• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sega plans on bringing back both the Altered Beast and Gunstar Heroes franchises

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Altered Beast is the game nobody wants and Treasure as a developer no longer exist, so good luck with that Sega.
Altered Beast will get people's attention. My guess is they'll try and find some high quality indie team that wants a shot. People have reason to be a little skeptical, but it definitely worked with Streets of Rage, and that's a far more prestigious IP than either of these.

Altered Beast is the game nobody wants and Treasure as a developer no longer exist, so good luck with that Sega.
Altered Beast is one of my favorite childhood games. What us old sega fans dont want is people like you
Kevin Hart No GIF by Kevin Hart's Laugh Out Loud

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Altered Beast is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to games people think is good but actually is not. The nostalgia for that game is off the charts and mostly anyone who plays it these days would drop it in less than 5 minutes. It doesn't hold up at all.
Give me Comix Zone, or Ecco, or Golden Axe, or Phantasy Star instead please.

Last edited:
Altered Beast is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to games people think is good but actually is not. The nostalgia for that game is off the charts and mostly anyone who plays it these days would drop it in less than 5 minutes. It doesn't hold up at all.

I'll never understand the love for Altered Beast, even as a massive Sega fan.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
One and done.
Plus, how would they bring these back? As 2D arcades that will be labeled “indie shit” the second the first screenshots are shown? Or as 3D “reimaginings” that couldn’t bank on nostalgia and that fans would shit on before any detail is disclosed?

And guys, seriously, Altered Beast is shit. Having nostalgia for AB is like having it for the Atari Lynx - you still haven’t gotten over having nothing to play on you rich kid’s toy when all the other kids were busy having fun on their piss-poor Nintendo machines.

Red5

I'll never understand the love for Altered Beast, even as a massive Sega fan.

Nostalgia, it's the first pack in game for the Mega Drive/Genesis, so it was the first Sega game for a lot of us back in the 90's. I still have fond memories of playing Bimini Run in 2 players even though that game is shit objectively.

Red5

I would love a new Shinobi game by the Streets of Rage 4 studio, I think one of their concept artists even hinted at that or he just drew concept fan art of Joe Musashi in SOR4 style.

the_master

Great news :)
I think they will also add a bit more fantasy, imagination and nostalgia to games.

We all asume they’d be indie size games but how awesome would be a couple AAA titles on those universes :)

Holammer

Altered Beast could be funny if they did it as a hammy pixel art game. Have it done on the cheap by small indie dev and cash in on the nostalgia factor.
But it's NOT going to be that, it's going to be more of this with some freshly grated 'current year' on top.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
No Skies of Arcadia = No dice.

Literally the only franchise I care about from Sega that they aren't actively developing rn.

El Muerto

Let Platinum Games reboot them. I'd like to see both of them as fast paced crazy action games in the same vein as Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It was good in its time but a five level arcade side scroller meant to eat quarters wouldn't be appealing in that format today. Golden Axe was a similar structure and also wouldn't be popular without some changes. Of your list I think only Phantasy Star would be well-received by a modern audience.

I think adventure games based on the Altered Beast and Golden Axe IP's could be good if they were expanded and modernized but I'd hate to see them turned into Streets of Rage 4 derivatives.

Beechos

Altered beast was amazing back in the days. Alot of old school games haven't aged well at all and altered beast is one of them

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I dunno what some of you guys are smoking.

Altered Beast was fucking fantastic, cool as fuck, imaginative and had an awesome art direction.
Yes, gameplay would need to be polished a bit.
And when Sega replaced it with Sonic, a struggling console managed to stole Nintendo’s thunder for a couple of years.
Incredible that Kalinske had to insist about this.

StereoVsn

Altered Beast will get people's attention. My guess is they'll try and find some high quality indie team that wants a shot. People have reason to be a little skeptical, but it definitely worked with Streets of Rage, and that's a far more prestigious IP than either of these.
What genre would they even go with? Altra Beast was kind of weird, and I guess they could do another Beat'm'Up, but not sure how much uptake there would be.

Quasicat

No Skies of Arcadia = No dice.

Literally the only franchise I care about from Sega that they aren't actively developing rn.
Seriously, there were rumors of a remaster during the 360 era that never came to fruition. At this point, I’ve been happy with an incomplete 4k texture pack on Dolphin…but the real thing would be amazing!

Bartski

Gold Member
Altered Best sucked but it’s also is my arcade childhood memory, I’d be totally rising from my grave day one . As long as it gets the TNMT retro treatment rather than getting „modernized” into a complete turd like that awful 3D golden axe game

I'm ready for the revival of old genesis games. If they're as good as Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage 4 then I'll be more than happy. Maybe down the line a new Shinobi and Golden Axe too. Possibly Shining Force? Nah that one is probably never gonna happen

Reactions: Isa

Verchod

Altered Beast? Jesus don't bother. I remember when it originally came out, it was shit then. Maybe they could do something with it now.

Ozzie666

Altered Beast, great concept with lots of potential. Remembered more fondly compared to how bad the game actually was. Questionable home versions on computers for sure. It would be cool to remake this game with modern technology and 2D or 2.5D graphics. But the game played slow and like trash on anything other than the arcade board. Even the arcade merits are dubious. Still a legendary game with its place in history.

1980's me loved it and it was the talk of the school yard. Pretty big deal with the Genesis and Amiga/ST/C64 releases too.

Top Bottom