• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 Pro Codenamed "Trinity" targeting Late 2024 (some alleged specs leaked)

Would you upgrade from your current PS5?

• For sure

Votes: 377 41.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 131 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 127 13.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 140 15.2%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 145 15.8%

• Total voters

Luigi Mario

Is colty here right? MS will not respond with a Pro console of their own?
Imagine all the game tech breakdowns and how bad it would look for Xbox.

Wait, makes sense why DF is so against the PS5 Pro.
You have to remember, Microsoft revealed their "Project Scorpio" hardware, which would become the Xbox One X, before the PS4 Pro even got announced and initial leaks were already hinting at a clear performance advantage in favor of One X.
So, for Digital Foundry to let it slip that Microsoft told them that they consider the Xbox Series X as their mid-gen refresh and Tom Henderson previously stating that he hasn't heard anything on a Series Pro console, makes me inclined to believe it isn't planned for now.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I just hope this has an X3D Cpu, make it special!

If its X3D and equivalent of like a 4070 in performance then its a no brained day one.

Knowing me, it's day one no matter what but it would be nice if it had something really special about it like an x3D chip. Whoever puts one of those in a console is gonna be laughing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Which is only more to my point that trying to run 8K would be a waste when we're nowhere near maxing out 4K visuals on consoles
Well this is the problem these companies run into with this stuff. Sony can't go out there and say, "buy this PS5 pro so you can get a higher base resolution before FSR reconstruction, and you can get 25% more rays in ray tracing application!" So they have to throw out a higher resolution but it's just nonsensical at this point, like yea who gives a crap about 8K?

I just hope this has an X3D Cpu, make it special!

If its X3D and equivalent of like a 4070 in performance then its a no brained day one.

Knowing me, it's day one no matter what but it would be nice if it had something really special about it like an x3D chip. Whoever puts one of those in a console is gonna be laughing.

It's an APU, I doubt they'll go through the trouble of X3D. Most likely just overclock what's in there now.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well this is the problem these companies run into with this stuff. Sony can't go out there and say, "buy this PS5 pro so you can get a higher base resolution before FSR reconstruction, and you can get 25% more rays in ray tracing application!" So they have to throw out a higher resolution but it's just nonsensical at this point, like yea who gives a crap about 8K?

It's an APU, I doubt they'll go through the trouble of X3D. Most likely just overclock what's in there now.

Would an apu stop them from being able to do the x3d type chip?

That's a shame

diffusionx

Gold Member
Would an apu stop them from being able to do the x3d type chip?

That's a shame
No - the 7xxx X3D have built in GPUs, although they really suck. But, you know, it's a bigger lift, thus more cost, etc.

Probably won't happen for Pro but I would not be surprised if huge cache is a feature of the PS6.

Last edited:

CHEROKEEE

What percentage of the population owns 8k TVs?
...yeah and on top of that: WHAT percentage of the population has suddenly developed the eyesight of a Dragonfly in order to even fucking SEE the benefit of 8 K ?? Unless youre playing 1 meter away from a 95 inch screen, whats even the point of these needless increases when 4K is already more than sharp enough for the average human eye..? :messenger_dizzy: If anything it might make more sense for VR where you´re eyes are ultra close to the Screens but for TV´s ?? A total waste of resources just to sell ´the next bigger better thing´ *smh*

RoadHazard

Gold Member
...yeah and on top of that: WHAT percentage of the population has suddenly developed the eyesight of a Dragonfly in order to even fucking SEE the benefit of 8 K ?? Unless youre playing 1 meter away from a 95 inch screen, whats even the point of these needless increases when 4K is already more than sharp enough for the average human eye..? :messenger_dizzy: If anything it might make more sense for VR where you´re eyes are ultra close to the Screens but for TV´s ?? A total waste of resources just to sell ´the next bigger better thing´ *smh*

I hear you, and you're absolutely correct on all of that, but I still have to ask: Do dragonflies actually have that good eyesight?

Mass populace barely able to find your console until the last 6 - 9 months.

Barely ANY games exclusive to this "new gen", most are old gen games upscaled.

Bring out new, powerful console and charge more for consumers while leaving your current consumers with a now gimped version, that you didn't even get close to actually realizing or utilizing the power of.

Really LOVING what the industry has become over the last decade! Truly!
The Office Thank You GIF

Perrott

Sony probably gonna have a big showcase game for the Trinity like horizon zero dawn was for ps4 pro, so launch would be:
* 2 Ghost 2 Tsushima or SSM big new ip.
*ND will probably release tlou part 2 remake.
* Bungie's Marathon
* Platformer either Astrobot or another Sackboy

In addition to of course a select handful of patched games.
Death Stranding 2 will probably be the first-party flagship to release at PS5 Pro's launch, as that title has been known to be targeting 2024 for a while now. Marathon should also hit late next year, so that's a good call as well. I don't think that Marvel's Wolverine makes it though, probably early 2025.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It is way too soon for a PS5-Pro, there are only a handful of dedicated PS5 games currently and none are close to using the PS5 to its potential!

A lot of games already run at like 1080p without even hitting a stable 60. We're also starting to see 30fps only titles. Are those all greatly optimized games? Probably not, but there's clearly room for a console with better performance to power through them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dragonfly Eyesight

I mean, they´re always mentioned when it comes to animals with superiour eysight capabilities... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

30K pixels is pretty shit resolution I've gotta say, that's like 173p (for a square image, I can't be arsed to do the math for 16x9).

Edit: I did the math, at 16:9 it's around 130p.

Last edited:

Perrott

Can't believe the amounts of clowns saying that "native 4K is not needed" when a couple of weeks ago we witnessed the release of a tentpole exclusive title, Final Fantasy XVI, struggling to run at a dynamic resolution of 1080-1440p with AMD's mess of a reconstruction technique thrown on top of that.

In terms of image quality, that's borderline unacceptable for a current gen machine and actually below the internal rendering resolution of high-end last-gen exclusives such as The Last Of Us: Part II, which operated at a rock-solid 1440p on the PS4 Pro.

So thank god that we're getting a PS5 Pro this gen.

Last edited:
Can't believe the amounts of clowns saying that "native 4K is not needed" when a couple of weeks ago we witnessed the release of a tentpole exclusive title, Final Fantasy XVI, struggling to run at a dynamic resolution of 1080-1440p with AMD's mess of a reconstruction technique thrown on top of that.

In terms of image quality, that's borderline unacceptable for a current gen machine and actually below the internal rendering resolution of high-end last-gen exclusives such as The Last Of Us: Part II, which operated at a rock-solid 1440p on the PS4 Pro.

I would love it if Sony were to move away from AMD and choose NVIDIA for their DLSS 4K solution for the PS6. But that isn't likely going to happen. :messenger_crying:

DeVeAn

There are people suggesting the Series S is holding back the Series X but, what happens to the PS5 if this is true?

ergem

Mass populace barely able to find your console until the last 6 - 9 months.

Barely ANY games exclusive to this "new gen", most are old gen games upscaled.

Bring out new, powerful console and charge more for consumers while leaving your current consumers with a now gimped version, that you didn't even get close to actually realizing or utilizing the power of.

Really LOVING what the industry has become over the last decade! Truly!

Will the PS5 og become more powerful if there is no pro released?

PS5 owners has nothing to worry about as we have seen in the PS4 generation. 90% will own the base model and it will be the target platform for 1st party games. For third parties, they have Series S to worry about so the base PS5 will always perform well.

MikeM

I wonder if they will integrate chiplets like RDNA3 is using.

Meh. I don’t get the hate with FSR2 at higher resolutions. I almost always use FSR2 quality for basically free frames at 4k. I always compare the image differences and can’t tell the difference. 🤷‍♂️

Pimpbaa

Pro Slim and PS5 Pro, that naming makes no sense. Obviously a slim model should be called PS5 Slim (if the specs are the same as the standard).

Perrott

Meh. I don’t get the hate with FSR2 at higher resolutions. I almost always use FSR2 quality for basically free frames at 4k. I always compare the image differences and can’t tell the difference. 🤷‍♂️
Well, the difference between a FSR2 reconstructed image and native 4K rendering is crystal clear to me, even with DLSS, the superior reconstruction technique out there.

No matter the game - be it Red Dead, Cyberpunk, Resident Evil, etc... - there's always a general blur and temporal instability when enabling any image reconstruction technique that it is simply too much for me to handle, regardless of the FPS gain.

I really don’t get it. Why? If this thing was scheduled to come at the end of this year, then yeah, okay.
But the end of 2024? that’s 2025 territory.
Then what, 2 Christmas’ from the Pro release the PS6 comes out?

Verchod

8K?! Horse shit! Unless it's Pong, no chance.

Shame really, they'd be better off making a smaller version than upgrade current one. Games are taking so long to make now, that surely it'll take longer to extract the most out of them.

0neAnd0nly

People will buy it and its not targeting the casual, 21 voters in here and 62% say for sure
tihHao7.png
TBF, GAF isn’t a great representation of the overall populace.
Will the PS5 og become more powerful if there is no pro released?

PS5 owners has nothing to worry about as we have seen in the PS4 generation. 90% will own the base model and it will be the target platform for 1st party games. For third parties, they have Series S to worry about so the base PS5 will always perform well.

We have no idea what it’s capable of BECAUSE THEY HAVEN’T MADE ANYTHING FOR IT.

Other than that, it’s just a hole anti consumer BS.

Sony gets away with it because Microsoft is the worst.

Horrible time.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
There are people suggesting the Series S is holding back the Series X but, what happens to the PS5 if this is true?
The Series S is a good deal weaker than both the Series X and PS5.

Not sure why this would even be a comparison. Sony aren't making a weaker console. That's what MS did.

Or are we now accepting that the Series S is the main, base console for MS? And the Series X was their mid gen refresh?

Last edited:

ergem

TBF, GAF isn’t a great representation of the overall populace.

We have no idea what it’s capable of BECAUSE THEY HAVEN’T MADE ANYTHING FOR IT.

Other than that, it’s just a hole anti consumer BS.

Sony gets away with it because Microsoft is the worst.

Horrible time.

How is it anti-consumer? wtf

What else do you lose from PS5 pro aside from your pride?

DeVeAn

The Series S is a good deal weaker than both the Series X and PS5.

Not sure why this would even be a comparison. Sony aren't making a weaker console. That's what MS did.

Or are we now accepting that the Series S is the main, base console for MS? And the Series X was their mid gen refresh?
Well it’s easy to understand. If a pro model happens PS5 will be the weaker console and the Pro will be better. How is that not the same concept as Series S/X? Besides digital foundry claims Microsoft said the X was their mid gen refresh.

Top Bottom