• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega trademarks Altered Beast, Eternal Champions, Kid Chameleon, and JSR in Japan

Kid Chameleon is not a game I was expecting to make a come back, and I'm not sure many people remember Eternal Champions either. Would be wild to see. My guess is AA game with similar style to the original if they do these, kind of like streets of rage.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some of these games are so old and so product-of-their-time there's no reason to bring them back since to be good they will have to like not resemble how they used to be at all and possibly be held back by having to do that at all. They could make a new fantasy horror game with werewolves etc. They don't have any particularly amazing lore or striking and fun gameplay elements to riff off for a new release like other renowned series like Shining Force or Panzer Dragoon. Hence their last attempts with the likes of Golden Axe and Altered Beast sucked ass. There was no real base to work off and nobody put effort in making a good one from scratch. Curious for Eternal Champions though, horror themed fighting game could be fun but how are they gonna tackle it, Street Fighter clone again, Guilty Gear it or a whole new take on their own 3D fighting games? Copy Killer Instinct/MK?

Last edited:

Ristifer

I guess my Ecco the Dolphin dreams are dead, especially if they're not going to resurrect it now, with all of these announcements/trademarks.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I guess my Ecco the Dolphin dreams are dead, especially if they're not going to resurrect it now, with all of these announcements/trademarks.

Im good on the playable nightmare fuel that is Ecco

vK7GPsd.jpg

GrayDock

Kid Chameleon!!!!!
It took me ages to finish it's 100+ levels - the dark soul of it's time.
An AA budget remake/master with 2,5D graphics and gameplay would be awesome.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Eternal Champions is shocking AF, Kid Chameleon is pretty shocking too. Man, I really want a great Altered Beast. PLEASE be good, PLEASE let all of the Sega games be mediocre or average at their worst.

Better than this, and made with more confidence, lol. There's a reason a lot of people don't know this game exists.
The fun part is that Sega boyz are blaming Sammy for this failure but... Altered Beast 2005 project started in 2002 and released in 2005, only 3 months after Sammy's take over, which means 95% of the game has been developed without Sammy.
Even the studio, Sega China, has been created by the old Sega in 2002...

Will a new Altered Beast be a failure ? I don't know but don't bring Altered Beast 2005 in the conversation... it was from another company (old Sega)

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Will a new Altered Beast be a failure ? I don't know but don't bring Altered Beast 2005 in the conversation... it was from another company (old Sega)
Lol, I'm assuming you meant to quote him? I wasn't even going to bring it up, because IMO it doesn't exist. Especially since it didn't come out in the states, haha.

Golden Axe Beast Rider DID however, and I still don't bring that up, lol. I'm just hoping for the best across the board with all the games. It's just cool to see Sega care about their other IPs again.

Last edited:

Crayon

Agreed. I wouldn't call the kid chameleon and eternal champions deep cuts or anything, but I haven't heard that much reminiscing about them over the years lol.

The fun part is that Sega boyz are blaming Sammy for this failure but... Altered Beast 2005 project started in 2002 and released in 2005, only 3 months after Sammy's take over, which means 95% of the game has been developed without Sammy.
Even the studio, Sega China, has been created by the old Sega in 2002...

the old Sega (as if there were two) was so good that it went bankrupt or almost.
I'm with Sega Sammy, they're smarter and know how to make a profit

Fat Frog

Lol, I'm assuming you meant to quote him? I wasn't even going to bring it up, because IMO it doesn't exist. Especially since it didn't come out in the states, haha.

Golden Axe Beast Rider DID however, and I still don't bring that up, lol. I'm just hoping for the best across the board with all the games. It's just cool to see Sega care about their other IPs again.
Sorry, i was speaking in general...not really about your post.

As for Beast Rider, it's also another topic 😁: Different direction (almost 99% of Sega US of that era don't exist anymore. Sega US 2023 is basically Atlus USA.

Plus, Secret Level (Beast Rider's dev) closed decades ago and Dreamcast Man is back at Sega as head of all Sega Asia Studios and more...

So it's hard to rely on the past to foresee the quality of the revivals.

Svejk

Eternal Champions and Kid Chameleon?? Yikes... there's the shitty sega we've known the past 15 years. Don't start this again, Sega. I thought we had a good thing going after last week...
Watch them Remake Greendog or something next. If you're gonna give us a fighter, give us Virtua Fighter. And why do Kid Chameleon when we have superior shape shifting character platformer titles like Wonder Boy 3 Remake and Monster Boy? Man, as thirsty as I was as a gungho Sega kid back then, renting those 2 titles were so bad, I returned them the next day so I could still enjoy my weekend with decent games.

Sorry for the hot take bitterness, but where's my OutRun? Space Harrier? Panzer Dragoon Saga? Skies of Arcadia? A real Phantasy Star? LandStalker? Beyond Oasis? Comeon, there's so many other top tier Sega IP's out there!

Fat Frog

Sorry for the hot take bitterness, but where's my OutRun? Space Harrier? Panzer Dragoon Saga? Skies of Arcadia? A real Phantasy Star? LandStalker? Beyond Oasis? Comeon, there's so many other top tier Sega IP's out there!
Shuji Utsumi said there are MOOOORE revivals to come...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Eternal Champions was decent. Problem was SF was way better. EC was a crazy game where you had everything from Barbarian dude to modern day Dick Tracy guy to sci-fi alien. It was weird. The thing that killed EC was the game had floaty collision detection and shitty muffed sound effects. In SF, when you got hammered with a throw or giant punch or kick, you saw it and heard it. In EC, you never really felt if things were connecting and hard hits didn't even sound harder.

(For those of you who didn't play the game, the fighter draining the Sega logo empty is a vampiric dude)

Last edited:

RickMasters

Kid chameleon in a 3D environment would be cool. what with all the mask swapping, and the abilities they give. they could really lean into that to make a solid platformer with both a nod to some old scool platforming and some modern 3D game design philosophy. mask unlocking new areas...could be a 3D metroid-vania style game. And hopefully they tap into some of that early 90s aesthetic too. brash and colourful but kind of cool in its own way.

eternal champions would be a cool MK alternative if they get the mechanics right.

Altered beast was alweays a pretty simple game. that one would need a serious overhaul. Im thinking some kind of 3D souls, like with an emphasis on hand to hand and beast vs beast-boss combat. that would be cool.

Now...how about panzer dragoon saga ? we need a new panzer dragoon RPG...dont bother making a new on rails shooter...just add those sections into an RPG. current gen hardware would really bring that world alive again aslong as they have the original artists on board.

Burning rangers remaster.....and outrunners! just port the origional and make it look nice on HD screens with some nice CRT scanline filters. Alex kidd and ristar...bring em back too! with more indepth modern mechanics. and respect the original art styles. they had a look!

Soltype

Eternal Champions was decent. Problem was SF was way better. EC was a crazy game where you had everything from Barbarian dude to modern day Dick Tracy guy to sci-fi alien. It was weird. The thing that killed EC was the game had floaty collision detection and shitty muffed sound effects. In SF, when you got hammered with a throw or giant punch or kick, you saw it and heard it. In EC, you never really felt if things were connecting and hard hits didn't even sound harder.

(For those of you who didn't play the game, the fighter draining the Sega logo empty is a vampiric dude)

What killed EC was Sega, SoJ thought it was stealing Virtua Fighter's thunder in the states.

CamHostage

Eternal Champions and Kid Chameleon?? Yikes... there's the shitty sega we've known the past 15 years. Don't start this again, Sega. I thought we had a good thing going after last week...
Watch them Remake Greendog or something next... And why do Kid Chameleon when we have superior shape shifting character platformer titles like Wonder Boy 3 Remake and Monster Boy?

Eternal Champions, I don't get. It never caught the vanguard even in its anticipated debut, it seems to just be thrown in and ignored in classic collections, and it's not the type of fighting game that players are looking for or that SEGA excels at. Virtua Fighter is already supposedly in planning, and a SEGA smash-type or character fighter would be more marketable than old Eternal Champions coming back, so there's just no reason besides that it's in the vault. Unless they've got some developer really into it or if SEGA actually brought legacy SEGA Sega Interactive Development teammembers back in and they could do it again so long afterwards, I see no reason to bring it back even if there are some fans from back when.

