• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
Billychu said:
Why can't they just let you make an "adult" account and a "child" account? FFS, Nintendo, don't put parental controls in your game systems and then treat everyone like a child anyway.

I agree with this but I think its more about Nintendo not understanding the online space very much at all. In the past they've been completely dismissive of online and over the years they've talked about making improvements but have never come with the goods. If the 3ds is any indication of what we can expect from Nintendo's next online efforts I'm not expecting much. Then again I never expect much from Nintendo's online features.

emb

Was it really a year ago that we got that Kirby trailer, Pandora's Tower, etc? Seems way too recent. Time flies I guess.

And yep, the 7th is a Tuesday.

evangd007

1-D_FTW said:
Example of what I consider the premier online infrastructure in the world: Steam.

At this point, I think it's much shorter to list the things Nintendo does match Steam on.

Nintendo seems pathologically bent of protecting kids from pedos (or Japanese from people who are rude and mean). This isn't something that can be accomplished unless you totally gimp your service and make it completely suck. And the kids aren't some delicate flowers who needs protecting anyhow. All it does is force people to go elsewhere if they prioritize online gaming. And that doesn't even begin to address the craptacular store.

It was a concern in 2006 when the internet was a scary place that only kids, nerds, and pedos were on. Now, thanks to youtube, twitter, and facebook, everyone is on the internet. Since Nintendo, according to the rumors, are designing this thing with the modern marketplace in mind (e.g. making it easy for third party ports), they probably have noticed this trend and will design their online system accordingly.

Caramello

emb said:
Was it really a year ago that we got that Kirby trailer, Pandora's Tower, etc? Seems way too recent. Time flies I guess.

And yep, the 7th is a Tuesday.

No it was January this year, Nintendo have multiple investor meetings a year to coincide with the end of each financial quarter.

Also we didn't get a Pandora's Tower trailer at the meeting, just the name and logo. Edit: Read you're post wrong sorry.

watershed

Banned
Man has anyone ever browsed through the free online patent database website before? Nintendo had a bunch of stuff published on the 12th of this month. Its interesting stuff but hard to makes sense out of. There's some stuff for taking data from a game machine connected to a tv and transporting it to a "high portability output device" that redisplays select portions of the game information taken from the console etc. Hard to figure if its 3ds related, 6" screen related, or just another random Nintendo patent.

ombz

I doubt they will show anything if they even mention wii 2. It'll probably just be an announcement that wii 2 will be shown at e3 just to please shareholders.

jax (old)

Banned
The bizarre thing about ghat controller mockup to me is this... They had 5-6 years of wii wand success and now they completely throw it out for that standardizedish controller...is the wand an addon en? Hmmm

artwalknoon said:
Man has anyone ever browsed through the free online patent database website before? Nintendo had a bunch of stuff published on the 12th of this month. Its interesting stuff but hard to makes sense out of. There's some stuff for taking data from a game machine connected to a tv and transporting it to a "high portability output device" that redisplays select portions of the game information taken from the console etc. Hard to figure if its 3ds related, 6" screen related, or just another random Nintendo patent.

You got a link to that patent?

udivision

Jax said:
The bizarre thing about ghat controller mockup to me is this... They had 5-6 years of wii wand success and now they completely throw it out for that standardizedish controller...is the wand an addon en? Hmmm

Maybe they don't think it'll work twice.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
artwalknoon said:
Link? That sounds directly related to the rumors.

Caramello

artwalknoon said:

Need links!! Could give some more clues as to the functions that Nintendo have in mind for the controller

Fourth Storm said:
Posted this idea 3x on this page and nobody seemed to think it warranted a thought, but the more I think about it, the more I like this idea. That controller is definitely going to need to be charged often, and if it was inserted in the top of the console like an SNES cart, the screen would be visible to display information - think WiiConnect24 done right.

Plus, it would just be cool.

People discussed this very idea when the 6" touchscreen rumor was posted - it was even part of one of the first mockups.

However, I think the whole idea makes totally sense (at least if the touchscreen rumor is true) and it's very likely to happen, especially when you consider the fact, that Nintendo even packed in the cradle for the 3DS...

watershed

Banned
BlackNMild2k1 said:
You got a link to that patent?

Yeah but most of it is old stuff like I'm reading stuff right now that relates to the original wiimote and the first ds. Nothing particularly exciting though if you wanna read the one about a portable device that can carry a select portion of a game image from a console. It also talks about printing out a game image which I don't understand. Here's some interesting quotes:

"the arbitrarily selected part of the object image is stored not as the image data indicative of the image itself but as its transition information which is far smaller in data amount than the image data itself. The selected object image is then recovered based on the stored transition information with the object image generation program. Therefore, since the amount of data to be stored and reproduced is small, it is possible to store and recover more images at higher speed.

In a preferred embodiment described later, the object image generation program is stored in ROM, and

the transition information storage device may be constructed of rewritable non-volatile memory. In this case, since the transition information storage device is constructed of rewritable non-volatile memory, the transition information stored in the transition information storage device is updated."

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7924293.html
it also has images of the process in a linked pdf. I'm not suggesting there's anything useful there so don't think I'm pushing rumors.

watershed

Banned
Okay I want to be very clear that I'm not suggesting any of these are related to the N6 or anything at all in fact most are patents for the original wii and ds. So don't flame me. But because some people may be interested in reading patents for info the link I'm including here is a search result of all patents recently published that mention Nintendo in any form. The most recent are at the top.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/re...ange=all&stemming=on&sort=chron&search=Search

wwm0nkey

so now that we pretty much know its official that project cafe is the code name, do you think they will mention it in the investors meeting or at E3?

Black-Wind said:
Yeah, and at the last investor meeting this time last year he revealed Pokemon B&W along with other games to reassure investors. He didn't make anything fancy, just showed a few of the logos and a few trailers and confirmed that there were more games coming and so on.

We know that a new Pokemon game is gonna be revealed in a DS+3DS JPN mag next month, I'm sure he will bring that up.
How did he announce a Pokemon game at the May 7th investor conference when the games were announced a month earlier at April 9th?

Iwata time travel magic?

Instro

ShockingAlberto said:
How did he announce a Pokemon game at the May 7th investor conference when the games were announced a month earlier at April 9th?

Iwata time travel magic?

Cafe is a time machine confirmed.

Eteric Rice

artwalknoon said:
That's nice now if only Nintendo would actually put some in-game invites into some of their 1st party games. The 3ds's friend list needs something to do other than reading status updates.

Should be coming with the next update, I believe.

What I want to see is friend invites, though.

Friend invites, and an account system would leave me rather satisfied with the online of the 3DS.

The friends list on the 3DS seems to be slow to update, as well. Might just be me, though.

One of those patents indicates a claim for a Parent/Child relationship between controllers and consoles, and the user's ability to choose a Parent within wireless range.

Another indicates a patent on a frame-by-frame communication between a Wiimote and another system.

But I can't find anything new or revolutionary in there.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Wolves Evolve said:
One of those patents indicates a claim for a Parent/Child relationship between controllers and consoles, and the user's ability to choose a Parent within wireless range.

Another indicates a patent on a frame-by-frame communication between a Wiimote and another system.

But I can't find anything new or revolutionary in there.
You most likely won't either. Any of the groundbreaking ones you might expect to see won't be public for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom