• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[CNBC] Sega COO Shuji Utsumi on Microsoft Acquisition rumors: "I don't think that kind of transaction is going to happen"

No Microsoft deal on the cards

Utsumi also addressed rumors of Microsoft interest to buy the company.

The Redmond, Washington technology giant reportedly considered acquiring Sega as well as Bungie, the studio originally responsible for Halo, the Verge reported earlier this year, citing internal documents from a hearing in the Federal Trade Commission lawsuit seeking to block Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

Sega's operations chief dismissed the suggestion that Sega, which is owned by Sega Sammy Corporation, the company formed from the merger of Sega and Sammy Corporation in 2004, had any intention of being sold to another party.

"Many companies are interested. We feel honored," Utsumi told CNBC.

"We have attractive IPs and potentials. Companies owned by the owner. A strong owner. I don't think that kind of transaction is going to happen."

Last edited:

Skifi28

LXk57NO.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Microsoft out here like the rich kid in school no one likes, but he keeps buying everyone extra snacks so he can sit at their lunch table.

You gotta chill, Microsoft. Just be yourself.

Kerotan

Exactly, put everything from Sega/Atlus/CA on GP Day 1, no need for an expensive acquisition deal.
You really want GP price to keep rising don't you? Any extra value will be extra cost. You're better off just buying these games permanently on a nice sale.

Chukhopops

You really want GP price to keep rising don't you? Any extra value will be extra cost. You're better off just buying these games permanently on a nice sale.
I don’t mind the extra cost if there’s extra value but that’s a personal opinion.

I wouldn’t have bought LAD:Gaiden because I was worried about the short dev time and Nagoshi leaving RGG. I played it on GP and it became one of my favorite episodes in the entire series. That’s where the value comes from for me.

What did people expect them to say? Nobody is going to answer "yeah, for sure already happening, I have bought a lot of stocks in advance" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But it is hilarious how some folks immediately believe stuff like that, because they don't want that acquisition to happen.

Last edited:
interesting he didnt say it's impossible... seems like a lot of people here claim it can't happen legally
Well I saw some people saying that "acquisition is impossible because Japan is not a capitalist market" so :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, the acquisition will happen and there will be tons of vitriol online. If the thought of it is already triggering people, imagine the real deal.

Last edited:
"We have attractive IPs and potentials."

In other words, we have lots of dormant IPs. Lots of potential there. But we have no intention of Reviving most of them or using them.

I prefer if they were sold and actually revived some IPs instead of just hoarding and ignoring them forever.

Saber

Gold Member
Well I saw some people saying that "acquisition is impossible because Japan is not a capitalist market" so :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, the acquisition will happen and there will be tons of vitriol online. If the thought of it is already triggering people, imagine the real deal.

Dunno about you, but I think your work out over "I don't think its going to happen" sounds alot funnier to me. It sound basically like that quote from Dumb Dumber, but with console war bait in it

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Beechos

How many times in all industries does someone deny something and next thing you know it happens. Not saying this will happen but def take anything these corpos tell you with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Good. Maybe MS should begin to focus on using what they have instead of looking at the next company to deny from its competitors. Hoping most of the Japanese companies will continue to not be interested.

Microsoft needs to hire somebody with actual management skills and a creative eye to manage all these studios.

XBOX has enough firepower now to take out a small country, they don't need anymore, let them cook with the vast ingredients they have and see what they create.

Top Bottom