(Just bring back out the Eternal Champions SEGA CD sequel, which is unfortunately left out of retro collections and VC-type downloadables.)

...Kid Chameleon, however, actually holds the most promise IMO as a total reinvention... it just doesn't need to be Kid Chameleon. The original is janky and dated but has a fun concept that could be tweezered out and done in a totally new style. 3D, open-world, puzzle-platformer, whatever works out; unlike other brands, I don't care how "authentic" it is to the original because I don't care about the original. So as long as they find something fun to do with the character hat-switching powers, go nuts.

(Wonder Boy Dragon Trap of course already got a remake. The developer Lizardcube, who also made Streets of Rage 4, could some day make new games in either of those franchises, but they appear to instead be busy creating the intriguing new 2D take on Shinobi.)

cdd7fcb942b68772ec8156cbaea9a6beca413a3c.gif

Whoa, one at a time, one at a time... or rather, five at a time.

(Also, these are just trademarks of the extra ones, we don't know what's actually in production and how far they're into them as brands.)

Skies of Arcadia is for sure beyond due for a revisit. I'm not sure what it'd take to continue the franchise, but SEGA fans want it out on the market again. However, I see a remaster/re-release of that as a separate task from these mid-scale franchise reboots.

Svejk

Eternal Champions, I don't get. It never caught the vanguard even in its anticipated debut, it seems to just be thrown in and ignored in classic collections, and it's not the type of fighting game that players are looking for or that SEGA excels at. Virtua Fighter is already supposedly in planning, and a SEGA smash-type or character fighter would be more marketable than old Eternal Champions coming back, so there's just no reason besides that it's in the vault. Unless they've got some developer really into it or if SEGA actually brought legacy SEGA Sega Interactive Development teammembers back in and they could do it again so long afterwards, I see no reason to bring it back even if there are some fans from back when.

(Just bring back out the Eternal Champions SEGA CD sequel, which is unfortunately left out of retro collections and VC-type downloadables.)

...Kid Chameleon, however, actually holds the most promise IMO as a total reinvention... it just doesn't need to be Kid Chameleon. The original is janky and dated but has a fun concept that could be tweezered out and done in a totally new style. 3D, open-world, puzzle-platformer, whatever works out; unlike other brands, I don't care how "authentic" it is to the original because I don't care about the original. So as long as they find something fun to do with the character hat-switching powers, go nuts.

(Wonder Boy Dragon Trap of course already got a remake. The developer Lizardcube, who also made Streets of Rage 4, could some day make new games in either of those franchises, but they appear to instead be busy creating the intriguing new 2D take on Shinobi.)

cdd7fcb942b68772ec8156cbaea9a6beca413a3c.gif

Whoa, one at a time, one at a time... or rather, five at a time.

(Also, these are just trademarks of the extra ones, we don't know what's actually in production and how far they're into them as brands.)

Skies of Arcadia is for sure beyond due for a revisit. I'm not sure what it'd take to continue the franchise, but SEGA fans want it out on the market again. However, I see a remaster/re-release of that as a separate task from these mid-scale franchise reboots.
I agree. And yeah, I let Ye Olde Sega Fanboy that laid dormant in me since Ye Olde Console Wars of the 90's get unleashed. lol

Like you said, if they twist the Kid Chameleon genre up to make, say, a SackBoy's Big Adventure type 3D platformer clone, it could be much more fitting. Surely it would be better than Balan Wonderworld, right? *gulp

And for Eternal Champions, if they twist the formula up on it and make something more akin to a Power Stone clone, it would be WAY more fitting with the original characters of EC. But, I would remain cautiously optimistic on both, but who knows.

I still can't believe they've taken this long to come to grips of what they've been sitting on the past 15-20 years now. Jesus Christ I feel old.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Eternal Champions is considerably underrated. It's a good game IMO. Had a really good atmosphere and gameplay..

cireza

Eternal Champions is great, love this game. Excellent visuals, soundtrack, and made specifically for the MD with the higher resolution and big sprites. The characters were all very different and had a decent back-story. Just as good as any comics honestly. Enjoyed both MD and SCD games, and still own the later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom