• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Slim Reportedly Only 5cm Smaller, Not Very Different From Current Variant

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A lot of people saying this is fake (I have no clue if it is or not) but dude is running with it and not backing down :)
On one hand, no DCMA backing the legitimacy, on the other hand, it may be so close to an announcement, they are letting it be.

Would possibly also explain why the Spider-Man 2 console (and plates) were indeed a true limited with supposedly no plans to restock as they said.

Wow. 5 whole CM.

Sad Its Over GIF by Star Wars
I’ve heard that before…

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
On one hand, no DCMA backing the legitimacy, on the other hand, it may be so close to an announcement, they are letting it be.

Would possibly also explain why the Spider-Man 2 console (and plates) were indeed a true limited with supposedly no plans to restock as they said.
I agree if true we are going to get a reveal very soon and all signs point to an August reveal still

Some are hoping for another PS Showcase but honestly think this could just be a blog post but that is indeed guessing

Sleepwalker

IF its true and it is like in the video, I dont like it haha, hopefully my day one never goes bad.

And hopefully the pro has a better design. This one might be worse than the super slim ps3

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I never actually had one but I'm partial to both the fat and the first slim. Couldn't get over the grill memes with the SS. But I do want to rebuy a PS3 and those are the cheapest so yours truly may eat crow on this take some day.
I have a last run month SS. Thing is super quiet (as quiet as the PS5) and tiny. Smaller than the OG PS4 when it was next to it.

I never actually had one but I'm partial to both the fat and the first slim. Couldn't get over the grill memes with the SS. But I do want to rebuy a PS3 and those are the cheapest so yours truly may eat crow on this take some day.
I don't recommend getting the phat PS3 model, they're prone to YLOD/GLOD due to a lot of factors like bad capacitors dying or the RSX itself dying and it's hard to maintain. The Slim or Super Slim are good choices though, but you get no hardware BC with PS2 games.

Sleepwalker

I don't recommend getting the phat PS3 model, they're prone to YLOD/GLOD due to a lot of factors like bad capacitors dying or the RSX itself dying and it's hard to maintain. The Slim or Super Slim are good choices though, but you get no hardware BC with PS2 games.
I've seen this, but I also like these type of projects so I'm not against doing any of this myself :messenger_winking_tongue:. But the CECH A-E models go for a fair bit more than I think it's worth it anyway unless I luck out on a local listing.

If anything I'll have more fun modding the console (both hw and software) than actually playing it haha.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What struck me about the video was the amount of air-space between the upper (assuming stood upright with the drive at the bottom) segment's shell and the chassis. You can see the black internal standoffs holding the white plate in position as he turns it. That looks odd.

DaGwaphics

^ The area needed for the drive seems a bit excessive as well. It seems like more space than what is required for the OG drive and there was that patent for a slimmer drive.

Much smaller drives are readily available all over the place.

AFGGS21082055-Bcz.jpg

The fact that Sony hasn't jumped on this. Maybe it's real, maybe it isn't but I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out to be fake.

sinnergy

^ The area needed for the drive seems a bit excessive as well. It seems like more space than what is required for the OG drive and there was that patent for a slimmer drive.

Much smaller drives are readily available all over the place.

AFGGS21082055-Bcz.jpg

The fact that Sony hasn't jumped on this. Maybe it's real, maybe it isn't but I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out to be fake.
They want to keep their design language for PS5.

LordOfChaos

The "weird" black slats make instant sense to me, you pop off one of the panel quadrants, pop on a disk drive, and it just fits, that makes sense

I am underwhelmed that it's almost no smaller though. Even before the full node die shrink they were removing internal heatsink components as it was overbuilt and dropped some power with RAM I think. I never minded the PS5 design, I just wanted it to be shrunk more.

LordOfChaos

A lot of people saying this is fake (I have no clue if it is or not) but dude is running with it and not backing down :)

I say it's real. Slotting the disk drive in by replacing the bottom quadrant and making it a design feature with the black slats just makes sense, and it was very quick after we saw the other thing that looked like it.

Not a Slim, just a unified chassis that's easier on logistics.

DaGwaphics

They want to keep their design language for PS5.

I wasn't talking about going with a usb drive, just that they could have mimicked the shape of the OG model more with a smaller drive. The bump out for the drive is a lot larger on this one, or at least appears that way.

Hopefully it doesn't look too bad with the drive not attached. I really expected a well polished slim like with PS3/4 and was all set to upgrade to one of those. The fact that it remains this ugly and now it's shiny to boot, it keeps getting worse. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I wonder when we'll get an announcement. Didn't the PS4 Slim get revealed around August 2016 and came out September or something?

edit: it was revealed and released in September 2016.

Hopefully something soon then :)

Last edited:
First thing I thought when I saw this was: could be a 3D printed object and it's actually also quite slimmer than the PS5. The digital edition of this (without the bulky Bluray drive) could be seen as the real slim model.

Last edited:
What do you mean? It was obvious from the start it's just the case and panels, it doesn't mean it's fake.

I've changed my mind on these two leaks, I initially called fake as well but now Tom Henderson has pretty much confirmed it being legit.

There it is confirming that it is an empty casing, not that it is fake.

DeVeAn

that's what i have on mine, it is completly silent even when the fan spins, but the buzzing sound from the PSU is awful
het's worse with 120hz games
Yeah I’ve had that buzzing sound on launch unit. Sound of it changes depending what screen I’m on. Annoying.

LordOfChaos

Yeah I’ve had that buzzing sound on launch unit. Sound of it changes depending what screen I’m on. Annoying.

I know this is an issue and it wasn't a PS5 I fixed like this, but I did fix some electronically buzzy speakers and a monitor with a surge suppressor with good power filtration, I wonder if anyone's had luck with that

I really hope they just give a shit about it in the new chassis tho

They officially announced PS4 Slim during the Playstation meeting event, alongside with PS4 Pro. Though event was mostly dedicated to PS4 Pro of course.
Oh, I see! I must have missed that or I simply didn't care that much back then about the PS4 slim revision as I was only interested in seeing what the PS4 Pro was capable of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom