There is certainly good reason to speculate that the eshop might be integrated cross platform.

bidaum

Deku said:
manufacturing cost is low on the 3DS cards, you can see here how much of it is silicon and it is not the memory capacity perse that is costly, it is the physical silicon that makes up these chips.

That said, it currently is still a premium to produce 2GB cards in mass production.

I don't see them going with a format that is slightly larger than GC discs when they already have plain old DVDs that hold twice that amount single sided.

The worst you can expect is that is uses NoD (Nintendo optical disc) format and not its blu-ray equivalent.

That said, I think there is a possibility they may include a cartridge slot for DS/3DS games. There is certainly good reason to speculate that the eshop might be integrated cross platform.
I asked a similar question about using flash cards either in this thread or a related one, and someone said the issue is that the cards have to be licensed/manufactured by Nintendo... at least that's how they do it now. Perhaps if there is a big 3rd party developer push that wouldn't be an issue any longer.

MisterHero

Luigison said:
This SNES talk got me wondering about the price of Blu-ray and DVD vs. solid state memory chips like the 3DS uses. Could we possible be going full circle in the future? Imagine the reaction if Nintendo went BACK to cartridges/chips in a home console.
lol I've been wondering about this a long time

non-disk storage mediums are always getting smaller physically and cheaper while retaining higher capacities

they could also provide their own memory storage and space for patches/updates alongside the console and external storage devices (such as SD cards)

and like SNES cartridges could they actually improve the hardware

they probably would consider it if they read much faster than disk mediums

Dual-layer DVDs hold a lot but the games can suffer [more] from load times

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Iwata: We'd like you to be on board our next console, it's HD!
3rd parties: Ok
Iwata: We're going back to cartridges!
3rd parties: ...
Iwata: *laughs*

Is it possible the source that described it as resembling a modern SNES is European? If that's the case, wouldn't it more closely resemble the Super Famicom and European SNES?

skvur7.jpg

(Image totally taken from NekoFever.com and rehosted.)

Luigison said:

The price of the cartridges, that the publishers need to pay, are too expensive (I can't find the thread where a developer did a rant on the price of the DS cartridges vs the optical media for the other consoles). If Nintendo wants the support from the 3rd parties on their home consoles, they will also need to keep the price that the publishers need to pay for each copy low.

Deku

Banned
Hugh Buelow said:
The price of the cartridges, that the publishers need to pay, are too expensive (I can't find the thread where a developer did a rant on the price of the DS cartridges vs the optical media for the other consoles). If Nintendo wants the support from the 3rd parties on their home consoles, they will also need to keep the price that the publishers need to pay for each copy low.

Source?

i honestly can't comprehend how a console that most likely will
a) use a disc drive
b) have no controller ports
c) supposedly the size of the original xbox 360

will resemble the SNES .....unless
it has big ass on/reset buttons (and uses catridges?) I mean what else can they be describing?
that it's gonna be a rectangular box that is positioned horizontally? gee thats so informative.

Deku said:

AceBandage described it well: Blu-rays and other discs cost pennies to press. Carts cost a few dollars. The difference seems minimal, but it really adds up when you're making thousands of copies..

EDIT: Hugh Buelow's reply is better.

DoomXploder7: I think it might resemble the color scheme of the system. Perhaps its curves or a more angular design? Aesthetic touches like that, not necessarily something so overt as giant, rectangular power buttons.

Wolves Evolve said:
The Sam Kennedy statement about it being likely that you'll still want to play COD on the other consoles is very telling. I think it indicates that the controller choices will not be remotely like a standard dual shock, or that the online services won't be ramped up as much as we think.
The appeal of Stream or whatever isn't remotely centered on its online infrastructure. That pot of gold is locked down by Microsofts smaug the dragon and Sony. The only thing that I am excited for is seeing Nintendo 1st party given the artistic freedom I've been dreaming of

Deku

Banned
Those are reasonable complaints but none pertain to the actual costs of in that case DS cards costing more than discs. The core issue was turnaround of manufacturing and upfront investment required.

You're in fantasyland to think it cost publishers pennies to sell a disc game.

Hiltz

I believe Retro Studios originally asked Nintendo if they could do Donkey Kong Country but Nintendo declined back on the GameCube. Nintendo then asked Retro if it was still interested in making the game on the Wii.

DCKR 2 would be cool and all but I'd also like them to do something else. It's been 5 years now and Retro has only made 2 new games along with an updated port of Prime 1 and 2.

Man if IGN ends up being right the amount of crow that will have to be eaten will be astronomical. I look forward to the wee mornings hours of this Tuesday.

Luigison

DoomXploder7 said:
a) use a disc drive

it has big ass on/reset buttons (and uses catridges?) I mean what else can they be describing?
that it's gonna be a rectangular box that is positioned horizontally? gee thats so informative.
The controller with A, B, X, Y, L, and R buttons. The colored buttons? Red, green, blue, and yellow? Or the light and dark purple?

thefro

BruceLeeRoy said:
The appeal of Stream or whatever isn't remotely centered on its online infrastructure. That pot of gold is locked down by Microsofts smaug the dragon and Sony. The only thing that I am excited for is seeing Nintendo 1st party given the artistic freedom I've been dreaming of

All they have to do is send Reggie down the road to Valve and get them to put Steam on Stream and much money and laughing would be exchanged.

Luigison said:
The controller with A, B, X, Y, L, and R buttons. The colored buttons? Red, green, blue, and yellow? Or the light and dark purple?

eh they say the system resembles the SNES not the controller, i guess they could be talking about color scheme as well but it still seems like a stretch . lol i think in the end the problem is i just can't picture a "modernized" SNES that isn't when i really think about it, completely different than the SNES.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
DragonKnight said:
Man if IGN ends up being right the amount of crow that will have to be eaten will be astronomical. I look forward to the wee mornings hours of this Tuesday.

