• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - PS5 to have 650GB of usable storage

Kamina

Golden Boy
There better be a version with 2TB. Dont mind paying more if it means avoiding external hard-drives.
However, can someone recommend a good external SSD that would work for playing PS4 games off of it?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Here is the disconnect. I said that an SSD fast enough for the PS5 will be a run of the mill. What did I mean? I meant, you can just go buy one.
It doesnt need to be certified. It doesnt need to be Sony branded, it doesnt need to be "whitelisted". Simply a drive that performs well enough
will work.

If I used the term "off the shelf" you wouldnt have a problem with it... yet they both mean exactly the same thing.
A "run of the mill" car for instance doesnt mean some arent faster or slower or bigger or smaller.
Its not the same thing as saying "cookie cutter" or "average" or "cheap" or anything else.

You will be able to go into a shop... (Do we even do that anymore?) or online and buy one. It wont be hard to get, brand specific, or
"exotic". Thats literally all I said, and people who have a bone to pick with Sony for some reason are making my statement into something it never was.

If thats what you meant, then yes we are simply having a disconnect.
Run of the mill has a different meaning than you are "now clearly" using it.
Because even in your car analogy....a run of the mill car would NOT be describing a Ferrari 488.
As the definition of the saying goes, a run of the mill anything would be the most average of thing.
In which case the most average of SSDs in 2021 or even 2022 would not meet the speed requirements.
Run of the mill and off the shelf dont mean the same thing.

But yes, there is unlikely to be a whitelist for PS5, likely when you put in an NVMe the PS5 will format it, and if it doesnt meet the spec, the system simply wont let you use it as an install disk to run games from.

xrnzaaas

It's really bad. And that number is only going to get worse when you start doing 4K captures and store them on the SSD.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
First have to see how big install games are now, but 625Gb gets you 4-8 games

AphexTwunt

You can yes, but this will pose a challenge initially as there are no consumer grade SSDs as fast as the one inside the PS5 and Sony requires said replacement to match its performance at least.

This, of course, will not be a problem next year I assume.

But you're saying replace? Can you add an extra one via an external connection?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
In what world are all games this gigantic? I mean we don't know how big next-gen games will be but Jesus.
Well 4 games is the worst case of course, but let's say you already install the latest CoD (180-190GB) and RDR2 (140-150GB), that's already halve of your available space.

I currently have a 2TB external SSD (1.89 usable space) hooked up to my PS4 Pro and have 46 games loaded on it, that's not anywhere near all of the games I own so there was no way in hell they'd have been able to include an SSD big enough to fit all of the games I buy so this is a non issue for me. You'll likely be able to fit 15 or more full games on the internal SSD and add external storage if you don't feel like deleting and redownloading games over time. If you can't get by with 15 games to choose from at once you have a problem lol. I wish we could get larger storage of course but knowing the extra benefits we get with them choosing to beef up the SSD I think it's worth the tradeoff.

Rikkori

Dread it, run from it...

o5Wk7Xm.png

Also thats not what the tweet says

It says 825gb isnt 1tb-175gb.

Then it says there will be just over 700gb usable space for the user.

Imagine having someone on PAGE 1 clarifying the misunderstanding but people 5 pages later still talk about a 175gb OS installation.
Imagine reading more than the title.
At best you guys could talk about ~125gig.

Ah, that amount of OS reservation would be pretty dumb.

But, as someone who generally only has 2-3 games installed at a time, even if they were 150GB each it's not going to affect me.

I strongly believe this 175GB reserve is BS, though. Probably more likely the console will have 15-20GB OS and then there will be another 20-30GB taken up by Astro's Playroom (which you can delete).

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The size of CoD is totally unacceptable and most people would agree. RDR 2 is also 105GB.
In case of RDR2 I took the worst case scenario (digital version). 149GB, source. My point was merely that in worst case scenarios that 650GB can be full pretty quickly. But we still have to see how big games will actually be since all consoles are now rocking SSD's.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZywyPL

Banned
825GB=768GiB, that's how much actual usable space the drive will have, minus the OS. Now, 175GB seems way, waaay too much for a console OS, and it would leave slightly less than 600GB for the games, I think the rumored 175GB comes from the GiB conversion+the OS combined.

sendit

I currently have a 2TB external SSD (1.89 usable space) hooked up to my PS4 Pro and have 46 games loaded on it, that's not anywhere near all of the games I own so there was no way in hell they'd have been able to include an SSD big enough to fit all of the games I buy so this is a non issue for me. You'll likely be able to fit 15 or more full games on the internal SSD and add external storage if you don't feel like deleting and redownloading games over time. If you can't get by with 15 games to choose from at once you have a problem lol. I wish we could get larger storage of course but knowing the extra benefits we get with them choosing to beef up the SSD I think it's worth the tradeoff.

Agreed. Given the budget of a closed box, I believe they made the right decision/trade off. You get a very fast SSD as a baseline for every PS5 owner. I'm sure many would have loved to see more storage space, but then the very same people complaining now would be complaining about the price.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not planning to go digital, so more than enough for me.

What you think going physical will increase the size of the SSD?
You still need to install games on the drive whether its the internet or physical media that the game data is coming from

Orta

Banned
So a base console, game, maybe an extra controller, subscription to PSN and another hard drive a few weeks down the line.

No wonder they're afraid to announce the price :messenger_tears_of_joy:

INC

you are aware games like warzone takes that space on this generartion because streaming from the hd cant be done quick enough and they need to have the same assets a lot of times,no?

You do realise that I'm just being sarcastic....no?

psorcerer

Banned
I dont think this is that bad tbh. Ideally you would have a large external HDD and offload games you dont play as much to it. lets say the average AAA title is 100gb. it would only take like what 20 mins to transfer a game back onto the SSD? 5 mins if using a external SATA SSD.

The fs will have 64K blocks. I.e. even cheap 500MB/sec SSD will transfer in/out in under 4 min.

cormack12

Gold Member
The biggest games you're looking at on PS4 (roughly) are:

COD (200GB)
GT:S (110GB) w/ patches +eScapes
The Division 2 (100GB)
Destiny 2 (150GB)
NBA 2K (80GB)
RDR2 (100GB)
ESO (100GB)
FF XV (100GB)

Then you have other games

TLOU II (80GB)
GTAV/O (80GB)
Uncharted 4 (60GB)
Doom (80GB)
Spider-Man (70GB)
God of War (50GB)
Death Stranding (50GB)
Days Gone (50GB)
Detroit (50GB)
AC:Odyssey (50GB)
Witcher 3 (50GB)

FranXico

I dont think this is that bad tbh. Ideally you would have a large external HDD and offload games you dont play as much to it. lets say the average AAA title is 100gb. it would only take like what 20 mins to transfer a game back onto the SSD? 5 mins if using a external SATA SSD.
That's all well and good, but we really don't want to shorten the SSD lifespan by repeatedly writing entire games to it.

cormack12

Gold Member
lol Destiny 2 hit 150 gigs on consoles? WTF

I think Shadowkeep pushed it up to (~100GB) and the update system is awful with updates needing to overwrite massive blocks of the file (which hopefully Cerny was saying should go away with the PS5). So a 700MB update required 60GB of working space for example. In my case, I had to delete a game just to get that update on it for my 500GB launch model. But they we have Beyond Light dropping in November as well which will be more content. Some content will be retired though in the vault, it's not clear if the enhanced versions have any 4K asset packs either.

Last edited:
I think Shadowkeep pushed it up to (~100GB) and the update system is awful with updates needing to overwrite massive blocks of the file (which hopefully Cerny was saying should go away with the PS5). So a 700MB update required 60GB of working space for example. In my case, I had to delete a game just to get that update on it for my 500GB launch model. But they we have Beyond Light dropping in November as well which will be more content. Some content will be retired though in the vault, it's not clear if the enhanced versions have any 4K asset packs either.

They said next-gen will run 4k/60. On PC the game doesn't quite hit 100 gigs is why I was laughing. And I think they're vaulting more content than they're adding... like we lose 4 planets and gain one planet plus a new area on Earth, (possibly an endgame area like Dreaming City, too but not confirmed). They're only adding 3 strikes I believe and not all at once while vaulting I believe 7? I wish they'd do a Destiny 3 for the next gen taking advantage of the SSD's of next gen consoles and just have a way to carry certain progress over.

I know the Sony bois are in denial, but this was to be expected. I personally expected 700 GB of usable storage max, but 650 is still plausible. It is what it is.

Ellery

2 gigs of Sonys proprietary SSD? theres a reason its only 850 gigs to become with—its radically expensive. 2 tb model would probably raise the cost another $100 or so

I would be ready to pay $100 more for going from 825GB to 2TB.

I already paid like 120$ for my 1TB NVME SSD in my PC.
100$ for more than 1TB extra in the PS5 would be cheap

Hezekiah

Banned
What narrative was I wanting to spin here exactly? Is correcting misinformation - that the PS5 has a 1TB SSD - now called "spinning a narrative"?
Crying about "Team Blue" making PS5 sound better than it is, when that appears to be your exact role on anything Xbox related.

You're probably not even going to get one so why worry about its SSD.

Top Bottom