• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says the Activision Blizzard acquisition is ‘moving fast’ (VGC)

kingfey

Banned

Microsoft president Brad Smith has claimed the company’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard is proceeding relatively quickly.

It was announced in January that the Xbox owner intends to purchase Activision Blizzard in a $68.7 billion deal – the game industry’s biggest ever by some distance.

Microsoft said at the time that it hoped to complete the deal in the first half of 2023, subject to closing conditions and the completion of a regulatory review.

The US Federal Trade Commission is handling an antitrust review of the deal to determine whether the takeover would give Xbox an unfair competitive advantage.

And in a new interview with Belgian business publication L’Echo, Smith said Microsoft has also received requests for information on the deal from European and UK competition regulators.

was now entering its middle phase.

“It’s moving fast, at least fast enough for an acquisition of this size,” said Smith. “We have received requests for information on this subject here in Brussels, but also in London and Washington. We answer questions, we give briefings and we provide the information requested.

“One of our attorneys summed it up nicely by saying, ‘We’re coming to the end of the beginning and now we’re entering the beginning of the middle.’

“It’s a long process and we’re still at the stage where we’re answering questions. For us, of course, the sooner it is done the better, but we will respect the process.”

Microsoft’s proposed merger with Activision Blizzard would give the Xbox maker exclusive ownership of franchises including Call of Duty, Warcraft, Overwatch, Crash Bandicoot and Candy Crush.

Should it gain regulatory approval, Microsoft has said it will continue to release Activision Blizzard games, including Call of Duty titles, for PlayStation consoles following the acquisition and beyond existing contractual agreements, and that it wants to make more of the publisher’s games available to Nintendo players too.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Animated GIF

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I'm curious to see how things change with Actiblizzion games if this deal goes through. I'd love a "call of duty as a platform" honestly. I understand that potentially cut revenue by not having an annual release, but I think it'd be better for the game as a whole since you would stop fracturing the playerbase every year.

skit_data

If that makes you feel better to believe that, go ahead, but there's no way the middle part takes a whole year. This part is usually the fastest actually.
It’s entirely possible, but I’m suggesting each ”part” to take ~6 months if the beginning part is anything to go by.

kingfey

Banned
It’s entirely possible, but I’m suggesting each ”part” to take ~6 months if the beginning part is anything to go by.
It depends on what information the ftc wants. Usually deals close faster, if both ftc and the purchaser cooperate faster.

ManaByte

It depends on what information the ftc wants. Usually deals close faster, if both ftc and the purchaser cooperate faster.

Yea looking at a similar sized merger, Disney/Fox approval went really fast. The only thing that slowed it down during regulatory approval was one country flipped a fit over Disney owning the regional sports networks; which they quickly divested, and then it flew through approval.

Mr.ODST

If it completed earlier, MS will most likely add every Blizzard game to gamepass like bethesda did?

It wont happen but if MW2 ever game to gamepass day one how much of a pull would that be to people to the service?

Kssio_Aug

If it completed earlier, MS will most likely add every Blizzard game to gamepass like bethesda did?

It wont happen but if MW2 ever game to gamepass day one how much of a pull would that be to people to the service?
It was always said that every MS 1st party game would be on Game Pass day one. I understand that recently after an acquisition it might not happen due to contract reasons, but yeah, every Activision game, including CoD should go to GP, and then start to release there day one. At least that's how it's suppose to be nowadays.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I don't think we should realistically expect *every* game, even Bethesda didn't add every game.

*longingly looks at Wet on Xbox 360* (It's not even on the BC list sigh)

Topher

Gold Member
Latching on to the FTC as a last hope this doesn’t go through 😅

I’d rather bet my money on MS’s army of real life lawyers than listen to what any nobody on this forum has to say about M&A’s 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, if I were a betting man then my money would be on MS getting this done. No doubt in my mind. And if this acquisition helps to return Blizzard to something resembling their pre-Activision greatness then I'm all for it.

If im not mistaking them COD deal that Sony sign with Activision were before gamepass even existed

I don't believe the marketing contract that was revealed mentioned Game Pass by name. It was broader than that.

Edit: Correction. They do list Game Pass by name, but it lists several services including Xbox Live Gold which was obviously around long before Game Pass and also specifically says "or similar Competitive Platform subscription service". They pretty much covered the bases I'd say.

Capcom-exclusivity-deal-page-3.jpg

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I don't believe the marketing contract that was revealed mentioned Game Pass by name. It was broader than that.

Spencer did say he would try his best to bring as much of the AB catalog to GP, this might have been why he avoided being specific. The marketing deals are maybe a problem.

Although, if Sony has changed some of its terms or wanted to, possibly they renegotiated that limitation. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Jennings

Okay, cool. If it moves fast enough they can bolster the Gamepass library with new games, saving 2022 and silencing some of the naysayers.

Topher

Gold Member
Spencer did say he would try his best to bring as much of the AB catalog to GP, this might have been why he avoided being specific. The marketing deals are maybe a problem.

Although, if Sony has changed some of its terms or wanted to, possibly they renegotiated that limitation. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Starfield coming to PS5 confirmed.

just kidding jk GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
Marketing contracts are tailored to the party’s demands.
The fact that Capcom agreed on certain constraints does not mean that the likes of Activision or EA would do so.

Sony has marketing deals for GTA and FIFA. Doesn’t stop their games from showing up on subscription services on competing consoles.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The fact that Capcom agreed on certain constraints does not mean that the likes of Activision or EA would do so.

Sony has marketing deals for GTA and FIFA. Doesn’t stop their games from showing up on subscription services on competing consoles.
Theres a big difference between a marketing contract and company ownership. And no marketing deal is the same.

It would make sense to compare it to Bungie, but that's too early to tell (just like with Activision Blizzard)

ANIMAL1975

Microsoft president Brad Smith has claimed the company’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard is proceeding relatively quickly.

It was announced in January that the Xbox owner intends to purchase Activision Blizzard in a $68.7 billion deal – the game industry’s biggest ever by some distance.

Microsoft said at the time that it hoped to complete the deal in the first half of 2023, subject to closing conditions and the completion of a regulatory review.

The US Federal Trade Commission is handling an antitrust review of the deal to determine whether the takeover would give Xbox an unfair competitive advantage.

And in a new interview with Belgian business publication L’Echo, Smith said Microsoft has also received requests for information on the deal from European and UK competition regulators.

was now entering its middle phase.

“It’s moving fast, at least fast enough for an acquisition of this size,” said Smith. “We have received requests for information on this subject here in Brussels, but also in London and Washington. We answer questions, we give briefings and we provide the information requested.

“One of our attorneys summed it up nicely by saying, ‘We’re coming to the end of the beginning and now we’re entering the beginning of the middle.’

“It’s a long process and we’re still at the stage where we’re answering questions. For us, of course, the sooner it is done the better, but we will respect the process.”

Microsoft’s proposed merger with Activision Blizzard would give the Xbox maker exclusive ownership of franchises including Call of Duty, Warcraft, Overwatch, Crash Bandicoot and Candy Crush.

Should it gain regulatory approval, Microsoft has said it will continue to release Activision Blizzard games, including Call of Duty titles, for PlayStation consoles following the acquisition and beyond existing contractual agreements, and that it wants to make more of the publisher’s games available to Nintendo players too.
That Diversity Tools already delivering

kingfey

Banned

This is something people need to understand.
Sony can't block games to go to certain service.

It does stop them from showing up day one

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah, if I were a betting man then my money would be on MS getting this done. No doubt in my mind. And if this acquisition helps to return Blizzard to something resembling their pre-Activision greatness then I'm all for it.

Edit: Correction. They do list Game Pass by name, but it lists several services including Xbox Live Gold which was obviously around long before Game Pass and also specifically says "or similar Competitive Platform subscription service". They pretty much covered the bases I'd say.

Capcom-exclusivity-deal-page-3.jpg
The first part goes out the window as it refers to third parties, which MS would not be. Not sure how the second part would even work, when there would be no offer to match.

Topher

Gold Member
The first part goes out the window as it refers to third parties, which MS would not be. Not sure how the second part would even work, when there would be no offer to match.

From the contract's perspective, any party outside of Sony and the company agreeing to the contract would be third party, including Microsoft.

Top Bottom