That and/or the streaming to a controller. If that's true I'm not sure how the naysayers in the thread are going to take it.

DoomXploder7 said:
a) use a disc drive

My (ignored) speculation was that it would have that raised plateau ala the SNES and you would stick the controller on top (like a cartridge) to charge it and allow the screen to display updates, invites, etc.

A bit far-fetched perhaps, but would make quite an impression on consumers if true.

thefro said:
All they have to do is send Reggie down the road to Valve and get them to put Steam on Stream and much money and laughing would be exchanged.
Nintendo will become a games only publisher before they let any company have any pull or effect on their infrastructure.

Pimpbaa

MisterHero said:
and like SNES cartridges could they actually improve the hardware

This won't happen. Cartridges back then and DS/3DS carts work completely different. Data is read off DS/3DS carts similar to optical media or a hard drive which is why it has load times (compared to old rom carts on old systems which basically was an extension of the systems ram and thus could have data read instantly) If they used similar media on this Wii 2 (which they won't), the port would be way too slow for hardware improvments to be put on the cart.

Hiltz said:
I believe Retro Studios originally asked Nintendo if they could do Donkey Kong Country but Nintendo declined back on the GameCube. Nintendo then asked Retro if it was still interested in making the game on the Wii.

DCKR 2 would be cool and all but I'd also like them to do something else. It's been 5 years now and Retro has only made 2 new games along with an updated port of Prime 1 and 2.

I hope you're right about that.

Krowley

DoomXploder7 said:
a) use a disc drive

Maybe the color scheme or something like that.

Krowley

anonymousAversa said:
Yeah that's what I was thinking. And the design of the case could have a similar aesthetic even if it's larger, what with the two ridges and whatnot

I hope they actually have giant buttons on it.. Maybe slide power switches instead of buttons!

Not gonna happen, but I think it would be pretty sweet.

Luigison said:
Maybe the new touch screen controller plugs into what would resemble an SNES cart port for charging/storage?

Posted this idea 3x on this page and nobody seemed to think it warranted a thought, but the more I think about it, the more I like this idea. That controller is definitely going to need to be charged often, and if it was inserted in the top of the console like an SNES cart, the screen would be visible to display information - think WiiConnect24 done right.

Plus, it would just be cool.

boyshine

Lupin the Wolf said:
Is it possible the source that described it as resembling a modern SNES is European? If that's the case, wouldn't it more closely resemble the Super Famicom and European SNES?
Let's hope so. The american Super NES is probably the last console design I want to see revisited. It's a strange choice either way though, seeing as how the console has different designs for different regions, no matter which one you choose to modernize you only get the nostalgia factor for europe/japan OR north america.. I really don't believe this new console is designed as a "modern SNES", but this journalist, factory employee, developer, whoever the source is has said this as his/her personal opinion, and in the end it might not resemble any kind of SNES at all.

Fourth Storm said:
Posted this idea 3x on this page and nobody seemed to think it warranted a thought, but the more I think about it, the more I like this idea. That controller is definitely going to need to be charged often, and if it was inserted in the top of the console like an SNES cart, the screen would be visible to display information - think WiiConnect24 done right.

Plus, it would just be cool.

this only really seems feasible if they only intend for there to be one screen controller per console, with the others being non-screen controllers , otherwise you'd have to rotate which one gets charged :S. though technically thats a minor issue i suppose.

boyshine said:
Let's hope so. The american Super NES is probably the last console design I want to see revisited. It's a strange choice either way though, seeing as how the console has different designs for different regions, no matter which one you choose to modernize you only get the nostalgia factor for europe/japan OR north america.. I really don't believe this new console is designed as a "modern SNES", but this journalist, factory employee, developer, whoever the source is has said this as his/her personal opinion, and in the end it might not resemble any kind of SNES at all.

That's what I'm thinking. And who's to say something as small as a change of color scheme before the reveal wouldn't ruin the whole aesthetic feel that made that person think "SNES" to begin with?

DoomXploder7 said:
this only really seems feasible if they only intend for there to be one screen controller per console, with the others being non-screen controllers , otherwise you'd have to rotate which one gets charged :S. though technically thats a minor issue i suppose.

Not really. You could just charge the others via USB or they could sell/bundle charging cradles for/with separate controllers. But the cool part of the concept is a) the throwback to days of inserting a cartridge and b) being able to look over at your system (which is usually always in the same place unlike controllers which are often left lying around god-knows-where) and seeing if you have any new messages or game updates.

Luigison

DoomXploder7 said:
Considering the thickness of modern touchscreens like the iPod/iPhone maybe four would fit in the console to charge and still be about the thickness of a single SNES cart.

Fourth Storm said:
Not really. You could just charge the others via USB or they could sell/bundle charging cradles for/with separate controllers. But the cool part of the concept is a) the throwback to days of inserting a cartridge and b) being able to look over at your system (which is usually always in the same place unlike controllers which are often left lying around god-knows-where) and seeing if you have any new messages or game updates.

This is a cool idea. A passive notification system even if the console is in standby that would simply illuminate if you had a message, update, invite, etc.

edit: pic above looks pretty sweet

M74

D-Pad said:
Speaking of, very few seem to be taking a crack at the console design mock-up thing. Only one I've seen at http://gameusagi.com/?p=1702 that looks like a "modernized SNES".

[image]
That's... not terrible.

This is the worst thing about speculation mock-ups. Somebody always comes up with a better design than the real thing.

M74 said:
That's... not terrible.

This is the worst thing about speculation mock-ups. Somebody always comes up with a better design than the real thing.

it's not terrible because there doesn't seem to be a sense of scale in that mockup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom